PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your natural hair colour?

norths
August 13th, 2013, 05:12 AM
I really like my hair colour its dark brown. I never really dyed it as I am scared of all these horror stories of people's hair falling out, burning skin or early grey hairs. But I wouldn't mind having a light brownish redish colour.

So my questions for you guys.
Do you like your natural hair colour?
Would you prefer a different colour?
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical
Any good/bad experiences

jacqueline101
August 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I like my natural color.

goldenlady
August 13th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Ooo good thread!

I have light ginger hair naturally.. I really like it on other people but it really doesn't suit me that much.. My eyebrows are way too light for it!

When I was about 16 I started bleaching.. only gently to get a golden blonde colour. I still have this colour now and just bleach/tone my roots to match every couple of months.

I think colouring/bleaching hair is absolutely fine if you don't get too excessive. I think it's important to know the science behind it all.. packet colours depend so much on your natural hair colour.

Going lighter is always far more difficult/damaging then going darker.

YamaMaya
August 13th, 2013, 05:30 AM
My natural hair color is a dark chocolate brown so...no dying for me unless it's EVEN DARKER :laugh:. I tried bleach, but with such dark hair I have to leave it in so long it turns my hair to straw.

browneyedsusan
August 13th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I did before it changed.
It was bright, strawberry blonde until my mid-20's. Then, it started getting ashey. Now, it doesn't have any red or gold in it at all! None. It's medium ash-brown with a healthy dose of gray. (At least, I think that's what it is. I haven't seen more that 1/2" of roots in 20 years!)

I chemical colored my pixie every few weeks. When I discovered henna, I decided to grow it out. Henna is fabulous. It gives me fade-proof red. I don't care what shade of red it is, as long as it's red, and I love that it's rock-solid permanent. Once it's in, it isn't going anywhere.

Simone_Fatale
August 13th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I love my natural hair color as it works well with my skin tone and eye color. If I could magically change it to coppery red, I would, cause I find it gorgeous, but since I'm too lazy for dye upkeep and regular dyeing, I gave up on that and I'm rocking my natural color. I've been bleached blonde and also blue black when I had a pixie, neither color suited me more than my natural color.

ejking2
August 13th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I like my natural hair color. It's medium blonde. I'd like it more if it were lighter. I've dyed it several times before. It's been bright red, dark plummy magenta (Manic Panic Hot Hot Pink over dyed brown hair), bleached platinum blonde, and now I have blue dip-dyed ends. I've also used cassia for conditioning and it gave my hair more of a golden tone. I've had fun with my hair, but I wasted a lot of money getting it bleached in the salon and damaged my hair badly when I started to transition back to my natural color before finding LHC.

teal
August 13th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I like it well enough, I suppose. I'm probably just buying into the mainstream media's fake reality for womens hair when I say that my natural colour seems a bit mousy, since I seem to be attracted to the brilliant reds. Fortunately there's henna! ;)

MintChocChip
August 13th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I like my natural hair colour. Equally I like the colour I get from my henna glosses. I think that may be because it's not too far removed from my natural colour, just a bit darker and a bit redder. In the past I've dyed my hair black, brown, golden blonde. The black and brown did not suit me particularly well. Henna glosses work well for me. ^^

Vampyria
August 13th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I love red hair, but I can't get the colour I want without damaging my hair (would probably require pre-lightening). I dyed it red with cheap chemical dyes mostly, but also professional ones for a couple of years and stopped because of the damage, thinning and because the colour got really transparent and fake looking. I do like my natural colour, it's medium or medium-dark brown. It looks a bit better with some henna-cassia though (coppery shine). I will still probably use henna when I get grey to get the red I always wanted.

Soltimus
August 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Hmmmm. I don't hate my natural hair colour (dark kind of flat brown colour). I've gone for many years between dying it sometimes, but I have to say I prefer having henna red hair. I've tried both henna and box dyes, and luckily I've never really had any trouble with any of it. I did start early with dying my hair and in my late twenties I started breaking out in hives (nettle rash) and having what I think is a slight perfume allergy. I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with my frequent use of chemical filled box dyes.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I dislike my natural colour on me - ranges from light brown to bright blonde depending on the lighting/time of year etc. I say on me, because it just doesn't suit the rest of my colouring, my face shape, etc. It's really a beautiful colour otherwise but I just wouldn't feel like me with it.

Arien
August 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I do like my natural hair colour. It has changed rather significantly over the years. It started off blonde, then turned a darker red toned blonde and now it is a mid brown, although it bleaches quite light in the summer. My hair has been dyed quite a few colours over the years too. Black, Copper, various shades of Red, Brown, Blonde (started off as highlights but eventually ended up as nearly all over Blonde). I dyed it as close to my natural colour as I could last year and I am now growing it out. Since I stopped dying it I have noticed a couple of gray hairs! (eep lol) so we will see how it goes. Hope I haven't left it too late to stop dying my hair! :D

erinlesley09
August 13th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I like my hair color. It's really dark brown, with a bit of a red tint in certain light.

Sometimes I wish I'd been a full-on redhead or auburn, but it usually passes.

I've never colored my hair before, but I'm considering experimenting with tea dyeing--either black tea to enhance the brown, or rooibos to try to bring out some red.

I don't have any dyeing experience.

CurlMonster
August 13th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I haven't seen my natural colour in a few years. It was a golden-ish blonette colour, but many people have their hair darken during their teen years and all of my family have quite dark hair so I'm unsure of whether my hair will be darker now than it used to be. I have bleached it paler (to a more definite blonde instead of a blonette) and dyed it very dark brown. The brown has faded now and I am growing it out. I have about 3 inches of growth and it's hard to tell what my colour's like. It's certainly ashier than the faded brown dye, but I'm not sure that means it'll look ashy when it's not in direct contrast. Ahh well, time will tell. I would either like my hair to be a nice dark brown or a pale blonette. From the roots I can tell it's not dark brown, so I'm hoping for the pale blonette.

spidermom
August 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Growing up, I always got so many compliments on my golden blonde hair that I mostly ignored impulses to dye it. I did lighten it while in high school. I also did occasional temporary red and henna once or twice.

Now my hair is very light, kind of silvery, and I like it a lot, but I noticed recently how much it washes me out. My stylist did a temporary coppery strawberry blonde not quite two weeks ago, and I'm amazed how much it warms my entire face. But there's no way I'm jumping on the permanent dye train because the idea of keeping up color on new growth is not at all appealing.

Tristania
August 13th, 2013, 07:23 AM
My natural hair color is a medium brown with a golden/reddish hue. I've been dying my hair jet black for about eight years now. It's not that I don't like my natural color - I just find black hair to be more striking, especially when paired with pale skin and blue eyes. I guess I just really like the "Snow White" look.

As I'm getting older however, I keep debating whether or not to revert to my natural color. Jet black doesn't seem to be quite as flattering as it used to be.

I keep switching between brands, but they've all been ammonia-free (although they contain peroxide). My scalp has been getting more sensitive lately though, so I may not be able to dye it for that much longer.

