PDA

View Full Version : The bun vs the braid

oddelabop
August 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Hey guys,
I just thought I would ask this question as I am a believer of the braid as opposed to the bun.

I was wondering what you guys tend to do with your hair for protection and why?

I find that my hair pulls more with a bun and I find my hair sheds more because of the stress put on my scalp!!

What do you longer haired ladies prefer? and why??

So to bun or to braid?

Kaelee
August 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Bun because it's off my neck, out of my face, doesn't hang down anywhere and there's less friction from rubbing on my shirt or other things. It can't get caught in anything.

martyna_22
August 16th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'd say that braids are more protective, at least that's what I think. I find buns prettier, though. I'd go with braid at home and bun when I go out :)

Magalo
August 16th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Braids: show off my hair, prettier, more comfortable
Buns: best protection, I use it when I don't mind hiding my hair (i.e. at work) and if I don't feel headach-y.

I like both but I prefer braids. I get more creative with braids too, and a pretty braid attract compliments (never a bad thing) while nobody notice intricate buns/hair toys. :(

neko_kawaii
August 16th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Braided bun!

I do lots of buns but nothing holds as well all day without irritating my tender scalp as a pinless braided bun. And I don't have a braid flopping around, knocking things down, and getting into trouble.

Callifornia
August 16th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I vary between the two. Normally for when I'm busy cleaning and working, I prefer a bun. Especially a low braided bun held by a stick. Being place at my nape means less pull on my scalp, and the braiding makes it stay neat and secure, plus keeps the tension even. I also love a disk bun, its very secure and gives nice bun waves. Some days though, I can't get any bun to sit right without pulling a headache.

That being said, I love a braid when I'm just relaxing, it's super comfy and when I lay down doesn't make a uncomfortable lump. But, my ends are very fragile, I really hate putting a hair tie on them. They start breaking off if I use one to much.

Enjoy what suits you, plus If you have a tender scalp maybe you can rotate between the two to give your hair and scalp a break from the downsides of both styles.

MidnightMoon
August 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I feel like the bun is more protective, since most of it is hidden, never rubs against anything, etc. everythime I wear a braid I feel like it rubs back and forth against whatever I'm wearing, hairs stick out and it involves placing a tight rubber on the ends.

oddelabop
August 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I feel like I am missing out here. Whenever I wear a bun i feel like there is strain on the strands... I think maybe I am just not doing it properly...I also fear that horrible snapping sound when you twirl your hair up into a bun when you accidentally break off a few strands!

HollyG
August 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I usually just do a pony tail tbh or have it down.
Out of the two though i have to go with bun as it's easier and i have spin pins which stop it looking odd.

I have layers so can't really do decent braids and if i have a single one at the back i can't get it in the middle or near enough to the end (hair is only just passed APL)

luxepiggy
August 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I find buns more protective than braids, because the more delicate ends are hidden and not exposed like they are with a braid. Sleeping in braids also gave me terrible breakage.

luxepiggy
August 16th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I feel like I am missing out here. Whenever I wear a bun i feel like there is strain on the strands... I think maybe I am just not doing it properly...I also fear that horrible snapping sound when you twirl your hair up into a bun when you accidentally break off a few strands!

It sounds like you are definitely applying way too much torque!! There should never be enough strain to break any strands when you are twisting the hair up into the bun.

oddelabop
August 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM
It sounds like you are definitely applying way too much torque!! There should never be enough strain to break any strands when you are twisting the hair up into the bun.

I have fine hair which doesn't help I dont think... How do you manage to sleep on a bun? Do you not get neck pains?

Hairitic
August 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I love the look of a braid :). That being said, I wear my hair up in a bun most often. I feel that is less damaging due to the hair not rubbing back and forth on anything and no band tying the end. I don't twist my hair so firmly that I get breakage when I do a CinnaBun. Now I've learned how to do a Nautilus Bun and a Figure 8/Infinity Bun. I also vary the height of the bun on my head so that any stress is not in the same place all the time. Usually, if I want to show off my hair, I will wear it in a pony with a fold over elastic as I feel the hair at the nape is stronger than the hair at the ends where the elastic would go if I braided.

spidermom
August 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I use both, although most often I have to bun my braid because when it's hanging free, all those little hairs that pop out of my braid tangle up with each other from the friction of swinging around across my clothing, and by the end of the day I've got a nearly hopeless tangled mess. It's possible to get a bun that doesn't pull; keep practicing.

jacqueline101
August 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I braid and wear it up with a claw clip.

gthlvrmx
August 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
You manipulate more cuz of the braid and the ends can get dry cuz the oils wont travel down :P So maybe try differnet kind of buns and try spin pins, hairsticks pull on your hair too much XD Spin pins are lighter :P

Try this. It's simple. The technique is to stick the end of the hairstick through the side of the bun by poking it through the side so its like getting some hair on the side, then have the end of the stick touch your scalp(head) and then flip the stick to go through the bun. So it's going Out, touch the scalp and flip it, and go In :) that's it, out and in!

