PDA

View Full Version : Hair Mask Application - Wet Hair or Not?

ChristmasFnatic
August 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I have a TRESemme hair mask, and according to the directions:

Apply evenly through hair, concentrating from mid lengths to ends. Leave for 5 mins. and rinse off.

It doesnt say if hair should be wet or not. Is it a given that it should be applied how we apply conditioner? Or is it one of those that can be applied on dry hair? Also, is this ok to be left overnight on your hair?

THANKS!

Firefox7275
August 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Anything in a conditioner base (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) is generally on wet/ damp hair. You can leave it overnight but it's unlikely to give any better results than half an hour to an hour, and keeping your hair wet that long can weaken it.

Useful series of four or five articles here
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-update-penetration.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-effect-of-time-and.html

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I would always do hair masks on damp hair. I'd never leave them on overnight. All the goodness you can get from the mask is usually acheived in the first hour. I'm a bit wary of deep conditioning treatments/hair masks that claim to be effective after only 5 minutes ...

thistledown
August 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah damp not wet and only for 5 or so minutes. I damp my ends in the sink, apply the treatment/mask, roll up and clip, shower and then let it down at the last minute, wash and condition as normal. I find treatments can make my hair sort of sticky even when I rinse them out......whats with that?
Vanessa

jacqueline101
August 14th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's a preference to who ever uses it some use it wet others dry.

Leeloo
August 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I think it's best to use it on damp hair after a wash with warm water. I read from one of the awesome articles that FireFox has posted in other thread (thank you so much again FireFox :flower:) that conditioners and masks work best at 30 min.

sakuraemily
August 15th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I don't think its good to keep commercial hair masks on overnight because they have loads of chemicals which would not harm you if you keep it on for a short while but will get in if kept on that long.