MaryMarx
August 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I do! But I didn't like it when I was younger so I coloured it black. When I decided to grow my hair out I decided no more dying.
It was hard in the beginning but when I started to see more and more of my virgin hair I started to like it. Two years dye-free in september. :)

Yes, I won't lie, I would love to have a natural dark chocolate colour. :)

Yes, over ten years of constant colouring... chemical, once a month.

Any good/bad experiences
With colouring? Not really actually, and I'm happy for that! I'm allergic to different stuff, I should have been more cautious. I remember how my scalp itched and burned when I put the colour on, maybe I just stopped it in the right time.

Aeris
August 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I love my natural color! It is brownish black. I think it suits my light peachy-olive skin and brown eyes very well.

I did henna it for a few years, I think the last time was in 2011, because I loved the benefits (and overall I love red hair!) but quit about a year ago when I realized how bad the reddish tones were for my skin. I indigoed it a few times after, (and cut a few times), and now there is no red, and none of the blue-black tones the indigo gave me. Back to normal :)

blace
August 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
As a former dye/bleach addict and recovering bad-hair-owner, I am coming to terms with my natural hair color. Part of this was due to curiosity (I hadn't seen my natural color since the age of 13) and part was due to being fed up with the damage that I was constantly causing my hair.
I've done black, browns, reds and blondes (all looked great) but I figure that you can truly never go wrong with what was intended for you. Maybe someday I'll give henna a shot, but at this point, I'm content just riding out the regrowth. :grin:

chen bao jun
August 13th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I LOVE it.
My hair is as black as hair gets without having a blue tone in it. this is actually very unusual, even among people who aren't white. Various shades of dark brown are much more common. When I was in China, people always remarked on how very black my hair is (they liked it) and when I am with other black people, I am usually the only one who actually has black hair.
It suits my goldeny-olive skin tone very well.
And now I am going grey very nicely. I'm almost 56 but less than 10% grey. It's coming in a lovely silver color and the black and the sparkly silver together really look very nice, I'm happy. I've never dyed, but I would have dyed if my grey had turned out nasty but so far (cross fingers) that's not the case.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I like it on other people but not so much on me. I've been dying my hair off and on since I was a teenager and lately, I've been hennaing for...the past 6 years or so?

I have a skintone that tends towards warm (part Nanticoke and Lakota- I tan super easily) and undertones that refuse to be determined because they seem to alternate between warm and cool depending on the day. :lol: But based on my favored shades of red lipstick, I'm guessing I go more towards warm. My natural haircolor tends more towards the cool side of the spectrum...it's mousey medium brown with blonde highlights but a bit of a grayish cast....and I feel like it tends to clash with my skin a little.

Besides that, for some reason I've just always felt like I'm supposed to be a redhead. :shrug:

Coolcombination
August 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
My hair was chocolate brown as a child, then I dyed it darker a couple of times and then dyed it medium blonde which turned out to be copper on my dark hair. Now I'm growing out the dye, my hair really changes colour in the sun, I get lots of natural highlights in the summer. My fiancée is dark blonde but in the summer all his facial hair and his fringe goes white blonde!

marymonster
August 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Do you like your natural hair colour? -I think it's alright, it's a light brown with a little teensy bit of red in the sun.

Would you prefer a different colour? -I prefer my hair black or dark brown.

Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical -Oh god yes, I have. Several colors. I've bleached it multiple times doing crazy colors (blue, pink, purple) and it WRECKED my hair. It wouldn't even curl anymore at that point. I spent a a ear cutting off the damage. I've also dyed it brown, red, and now I do black because it's the color I've always gone back to in the past. At first I did it with boxed dye, now I use 2 step henna and indigo. My hair is much happier with the henna and indigo. :)

Any good/bad experiences- -Bleach and normal boxed dye pretty much wrecked my medium/fine hair. Gentler naturtint dye left my hair okay as long as I made sure to deep condition. Henna and indigo is so much better for my hair, my indigo mix dries it out a bit (salt and baking soda) but I have no discernible damage with it. :)

LadyCelestina
August 13th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I am trying to like it,and sometimes I do,but I feel sort of like...it's not eye-catching.
Yes it is interesting because it changes and all,but it's not the "in your face" interesting that my red hair was.

EllieDanseuse
August 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I used to hate it because it was ash blonde so it would look so plain next to other hair colours, but now i've started to love it because the more it grows the more it has different highlights and it was plain because it wasn't well looked after ! (:

Robot Ninja
August 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I hate it. It's medium ashy brown with enough grey in it to make it look even ashier. It doesn't suit my personal style at all, and it's just so...blah, and boring.

Definitely.

I've been using chemical dyes for the last twenty years, first black, then burgundy. I haven't dyed it in a few months because I can't afford it right now and I'm thinking of trying a deposit-dye to get a deep burgundy-purple color, and to avoid damage.

Any good/bad experiences
Mostly good, but there was the time I dyed it bright flaming red. NOT a good color on me. I do notice that I shed a lot after I dye; I know you're supposed to avoid getting dye on the scalp but I have no idea how exactly you're supposed to do that, especially on the back of your head.

Maktub
August 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Do you like your natural hair colour? Yes, it's ok. It's some sort of brown... not sure how to describe it. Not very special nor head-turning, but that's ok

Would you prefer a different colour? Not really, but I wouldn't mind my greys waiting a few more years...

Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical Yes, chemical dyes and bleach (sun-in, etc.) a few times as a teen. Commercial low quality henna a few times too around 20 years old. Then pure good quality henna (and sometimes katam) when I discovered LHC. Loved henna and katam for the texture, ritual, etc., but the warm orange color doesn't suit me as much because my skin is more cool-toned. Went all natural 2 years ago. (wow, time goes by so fast !)

Any good/bad experiences?
* chemical/commercial color alteration destroyed my hair badly (along with the other bad stuff I did to it), most my hair was split at one time !
* henna was great to help my damaged hair when I started to care for it.
* natural color looks better on me, more natural. Hair is better than ever, because I now care for it.

massivecnqstdr
August 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde. I like it alright, I just always get bored! I have ruined the condition of my hair and scalp many times with typical hair dyes, so I am now trying to satisfy my need for change with plant dying.

ladylowtide
August 13th, 2013, 10:55 AM
-I used to hate it. I still don't like the idea of it, but I realize now it is the most flattering color on me. My natural color is dark ashy brown.
-I would like it white blonde, or natural red, or natural black.
-I have hennaed. I have bleached all the way to white.
Any good/bad experiences
-Henna made my hair and scalp super pretty. Going platinum destroyed it.

Chiyoe
August 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I am also a dark brunette, and quite happy with my color. I made the choice to try a perm once, and I absolutely hated it. For starters, the process was unpleasant and I didn't like knowing there were volatile chemicals so close to my face. Secondly, all it did was frizz out my hair and make me look like I was from the 80's... It did more damage than good. I've been afraid to try anything color-related for similar reasons. However, I could be persuaded to play around if there was some sort of natural and gentle way to do it. I think that's what henna is supposed to be?

dwell_in_safety
August 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I'm happy with my color, though it is a little cool-toned and my eyes and skin are very warm. I use cassia every six weeks not only for its conditioning benefits but also to add some warm tones to my hair! It works well, keeping my natural color but making it work better with the rest of me.

millyaulait
August 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
No, it's too light for my already pale complexion.

