PDA

View Full Version : Brushing vs Combing!

BeccaAngel
August 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM
When I was younger I mostly stuck to brushing my hair, a few years ago I switched over to combing instead. My hair isn't curly it's just straight with some wave in it and it's not very thick at all. I've heard of women brushing their hair a lot, like that old fashioned "100 brushstrokes" thing.

Do you prefer combing or brushing? What benefits do you get from one or the other?
I currently comb my hair but I also own a brush, just wondering what is the best for my hair type? I would appreciate any feedback on this, If you need to see my hair to answer about comb or brush for my hair type, I have plenty in my photo albums on here :blossom:

P.S. Couldn't find another thread on this, so if there is one I guess I missed it :P

Firefox7275
August 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I am wavy-curly: there is no neither option nor finger combing option! I don't like either because they cause frizz, pull out the wave and damage the hair so, like many wavies and curlies, I primarily finger comb. Maybe when it's longer if it gets more tangly I will have to change my mind.

Glass Spires
August 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I brush, even when it's wet. I know it's a bad habit, but it takes so long to comb it out before a shower, then comb it again afterwards, and it drives me crazy! Even if it's better for my hair, I just can't spend 25 minutes combing every time I want to wash it....

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I use a wooden comb but I'm trying to cut down and finger comb instead. It's a hard change to make!

luxepiggy
August 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I voted for cheese! I've been fingers-only for over a decade. I don't even own a brush or a comb (^(oo)^)v

In2wishin
August 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I will use a brush on occasion for styling but I am a comber for detangling and everyday.

Sharysa
August 14th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm finger-comb only, but on wash days I love using my purpleheart-and-horn comb! I can't brush at all because my hair would eat the poor brush's bristles. And then it would frizz, go flat, or both.

At least with combing, my hair just goes nearly straight without too much problem.

jacqueline101
August 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I comb with widetooth comb only and brush on treatment day. I use bbb only.

Paraply
August 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I mostly use my finfers to comb out any tangles. My hair is fine and thin so everyday brushing would lead to damage. I use occasionally a wide-tooth comb to distribute coconut/argan oil evenly to my hair!

FoxyGhost
August 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I finger comb to detangle but after that its Mason Pearson brushing for me. I need the smoothness of brushing, it can completely changes the texture of my hair. I have a slight wave but I mostly brush it out.

Syaoransbear
August 14th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I hate combing, you have to be so careful or you tear hair when you encounter knots. Brushing is much more forgiving.

Ambystoma
August 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I use a wide tooth/fine tooth double ended comb, but mostly stick to the wide tooth end - brushing makes it look hilarious (huge fluffy triangle). I use a brush to smooth the top of updos but even well before I found the LHC I knew it looked much much neater and tidier if I stuck to using a comb only. I did use a brush as a kid but that was in the 80's when big hair was in and no one cared about it looking sleek as long as you could make it huge, so my hairtype was pretty perfect for that, I looked like a lost member of a glam metal band :laugh:

ejking2
August 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I recently switched from a Tangle Teezer to a wide-toothed horn comb. I feel like it's gentler, plus after I undo a tangle, I can snip damaged hairs then and there. :scissors:

Leeloo
August 14th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I'm still trying to learn how to comb without pulling my hair out (aka detangle ;) ). I switched to combing after joining LHC and haven't really brushed since.

kme81
August 15th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I use a Tangle Teaser so I voted that I used "brush" and" "both" because I think of it as a combo that leans a little closer to brush. Haha!

sofo
August 15th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I use a tangle teezer (well, another brand since I got it for free when I ordered a hair oil) and use it on my hair mostly when its wet if I want curls, otherwise on dry hair as well. I always detangle my hair wet which I know isnt supposed to be good, but if I dont its a mess.. Havent used my wide toothed combs at all since I got that brush.

sakuraemily
August 15th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I brush because i think it leaves my hair looking better than combing does. There are days when I don't even touch my hair coz I'm late but fortunately my bed-head is pretty neat for some reason.

sakuraemily
August 15th, 2013, 01:47 AM
I use a tangle teezer (well, another brand since I got it for free when I ordered a hair oil) and use it on my hair mostly when its wet if I want curls, otherwise on dry hair as well. I always detangle my hair wet which I know isnt supposed to be good, but if I dont its a mess.. Havent used my wide toothed combs at all since I got that brush.

