PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear Shower Cap When Applying Coconut Oil?

ChristmasFnatic
August 13th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Esp to those of you who leave the coconut oil for hours/overnight before washing it away.

Thanks!

Seanymph
August 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Most definitely!!! A Shower cap is a must!!! The heat that developes from wearing the shower cap allows for deep penetration of the oil into the hair. I always leave the coconut oil on overnight place a shower cap on with a head band to keep it in place, then a head scarf.

Arien
August 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I do :). The heat that they keep in really helps the oil penetrate hair. I have a sturdier thicker one that I wear during the day, and a cheap hotel freebie one that I wear at night with my hair turban over the top. It's more comfortable to sleep in :).

blace
August 13th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, always. Occasionally I do a shower cap and then wrapped with a warm towel.

Leeloo
August 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I try to keep coconut oil in my hair for at least 14 hours before wash as suggested by The Natural Haven blogger. I do not cover my hair with a cap for most of the time though because that would clog pores in my scalp, but I do wear a heat cap for an hour before wash for better oil penetration in the hair shaft (I also wear a silk sleep cap).

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yep! I use a big, puffy blue one with a bow on it. Looks ridiculous but it's very thick.

spidermom
August 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
No. I'd never be able to keep a cap on my head during "sleep", which is really a lot of tossing and turning and wishing I could find a comfortable position and go to sleep. I manage to get a few naps in during the night.

faellen
August 13th, 2013, 12:46 PM
If I'm leaving it on overnight, usually yes. Mainly to prevent oil getting on the pillow.

chen bao jun
August 13th, 2013, 01:26 PM
not a shower cap, those disposable plastic caps from Sallys. Only I get them at the dollar store instead.
I not only put oil in my hair though, but often also honey and conditioner--so I need them disposable, can only use once.

nobeltonya
August 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM
No. I apply it several hours before sleeping and leave it loose to soak in. When sleeping, I just bun or braid it. By that time, it's soaked in enough that it's not sticky. :) :disco:

Firefox7275
August 13th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yes, a proper shower cap, stays on really well. In summer I don't put the cap on until I am ready to sleep, it's too hot so I just clip up my hair. In cooler weather the body heat is essential, otherwise the oil solidifies on my hair. The study that used the longest penetration time (24 hours) also compared heat and no heat (tho just a short burst with a hairdryer)
http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc2005/cc056n05/p00283-p00295.pdf

sagremus
August 13th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I have only used coconut oil twice. I put my hair in braids and wrapped them in a scarf. I might have to try using a shower cap - when the coconut oil touches my face I break out like crazy!

gingerclip
August 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I just apply the oil and go. Day-to-day I apply a small enough amount that it soaks in pretty quickly. But when I heavily oil my hair (the day before wash day), I just braid it and go to bed. I can't sleep with anything on my head. So I just plan on washing my pillow case too. Although it never gets oily or sticky.

jacqueline101
August 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I add mine to water and mist over my length make it stronger then mine let it penetrate in wash the next day.

Nae
August 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Never, just the normal sleep braid. I don't seem to have a problem with my pillowcases getting oily, my hair seems to soak it all up.

BreeTheBoss
August 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Yes. If youre looking to have it in as a deep treatment, Id recommend using a heat retaining cap. It helps the oils absorb into your hair, and will benefit it over all :) i have a silk one!

stinkyfeet
August 16th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I don't wear a shower cap. When I do wash my hair, I do so at night. The morning of my hair wash days, I put coconut oil on my hair from the ears down--then I put it in some sort of bun for the rest of the day. I have pretty thick hair, so it doesn't really look greasy when I do this (at least no one tells me so!).

spirals
August 16th, 2013, 10:22 PM
What Nae said. I usually oil overnight, but this last time I oiled before work and put it in a bun. I told my coworker, "I have an unholy amount of coconut oil in my hair." She totally laughed.

Silver Sister
August 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM
No, can't wear a shower cap because of those dreadful HOT flashes. It you've never had one, it's hard to imagine how hot your head can get. A shower cap would "stroke-me-out" from the heat. A towel is on my pillow.

Northerner
August 18th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Yes, except I wear a small plastic baggie and a warm acrylic hat. Although I am thinking about putting the bag on about an hour after oiling, because quite a bit of oil stays on the plastic. Maybe if the oil penetrates the hair uncovered for an hour or so, none will be left on the bag... Or maybe I am overoiling...