PDA

View Full Version : Streaks with Indigo

winter
March 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I plan to henna my hair again on friday, and I would then like to add some black streaks using Indigo. Any suggestions on how to do that without getting Indigo everywhere?
Also, how do you apply the streaks to make it look natural and not too streaky? I have seen some very bad applications in my days and don't want to end up like that.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Herm, I would think that a highlighting cap with holes in certain areas made a bit larger would be the safest bet... foils are another option, but indigo can be pretty runny...

Girltron
March 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
So far I've been pretty happy with combing it through damp hair. It's not very controllable and it doesn't "streak" though...just makes soft darkness wherever you put it.

It's not easy to apply this way, though. I'm struggling for a good way to do roots. Mainly I glob it in to my scalp area, spray my hair with water, then use a wide tooth comb to distribute.

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I second the idea of a highlighting cap, though you may also get the results you want by just applying it kinda thick and combing. Indigo doesnt "stick" for a long time on the first try for a lot of people, so even if it ends up going darker than you want it may lighten a bit, or hennaing over it will also help it blend.
Good luck!

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
You can maybe try plaiting the sections you don't want to indigo or vise versa and tie the non dyeing part aside. Then apply indigo to the parts you do want to henna (taking them out of the plaits) and then indigo each and wrap in cling wrap, not sure how foil reacts. then rinse out when done, but it will fade to make it look more natural. But yes a tip cap is probably your best best....or just get your wet hair and grab tiny sections and paint them with a brush to make streaks?? I dunno...Let as all have a photo of the before and after!
(i put indigo streaks in my hair and henna and honey streaks- i made the streaks more like big chunks so it was pretty easy)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My%20Hair/multitones.jpg

You can sort of see the streaks in the above picture, my ends are hennad.

Lexie
March 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM
You don't really want to mix indigo too thick because it can't stain as well. So the soupiness will sadly have to stay. I'd use press 'n' seal to keep the indigo from running all over the place and then foil over that so I could curl it up and get it out of the way. If you're worried about the surrounding hair getting dyed, you could try putting some vaseline on it...but I'd hate to be left trying to wash that out.

winter
March 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I guess a cap is the best way, but I'll explore my options. Have to figure out how many strikes I want as well, and how wide. Thanks for all the advice!