My natural hair colour is 'bronde'?

It's a light ash brown, but has a lot of gold/blonde in it too but it's often so light that it makes my hair look quite a bit thinner than it is.

It also washes me out, makes me look a bit sick. The tips of my eyelashes & eyebrows also hold a blonde / golden element.

I dye my hair dark brown & suddenly my face comes alive. I look brighter, less tired, my blue eyes stand out, my hair looks thicker.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Anje
August 13th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm another who's had it change on me, and I'm less happy now. Up through my mid-20s, my hair was a bright, light auburn. It's darkened a bit and the red has gone a bit more coppery, to the point where I'd say the average person would describe my hair as brown instead of red/auburn these days. I hennaed for a while, but it's a drying treatment for me and too cool-toned, so I'm occasionally glossing with neon red-oranges instead, which is fun.

I did tint it a coffee-like brown-black last winter, which was an interesting experiment. I'm more comfortable with the idea of it continuing to darken now, and the way it shifted my coloring a bit more toward winter was cool.

BeccaAngel
August 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Not a big fan of my own natural color which is light brown, its currently colored dark brown. And as for a prefered hair color, that changes for me all the time :P but I'm enoying my dark brown.

FoxyGhost
August 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I do not like my natural hair color. It is a smokey medium to dark brown and it washes me out and clashes with my golden undertones. Funny enough my eyebrows and eyelashes are much paler than my head hair, similar to the color I had as a young child. When I was little it was a medium goldish brown with the slightest touch of auburn but that only lasted until I was 5 or so.

I have always loved red hair or gold brown hair. I started dyeing or altering my hair color as soon as a was able to do it myself. I mostly lightened it with some john freda sunin type product they no longer make. It had actual chunks of lemon peels in it. Then in college I started dyeing it various shades of red, first professionally than on my own with box dyes. Lately its a coppery gold color. Reds faded too much but when copper fades its more of a gold color than a brown so I'll probably stick with copper. Most people think my current hair color is natural. I have even had a friend that knew me before I started dyeing it red tell me that he was glad that I stopped dyeing my hair brown because my natural red suited me so much better. I had to laugh but it sucks when fake damaging color looks better than what you were born with.

My hair is slightly damaged from all the dyeing but I have started just dyeing the roots and and using a henna gloss to match the length with the 'hot' copper roots. So far so good. I'm hoping that when the 5 or so inches that I have treated so well grow to be my ends I will have less fairy knots and splits but it will take quite a while to find out.

nobeltonya
August 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I love my natural chestnut color so I've never colored it. I wouldn't have the patience to maintain the color.. I highlighted it like 10 years ago, but I'd never get that done again.. :disco:

DancingGirl
August 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I don't like my natural color. When I was younger it was a really pretty light blonde, but like other as I got older it darkened. It's now a dark ash blonde and is very dull looking. For a few years I dyed it light blonde which I loved. The damage was starting to get to me though especially once I found TLHC. I tried growing it out but I just couldn't love the color. Now I use henna. The color is amazing and I love all the added benefits!

luxepiggy
August 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Nope. It is too warm for my skin tone and clashes with my preferred clothing colours. I especially dislike the colour it turns after repeated sun exposure over time.

Yes! Blue-black please b(^(oo)^)d

Yes, it is coloured blue-black right now, using a blue deposit-only dye over my unbleached natural colour.

Any good/bad experiences
I have never used chemical dye. My deposit-only dye experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, especially since I switched from the consumer brands (Special Effects/Manic Panic) to the salon brand I currently use (Pravana Chromasilk Vivids). The Pravana makes my hair extra-shiny and silky! It's basically like doing a really intense conditioning treatment every time (^(oo)^)v

Arnica
August 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I did before it changed.
It was bright, strawberry blonde until my mid-20's. Then, it started getting ashey. Now, it doesn't have any red or gold in it at all! None. It's medium ash-brown with a healthy dose of gray. (At least, I think that's what it is. I haven't seen more that 1/2" of roots in 20 years!)

I chemical colored my pixie every few weeks. When I discovered henna, I decided to grow it out. Henna is fabulous. It gives me fade-proof red. I don't care what shade of red it is, as long as it's red, and I love that it's rock-solid permanent. Once it's in, it isn't going anywhere.

Change the original color to light brown/chestnut and this is me. I always liked my hair color and never thought I'd dye it. Then the health of my hair started suffering and my hair became very dull and ashy. I also had a lot more grey than I wanted to deal with in my late 20s. :p I started using henna for the conditioning and color in February and love the red tones I have now.

sagremus
August 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I have very ashy brown natural hair. The hairstylist told me its like the darkest blonde you can get. Absolutely no red tones at all. I don't like it, it looks faded and sometimes grayish. I used to add some red into it to make it richer and more vibrant, but I haven't in a while. I would probably like henna.

jeanniet
August 13th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, I do. I have very dark brown hair and medium skin, so it's really the only color that would suit me well. I have colored in the past to cover up grays when they were first coming in. I didn't like the scattered gray look. Now it's come in well enough that I have a really lovely silver effect around my face that I like very much, so no more coloring for me.

verylittlecarro
August 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM
My avatar is me aged 12, with my naturally red tbl hair. By the time I became reconciled to being a "ginge" my hair was probably beginning to darken, and in my late 20s I added highlights and began the colouring quest for brighter-but-still-naturally-carrotty hair. Last year I realised my hair had a lot more white in it and the salon colour was just not looking right at all. I switched from salon colour to henna glosses and am happily embracing the darker, multi-toned but vibrant red I have now as a result.
I'm a fully paid up ginger and proud.
I'm going to resolutely rock the red until I'm solidly white underneath. And then I'll work out how to transition from that!

melusine963
August 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I don't really like my hair colour. I find it boring, but I've come to accept it and not really think about it much. It took a long time to mentally adjust to no longer being blonde (which I definitely was as a kid).

ositarosita
August 13th, 2013, 07:43 PM
My mother made me get my first highlights when I was about 13 because my hair colour was darkening ( it went from platinum to a light ash blonde) if it hadn't of been for my mother I never would have coloured my hair. After that I became addicted to the dye because I constantly wanted change and didn't feel beautiful with just my natural colour (thanks mom). I haven't coloured my hair since I met my SO and I could not be happier, it has darkened to the point now where it is almost silver and to me it's gorgeous. Not only is the colour beautiful to me but the condition of my hair is remarkable and I would not give up the condition of my hair for a slightly different colour.

Paraply
August 14th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have my natural haircolor and love it! I would never dye it... I call my haircolor "bronde" or "dirty blonde" :D Many scandinavian people have this kind of haircolor and nobody doesn't really pay attention to it... But when I travel to Asia my haircolor was quite "exotic" there. Some people even took my picture or touched my hair - without asking for permission! :P

Flor
August 14th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Mine's very dark brown, neutral tone, and I like it, but it can get a bit dull-looking, especially in summer. I had it dyes various shades of dark brown/black over the years, always in the shades that would wash off/grow out without any upkeep. I also go through henna phases often. Going through one right now in fact :D

ravenreed
August 14th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I like the color of my natural hair on other people. It just doesn't fit me, so I have been dyeing it most of my adult life.

