PDA

View Full Version : an app for measuring hair growth?

samanthaj08
August 15th, 2013, 02:43 PM
So, I was thinking. And if you know how to develop apps, you could probably make money from this.

But anyways, there are so many apps for measuring weight loss.. like comparing hip and waist and thigh measurements at intervals. I've been searching everywhere for a hair measurement one to measure growth. Like thickness at ponytail, length, etc.

Do you know of anything like this anywhere? Or if anyone could make a simple one, I would love you forever.

Just curious :)

**edit, I have a friend who can make it.. please contribute if you would like anything specifically regarding functionality, look, or most importantly where the measurements are or anything.. I'm certainly no expert and your input is very appreciated**

stachelbeere
August 15th, 2013, 03:08 PM
well... there would be a tiny group of people interested in this app I'm afraid :/ I'd love to have one on my smartphone though :)
I could design the layout - if anyone can program I'm open for cooperation :D

Leeloo
August 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I want one! When I looked for one I did see some that weren't free and at that time I wasn't interested enough. It's hard with the apps to figure out if you like it until you try to use it. So I started using a free diary app to keep track of hair care.

AliD
August 15th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I'm into app development but I'm not sure how that would work :confused:

samanthaj08
August 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have a friend working in software at my company who says he can do it easily if anyone wants to contribute

jacqueline101
August 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Okay I'm interested in trying this.

blace
August 16th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I think that this is a great idea!

Bagginslover
August 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM
What a great idea! I'd love to try it out if you need beta testers :)

Anje
August 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I'm into app development but I'm not sure how that would work :confused:
What are you thinking? Something that takes your numbers and charts progress and maybe predicts how long it'll take to get to a length based on the growth trend?

stachelbeere
August 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I have a friend working in software at my company who says he can do it easily if anyone wants to contribute

as I said if any graphics are needed I can take care of that :) I guess that now someone who would plan this is needed...?

samanthaj08
August 16th, 2013, 04:25 PM
as I said if any graphics are needed I can take care of that :) I guess that now someone who would plan this is needed...?

That'd be awesome :D Feel free to email me if you want, samanthaj08@gmail.com

curlytwirlykate
August 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Would it include instructions on HOW to measure? That still confuses me ;)

And I'm totally up for beta testing!

samanthaj08
August 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Would it include instructions on HOW to measure? That still confuses me ;)

And I'm totally up for beta testing!

Great idea! Thanks for the input :D

Quahatundightu
August 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I would love something like this. It would be great if you could see a graph of your progress and if it included options for thickness along the length so you could track circumference as well.

Feenflügel
August 17th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I would love something like this. It would be great if you could see a graph of your progress and if it included options for thickness along the length so you could track circumference as well.

A dream comes true
Awesome idea! :)

samanthaj08
August 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I personally measure circumferance at base and then every 5 inches to check my tapering. And obviously length also.

Are base circumferance and length the only measurements that you guys want? Or are there any suggestions of other features you're looking for?

So far I was thinking those measurements (and corresponding line graph over time like the weight loss apps), maybe an easy guide for typing your hair.. all really simple, nothing too crazy.

Let me know what else you'd all like to have :)

sarahthegemini
August 17th, 2013, 06:50 AM
This sounds fantastic!

PianoPlaye
August 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Plus one for beta testing! A tape measure is not incompatible with benign neglect!

stachelbeere
August 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM
That'd be awesome :D Feel free to email me if you want, samanthaj08@gmail.com

done! :) I hope we'll be able to come up with something really great :D

Firefox7275
August 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM
IMO information on identifying all the hair properties would be good - wavy/ curly/ straight, porosity, coarseness, elasticity - not just length and circumference.

samanthaj08
August 19th, 2013, 07:30 PM
IMO information on identifying all the hair properties would be good - wavy/ curly/ straight, porosity, coarseness, elasticity - not just length and circumference.

Could you elaborate?

