PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair IN the shower?

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM
For eons I've been using a claw clip, but my hair is getting to be a bit much for my giant shower claw, so I tried a LWB with an acrylic stick (I finally figured out how to do a LWB...turns out, I just cannot do it right handed! :laugh: I like the LWB, but I'm wondering...is the torque used to achieve even a gentle LWB too much for shower wet hair? I'm trying to reduce damage, not increase it.

How do you keep your hair up in the shower after washing?

FoxyGhost
August 13th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I do a loose cinnabun type twist bun and secure it loosely with a stretched out hair band.

melusine963
August 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I fold my sleep braid up and pin it with a plastic claw clip. Then I put a shower cap over that. My hair stick is pretty short, so I can also fit most buns comfortably under the shower cap.

luxepiggy
August 13th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I use duckbill clips to secure the length on top of my head. It's all rather haphazard but it works OK (^(oo)^)`

EdG
August 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I used shower caps for the longest time, but recently I have been wrapping my hair around my arm and holding it over my head. That lets me clean around the hairline and seems better at avoiding nape tangles.
Ed

Salmonberry
August 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Down, but I get my hair wet every time I shower (even on days I don't use shampoo). I'm not sure I understand why it would need to be up, unless you're trying to not get it wet. Sorry I'm not much help, but I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong by having it down in the shower.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Shower caps are a no go for me as I wash daily. :agree:

trolleypup
August 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM
If I need to put it up during the shower after getting it wet, I do a sloppier and lazier version of my lazy bun, but normally if I wash it, the hair stays down with (wet/wash/rinse/cond the ends/rinse/wv/rinse) interspersed with the rest of my shower. At the end it is wrapped in a microfiber towel and turbaned using a claw to secure it.

If not washing, it stays in the usual bun.

ositarosita
August 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
If I'm not getting it wet I put it up in my microfiber towel but after I've washed I put it up with a claw clip ( my hair is only around collarbone)

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 07:38 PM
:hmm: I suppose I could wash my hair at the END of my shower rather than the beginning. Creature of habit am I!

The reason I don't leave my hair down for the rest of my shower is I don't like wet hair sticking to me and I don't want to risk getting soap in my hair.

neko_kawaii
August 13th, 2013, 07:42 PM
My hair still fits inside a claw, which is what I use in the shower whether I'm washing or no, so my routine is not much help, Kaelee. Perhaps two claws would work for you since you are concerned about potential stretching damage with sticks?

Tori Angeli
August 13th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Kaelee, if it's the right kind of soap, it's not a problem to get in your hair. Then again what I wash my body with and what I have been washing my hair with are not such different things (my skin being as sensitive to sulfates as my hair, I use nice mild moisturizing soaps).

But I second the idea of two clipped buns instead of one. It'll be more comfortable as your hair gets longer, too, by distributing the weight of it over your head instead of having it all in one place.

CurlyMopTop
August 13th, 2013, 08:48 PM
If I'm not washing my hair that day, I put a Gibraltar bun on top of my head held with a hair stick. The days that I wash, I just leave it down.

spirals
August 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Washing it is the last shower thing I do, since I no longer use conditioner that has to sit for a while on my hair. So it goes into a topknot secured with a claw clip until I wash it, and I towel it right before I get out of the shower.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Washing it is the last shower thing I do, since I no longer use conditioner that has to sit for a while on my hair. So it goes into a topknot secured with a claw clip until I wash it, and I towel it right before I get out of the shower.

I think I'm going to just start washing my hair last, then I can leave it up in my usual hairstick bun and just take it down to wash it. :agree:

Anne10
August 13th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Mine is down in the shower. It's too fine to clip it or do anything else to it when wet, it would break. I gently shift it from one shoulder to the other while I soap up and rinse off.

spaceagerock
August 13th, 2013, 11:12 PM
If I'm washing my hair in the shower I wash, condition, but DON'T rise out the conditioner till the very end. The conditioner helps keep my hair in a bun at the very top of my head (very stylish) relatively securely and lets the conditioner work a bit longer. I'm at waist, but very fine haired (Scandinavian hair), so I think it's matter of trial and error if it what hair lenght/type this'll work for.

(Hello, by the way, I'm new :) )

Veronica

Eve 322
August 14th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I leave my hair down, it works for me. The only problem that I've been having (since I hit waist it seems) is that my back is almost constantly breaking out, even though my last shower step is to hold up my hair and scrub my back (once more) with soap or Noxema. Any other LHers having this problem? I'm usually not a pimple/acne person, and this is grossing me out.

Mayihuan
August 14th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Mine is down in the shower. It's too fine to clip it or do anything else to it when wet, it would break. I gently shift it from one shoulder to the other while I soap up and rinse off.Same here. :) Also when I shower it's usually because I want to get my hair washed that day.

Most other days, a sink full of hot water is good enough, and then I keep my (dry) hair braided and clipped up and out of the way.
The body does not require every square inch to be soaped-up every day. I am concerned with personal hygiene, of course, and could not stand a day being stinky and/or dirty, but I'm also concerned with respecting my skin's natural balance. :)

kidari
August 14th, 2013, 02:24 AM
It's usually in a heat-free curl set or a cinnamon bun of some sort secured with anything I happened to grab but the important thing is that I use my terry cloth hair band with a velcro closure around the hairline with a shower cap over it (the terry cloth hair band ensures that the steam from my shower doesn't get in the shower cap to frizz up my hair)

Neneka
August 14th, 2013, 02:44 AM
My hair is so short that I can wear almost any updo in the shower but after conditioner I put it up with a claw clip so the conditioner wouldn't wash off too early.

