PDA

View Full Version : Tried and tested hair thickening methods?

Sweet_Decadence
August 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM
What methods have you guys found actually help thicken hair? I've been under a lot of stress lately and I think its causing some hair loss. I can run my hand through my hair and the amount that comes out is alarming. I thinking about getting some extensions installed but I know their just going to cause more damage in the long run.

So supplements, oils anything?

mbondare
August 13th, 2013, 05:33 PM
The last few years I have neglected my hair terribly which has resulted in my hair thinning at the scalp and a lot more breakage. The last month and a half I have been trying to take better care of it and have been giving myself scalp massages with different oils and blends I have just thrown together (I use hemp oil, burdock oil, rosemary EO, and lavender EO for the most part) I have noticed a lot of new growth so I am now doing scalp massages every night (and when I don't want to study).
We'll see how it goes from here!
Also henna has worked for me in the past by making it look more voluminous but it did not help me grow more hair.
You might want to try henna while starting a more time consuming thickening process.
If you are concerned about color I know you can buy colorless henna online. I found some called Rainbow Henna Neutral.
I was going to use it over the weekend so I'll take some before and after pics to compare the volume.

Sweet_Decadence
August 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Yes, I started doing scalp massages tonight with rosemary oil. I didn't realize clear, in all my years heer, that colourless henna was even a thing! I'll need to investigate that.

McFearless
August 13th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Try stress relieving activities such as meditation, yoga, cardio exercise, and hobbies that make you happy and calm. Easier said than done of course, but best of luck with that. Put some extra attention into eating well too, it is more effective than supplements. An oil with a very high success rate in reducing shed is Neelibhringadi oil.

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Castor oil, scalp massages, and nettle tea have worked for me. Good luck! I lost tons of hair after a stressful event this past year and these have worked great for me, though nettle tea is the only one I routinely remember to do. My hair has many different personalities now: a little pre-LHC at the bottom, lots of LHC love in the middle, and a halo of new-growth at the top. Sigh. :) Thank goodness I have waves that help to tame it all. :)

melusine963
August 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Check out this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113768) recent thread. There's sure to be a lot of good advice there.

Maktub
August 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Try stress relieving activities such as meditation, yoga, cardio exercise, and hobbies that make you happy and calm. Easier said than done of course, but best of luck with that. Put some extra attention into eating well too, it is more effective than supplements. An oil with a very high success rate in reducing shed is Neelibhringadi oil.

I agree with this !

Leeloo
August 13th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Scalp massages with castor oil

spirals
August 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
When I stopped using detergent to wash it, my excess shedding stopped.

Simone_Fatale
August 14th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Allin hair lotion did wonders to my hair thickness and also to my friend who went through a major shedding, losing half of her hair thickness. I think you can get it in some of the US states. It's organic and natural with only ingredients being: aqua destilata, aethyl alcohol and garlic, nettle and lavender extracts (allium sativum, urticae radix, urticae iollium, lavandulae flos). You're supposed to rub it on your scalp 12 hours before every washing. It stimulates skin and hair nourishment via speeded circulation and oxygenation, also preventing some hair related conditions like alopecia and others. It's not really expensive, doensn't come with harsh chemicals and I've had good results with lots of baby hairs growing and faster hair growth, so it can't hurt to try.. If you can find it as it's produced in Europe, although I believe it can be found in a few states in the US.
Other thing I tried was castor oil and it also worked on my hair but I hated the smell and washing it off was particularily hard and annoying. Nettle tea rinses also helped but tainted my hair.
Happy growing! :)

spaceagerock
August 14th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Loepsie on YouTube has talked about this a fair bit. I lost a fair bit of hair due to medical reasons a few years ago & I wish I would've seen her vids then (although her hair loss was the result of something else). You might have seen them already, but just in case here's one: http://youtu.be/cXb210sRQ2k

Veronica

Isilme
August 14th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Henna and cassia. Colorless or neutral henna doesn't exist but are names for cassia. http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/cassiaobovata.html (Read about Cassia here.) Cassia gives a semi permanent golden hue to very light hairs. Some have reported it to be permanent but most find it temporary. The conditioning effects also wear off over time.
If you put in extensions it will only make your hair worse as you already know.
Other than that, healthy living and eating pared with good haircare is the slow but best way to good hair :)