PDA

View Full Version : Hair extremely tangled after doing rag curls and is frizzy? How to fix it?

glitterbug
August 15th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Hi guys,

I put rag curls in my hair the other day and my hair is thick and waistlength naturally wavy. Anyhow, its extremely tangled the curls are and I cant put my hands through it without it getting stuck. What should I do, I cant braid it because of the curly tecture it doesnt look right. If I do a bun its a bit tricky and looks rough bcos of the curls.

What should I do or shouldnt do? and how should I remove the tangles, or shouldnt I?

Thanks

spidermom
August 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM
The more you comb curls (including with fingers), the frizzier they will be. My method is to remove the curlers (or rags in this case), and then do very minimal from there; just let the curls do their thing.

When it comes time to comb through, a spray-on detangler works wonders, but you still have to be very patient and work from bottom up in about 1/2 inch increments.

Surinecet
August 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I don't know your wash routine, but if it were me, I'd probably use lots of conditioner in the shower to help detangle. In the future, something I've really found to help with the frizzy after using rag curls (or paranda) is to lightly oil the hair before putting the rags or paranda in. I think the fabric/yarn sucks the moisture out of the hair, making it frizzy, dry, and prone to tangle.

glitterbug
August 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
The more you comb curls (including with fingers), the frizzier they will be. My method is to remove the curlers (or rags in this case), and then do very minimal from there; just let the curls do their thing.

When it comes time to comb through, a spray-on detangler works wonders, but you still have to be very patient and work from bottom up in about 1/2 inch increments.

Thanks, how should style my hair now? what would be the best thing to do bcos I cant comb it?

Firefox7275
August 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I put rag curls in my hair the other day and my hair is thick and waistlength naturally wavy. Anyhow, its extremely tangled the curls are and I cant put my hands through it without it getting stuck. What should I do, I cant braid it because of the curly tecture it doesnt look right. If I do a bun its a bit tricky and looks rough bcos of the curls.

What should I do or shouldnt do? and how should I remove the tangles, or shouldnt I?

Thanks

Waves and curls are tangly it's their nature, they aren't like straight hair that you can run you fingers through and they fall back into place, they go frizzy and tangle right back up again. Sounds like you need to rewash if you want the tangles out, maybe conditioner only because that will aid detangling and be super gentle. When hair is slathered in conditioner divide into sections and finger detangle slowly from the ends up.

KittyBird
August 15th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I have to use lots of leave-in conditioner whenever I curl my hair. I mist each section with water with a few drops of oil, add some leave-in, and then I curl (cocoon, sock or rag curls). I still get plenty of tangles though, and I have to use generous amounts of oil and very careful combing to get my hair back to normal. Using lots of conditioner and detangling in the shower would also work.

neko_kawaii
August 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I also have wavy hair and get massive tangles when I perform any curling method on my hair. I try to touch them as little as possible once removing them from their torture device and have found that at my length a comet bun is great for getting them out of the way while still displaying their curlyness. When I am tired of them some sort of dampness is necessary to remove them. My hair holds curl like crazy and if left alone will still be curly four days later. It will also be a rats nest of tangles. So I tend to wash my hair to remove the curls. This is one of the rare times when I'll comb in the shower while my hair is saturated in conditioner, otherwise I manage through buns and braids to keep the tangles at bay.

So, for as long as you wish to wear your hair curly, keep your hands off! When you are done with the curls, give it a wash.

Anje
August 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Anyhow, its extremely tangled the curls are and I cant put my hands through it without it getting stuck. What should I do, I cant braid it because of the curly tecture it doesnt look right. If I do a bun its a bit tricky and looks rough bcos of the curls.
Honestly, I don't think there are many folks with long curly hair out there who can EVER run their hands through their hair without it getting stuck. Congratulations: you are experiencing curly hair.

If you're done with having curls, I'd comb it out and/or wash it out. Put some lubricant in it -- comb it in the shower loaded with conditioner, or oil it and comb it out and call it a deep oil treatment that you'll wash later. (Hint: oiled hair makes for fantastic-looking shiny smooth braids.)

Next time you do curls, barely break them up. Just take your hair down, maybe separate the curls into smaller chunks if they're like mine and just sit there like sausages otherwise. Don't run your fingers through, don't try to detangle -- any curly will tell you, you need to save detangling for when you wash. Wear your curls loose when they're fresh, put them up when they're aged and frizzing a bit. Rinse and repeat.

spidermom
August 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM
When I go to the trouble of curling my hair, curls ARE the style. I don't do more than arrange them minimally, like directing a strand away from my face or the whole mass over to one side, like I did for my daughter's wedding. They start out looking something like separate springs, but over time and movement, they loosen and blend a bit more. I let them. (In other words, I agree with Anje.)

I've also been known to twist/bun the whole mass, not paying a lot of attention to whether or not they "look right".

I detangle before I get into the shower when I'm ready to wash my hair again. I don't want all the trapped shed hairs coming out in the wash and going down the drain or plugging the hair catcher; I'd rather get as many as possible out before washing.

SoftCurlyHair
August 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Are the rags you use cotton? If so you may want to consider using smoother fabric such a nylon to help with frizz.

glitterbug
August 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Honestly, I don't think there are many folks with long curly hair out there who can EVER run their hands through their hair without it getting stuck. Congratulations: you are experiencing curly hair.

If you're done with having curls, I'd comb it out and/or wash it out. Put some lubricant in it -- comb it in the shower loaded with conditioner, or oil it and comb it out and call it a deep oil treatment that you'll wash later. (Hint: oiled hair makes for fantastic-looking shiny smooth braids.)

Next time you do curls, barely break them up. Just take your hair down, maybe separate the curls into smaller chunks if they're like mine and just sit there like sausages otherwise. Don't run your fingers through, don't try to detangle -- any curly will tell you, you need to save detangling for when you wash. Wear your curls loose when they're fresh, put them up when they're aged and frizzing a bit. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks LOL, that was helpful. Think I will re curl them for tomorrow and put it up :)

Panth
August 16th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Are the rags you use cotton? If so you may want to consider using smoother fabric such a nylon to help with frizz.

Another good material is cut-up old T-shirts (i.e. knit cotton or cotton-blends).

But yes, your problem is: once curly, you need to treat your hair like curly hair!

If you do get it tangled, a long shower with masses of conditioner and lots of fingercombing sorts the worst of problems in my experience. Indeed, with conditioner, water, a very strong comb and a lot of patience you can even comb out dreads.