Michiru
August 14th, 2013, 03:19 AM
If I'm not washing it I use a ficcare clip.

Stagecoach
August 14th, 2013, 04:30 AM
When I first get in I begin with wetting my hair. Then I wrap the length loosely around my neck while I shampoo my scalp hair. Unwrap and rinse well. Apply conditioner, wrap into a bun and cover with a shower cap. The cap usually contains my hair enough without needing anything else. It stays up in the cap until everything else is done, then it comes down and gets rinsed.

hanyo
August 14th, 2013, 04:43 AM
In a shower or bath I wrap my hair in a towel so it is on top of my head to keep it dry. I don't wash my hair in the shower or bath. I wash it by bending over or on my knees at the bathtub faucet.

Natalina
August 14th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Claw clip! I just spin them into a messy bun then clip it. I've been doing that since I had my hair at TBL (before cutting them early this year). It's especially helpful when I need to condition my hair, makes it easy for me to do everything else in the mean time.

Actually I claw-clip every day almost all the time in or out of shower really, lol! Except when I'm going out.

Anje
August 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM
When I'm not washing it, I tend to just bun it dry and keep it dry.

When I do wash it, once I've got conditioner in I'll wrap it around my hand and put it in a shower cap (not a fuzzy one!) to soak up the condish while I wash myself. Once the soap suds are rinsed off, I take it out of the cap and rinse out the conditioner.

Sharysa
August 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Right now I wash my hair every time I take a full shower (twice a week). I just wear it down, but pulled to the front over my shoulders until it's been shampooed and conditioned. Then I move it onto my back to keep it from getting wet too quickly.

see_turtle
August 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hmm....I wash it every day and every time I shower....sometimes if I'm rinsing off real quick I'll clip it up. I have fine hair that NEEDS to be washed every day or it's bad.

Leeloo
August 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
On a no wash days I put it in a shower cap in the shower and on wash days it goes up in a French twist variation with a claw clip. But now I’m thinking I should just keep using the shower cap instead of the claw clip to prevent damage.

faellen
August 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I do a loose cinnabun type twist bun and secure it loosely with a stretched out hair band.

I do the exact same thing!

Gumball
August 14th, 2013, 04:16 PM
On no-wash days I do a pinless braided bun using my sleep braid and a hairstick.

On wash days after I've finished washing I throw my hair up in a nautilus bun for a while. Eventually it comes back down, I comb it out, and then put it up for the remainder of the day.

Tangle or Curl?
August 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Maybe you could use two claw clips on either side of a cinnabun? That's how I sleep and it holds pretty darn good even if I used minniature sized ones

HylianGirl
August 14th, 2013, 04:26 PM
hm.. maybe i'm not that much of a help, but I use a claw clip too... then again, the first thing I do when I go on the shower is wash my hair and then put a bunch of conditioner in it, so it helps to keep it up. On non wash days I may secure it with a cinnabun and bobby pins, no shower cap 'cause I like the steam to bring some life back to my waves (they straighten the longer I keep my hair dry).

Maybe you could trytwo claw clips? I know it could look funny, but it's the shower, so why not?

Kiwiwi
August 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I use a claw clip on days I don't wash my hair.

And when I do wash this is my routine:
Wet hair and body.
Put shampoo in hair, leave it hang.
Wash body.
Rinse shampoo out.
Put conditioner in, leave it hang.
Brush teeth (yes, while showering).
Wash face.
Rinse conditioner.
Final all over rinse.
Squeeze excess water from hair.
Use a big, fluffy, wooly hair band to make a quick bun-ish thing.
Dry body.
And then sit on the couch to pat dry my hair with a t-shirt, brush, apply oil, braid (takes a good while :))

Kaelee
August 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM
hm.. maybe i'm not that much of a help, but I use a claw clip too... then again, the first thing I do when I go on the shower is wash my hair and then put a bunch of conditioner in it, so it helps to keep it up. On non wash days I may secure it with a cinnabun and bobby pins, no shower cap 'cause I like the steam to bring some life back to my waves (they straighten the longer I keep my hair dry).

Maybe you could trytwo claw clips? I know it could look funny, but it's the shower, so why not?

I actually love the two claw clips look. Maybe I need a different shaped law for shower use than the one I have.

Flournoy
August 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
just in ponytail on the top of my head more or less, but I have plans to by a claw clip as it has gotten longer

jacqueline101
August 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I put mine under my shower cap.

Bagginslover
August 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
:hmm: I suppose I could wash my hair at the END of my shower rather than the beginning. Creature of habit am I!

The reason I don't leave my hair down for the rest of my shower is I don't like wet hair sticking to me and I don't want to risk getting soap in my hair.

This is what I do ;) I put my hair in a normal (any) bun with an acrylic stick before I get in, then take it down at the end of my shower to wash it. Sometimes I'll slather it in conditioner before I put it us as a quick deep treatment, putting it up before I get in the shower, even with coditioner (I apply it to dry hair) I'm able to be more careful, and so don't cause any damage ;)

nobeltonya
August 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
If I'm just rinsing in the evening, I usually just throw it up in some kind of bun.. nautilus, lazy wrap.. but in the morning, I wash it, so for most of the shower, it's covered in conditioner. :) :disco: