PDA

View Full Version : swimming and washing hair

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm going swimming on Monday, and I plan on keeping my hair as dry as poss. However I'm going with my friend amd her 3 year old daughter so I suspect my hair will get a littlewet. I normally cwc and have been for just over a month now, although i've had to shampoo my length a few times (particularly at the start of my S+C to CWC transition) I've noticed since transitioning, whenever I do use 'poo, my length feels quite dry afterwards. I'm assuming i'll need to shampoo the chlorine out, would regular sulfate shampoo do the trick or should I use a harsher 'poo (I have one that I've used for clarifying, although on the label it simply says 'build up removal')

TIA!

Eta: I've used regular sulfate shampoo to remove sea/salt water and that worked well.

Tori Angeli
August 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
When I went swimming this summer, I did not shampoo afterwards. I gave my hair a good soak, drenched it in coconut oil, and put it up. After the swim (you should wear a swim cap to protect the water from the oil--I didn't do this, oops), I CO-washed and did a rinse with club soda. My hair suffered no issues from the chlorine.

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
When I went swimming this summer, I did not shampoo afterwards. I gave my hair a good soak, drenched it in coconut oil, and put it up. After the swim (you should wear a swim cap to protect the water from the oil--I didn't do this, oops), I CO-washed and did a rinse with club soda. My hair suffered no issues from the chlorine.

Okay so sulfate shampoo isn't totally necessary but it would be strong enough? I wasn't sure if i'd need a chelating 'poo or something.

Logically speaking, oil repels water right? So what if I wet my hair and oiled with a coating oil such as sweet almond oil before getting into the pool. That might help prevent chlorine absorption. Then follow up afterwards with a diluted shampoo then condition and leave it on for an hour or so.

Tori Angeli
August 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Your hair soaking up the oil will help, but a simple club soda rinse neutralizes chlorine. Personally, I find sulfate shampoo causes so much dryness and drama I was just as glad I was able to avoid all that by using club soda instead.

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Your hair soaking up the oil will help, but a simple club soda rinse neutralizes chlorine. Personally, I find sulfate shampoo causes so much dryness and drama I was just as glad I was able to avoid all that by using club soda instead.

Brilliant, thank you.

Tori Angeli
August 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Not a problem!

BreeTheBoss
August 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I heard you should rinse your hair and put in leave in oils before swimming. Also, after swimming, try to wash your hair asap, dont let it dry before! And do a moisturizing mask and im sure youll be fine :) Have fun!