Detangling wet is not bad thing as long as you are extremely careful not to pull on it.

Marcellaa
August 15th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I love brushing with my Tangle Teezer! Combing takes too long for my liking

Olavi
August 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM
I have three wooden combs (one is from bodyshop, but I don't like it), and I mainly use the one with tiny gabs. I have few brushes too (two of them are bbb), but I haven't used them in almost year.

Flor
August 15th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Since I started wide-tooth combining, I no longer get split ends. So definitely combining for me. I comb first time right after vinegar rinse, still in the shower, when the hair is most slippery. Then again after I wash off vinegar. Then again after old t-shirt "towel" drying.

However the decision to ditch brushes came together with a lot of other hair care improvements, so there could be other factors involved.

Arien
August 15th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Definitely brushing for me :). It smooths my hair out and leaves it beautifully shiny! I could sit and brush my hair all day if I had the time, I love doing it lol. I run my hands through my hair to tame it down afterwards if there happens to be any fly-always or frizz afterwards. I have 2b/c hair. Although I love my ringlets, I do prefer to smooth them down into waves this way as I think it looks tidier :).

ybessie
August 15th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I switched over to combing about a year ago, but will give finger combing a try. Just curious wont broken and damaged fingernails catch onto the hair and cause damage?!?

ejking2
August 15th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I switched over to combing about a year ago, but will give finger combing a try. Just curious wont broken and damaged fingernails catch onto the hair and cause damage?!?

Yes. I cut my fingernails often to keep them short and smooth, but that's a habit which helped me stop fingernail biting and I started doing this before LHC. When I get hangnails, they catch my hair and can cause breakage. I try to cut them with cuticle scissors as soon as possible.

WilfredAllen
August 15th, 2013, 06:13 AM
widetooth comb and tangle teezer <3

PetuniaBlossom
August 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I voted both, but with one proviso: the 'brushing' is only with a Tangle Teezer or Tangle Fix. I have 2C/3A hair, so a regular BBB is not a good idea unless I want an amorphous mass. But I brush with the TT most days because my scalp loves it and when my scalp is happy, I'm happy.

hannabiss
August 15th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Wow I never could finger comb that would always break and snap my hair! And when I did manage to do it my hair looked like squashed hat hair. I would been nice to finger comb

Melika
August 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Brushing with a bbb both before and after a shower. Before the shower I finger-comb and then brush to make sure I got out all the tangles and loose hair so it doesn't clog the drain (as badly anyway), and after so I can get it up into a clip/braid and have it look decent.

The only time I get broken hairs is if they get caught on something- like my husband rolling onto my hair in bed, so now I braid at night. My hair is seemingly strong and resists split ends like a champ.

Foxylocks
August 15th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I can only comb. Brushing snaps too many hairs.

Firefox7275
August 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Yes, same as if you wash, condition or style with broken fingernails. I get very few issues with dry hangnails or snaggy nails since quitting exposing my skin to harsh sulphate surfactants (shampoo, shower gel, dish soap, hand wash).

BeccaAngel
August 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Think I should just stick to combing? until its longer maybe? :)

TheFish
August 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I prefer combing small sections with oil. I use a soft bristle brush and my scalp gets a good massage from it and the oil helps to lubricate and untangle my hair.
When I comb my hair it's only to detangle after shampooing. So yes I prefer brushing although my hair is very curly.

Skade
August 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I sometimes brush with my wooden brush and sometimes finger comb. But I have never used a regular comb.

HollyG
August 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I used to always brush, then i stopped brushing and began combing and my hair appeared to have stopped growing (this was during when i was doing the CG method) so i went back to my old ways (comb hair in shower and brush in the morning - sometimes comb depending on tangles) and my hair is growing nice and fast again and appears to be getting wavier with length

Firefox7275
August 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Think I should just stick to combing? until its longer maybe? :)

I would use the gentlest method for as long as possible, brushing is faster because it has more teeth that doesn't mean it's better for hair or that you won't get to the same end point with either, the more teeth that touch the hair the more potential for friction damage. As your hair gets longer the ends obviously get older and more damaged, they are more delicate and need even more gentle treatment. The canopy can often suffer because we repeatedly brush that trying to get to the underlayers instead of working in small sections. If you can limit grooming damage without ending up with terrible tangles that gives you the best chance of long healthy strong hair.

