PDA

View Full Version : Product build up after oiling hair? condition only aswell?

glitterbug
August 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I use a sls free shampoo and cone free conditioner for my hair. But after washing I use a spray in detangler and some serum. Some days I'll even oil the hair after using the products I mentioned. But since I dont wash (as in shampoo) the ends of my hair, will the oil mask the products I have used prior to oiling? If so will it cause build up since I dont shampoo the oiled ends? Is this bad for the hair ends?

I do my best to use water soluble cones and products w/o silicone.

thanks! This should be quite interesting!

meteor
August 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Which oils do you use? And how exactly do you wash the lengths? Do you squeeze shampoo from the scalp through the length? That should be enough.
Besides, conditioner removes oil for many people even better than shampoo, so you probably have nothing to worry about unless your ends are getting crunchy/hard.

Non-drying oils (e.g. coconut) and mineral oil will wash out with water and a bit of mild cleansers like conditioner or shampoo.
Drying and semi-drying oils (e.g. grapeseed) will polymerize and form a hard dry film on your hair that is pretty hard to remove without clarifying. Try not to layer these oils too heavily on hair, unless you clarify periodically.

glitterbug
August 13th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Which oils do you use? And how exactly do you wash the lengths? Do you squeeze shampoo from the scalp through the length? That should be enough.
Besides, conditioner removes oil for many people even better than shampoo, so you probably have nothing to worry about unless your ends are getting crunchy/hard.

Non-drying oils (e.g. coconut) and mineral oil will wash out with water and a bit of mild cleansers like conditioner or shampoo.
Drying and semi-drying oils (e.g. grapeseed) will polymerize and form a hard dry film on your hair that is pretty hard to remove without clarifying. Try not to layer these oils too heavily on hair, unless you clarify periodically.

Thanks for replying. I like to use oilive oil, coconut oil just doesnt moisturize my hair as much. I do squeeze it down the suds down the hair length, but not much gets to the ends, as I just focus on the scalp. So will oilve oil wash out with not much shampoo?

meteor
August 13th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Yes, I manage to wash out olive oil with shampoo, but I know many people struggle.

If you are one of those people who has trouble washing it out, put a big glob of conditioner on your length, let it sit for a while and then wash it out. CWC works great for washing out oils.

You'll know if you washed it out well from the condition of your hair when it dries - shiny and not mushy, coated with oil or stretchy.

Another thing: if you do really heavy pre-poo oilings, it's much harder to wash out than just regular sparse leave-in oilings.