Here's a video :)

If it's a huge bun don't stick the stick high on the bun and don't grab a lot of the bun hair, grab a small part close to the scalp it will help. Find ways to balance it out, each bun is different and everyone has different thickness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE

tiny squirrel
August 16th, 2013, 10:45 AM
That being said, I love a braid when I'm just relaxing, it's super comfy and when I lay down doesn't make a uncomfortable lump. But, my ends are very fragile, I really hate putting a hair tie on them. They start breaking off if I use one to much.

Have you considered a small paranda? I made one out of a very soft yarn that is just two inches longer than my hair and close to the same color. I get one more braid turn after the end of my hair and then put the elastic on the paranda. Voila! Comfy braid and no end breakage. It's my favorite protective style to wear around the house.

This yarn makes a great paranda http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Crystal-Palace-Yarn-Panda-Silk-Solid-Yarn-4197.html

lunalocks
August 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Buns are it. I used to french braid every day, but the braid rubs on my clothes and gets in the way, too. And I have stopped doing anything with elastics (or scrunchies) because of ponytail damage. My buns are not tight but they hold. I am loving my sticks and forks. I also use spin pins.

Leeloo
August 16th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Bun, just cause it’s quicker.

Anje
August 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I vary, based on how I feel, though I think buns are somewhat more protective. I don't do either exclusively.

Exceptions:
Litterbox cleaning: bun!
Car trips: braid.
Sleeping: Usually in a satin sleep bonnet. No way I can sleep with my hair up!

nobeltonya
August 16th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I can only braid (and comb) my hair wet.. but.any other time if I need to get it out of the way, I bun it. I also try to alternate b/w different buns and braids, and don't keep it in any one style for more than a few hours.. except braids for maybe 5-6 hours. Generally I prefer to wear it loose as much as possible once it's dry. :) :disco:

Arahirien
August 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I have the hardest time getting my hair into a neat braid down my back, so I just go with a bun. Braids look like they'd be so much easier to wear, and I can get a side-braid going sometimes, but they usually just don't work for me. Alas. So I guess it's buns (and sometimes knots) by default for me.

melusine963
August 16th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I prefer a bun because it keeps my hair off my neck and out of the way. I did wear a braid for the first year or so that I was actively growing my hair out. I didn't notice until it was too late that I was getting an awful lot of breakage at my nape where the braid was rubbing against my collar and was getting caught between my collar and my coat. It took me years to grow out the taper from that damage.

Paraply
August 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I wear both, but mostly french/dutch braids. I find braids more protective when I put a little bit of oil into my hair ends and lenght. I usually wear dutch braid bun. It's very pretty, comfortable and secure! On specia loccasions, I wear a side dutch braid bun and decorate it with a flower clip. I get many compliments when I wear this style :) On bad hair days, I do a basic cinnamon bun.

ravenreed
August 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I use the very soft foldover elastic ties (http://www.amazon.com/Crease-Hair-Ties-Kenz-Laurenz/dp/B00BROQU8Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376684238&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=foldover+elastic+hair+tie) and never have any breakage. I used to get split ends and snapped hairs no matter what I used, but those are doing the trick.

I swap between a bun and a braid during the day. My braids get fuzzy very quickly so I don't often wear them out. I wish I could. I love wearing one off-center just to my left and over my shoulder with a flower just near my ear. Also, as I can now sit on the end of my braid, and because if I am outside working in the garden I always seem to drag my tassel in the dirt, I often have to put it up in a bun anyway.

I know someone IRL who has a knee length braid. She wears that style every day because she says she can't get her hair to work in any updos. Clearly it is working for her!

I vary between the two. Normally for when I'm busy cleaning and working, I prefer a bun. Especially a low braided bun held by a stick. Being place at my nape means less pull on my scalp, and the braiding makes it stay neat and secure, plus keeps the tension even. I also love a disk bun, its very secure and gives nice bun waves. Some days though, I can't get any bun to sit right without pulling a headache.