BeccaAngel
August 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I would use the gentlest method for as long as possible, brushing is faster because it has more teeth that doesn't mean it's better for hair or that you won't get to the same end point with either, the more teeth that touch the hair the more potential for friction damage. As your hair gets longer the ends obviously get older and more damaged, they are more delicate and need even more gentle treatment. The canopy can often suffer because we repeatedly brush that trying to get to the underlayers instead of working in small sections. If you can limit grooming damage without ending up with terrible tangles that gives you the best chance of long healthy strong hair.

Ok sounds good to me, i rarely do much to my hair unless I'm wearing it up. So thanks :)

ProverbsGirl
August 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I prefer brushing. My hair is the type that does better with it.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I normally just comb with a wooden wide toothed comb, and not necessarily every day either. If I am taking a hair photo for length though I will brush with a BBB. To make it behave you see.

BeccaAngel
August 15th, 2013, 03:41 PM
May I ask what the difference between Wooden combs and Plastic combs are? (other than obviously the material) Is one better for hair than the other?

Hootenanny
August 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Didn't vote here because I do neither. Finger detangling rocks! :cool:

chen bao jun
August 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Another finger detangler here. Brushing and combing both disturb my 3c curl pattern and give me tangles.

leslissocool
August 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
voted for cheese, I only do the Tangle Teezer. I recently switched to it from a wide tooth comb, the comb was pulling my hair out. My shedding decreased significantly with the TT.

I finger comb too. I only brush my hair once every 2 days if I wear it up. This week I've only combed it before washing. I wore a braided bun all week, took it out and detangled with fingers and braid and bun again.

ravenreed
August 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Finger combing doesn't work well for me, and combing snaps hairs. I do best with a TT or Wet Brush.

ebullience
August 15th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I'm definitely more of a fan of brushing - having said that, I'm really interested in trying out the Tangle Teezer - I've heard some great reviews on the forums and I think I deserve to start buying some nice hair supplies for myself :D

ejking2
August 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM
May I ask what the difference between Wooden combs and Plastic combs are? (other than obviously the material) Is one better for hair than the other?

Some plastic combs have a seam that can damage hair. Look closely for it before buying or buy one advertised as "seamless". Also, some people get static in their hair from using a plastic comb. Wood combs don't have seams, aren't supposed to cause static, and can help distribute oil somewhat. I think horn combs are best of all, as they're made of a similar material to hair. The plus side of a plastic comb, besides price and availability, is that you can use it in the shower or to detangle wet hair, which you may not want to do with a wooden or horn comb.

irisheyes
August 15th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I use my Tangle Teaser before I shampoo and then I comb afterwards. I don't brush or comb in between washings anymore because it isn't tangled. Between braiding at night and daytime updos, my hair remains tangle free. I just rake my fingers through my hair instead. I actually learned this from my eldest daughter, who used to have the most beautiful, classic length, curly hair when she was in her early 20's. She recently confessed that she never combed or brushed except to use a wide tooth comb when using conditioner. She said she never mentioned it because she thought I wouldn't approve! But her method makes sense to me now. Less combing and brushing should result in less mechanical damage.

Kayleena
August 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Hi to all! :) I voted, "I use both!" My hair is 1c/2a - F - ii. Here is my routine: After washing, I use a wide-toothed comb to gently detangle from ends to roots; it's easier to detangle while still wet. Then I usually rope-braid or ponytail it to make the hair shape well. After it's dry & I take it down, as part of styling it, I brush a few strokes with a Madora George Michael boar bristle brush from about the ears down; it helps give my hair some body, but if I have braid-waves, I have to be very careful not to brush them straight. I use a narrow-toothed comb to style my bangs, wet or dry. I guess I rarely actually comb or brush the scalp. Also when my hair is dry, I finger-detangle only when I see or feel tangles. Interestingly, I only started brushing the past year or 2, & even though I don't brush against the scalp, I've still had a slight increase in thickness - I'm finally at 3" thick when I was slightly under before, & I didn't have to grow out my bangs to get there. :cool: I have a big forehead. Have a happy hair day! :coolblue:

