PDA

View Full Version : Leaving it alone really makes a difference!

ProverbsGirl
August 13th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I started out above shoulder in January.
A few months ago it finally got long enough that I could just leave it alone. So I did. I wash, condition, comb/brush and leave it be.(I do still straighten my bangs though.)
It seemed like it took forever to get below my shoulders and then it just took off!
I swear it has grown over an inch in the last couple of months. it is now half way between the top of my shoulders and my bra strap! When I realized it this evening I couldn't believe it.

I just can't get over the fact that not curling/flat ironing/blow drying and stretching the time between washings could have such a huge effect on hair growth.

So excited..and life is much easier without all the 'electrical accessories'.

skydancer7
August 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Same here! Now that it's long enough to put up and forget about it, a few months later I can't believe how many extra wraps I can get around for a bun. Sweeeet! Gotta love benign neglect :D

Wow I really need to update my pics... lol...

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I know this isn't true (I have the roots from dyeing my hair to prove it) but I feel like I've sprouted an inch in the past week based on how my updos feel. Still, I blame that on "practice makes perfect" rather than extraordinary growth.

Mindy
August 14th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Isn't benign neglect wonderful?! I started practicing it at just past APL. One day I noticed I was suddenly at waist! I flew right past BSL without even noticing.

ProverbsGirl
August 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Lol yep! I swear it grew in a week. Crazy! It is like I looked at it one day and it was barely past my shoulder..and now it is about 2. Inches from my bra strap in the back. That is my Christmas goal.

Leeloo
August 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Congrats! It’s great when you get busy with other things and forget to obsess about the hair length. I just need to get my routine figured out so I can attempt to do that. I’m still trying different products.

oktobergoud
August 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Ah same here! It also seems to grow a really fast after shoulder length (till APL, then it goes slooowly!). Benign neglect is the best thing for me :D (With a bit of trimming/S&D here and there of course) :)

Maktub
August 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I find it hard to leave my hair alone ! But for sure I should simply put it up once per day and forget about it....

ProverbsGirl
August 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It was really hard for me to put the straightener and hair dryer down and walk away. :(
it was like breaking a bad habit. Took me a while to accept how my hair was. It isn't curly but it isn't straight. It has a little wave but not enough to be wavy.
I finally just had to cut back to washing/combing and walk away.
My new thing is adding in small side braids to keep it out of my face. It works..but I have gotten a couple funny looks.

ProverbsGirl
August 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
It was really hard for me to put the straightener and hair dryer down and walk away. :(
it was like breaking a bad habit. Took me a while to accept how my hair was. It isn't curly but it isn't straight. It has a little wave but not enough to be wavy.
I finally just had to cut back to washing/combing and walk away.
My new thing is adding in small side braids to keep it out of my face. It works..but I have gotten a couple funny looks.

lapushka
August 14th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Definitely benign neglect is the best! I had it cut back to waist from almost TBL, and right now, about a month later it seems as though it's well on its way again. So... yay, benign neglect!

Also, getting it past shoulder and past APL are definite milestones as you are getting out of some awkward stages!

yuehime
August 17th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Good job! Great to hear that you found something that is working so well for you :)

PianoPlaye
August 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Benign neglect is working for me! So much so, I'm trying to get the nerve together to try new ideas like coconut oil. However, CWC really helped move things along healthily past BSL.

jacqueline101
August 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Benign neglect rocks.

sarahthegemini
August 18th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to wear my hair up daily (in a claw clip) so that one day I'll be suprised at the growth :p

Shizuku
August 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I tried putting my hair up every day, but I ended up experiencing breakage at my edges and nape of the neck. I tried to keep my hair as loose as possible but that didn't help either. Just isn't for me I guess. :rolleyes:

Sarahlabyrinth
August 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Benign neglect works wonders for me. Every few months I suddenly notice and wonder where all this extra length came from when I wasn't looking!

YamaMaya
August 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Blah, I'm so keen to get to my next milestone that it feels like it's taking forever. But I suppose watching my length only makes it seem like a long time, I really need to just forget about my hair for a little while :p

Ashenputtel
August 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
With everything you've got to leave it alone. A lot of people do too much with hair care and skin care. I don't even use conditionner anymore and my hair isn't dry. APL is where the fun begins.

RedNymph
August 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I noticed this to. But it's just so hard for me. I got to keep away from shears, heat and dye.

Dark40
August 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Yes, leaving it alone is the best thing when it comes to hair growth. Mine has been on the top of my shoulders for 5 years, and it is growing soooooooo slowly. I'm not sue if it I going through a resting phase or if it has just stopped growing. My hair used to be BSL but it hasn't been for years.

ebullience
August 18th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear that your growth has sped up!

Not to mention the added bonus of getting to sleep in a little more in the mornings because you don't have to straighten/curl your hair :p