Enjoy what suits you, plus If you have a tender scalp maybe you can rotate between the two to give your hair and scalp a break from the downsides of both styles.

glitterbug
August 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I do a braid everyday because its cute and easy to do and no stress on my scalp.

But if I am going to be running around and doing things, then a bun keeps everything in place.

chen bao jun
August 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I have just only begun to be able to do a pitiful looking tiny bun. And one braid on me is equally pitiful--not enough bumps. so my answer is--I prefer to do a French roll. Or else a cornrow (French braid) around my head making a faux crown braid.
I have a great fondness for braids, I like the look of one thick braid down a woman's back, but I do feel a bun is safer, and that hair is protected better in a bun. I also have jsut been becoming aware how mnay incredibly elegant buns are out there, since being on LHC and hope that I soon will have enough to hair to do some of them.

luxepiggy
August 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I have fine hair which doesn't help I dont think... How do you manage to sleep on a bun? Do you not get neck pains?

I actually sleep on a silk charmeuse pillow cover with my hair loose, but my mom does a sockbun on the top of her head for sleeping, and she says it doesn't get in the way at all.

oddelabop
August 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I actually sleep on a silk charmeuse pillow cover with my hair loose, but my mom does a sockbun on the top of her head for sleeping, and she says it doesn't get in the way at all.

Thanks! I may try this! :)

And thanks for the video on the hair sticks - I have one for a simple bun, I just never experiment any further... didn't realise there are so many different buns! How ignorant of me! :D

Sharysa
August 16th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Braid, definitely. When I was at APL/short midback-length, my buns would always fall out due to thickness. But now that it's long enough at ALMOST WAIST-LENGTH for a basic bun that holds for longer than an hour, it sags and pulls at my scalp. :rant:

Being ridiculously thick and coarse works to my hair's advantage when braided because unless in a very strong sea-wind or if I'm exercising heavily, my braids stay put. I'm also desperately awaiting when I can finally do a crown braid or proper milkmaid braids, because that combines the best of both worlds for my hair that even a braided bun can't.

Quixii
August 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Bun. At my length, braids aren't "up" enough. I definitely still enjoy braids and do them every now and then, but I love that when my hair is in a bun it's up, out of the way, off my neck, and protected.

Teazel
August 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Bun, mostly. Buns are quicker to do (depending on the style, of course) and much more protective. However, sometimes I get tender-headed and none of my quick buns work without pulling, so I put my hair in a plait and carry it around in the hood of my cardigan. :D Also, a plait is better for travelling; I can put it up in Harpgal's Pinless Braided Bun and take it down while in the car or whatever.

I do a loose Nautilus Bun (http://youtu.be/tS-BQ5OMV2Y) on top of my head for sleeping. It can be held with a short hairstick or a soft scrunchie - the scrunchie is less hazardous than the stick if the bun falls apart during the night. ;) As long as the bun is not tight against my head it doesn't pull, it rests on my pillow. Here's a pic of my sleep bun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/69_zps92fef34e.jpg

samanthaj08
August 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I prefer braid. While sleeping, walking, keeping oil between washes. Mostly because I feel more pressure on my hair in a bun and also I just feel like I look like a boy unless my hair is down (which I've been told countless times isn't true) but still I don't feel right. Plus it's fun to swing it and hit my boyfriend in the face haha :)

shutterpillar
August 16th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I prefer buns because there tends to be (for myself, at least) less mechanical damage. I can twist my hair into a stick bun with very little effort and manipulation, but braids have never been something I can do as gracefully. Add in my fine hair and use of hair ties, and it's just a mess for me. So buns it is. :)

ladylovecraft
August 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Going to have to support the better protection with a bun argument. Most of the reasons why have already been said here..
I love braids, don't get me wrong, and they're my sleep style of choice as I can't stand to sleep with a bun.
But in terms of sheer protective value, buns protect more hair, don't have the stress of the elastic (if you don't use one and I think most of us here use sticks or flexis or the like for buns), and don't involve as much manipulation to get it into the style.

Sharysa
August 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM
You know, I've never experienced a significant "braid tassel breaks off more because of rubbing" problem that a lot of people complain about. It always tends to hover juuuust above my clothes, due to either my hair's wave or my hair's thickness.