I'm now adding that I forgot to mention that I also use a narrow-toothed comb when parting my hair for styling & for hair accessories; in those cases, the comb is touching at least some of the scalp as well. :)

Mayihuan
August 16th, 2013, 02:39 AM
I used to only every brush my hair, but since switching to a comb I've noticed definite improvement, and would not go back to brushing. :)
Must say, I tend to finger-comb also, especially when my wood comb runs into knots or tangles; finger combing helps undo them gently.

I did buy and try to use a BBB to spread scalp products over the lengths, but even though it did not cause more breakage or damage than combing, it always left my hair limp, greasy, and completely flattened. :( Maybe I haven't figured out how to use a BBB properly, but in any case now I've stopped trying, and my DH (who has thicker, coarser hair) now uses and likes it.

IGIT
August 19th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I finger comb and detangle with a bb brush afterwards. I have kinky hair so after the brush I stretch my hair in a bun or a braid.

Zindell
August 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I used to swear by the Body Shop Wooden Comb buuut then i discovered the (compact) Tangle Teezer and thats my new religion. :p
It gives me a nice scalp massage while untangling my hair very gently. It also doesn't interfer with my slight natural waves...

So brushing it is for me!

oilslick
November 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I voted both. I however only use my bbb at night before I go to sleep if I need to. Usually if my hair looks oily. It brushes out the excess I think.

Its combing to style, detangle and for everything else.

~honeyflower~
November 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I do fingercombing first, then I check for tangles with my wooden comb and finally BBB

earthybee
November 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I use both but much prefer brushing.

Madora
November 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I love both. Combing helps keep my hair detangled and daily brushing (100 strokes with a pure boar bristle brush) keeps my hair healthy and shiny.

heidi w.
November 13th, 2013, 03:54 PM
In my opinion, based on all of my reading, the 100 brushstrokes a day is old and generally outdated. It applies to boar bristle brushing, which should be done ONLY to polish the hair, not to detangle the hair whether wet or dry.BBBing the hair is very specific, and one should first learn how to do it. So ask someone who knows how to BBB first before BBBing.
heidi w.

makeminea99
November 13th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I voted both - I use a Tangle Teaser and a Mason Pearson rake comb. (and occasionally have to bring out the Evil Nit Comb . . . ) My hair's straight-with-a-wave, and between hip and tailbone in length. I mostly use the comb for detangling when my hair's still damp (or before I have to use the Evil Nit Comb) and for sectioning my parting neatly.
My Tangle Teaser I use when my hair's dry, and I'm putting it up, or just because it feels so nice on my scalp! :)

alishaxmarie
November 13th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I just "brushed" my hair actually. Depending on my mood, I either comb or finger detangle. Then I BBB upside-down to distribute sebum and seal the cuticle in-between washes. I never use actual plastic-bristled brushes, just my BBB; but even if I just comb my hair, I refer to it as brushing.

CurlyCap
November 13th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Die-hard finger comber here.

Combs are busted out if I need to section parts or just want to play with my hair.

Brushes are for smoothing (boar bristle) or exfoliating my scalp (standard brushes).

anax
November 13th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I used to brush all the time and rip it through my hair before my friend taught me i should be using wide tooth comb, no i can never brush my hair and regret all that brushing so much because of the damage...i like how you can see how much hair your shedding more easily in the comb too.

sparrowswing
November 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I brush, usually with my Tangle Teezer. I almost never use a comb because it's hard for me to know when I'm pulling too hard until I hear a strand snap. For detangling I mostly finger-comb instead.

TrapperCreekD
November 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I comb and finger comb. I used to brush all the time with a plastic ball tip brush... *cringes at the thought all the damage* Combing doesn't make me as poofy as brushing if I need to detangle. If I really a really strong urge, I use the brush to scritch... So, sort of all three?

0xalis
November 13th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I only comb or finger comb. Most of the time my tangles are really mellow [just some strands sticking together at the ends] so I just ignore them and put my hair up.
Too much brushing/combing ruins my waves.