Michiru
August 14th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I like it in the sense that it is technically dark blonde but with so many bottle blondes everyones calls me brown. I don't like it in the sense that's it's a bland color.
I want honey blonde
I have blonde highlights and since it's summer my hair has lightened on the top.
Any good/bad experiences
Fulling dying wasn't a good idea

Hairitic
August 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I really dislike my natural hair color. It is mouse brown with a lot of dull grey in it. If there was more of a contrast such as "Salt & Pepper", I would probably love it. As it is, I love my all natural organic BAC Red Raj Henna color. :p :lala:

Ezusthold
August 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I liked, and miss it :)
Originally it was mid chestnut brown, now a bit greyish brown with 30% of greys at temples and approx 10% grey elsewhere :(

sarahthegemini
August 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I like my natural colour, it's dark brown. I like the way it contrasts with my fair skin. I also have dark features (verrry dark *almost black* eyes, lashes and brows)
I'd prefer it if it was a little darker, like chocolate but it's not far off it so I'm not too bothered.
I've dyed my hair in the past but only a couple times - red when I was about 14, and blonde highlights on my pixie cut when I was about 19.
No bad experiences :)

umbrellabones
August 14th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I like my natural color(: it's dark brown. I've never dyed it at all because im chicken, but I have always been interested in having dark red hair or dark purple hair :p Maybe one day I'll get the guts to experiment with manic panic or something

humble_knight
August 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Q: Do you like your natural hair colour?
A: I'm at peace with the colour I have, but I did hate it for many years because I thought it was boring.

Q: Would you prefer a different colour?
A: Only if I could change my whole body, yes, I'd change my hair colour!

Q: Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical
A: Yep, I've used henna to successfully dye the few white hairs on my scalp.

Q: Any good/bad experiences
A: Cleaning the shower stall after henna's sat on my head for 8 hrs :D

panffle
August 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
My hair is naturally black and I don't like it. I would like to have chocolate brown hair, and for a while I tried getting it with chemical dye. Bad thing was it damaged my hair and I was forced to cut from waist+ to above shoulder once. I still dye my hair but use coconut oil to protect it while dyeing, though I want to stop and give my natural hair a chance to grow again.

AspenSong
August 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM
My natural color is a light/med ash brown color, with occasional red/gold hints. However it's more reddish/brassy tinted now from henna and cassia glosses.
I like it fine. I do long for more "oomph" at times for color, which is why I started sneaking some henna into my glosses.
I don't know that I prefer a certain color. At times I miss having my hair blonde, but I like it darker. I do sometimes wish to be a redhead. :)
I have colored my hair in the past a LOT. It was black, platinum blonde, pink for a short time, blue steaked, all shades of browns...
I think the worst experience of all those was really just the damage that came after a long period of dye for me. Which is why my hair was shorter through most of those colors. Except my blue streaks - my hair was about TB for that and it never washed out, just turned nasty green on me, which is why I think I drag my feet on dip dyeing my ends now. lol.

NoRush
August 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
So my questions for you guys.
Any good/bad experiences
I love my hair color but grays are advancing fast and I don't think I'll be able to keep my natural dark chesnut/espresso color much longer :(
Nope, I'm quite happy to be a brunette.
Yes, in my teens my hair was all colors of the rainbow: dark red, carroty red, blonde, black, blue and purple.
My first time coloring was one horrible experience, it brough about my first dermatitis flareup and I've been struggling with it ever since. And once I got my hair done professionally (deep red) and they messed up the solor and I ended up with a horizontal stripe of dark color on one side of my head XD

Vivalagina
August 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I like my natural hair color. It is now a light brown with red/gold undertones. Growing up it was a light golden blonde. When it started to darken as a teenager I hated the dark blonde and dyed it either brown or red or bleached it blonde. But now it's definitely naturally light brown and it looks much better with my skin tone. I do like doing an occasional henna gloss to bring out the red/gold shine in the sun. I don't think I will ever permanently dye my hair since I am too lazy to keep up with the roots.

cranberrymoonz
August 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
My natural colour is ashy dark blonde. I used to find it boring but I've grown to really like it. The problem is, I've been doing henna in the mean time. I'm currently growing it out but everybody tells me the red looks good on me and I should dye my roots. It's confusing

Foxylocks
August 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I like my natural hair color, although I prefer red hair. I have hennaed hair that I am growing out.
I have colored my hair with chemicals and with henna. I have vowed to never dye with chemicals again. Once I have grown out all of the old dye and henna, I will probably henna again. It's just the old dye I want to get rid of.

dulce
August 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I liked my natural color but started to dye due
to a thick white streak at 35,by my 40's the hated gray roots became more apparent,and the increasing use of dye to hide those roots started to damage my hair.It became brassy,faded ,thinning,brittle and had to be kept short.At 55,I said enough is enough ,I grew out my hair and stopped all dye and heat.At 61 have tailbone length silver streaked light brown hair which is much healthier,thicker and shinier.And surprise,I prefer my silvery colour now over my dyed colour.

NataschaB.
August 14th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I love my natural color :)

faellen
August 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I used to like my hair colour somewhat - it was a dark blonde/light brown when I was younger. However, I got the urge to dye and didn't stop until last year. I decided to stop due to the damage it was causing, plus laziness. The natural colour coming through at the roots looked so ashy and horrible to me, I considered dyeing again... But now it's growing out, I'm noticing subtle highlights and am really enjoying it.

woodswanderer
August 14th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I wish my color had a real name. It looks different in different lighting. I have heard light brown, chestnut, auburn, tawny,.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

MaryMarx
August 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have my natural haircolor and love it! I would never dye it... I call my haircolor "bronde" or "dirty blonde" :D Many scandinavian people have this kind of haircolor and nobody doesn't really pay attention to it... But when I travel to Asia my haircolor was quite "exotic" there. Some people even took my picture or touched my hair - without asking for permission! :P

Your username makes me think you're swedish? :)
I kind of have the same hair colour and have become more and more fond of it. But I hated it for years. It's actually a beautiful colour! It should be embraced and more accepted, instead of view upon as something you should hide and change to a "better" colour.

Charlotte Fawn
August 14th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I hated my natural hair colour growing up. (It's nearly identical to this (http://www.realbeauty.com/cm/realbeauty/images/F8/rby-bfbs-emma-stone-synd-1.jpg), except mine is a bit darker.) I'm quite fond of it now that I'm older though. Hoping it grows back in quickly. :)

clarixa
August 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I love my natural hair color. It's really dark brown. It looks black sometimes or redder sometimes in the right lighting. I think it looks nice with my skin tone and my really dark brown eyes. :p I don't think I could pull off any other hair color.

norths
August 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM
same here. im scared all my hair is going to fall out :/

norths
August 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I wish my color had a real name. It looks different in different lighting. I have heard light brown, chestnut, auburn, tawny,.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i like it how a lot of hair shades are named after food types. like chocolate brown, strawberry blonde, honey blonde
only wished hair smelled like it. hahah

HintOfMint
August 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I like my natural color alright--it's a soft black color with a tiny brown tinge that glows slightly reddish cinnamon in sunlight.