Foxylocks
August 17th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Not to sound negative, but I find problems with both of them. There are also good things about them. Braids kind of accentuate the fact that my hair is on the thinner side, but they are very comfortable. Buns tug irritatingly at my scalp, so I have to undo them and redo them several times. They also accentuate the thin-ish-ness of my hair. Oh well :( for comfort, I take the braid over the bun.

leslissocool
August 17th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Well my hair does get friction with braid, that being said, buns are just too heavy for me. Like, neck pain heavy. I also have very coarse thick hair.

I don't experience any breakage but I use those elastics that break off and can't be reused. I think buns that have to be redone every so often are more damaging actually. I also do braided buns if I do any buns at all.

oddelabop
August 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Plus it's fun to swing it and hit my boyfriend in the face haha :)

Hehe :) I totally agree with this! I do the same thing :)

Not Lynn Merely
August 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM
For daytime, I generally use a bun. My hair is too long to be professional if worn down in the office.

At night, I used to wear it loose. Now that I no longer sleep alone, I braid it. It hurts my head to wear a bun at night. However, something I have started doing is to braid my hair as far as it will go (past TBL), roll/fold it up until it reaches just below shoulder-length, and place the hairtie around the rolled/folded bit (leaving the ends neatly tucked inside. This keeps DBF from catching it by accident, and it seems to be more protective of the ends.

Bellechevelure
August 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I love wearing a braid. If I don't stop myself, each day I can wear one. Oh and I do a braid for sleeping. I have bought babys scrunchies at the dollar store and I have no breakage. :)

YamaMaya
August 17th, 2013, 07:50 PM
There's pros and cons to each. Braids in particular are hard on your ends if you use a typical pony elastic, even the metal free ones. Buns can come with a sore scalp if it goes against the growing direction and the weight isn't distributed properly. I find buns aggravate my scalp after a couple of hours and I have to take them out. For this reason I don't wear it up as often as I probably should. :blushing:

LochNessMonster
August 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I definitely prefer braids.

Buns pull at my scalp because I almost always do them too tight, plus people like to pull out my hairsticks anyway because they think they're being funny or something... :(

The only downside to braids is that my cat tends to sneak attack me when they're hanging over the back of a chair. :D

RedNymph
August 17th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Buns. They require less effort and get my hair out of my face.

Callifornia
August 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Have you considered a small paranda? I made one out of a very soft yarn that is just two inches longer than my hair and close to the same color. I get one more braid turn after the end of my hair and then put the elastic on the paranda. Voila! Comfy braid and no end breakage. It's my favorite protective style to wear around the house.

This yarn makes a great paranda http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Crystal-Palace-Yarn-Panda-Silk-Solid-Yarn-4197.html
Yes, thank you for the suggestion! But I do have and enjoy serveral parandas!
I still have very fragile and fine textured hair, eapecialy the ends though. They are extremely prone to crimping and breaking in buns, braids or paranda braid/buns.
I am still getting used to wearing a paranda down. I like the way it looks up but not so much just hanging down in a braid. I think it's just having to get used to the way it looks though. I had never seen one in RL until I made mine after reading of them here on LHC. I've never seen any other than mine in RL anywhere.

PianoPlaye
August 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I braid. It's part of my benign neglect program - I can get a brushed head of fine hair into a braid quickly & I then coil it and pin it into place. (Takes 2 hairpins, 3 for solid peace of mind, no elastic.) When I try to bun, I get sore spots from pulling, which isn't benign.

Selkie-
February 6th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Buns, buns and more buns. Love them. ;)

Johannah
February 6th, 2014, 02:27 AM
I prefer buns when I'm going to class etc. and in the evening a braid - perfect combination.

Misschilly
February 6th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Braids are pretty, but mine get fuzzy really qick, with lots of hair sticking out (no layers) any ideas for this? so..I wear buns everyday and they feel more protective.

Monkshood
February 6th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I prefer buns. I have some pesky "face framing" layers at the front and they constantly escape from braids. Hair in and around my face just drives me batty.

milque
February 6th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Buns keep my hair out of my face, but braids look better on me. I usually have it up in a bun when I'm out and about and don't really care how I look, but sometimes I'll have it down in a braid when I want to give my scalp a break. My hairstyling skills are severely lacking unfortunately, I can only do the simple English braid and the wrap bun.

Kherome
February 6th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Bun for sure, braids are much more damaging what with the hair rubbing on your shirt or coat or whatever. Plus they risk getting caught in doors, dipped in strange liquids, yanked, burned by stoves etc. I have no issues at all getting a nice loose and comfy bun that doesn't pull.