RainbowBowser
November 13th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I finger comb/widetooth comb to detangle when my hair is damp. Once its dry I use a brush.

freesia
November 13th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Only when my hair is dry, I detangle with a wooden wide toothed comb.
In addition, when styling my 6th-8th day hair (washing them once per week) I also use a bristle brush.

animetor7
November 14th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I like to comb it with a wide tooth comb while it is wet and while it is drying, but once dry I use my tangle teezer which I count as a brush on it and I use my BBB to distribute oil when I oil my length.

Treble Bolt
November 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I my hair is very fine, but too thick for a comb. When I too poor to buy a new brush (college ate my money), I bought a few combs, that broke within weeks.....I went away from those hard, child-friendly brushes. I now use the kind of brushes where, if you press down on it, it will "deflate" a bit. My husband says those brushes creep him out, because if my hair is wet, it'll start making squeaky noises as I brush....it's funny. I like those brushes, and they last pretty long.

Snena
November 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I don't understand what's all the fuss with brushing and combing about. I've never noticed damage from it. Just be gentle and don't do it while your hair is wet.

oilslick
November 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I find that brushing takes more hair out that combs - regardless of how gentle I am

Rio040113
November 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I used to brush exclusively, in the worst possible way :lol: root to tip, ripping through tangles, all you could hear was snapsnapsnap! Now I'm loyal to my beloved comb (Mason Pearson Rake Comb C7) and my hair has never been so smooth and tangle free. If I'm going out somewhere 'nice' I'll use a fine tooth comb and barrel brush to help style my fringe/bangs but I don't mind that as they're trimmed so often. I'm hoping to replace my cheap and cheerful fine tooth comb with the MP Rat Tail soon :D

Stray_mind
November 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Well, i use both. When i need to be quick, i brush my hair and go, when i have more time, i carefully comb or finger comb my hair.

NataschaB.
November 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I voted for cheese! I've been fingers-only for over a decade. I don't even own a brush or a comb (^(oo)^)v

Same here, except that I both own a brush and a comb, even though I never brush it and only combs it once in a while. Like, once in a couple of months or so :D

endlessly
November 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I use a very wide-toothed comb for detangling when wet as well as finger combing, then I use a tangle teezer when dry. My hair tangles very easily, so as much I would like to skip brushing, I'd end up with huge knots if I ever did so.

Venefica
November 26th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I use a brush on my length, a tangle teezer like brush for untangeling and a boar bristle brush with some, what was it, nylon or something to make it able to get though my hair, for shine, and then I use a comb, and I prefer a horn comb there, for my bangs.

sunflowersmiles
November 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I have begun finger combing when I get out of the shower, and I use my wide tooth comb the rest of the time. I sometimes use a tangle fix when I am doing an updo because it looks better to me when I smooth down the fly aways.

Scarlet_Heart
November 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've been trying to strictly finger-comb for a while now and I really notice a decrease in my shedding. Especially in these fall months when shedding is problematic for me.

biogirl87
November 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM
After months of experimenting with combing, I went back to brushing. I have tried both seamless, handmade combs (Mason Pearson) and regular seamed combs and both types of combs did not work for my hair. The Mason Pearson in particular would snag and cut my hair, possibly because of the shape of the teeth at the base of the teeth.

ExpectoPatronum
November 29th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Combing in the shower ONLY. Doing it any other time (or using a brush) just causes me a headache's worth of frizz.

Zebra Fish
November 29th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Voted for combing, because I use a widetooth horn comb - it's the only thing that doesn't make my hair "flying" from static electricity (hope it's the right expression in english). I used to love brushing, but got flyaway hair from everything - even bbb or wooden brush (coz of the plastic pad from where the wooden tips come out). Tried finger combing, but I pull out more hair then with widetooth horn comb.

Neneka
November 29th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I use Tangle Teezer. I feel like I am just ripping my hair no matter how careful I am if I try to use my old combs.