However, just today I was struck with the urge to make my hair JET black, like a really dense, dark, blue-black. Of course I started poring over the henna+indigo threads for a lead of some sort.

luxepiggy
August 14th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I like my natural color alright--it's a soft black color with a tiny brown tinge that glows slightly reddish cinnamon in sunlight.

However, just today I was struck with the urge to make my hair JET black, like a really dense, dark, blue-black. Of course I started poring over the henna+indigo threads for a lead of some sort.

Piggy suggests a test-run with a blue deposit-only dye first! That is how I get my blue-black, and if you hate it, it will wash out (^(oo)~)

RedNymph
August 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I've got red hair, more of a strawberry blonde in summer. I like it sometimes, other times I want to have nice dark hair.

HintOfMint
August 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Piggy suggests a test-run with a blue deposit-only dye first! That is how I get my blue-black, and if you hate it, it will wash out (^(oo)~)

Thank you! How long would you say it lasts?

Ambystoma
August 14th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Yes, I do - you can see the colour in my avatar and album, it's a very dark auburn brown. It changed a lot between childhood and adulthood and I'm both surprised and pleased at the shade it finally settled on.

I'd love it if all my hair could be the exact same colour as my sunbleached ends (that's them in my sig pic, in full sunlight, looking very bright and coppery) but realistically I'd either have to live under a sunbeam or use bleach to get it all to match, so I'm ok with most of it not being as red.

I've been every "natural looking" colour possible, everything from blue black to snowy platinum! I used chemical dyes and bleach for all of these changes, never anything natural.

Any good/bad experiences
When I went from black to white I got a chemical haircut to go with it, plus everything left was in appalling condition - not a smart move for sure :laugh:
Up until recently I used to occasionally use 6 - 8 wash temporary colours to brighten the red or give a slightly darker, richer gloss, but the last one I used caused me to lose a surprising amount of hair while washing it out, and everytime I combed or washed it afterwards for a good 3 months! The shedding is finally back to normal now, but my braid has a little more taper than before :( so you bet I'm never going near colour ever ever again!

SongofLove
August 15th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Yes, though I admire other hair colors, I think only black hair suits me, and I like the look of black hair anyway.

No, not really.

No, I haven't ever tried coloring my hair. I've thought about it and I thought it would be cool to try a different color but I'm way too lazy. When my hair starts showing a lot of gray I will probably try henna indigo though.

luxepiggy
August 15th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Thank you! How long would you say it lasts?

It depends on your wash method, and which brand you use. I CO-wash, and Adore #112 Indigo Blue lasted through about 3-4 weeks for me, whereas Special Effects Blue Velvet lasted more like 8-10 weeks. If you wash with shampoo it will fade much faster, probably in about half the time.

Now that I've decided I want to keep the blue-black over the long term, I use Pravana Chromasilk Vivids Blue, which is is pretty much permanent (^(oo)^)v

twinklingbell
August 16th, 2013, 01:07 AM
What a fun thread!:)
I love my natural hair color! My natural color is medium or dark blond. It used to be light yellow blonde until age 8, when it became ash blonde. Then when I was about 12, it got some more yellow,gold and even red strands throughout. So I guess it's kind of wheat/hay blonde now? Although I'm still used to calling it ash blonde. Since then it hasn't changed much, and I don't think it'll change any more. I hope not anyway... :pray:
No, I would not prefer a different color, but I'd love if my hair lightened on its own! I'm actually looking forward to the day when I get my first white hairs! :p
Well, I've let the sunlight bleach it, if that counts. Otherwise, I've never used any dyes, natural or chemical. I have a feeling that chemical dyes would pretty much give my wish for long hair a death sentence.
Any good/bad experiences
I think that excessive sun bleaching could have helped contribute to a bad shed I had when I was 13. So I try to take it easy with that now that I'm trying to grow my hair longer than I've ever had it, and I don't want damage to destroy it. Still, I can't resist sun bleaching just a little... :o

Charmelia
August 17th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I donīt know what my natural haircolour looks like, but Iīm trying to find out:). Right now it doesnīt look too good in contrast with the semidyes and hennaed hair.
Yes! I always wanted to be a natural redhead:shrug:.
Yes, Iīve tried most haircolours. But my hair canīt grow long when I abuse it with box dye, so I am trying to quit.
Yes, both. Losing hair because of too strong bleach happened to me twice.

HollyG
August 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I HATE my natural colour - it's light brown in summer (ash), and in winter it's almost black and seems to have a red tint (think that's the sun damaging it though but didn't think it was possible to have ash and red in my hair) :/

I've tried so many times to let my natural colour come through but i hate it that much i dye my hair dark brown/black but it soon fades to almost my natural colour even though i use permanent dye.

Use chemical, usually garnier nutrisse but am planning on trying l'oreal due to the fading

Any good/bad experiences
Never had a problem, as long as i use the conditioner in the pack and let it air dry for a few days. I have started using coconut oil before and my hair seems to come out better with it and i also use deep conditioner the wash after (Pantene colour damage or something)

MunaZaldrizoti
August 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Yes, I quite like my natural colour. It's a gold, very slight red colour.

Being a natural redhead would have been interesting - if only I had inherited my dad's hair colour. :rolleyes: But I still like my natural hair colour. :)

I dyed my hair three or four times with henna. First red, then eventually brown. A while later I tried to get highlights.

Any good/bad experiences
When I got highlights, they turned green because the bleach reacted with the henna, so the hairdresser had to dye over it.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I do ^-^ I have libht brown hair that can get some blondish highlights on the sun, I really like it ^-^

I actually like pretty much all hair colors xD I guess I can experiment sometimes, but dyed colors rarelly have all the various shades on the same head of hair like natural ones, and that bothers me...

I have been a blonde before, and although I don't regret it, I wouldn't do it again (nothing agaisnt blondes, it's just that I think it made me look bland... a colors that contrasts more with my skin suits me better, I think, but I don't think it looked that fake...