Olafwa
February 6th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I have calf length hair, so it can get pretty heavy. I found that buns protect my hair more, but braids are sooo comfy! My bun can weigh a good amount, so I usually stick to braids. A lot of it depends on how lazy I feel and the state of my hair already. It's braided for sleep? I leave it. Just brushed but too lazy to do a braid? Bun it! Also the season, I wear braids more in the winter so I can wear a hat (it's cold!) and put it in a bun in the summer to get it off my back and neck (its hot!) So yea, I basically love both. :o

Long_hair_monk
February 6th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I am MALE.
I prefer bun during day. Sometimes topknot like Buddha or on my nape
I prefer braid during night when I sleep as hair are neat and tidy and don't mess up

Long_hair_monk
February 6th, 2014, 07:37 AM
you have amazing hair. Compliments
One day I wish to have like you

Marika
February 6th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Buns 100 %! I find braid(s) to be quite damaging. Tangles are way worse than wearing it down (loose). I still wear braid every now and then because I like the look.

Anje
February 6th, 2014, 08:22 AM
You know, I've answered this before, but I'm finding that as my buns get larger I've been braiding more and more in winter. And just about any time I wear a hat, which is frequent outdoors. Bun + hat geometry just no longer works.

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Interesting. I enjoyed reading this thread. My hair isn't long enough for anything yet. But someday I'll get to play :)

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Braids for the win!

Back in the day, my hair was very thick and braids were the answer to wearing it comfortably. Added bonus: so many ways to wear braids! I tried buns but they didn't do it for me, mostly because I like my hair distributed and a big doorknob of hair in one place wasn't my idea of a fun style. Also, braids last longer and are protective. I've been wearing them exclusively for more than 40 years and have yet to see any damage. I love braids!

bunzfan
February 6th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Braids for the win!

Back in the day, my hair was very thick and braids were the answer to wearing it comfortably. Added bonus: so many ways to wear braids! I tried buns but they didn't do it for me, mostly because I like my hair distributed and a big doorknob of hair in one place wasn't my idea of a fun style. Also, braids last longer and are protective. I've been wearing them exclusively for more than 40 years and have yet to see any damage. I love braids!
I love braids too but half way through the day all the baby hairs are escaping and the braid is all fuzzy and I have to re do it.

sachaa
February 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I feel like buns are more damaging... breakage at the base of the bun; and also some when you put the hairstick in
also braids look 100% better

Aderyn
February 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Both, just depends. I prefer braids for sleeping (more comfortable, buns just fall apart from my rolling around) and around the house. Buns when I'm out and about. As noted before, with buns the ends are hidden and protected unlike with just braids. Braided buns, though, are especially gorgeous.

I wear my hair down pretty much all the time, though, and I'd like to start getting into wearing buns more.

insilentharmony
February 8th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I prefer braids mostly because my hair doesn't feel as secure in a bun. The few times I've worn my hair in a bun, I was constantly fussing with it because it was pulling on my scalp or hair was falling out of place. That being said, I usually wear my hair down (if weather permits), so braids are usually what I wear while sleeping.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 8th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I much prefer buns, for me they are much quicker to do than braids and I never seem to be able to get braids that sit right, they twist when they are supposed to be straight, and just generally misbehave.

I think buns are more protective also, ever since a boy in my class used super glue to glue the braid of the girl in front of him to the back of her chair.

I sleep in neither a bun nor a braid but have my hair loose but contained happily in a sleeping cap, saves on the tangles.

Anje
February 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I think buns are more protective also, ever since a boy in my class used super glue to glue the braid of the girl in front of him to the back of her chair. The moral of that story might be that no one is safe from a motivated but immature kid. :p

alishaxmarie
February 8th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Buns keep my hair out of my face, but braids look better on me. I usually have it up in a bun when I'm out and about and don't really care how I look, but sometimes I'll have it down in a braid when I want to give my scalp a break. My hairstyling skills are severely lacking unfortunately, I can only do the simple English braid and the wrap bun.

May I suggest something? It's very easy and I just learned it a few minutes ago :) French Twist-braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYc8rJe7kTo)

There's so much I'm just beginning to be able to do with my hair! I've been learning lots of new styles and wish I wasn't too lazy to change it up more often. I switch between about 3 buns the majority of the time and generally don't french or dutch braid very often (hair sticks together even after detangling and S&D -ing) but the aforementioned french braid was super quick and easy for me and my SO says it looks pretty cool :) so maybe it can help you to branch out into different braided styles.