YumiYume
November 29th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I only use a tangle teaser/wide tooth comb and comb it a few times a week. I fingercomb aswell and I detangle with the fingers, even when I comb. I am a wavy and sadly combing takes the waves away making a fluffball (so, If I am going somewhere special and want my hair down I have it combed, then wet, then braided and do not comb to keep waves) On washdays I wash at the evening and sleep on braids and only gentle fingercomb so I can have soft pretty waves the day after ^^

If I brush (I do own a bbb) I end up with static fluffball hair standing out everywhere, like when you rub a balloon on your head and let the hair follow the ballon, but here it is the brush instead..

I shoosed "love combing" becaue I do love when my boyfriend combs my hair, and love when it takes a while, and he do it with "honor" (yes he have said so) sice he knows how carefull I try to be to it, so he combs gentle and detangle with his fingers, it is not easy since he have short but wide hands/fingers. he i so sweet ^-^!

embee
November 29th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I use a wide-tooth comb for detangling, but I brush morning and night for scalp stimulation, bent forward, brushing from the nape to the ends. I have a Denman brush which I love, it gets to my scalp and feels great. Brushing is part of my routine, like brushing my teeth! :)

Some people "scritch", I brush.

martyna_22
November 29th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I detangle thoroughly with a comb first, then I use a brush. It works best for me.

Lilybeany
November 30th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Until I joined here this month Ive never done either.Never felt I wanted a comb or brushed look.But I have brought a kent comb and bbb the other day too try out and see if I would get any better hair.I will post when Im decided.My sons hair btw which is longish loves the bbb.Hes 12 and loves longer hair

Soltimus
November 30th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I actually only have a brush so that doesn't leave me with much of a choice, ha ha. I have thought of getting a wide toothed comb for detangling after washing. When I think back I've always had bad experiences with combs, though, but the problem is probably just me using the wrongs combs or just using it wrong generally.

gus
November 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I have a kind of weird method, I think - I use a brush on my scalp and kind of brush until you hit that awkward bend (you know what I'm talking about!) where you can't really bend your arm back any further. I brush like that until my scalp feels like it's gotten a nice brushing, and then I swing my hair over my shoulder and use a wide-tooth comb to get any tangles down at the bottom of the hair. It seems to work really well; I still feel like my scalp gets a "brush massage," but I'm not using a brush on the more delicate ends.

catasa
November 30th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I sometimes comb the canopy with a wide-tooth comb, i e the first 10-20 centimeters of hair where it is still straight. Then the waves begin and no brush or comb will come near those :) I slightly finger-comb the lengths after washing when putting in my mineral oil leave in, otherwise I never comb or brush the lengths at all.

FireFromWithin
November 30th, 2013, 05:59 AM
I tend to use a tangle teaser and occasionally a brush which is a kind of partial BBB. I saw something about using a double sided comb in Tudor times when water wasn't safe (monestary farm on iplayer) where they use a wide toothed comb to detangle and a narrow toothed comb to 'wash' the hair by spreading the sebum along the length. I think I might give that a go and see if it helps me stretch washes further.

Does anyone know if a tangle teaser will damage wet hair?

Kikina
November 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I use mostly a comb, which for now is plastic but I will replace it with a wooden one as soon as I can.
Brushing makes me feel like a princess, though.

nobeltonya
November 30th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I love combing! When I was younger, and had no idea about my hair, I used to brush it with the ball-tipped brushes... it DOES NOT like that! My hair is wavy, and I had no idea why I'd have to rip through it [was also brushing top to bottom].. it wasn't until several years ago I had the novel idea to start using a comb after washing [while wet]. Voila! That is the only way I can get anything through my hair: washed, and still wet after applying leave-in. :disco:

VJG
November 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I use a basic paddle brush on my hair everyday, usually multiple times a day. *sigh* I'm realizing it's a bad habit, but I love how it looks brushed out. If I comb or finger comb only the waves get horribly tangled. However, I do try to use a wide tooth comb to detangle while I have conditioner in my hair.

teenerz
November 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Since deciding to embrace my waves I've stopped combing and brushing to encourage wave formation - once my hair has fully air dried I will finger comb it a bit but that's it.

dreamingstar
November 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I detangle with a wide-tooth horn comb, then use a Mason Pearson firm bbb to brush out my hair. My hair loves that brush! I tried so many brushes and that is by far the best one I've used so far. It was definitely worth the investment.