Any good/bad experiences
Well, I did ruin my hair by bleaching it... but that's just learning experiences from life, so I don't really regret it ^-^ It made me learn how to properly take care of hair

Btw, I'm hennaing now not because I dislike my color, but because I wanna be a redhead right now ^-^ and I think I'm falling in love with henha heheheheh

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Oops, double post!

stinkyfeet
August 17th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I have Asian jet black APL hair. I enjoy my color now (minus the few greys that I have!), but when I was in my teens and 20's I have to admit that I was envious of other hair colors for having such variability and dimension. The funny thing is that others were envious of my hair for being dark and shiny, so I guess the grass is usually greener on the other side!

ghost
August 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I like seeing my natural hair color on other people, but I don't like it on myself. I have that dark blonde/blonette hair that can go golden and look really pretty given enough time and sunlight, but usually pulls toward being light brown and dare I say mousy. I stopped trying to embrace it because I just couldn't do it! Seriously, I colored over my (bleached) white-blonde hair and gave up the dye for over a year in an attempt to grow out my natural color, but then I remembered why I started coloring to begin with. I would love to have really Nordic looking hair, the kind that's so blonde it's almost white, but I don't think I could ever do that to my hair again...so now I dye it blue black. I like extremes :)

VJG
October 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I do like my natural color - although, I can't really decide what color it is. I would like for it to be redder and thicker, but generally I think it's fine the way it is. :)

Almendra
October 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I don't hate my hair color, but I always get bored of it. My natural hair is almost black. In the past I liked to make changes with my color and always involve bleach , dye and in the end, damage. I did'nt always have problem with this, because my hair is very tough, but in the last years the structure of my hair has changed and now I have to take too much care of it. Anyway, I'm in process to light my dye hair with honey, cinnamon and stuff like that. I'd like to have a copper hair color, although I know is not easy for me, but I am close :)

Audhumla
October 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I like my hair colour. Hairdressers always tell me I have a nice hair colour and it's warm and I shouldn't dye it. I feel like they say that to be friendly and because they sense they couldn't sell me a dye job if their career depended on it :p
I liked the colour a lot better when I was younger.
I was one of those babies that started out very light blonde then went progressively to strawberry blonde and then into a nice bright auburn and then settled in medium brown with kind of coppery tones in the sun by the time I was 7.
If I had a choice I would've stopped that natural process a few shades sooner so I got a redder auburn.
Never dyed because the thought of having to mess with your hair and potentially dye it the wrong colour on top of the upkeep cost every month or so is really off-putting to me.

0xalis
October 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I think my hair colour is called "ash brown" and yeah I like it. I like my natural colour and darker on me. I HATE blonde on me, it's hideous and it also caused me to have to chop all of my hair off!! :steam
I had black hair before in the 9th grade and I think it looked quite nice on me. It also didn't damage my hair nearly at all. My hair has always been quite resilient until the bleach disaster happened.

chen bao jun
October 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I've always loved my hair color. It's very black. It suits me.
It looks nice now that it is going grey, also.
Never wanted to dye it and never will.

BrownEyedBeauty
October 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM
I love my natural hair colour which is a light brown/dark blonde shade. I used to colour it darker years ago with a semi-permanent with no ill effects. Although I love my natural colour, I wouldn't mind it being a little bit lighter still.

Olavi
October 6th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I really like my natural colour. It may not be the most "beautiful" colour, but it's the one that suits me and my overall colours best :)

I have tried black, darker brown, few different shades of red (orange-red was second best for me) and pink. Everyone of them, except for they orange, messed my "colour balance", and my face either looked whiter or redder than what it really was.

I was lucky thought, when I decided to grow my natural colour back, my hair was dyed black, and it faded to exact same colour of what my hair naturally is. So new growth was visible for only few first months :)

restless
October 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM
My hair is naturally a shade of middle brown with lots of golden tints thrown in. In my teens and early 20s I really disliked it and thought it was dull and boring. Back then I wanted pitch black hair (I had an emo/goth phase going on) and therefor I dyed it for a couple of years until I suddenly decided I 1. was tired of the upkeep and 2.wanted to get a little "softer" look back. I then quit doing the hair dye and here I am now. The last inches of my hair still has some dye in, but my natural colour reaches to somewhere between APL-BSL I think (hard to tell where the dermacation line is).

Nowadays I really like my own hair colour. Especially I like my silvers because they make pretty highlights and blend well with the gold. I think this site has a lot to do with how I look at my hair nowadays :)

Diamond.Eyes
October 6th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I really do love my natural hair color. I feel like I wouldn't be me without it. There have been times where I've wanted to try henna or get highlights but then I realize I would probably hate it because it isn't my color. I'm not sure if that makes sense :laugh:..I wouldn't have it any other way though. I love my red hair :p

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Yes, now i do like it, but during the time of adolescence i completely hated it, so i dyed it darkest brown i found with ammonia free permanent dye. My hair was a bit dry by then, but didn't feel very damaged. Then i wanted red, so i chemically dyed it red using dye with ammonia. Afterwards my hair reeked ammonia for three days and then became straw like. It was unpleasant to touch it as it felt bone-dry and rough. I had a major shed and brakage since that time. Then i started hennaing it and the part where the roots were coming in looks much better than the chemically damaged part. Now i stopped dying it and am waiting for my natural colour to grow out, so i can trimm away all the damage bit by bit. My natural hair is dark blonde/light brown. I'd like them a little darker, but oh well :)

weeza
October 7th, 2013, 12:48 AM
I LOVE my hair color! I'm a redhead, though I am just starting to go grey, which made me very sad until I noticed none of my new hair is grey but rather a gorgeous white!

Ashflower89
October 7th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I hated my hair color when I was younger because it seemed so boring to me. I thought I had to dye my hair every color of the rainbow until I found my "perfect shade", the color that compliments my skin tone and eyes the most. Ironically, everyones natural color is usually their "perfect shade", but I didn't learn that about mine until I was like 20. I obsessed over blood red colors before finally realizing I loved my natural color all along. I cut my hair into a short pixie to remove as much dyed hair as possible, and now Im in the long painful growing phase of getting my natural color back.

inanna
October 7th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I've grown to like my natural hair colour. I think it has changed a bit over the years, but I'm more or less what is affectionately called dishwater brown or mousy brown. I think it's a nice, soft colour that goes well with the rest of my colouring (yeah, go figure that my natural colour would), and now that I have my natural hair colour back I find I need much less makeup to look nice. I do still apply dye to my eyebrows every now and then, as without it they would be blonde enough to look non-existent.

I've tried red, dark brown and a myriad shades of black. My worst experience with synthetic dyes was when I decided to go from black to red, bleached my hair myself and ended up with neon pink roots. I had to go into a salon to get it fixed and haven't bleached my hair since!

Right before I decided to stop messing with my hair colour altogether, I did henndigo for a while. It was nice in that it made my hair more manageable texture-wise, but I do find virgin hair the easiest to care for.

Sometimes I look back at photos and think how great my hair looked, only to remember how I'd been up half the night before the party desperately dying my roots! ;)

Ms. Littlefish
October 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Not particularly. I either wish it were darker or lighter. It's just that in between shade. Even then I'm fine with its level, what I don't like is that it's a little too cool toned for my coloring. I've always liked warmer colors on me more.

ositarosita
October 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I like my hair colour.. it's a light ash blonde and that is still a little on the blonde side... it's light, super shiny, and it's a unique colour (I have yet to see it in a box). I have bleached it, streaked it, highlighted it, coloured it browns and auburns.. simple because of the "I need to be different from what I was in high school" .. I don't see myself doing a full colouring again maybe an ombre or reverse ombre/ dip dying but that's about it.. ohhh and I dyed my hair so much that I suffered from a chemical cut, which is when you dye your hair so much that the chemicals cause breakage in one particular part of the hair it looks like you cut it.

Rio040113
October 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Why yes actually I do :) I didn't for many years, I thought it was boring, typical teenager I guess but now I've grown to realise, obvious as it is, no colour suits me better! Plus I love how much it changes in the light and is so multi dimensional. Literally have no idea what colour it is though, some days it looks super dark brown, others more medium, in the sun you can see a red/auburn tint to it. I have my redhead grandad to thank for that <3

They say the grass is always greener and I do have a love for red hair and jet black hair but I'm happy enough with my own colour nowadays.