Long_hair_bear
February 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I like braids better myself because they are prettier, show off my length, and can be made into buns. :)

LMB
February 8th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I bun, mostly because I have just enough time in the morning to shower, dress and do my face before I have to leave for work. (I love bed!)
I also cool blow dry my hair 75% then bun it damp to walk to work, and take it down to air dry at work if I am in the office alone.
I do love braids but I mostly do them in the evening while I'm watching tv etc when I can practice new styles.
I will mostly do a side braid as I can't ever seem to get it straight in the back though!
I have thin hair and my buns are quite small however I feel that the braids show off the thinness more as you can still see most of the length.

cathair
February 8th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I haven't been able to find something to try a braid/plait off with that doesn't leave all the hair underneath the tie split. I haven't found anything that splits my ends faster than a braid/plait.

It seems backwards to me that a braid is considered less damaging than a ponytail, yet the elastic tie sits on the oldest most fragile part of the hair. I guess a ponytail can pull and cause bald spots or break higher up (not that I wear them), but a braid still uses the evil elastics and causes a ridiculous amount of splits on me.

They also take much longer to make than a bun. The hair needs to be repeatedly separated more than a bun which I am sure causes more damage if you have catchy hair. They make my hands hurt more than making a bun. They take more friction from everything than a bun (who hasn't ended up with a furry braid at some point?). Which is a shame because I think they are pretty and comfortable.

firegypsy
February 8th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I bun more than braid and find it more protective for my very thin, very fine hair, but I need to learn some new skills. I only can manage like 3 different buns that look decent.

I can braid, and frequently do crown braids, but my hair is just so thin that although I have decent length, nothing I do quite looks right without the 'bulk.'

Brielle
February 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I love braids. I think they're much more comfortable than buns and they show off my length. Buns pull too much for my liking, although I have to admit they do seem to be more protective. Unfortunately my braids get very fuzzy very quickly, which doesn't look that great.

RedRavenCurls58
February 8th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Buns put too much stress on my roots, so I prefer braids, but I have to make sure I oil/tuck the ends to protect them.

Stray_mind
February 9th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Well, i think both are good protective styles,because you can make them in such different ways, not to put stress on one side of your head all the time. I don't really think you can protect your hair from friction. If they don't rub against your clothes, they rub against each other... My hair is short yet, but one day i braid my hair, the other i put it in a bun,sometimes-ponytail.. just to make a variation between styles..

MinderMutsig
February 9th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Braids cause massive amounts of breakage both at my nape and near the elastic. I also find braids pull more than buns if the tension isn't exactly right for every section. No one has been able to braid my hair and have it not pull on a small section somewhere including me and I can feel what I'm doing. I also really dislike the look of them. I mean I appreciate the workmanship that goes into intricate braids but wouldn't want the look for myself.

So if someone asks if they can braid my hair the answer is no. The breakage isn't worth the uncomfotable and (on me) damaging hairstyle that I don't even like.

Buns ftw! They almost never pull and if they do it's easy to fix without ruining hours of work. Plus sticks and forks are pretty.

veryhairyfairy
February 9th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I used to really prefer braids because they are comfortable and easy to redo in the event of fuzzy braid syndrome, but now that my hair is longer I prefer buns because they're faster to do and braids are easier to mess up.
When I'm looking for comfort (plane, train, automobile ride), I wear a braid or two, but all other times it is bunned safely away.
I think there's damage to be had from both styling methods, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Verdandi
February 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Braids, if it's just my personal preference, because they don't require re-doing as much as my buns do. And you can bun braids quickly if needed or want it off my back. I wear buns more often than braids though, they are faster and I consider them more protective for my hair (as long as I don't have to redo them sixhundredandsevetyeleven times in one day...) and I value that a lot, since I have a strange hemline and mostly fine hair and think the tassel would be too exposed if I was to wear a braid every day.

LaReineJaguar
February 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I've never been able to sleep with my hair braided. I can do a high ponytail, but now i'm paranoid that a ponytail will cause it to break. Now I just sleep on silk pillowcases.

MissBubble
February 9th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I like more the look of braids and I prefer them when I go out and I don't want to wear my hair down. I prefer a side braid, of whatever kind, or a french one.
At home I use mostly buns, same when I sleep, it is more comfortable and keep my hair out of my way and everything.
I find buns more protective, I hold them with sticks or forks.
Braid is more comfortable to sleep in but I don't like this type of waves and my hair gets frizzy.