Misty'sMess
August 19th, 2013, 08:17 PM
WOW this is a great idea! Congratulations.

EdG
August 19th, 2013, 08:26 PM
You can easily track hair growth progress using a spreadsheet. I know at least one person who has done that.
Ed

~honeyflower~
August 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Just a thought, maybe have a feature that tells when you had your last hair cut and how much you've taken off also, when your next trim is (can have disabled option for non-trimmers).

samanthaj08
August 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Just a thought, maybe have a feature that tells when you had your last hair cut and how much you've taken off also, when your next trim is (can have disabled option for non-trimmers).

We've actually been discussing that :) Waiting for consultation from my friend who's on the technical end of things, but it seems promising

blace
August 20th, 2013, 09:52 AM
How about a built in calendar/diary function for tracking washes/treatments/cuts/whatever?
I try to write things like this down on either paper or in my phone, but having it as part of this app would make it much more likely that I would keep up with it. I think that having something kind of all inclusive (all ideas together) would be neat.

stachelbeere
August 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM
How about a built in calendar/diary function for tracking washes/treatments/cuts/whatever?
I try to write things like this down on either paper or in my phone, but having it as part of this app would make it much more likely that I would keep up with it. I think that having something kind of all inclusive (all ideas together) would be neat.

yes :) we covered that one too. we thought of creating a calendar where you could write down your "hair events"

blace
August 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM
yes :) we covered that one too. we thought of creating a calendar where you could write down your "hair events"

Perfect! I am so excited for this. I really hope that it comes to fruition. :bounce:

manuGmz
October 9th, 2017, 03:33 AM
So did anything happen with this app?

languagenut
October 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah, it sounds interesting, I'm curious too! :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 9th, 2017, 12:03 PM
So did anything happen with this app?
No. Nothing came of this.

languagenut
October 9th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Oh well :-(.

Someday I will be a great developer, and I will be able to make hair growth apps and Long Haired Knights games and all that fun stuff... but today is not that day.

Eastbound&Down
October 9th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I found an app (on android) called Hair Journal, it has a lot of features to check out.

manuGmz
October 11th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Oh well :-(.

Someday I will be a great developer, and I will be able to make hair growth apps and Long Haired Knights games and all that fun stuff... but today is not that day.

Same...it does fuel my hunger for learning, I just wish I had the time.

Jas
October 11th, 2017, 03:13 AM
My husband does programming, if this is still something you guys are interested in I can ask him to make something simple when he gets home - just to get it straight:

- Input hair type (Straight, curly (can also put in the system we have here so like the person above 1b/F/II)
- Input hair length currently and put it against body markers so like waist length/option to measure how long until next marker (Kind of similar to the hair spreadsheet on here)
- Section like a memo where you can write about what works for you/your routine/changes?

Yes? I'll ask him when he gets home from work :D

Eastbound&Down
October 12th, 2017, 03:47 PM
My husband does programming, if this is still something you guys are interested in I can ask him to make something simple when he gets home - just to get it straight:

- Input hair type (Straight, curly (can also put in the system we have here so like the person above 1b/F/II)
- Input hair length currently and put it against body markers so like waist length/option to measure how long until next marker (Kind of similar to the hair spreadsheet on here)
- Section like a memo where you can write about what works for you/your routine/changes?

That would be great Jas, thanks!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 12th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Yes. I would love this and I think a lot of users here would too.

Jas
October 13th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Great to get some responses! Wasn't sure whether to move forward so told him to wait until we got some responses.
He said he'll take a look into it tonight so I'll keep you guys updated.

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I found an app (on android) called Hair Journal, it has a lot of features to check out.

I've recently started using this! Not the most user friendly, but it'll do for now! I like that you can log and rate which products you're using. It also has a lot of the things people were discussing earlier: hair type, starting length, goal length, big chop date etc. And it has a photo album section where you can log your progress on a calendar! There are probably other aspects too, but I'm not looking at the app right this second. It's definitely worth checking it out though!