Have you coloured your hair before? How -natural/chemical?
Many many many times, chemically. Ouch.

Put it this way, I won't ever bleach my hair again ;)

Bun15
October 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I do like my dark black-brown hair. Although sometimes, my sis and mother insist I dye it black :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I like it black and all, but is it that hard to believe that maybe I want it my natural hair color? Beautiful isn't necessarily fake. For god sakes...

teawitch
October 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I was never fond of my natural hair color until recently... it's light ash brown. I had it highlighted blonde, dyed it various shades of brown and red, dyed it black, dyed it purple, swore off chemical dyes and started using henna, then swore off henna because it was too much upkeep. Now I'm finally starting to make peace with my natural color. I do cassia treatments now and then for conditioning, but that's it. I have noticed in some light my hair actually has a bit of a coppery hint to it (go figure), and it's little things like that that make me appreciate my color. Also, when I think of how much dyed hair I've had to chop off, and how long my hair would be if I hadn't done that, it's enough to make me like my natural hair color!

BrightEyes
October 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I don't like my a natural color. It's a dark blonde, but is still too dark for my preference. And I have a few grays and am not ready to embrace them. So I get highlights and low lights. I love the lightness as well as the color variation I get with them.

I've been getting my hair done at a salon for over 10 years. Other than one time, I've always had a great experience with my color. As long as I am clear with what I want, the stylist does a good job. I've also been told my hair color is easy to lift because it is naturally light. So I've never had a problem with brassiness. And since I've been doing coconut oil treatments before going to the salon, my hair hasn't had the dryness I've experienced before.

Leery
October 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I don't mind my colour, which is a fairly dark brown, but I do love the extreme and wish I'd had something more eye-catching... white blonde, jet black or bright red (any red, come to think of it. I love red hair!)

I dyed it several times as a teenager, mostly black since it was too dark for anything else. Once, however, I bleached it. At home. Needless to say, it came out a brassy, orange-yellow mess. Add to that the self-cut, haphazard mullet I'd given myself the week before and well... it was a good thing I was confident.

muddblood21
October 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM
For a while I was totally unaware of what my natural color was anymore. I was a mild highlighter (once or twice a year) to keep it lighter than my natural color. Then I cycled through some pretty red shades. Now I am color/bleach free since April 2013 and I can say that I actually like my fairly medium to light blonde natural color. It is not as dark as it used to seem next to near platinum. I am only a few months away from cutting off the rest of the bleach too! We will see how long I can go before I give into temptation of a few highlights ::gasp!:: :p

Sylvestrix
October 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Whoops, double post, sorry! :doh:

Sylvestrix
October 7th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm not a lover of it, just because I find it fairly boring. But I'm growing it out anyhow. More because I feel like I should, but eh, we shall see! I'm coming up on 16 months without dye, so maybe as my virgin bits get longer and start showing some personality I'll change my mind. No one can have my red though! -hisses and clings to her dye soaked ends- My prrrrecioussss.

I do like the way it looks in braids and buns though- the contrast is kinda nifty, which is one part of the growing out process I'm quite enjoying! (Also not having the upkeep of compulsively dyeing my roots every two weeks, heh.)
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/Sylvestrix/braidbun_zpsc5d78b69.jpg

summergreen
October 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I've never liked my natural hair colour...when I look back at photos I really like the colour when I was younger, a very warm, almost auburn mid brown, but I didn't appreciate it then! I can't colour my hair now because of bad reactions to dye/henna and it's taken a long time to adjust to the silvers, which I still don't like against the brown...and I don't like the brown either because it's not a warm brown any more. Maybe I'll like it when it's all silver!

wildkratt
October 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I don't like my natural hair color, which is practcally black. You can only tell that it's slightly brownish naturally if you look reeeallly close in the light. So over the summer I put tons of lemon juice in my hair and stood out in the sun every day for weeks. It was pretty damaging, but I love the results because it's now very easy to see that my hair is mostly just dark brown instead of plain black.

lilahtov
October 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'm tempted to try henna, but not until I find out more about it. And gosh, they make the chemical kits so easy! :p
I don't care for my natural color too much. I don't think it is ugly, but I really don't think it suits me like a darker color does. I have very fair skin and blue eyes, and dark brown looks more striking and interesting on me than a lightish, cool brown which I find mousy and not as dramatic. As long as I take good care of my hair and don't bleach it, I don't see a problem with it!

*BrunetteBeauty
October 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I like my natural hair color and have never dyed my hair before. I've thought about it a few times but I know that if I did, I would regret doing it. I think people look best with the natural color they were born with. Even if it changes color a little over time.

aisha.christine
October 18th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Not particularly. It went very ashy a couple of years ago. My mom has a similar problem now, but she's more than twice my age, so at least she got a little more time with her auburn hair.
I wouldn't really prefer to have my hair GROW another color, but I have no qualms dying it.

magfish
October 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I'm okay with my natural hair colour. It's so dark brown it's almost black (but I promise it's brown... in the right light you can tell) which is unique but also boring. I'd love to be able to henna it to a gorgeous dark red but of course that'll never happen. The problem with dark hair is you have no opportunity to change it!

BeccaAngel
October 18th, 2013, 07:54 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114128

Amygirl8
October 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I do for the most part, but I love the henna'ed colour so much more.

CurlyCap
October 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Yep. I can't imagine me with any other color.

I've always wanted to dye my hair electric blue, though. Not because I don't like my hair color, but because it seems like it would be so neat to have neon hair.

Valkyriejae
October 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I like my hair colour in the sun, because all the red and blond natural highlights show. It any other light though, it looks super bland and dishwatery.
I'm also a bit biased, because I had platinum blond hair as a kid and about half my family has red hair, so I kinda feel extra boring next to that. I'm seriously considering henna to go red...

dancingrain91
October 18th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Dark golden blonde and after bleaching it within an inch of it's poor hair life I finally love it.

MsSunshine
October 18th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I don't love my natural hair color. It's a lighting brown, and I have dyed it MANY times to escape from it. Lately I've been using Lush Henna colors - but those are very permanent and not for the faint of heart. If I could have ANY color, my hair would be a dark chocolate brown/almost black color. I love deep, dark color.

bythesea
October 18th, 2013, 09:46 PM
My hair has been every color under the sun at some point, lol. BUT!!! I haven't really dyed it in about 2-3 years. :) Which is a huge feat for me, haha. Though this year I did use semi-permanent dye (without peroxide/lifting agents) to add some low lights.

I don't love my hair color, it's a medium brownish color, and I wish it was a darker/richer brown. The only thing keeping me from dying it right now is how healthy my hair has been since I've stopped chemically processing it and I have a few natural highlights through the crown from this summer.

October 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I like my natural color. It is blonde. Blonder than I realize. When I see photos of myself I feel like my hair is lighter than I perceive it. It appears lighter in sunlight and darker when wet or indoors. If I am outside long enough it naturally lightens itself.

