PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair and heachaches

utdesertrunner
September 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Until I found you guys I always had my thick hair thinned. I know that is not a great idea now if I want to grow it out. I seem to get headaches more frequently when it is up more (even in loose ponytails). Do you have any suggestions to help my head get "used" to heavier hair? Thanks in advance!

Kirin
September 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Even thiner haired people get "hair aches" as it were. The trick is to find a position on the head that does not give as much "pull".

From your current updo styles, try some that are higher on the head, or lower on the head, as changing the standard position height can usually solve the problem.

danacc
September 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
A "break-in" period helps me with some new styles. I'll wear it until my head just starts to hurt, then take it down for the rest of the day. I may braid it in a single unfastened braid at the nape, but I don't put it "up" at all. The next day, I put it in the same style (but in a different place if the previous spot is tender at all.) I can wear it longer each day, and finally leave it all day if I do this. If I let it hurt too long, I get headaches instead.

Nes
September 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I tend to take out my up-do several times a day, massage my scalp to get the blood flow going and then put it back up. I find this helps prevent "hair-ache" as I call it!

Nes x

Teazel
September 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Oh goodness, I'd get a headache for sure if I put my hair in a ponytail - and loose ones are worst! They always pull. Try different styles until you find some that you hardly notice. For instance, I find a low infinity bun to be the most comfortable.

Your thread title reminded me of my aunt: she had long thick hair as a girl, and when she was troubled by headaches the doctor's advice was to cut it short. My grandfather didn't speak to my grandmother for a while, over that....

josie4
September 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
My head aches if I wear it up too long. Especially in a claw! I have to be careful not to wear it too tight, but even then I still get headaches.

Darkhorse1
September 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Can you try a braid perhaps? I find braids a lot less irritating for me than ponytails. I can then fold the braid and have my hair off my neck/back.

physicschick
September 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Practice different updos to find comfortable ones. As danacc suggests, a break-in period can be helpful. Also, not all of us manage updos every day. I wear a braid about half the time, since I find that the most comfortable style (other than loose).

Arctic_Mama
September 3rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
The angle of the hairstyle can make a huge difference, too. Just moving the same style further up or down can remedy a lot of headaches, or making sure not to wear the same style too long or in the same position.

I hadn't thought about taking it down and doing a break-in period, what a great idea!