Singing Bird
October 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I like my natural color. It's a light brown with gold and red. But at the moment most of the hair is dyed in a dark brownish color. It will take some years before my hair is in its natural color again.

Tota
October 19th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I love it. The longer my hair, the prettier the colour.

Not really. Maybe if I could have hair like princess Merida, but I think I'd change my mind after a while :)

I bleached my hair when I was 15 and continued to colour it until I was 25. I used bleach and chemical colours to change my hair in orange and then dark red. When my hair was totally destroyed I chopped almost all of it off and started to grow out my virgin hair. That was almost 5 years ago.

Going back to my natural colour was the best decision ever. My hair is thicker and healthier than ever, it grew longer than ever before and I have no more issues with my previously itchy, irritated and oily scalp. I also saved a ton of money since saying no to salons and hair dyes :) I will never colour my hair again, I swear (maybe, when I get older I will try cassia).

Violet.
October 19th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I don't, I kinda hate it. I mean it's a pretty color, but it doesn't suit me at all so I hat eit.
I'd prefer a different color - a lighter one.
I colored my hair... I used bleach, chemical colors, lemon, honey, cinnamon... I tried lots of things.
All those experiences are pretty bad, I mean the only good thing is color, but it kinda ruins my hair.

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I hate my real hair colour. It's so blah and ugly. It's very ash brown, looks greyish. I haven't actually seen it for over 10 years and I'm afraid I have to see it again soon. I'm very jealoys to people who have beautiful hair colours :(

NuclearApple
October 19th, 2013, 04:45 AM
i like my hair colour,but i'd prefer black,I love black hair.

RedNymph
October 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I'm happy with my hair color. Other times I just want something different. But most of the time I'm happy:)

Sunny_side_up
October 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Since dying my hair with a box dye in June from my dark brown to an ash brown, must say as the colours grown out I've been more conscious of my lovely root growth & how healthy my hair looked in past pictures pre dye and have learned to desire my natural colour again! The dyed parts have lightened a little over summer and appear mahogany in the light. I have got compliments from workmates.

I had a massive shed a few months after the box dye treatment (contained peroxide) but also round that time was under ALOT of stress :( so its prob a combination. Can say now I don't have any urge to use a permanent hair dye on my hair ever again.

rose313
October 19th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I do not really like it but it's not bad. My natural hair color is a medium ash brown. It does not really go with my skin tone or my personality. I dye my hair blonde and have still been able to keep it healthy and grow it to waist length, and will continue to grow it.

Shibe
October 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I enjoy my hair color. It's a light ashy brown and my forehead and temples are platinum blonde at the roots.

Jasperine
October 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Medium brown hair with a dash of red here. Like it, but don't love it. Love my natural highlights. Want it to be more red.
Tried henna when I was younger and I've also tried to semi permanent dyes. Also lightened my hair quite a bit to get a more ginger colour and now I'm paying the price by having to grow it out again (don't like the damage and it got super light in places during the summer months!).

Enrapture
October 20th, 2013, 02:52 AM
My hair is medium ash brown hair. I wish it was a brown warm colour. It doesn't suit my eye colour and skin colour, even though i am fair, but i have yellow undertones.

Natalina
October 20th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I love my natural hair color, it's different shades of dark brown. :) However I also love dyeing my hair because I like to try new things, it's currently chemically dyed reddish-brown, and I plan to dye it again early January next year. No bad experiences whatsoever, my hair looks and feels great! In my opinion, it all depends on the products you use (also, why some people don't do patch allergy tests is beyond me), and how well you take care of your hair afterwards.

katelinn
October 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I am happy with my colour, it's different shades of blonde, some very light and some quite darker. I have had it natural for 4 years now!

Aingeal
October 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Nope. I hate it. I used to have auburn hair, but over the years it has become more ashy brown than anything. And now....it's graying. Yuck. I've been dying my hair every three to four months for years now.

jupiterinleo
October 20th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I was a bright blonde until middle school when my hair darkened to light/medium brown. Actually, I'm still not really sure what color to call it--it's an ashy medium brown or dark blonde with red and blonde tint in the sun. Either way, I never disliked my hair color, though I did dye it blonde a few year back. It's almost all grown out now, and I've found that I missed having my natural color.

pwettyfleur
October 21st, 2013, 02:57 AM
my first post!!!

anyway... I REALLY dislike my natural hair colour. It was blonde and started darkening around 7-8 years old, so persuaded my Mum to start highlighting it blonde as she was regularly home-dying her own hair and always had some to spare. By 12 I had postbox red hair and I kept going until it had been every shade of blonde to dark brown, from bright pink, darker magenta, deep purple, every shade of red under the sun and I've found that my hair hasn't suffered that much for it, as I barely bleached it. I must say that it also didn't cost much, as I was either getting my hair done for free at a Toni and Guy hair school, buying good quality dyes on sale, or using 'natural' dyes.

My hair is now a lovely blonde and its the longest I've ever kept the same colour (about 8 months). I'm still growing out my latest pink which gives the bottom part of my hair a weird pink-blonde effect.

flemeister
October 21st, 2013, 03:56 AM

Yes. It's a very dark brown.

Yes. A medium blonde colour would be awesome, or a slightly coppery dark red. :)

Never have, probably never will unless I could do it without any lasting damage that would require growing it out.

bexcalo
October 21st, 2013, 04:49 AM
my natural colour used to be a gorgeous chocolate brown, however i have been colouring it since i was 11! Now the roots are more salt and pepper than brown which is very depressing! Im only 30!

MaryO
October 21st, 2013, 05:13 AM
I actually quite like my natural hair colour. It took me many years to get here. I actually just said to my husband yesterday that I would probably never dye my hair again. I have had it many many colours and when I think back the one I think was the the best was a sort of coppery auburn- it matched my complexion and made me look healthy in some way. But after all the dyeing my hair was fried and I now have virgin hair and am happy with it and proud! :-)

emilia1992
October 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM
Natural colour: Very dark brown.

Prefer something else?: Yes, something lighter.

Dyed: All the way from platinum blonde, through red, brown and black.
I'd like red or light brown hair, but it's far too high maintenence. And it'd clash with my skin tone, which is too warm for such colours.
I've used both henna and synthetic dye, and actually got better results with the synthetic. I actually dyed my hair yesterday, just to get rid of roots; it's now a medium-dark brown.

Scarlet_Heart
October 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM
I do not like my natural hair color. It's a grayish, mousey light brown. I sometimes dye it red, sometimes a darker brown. I use demi-permenant hair color so it's pretty much deposit-only, but lasts a good while.

RainbowBowser
October 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM
I do, I just find it too dark.

A couple shades lighter would be nice

I've been playing around with chemicals before. I've bleached a couple of streaks into my hair that I maintained a violet/blue shade for.
After that in attempt to get rid of the stained parts I've bleached an ombre into my hair
Then I decided to dye my hair a slightly darker brown which honestly just fades right back into my natural color.
I've dyed my hair that color twice. I also put black at the bottom of my hair to attempt the reverse ombre but thankfully it faded out, I would not want to bleach that out.

Any good/bad experiences
I've been pretty lucky with coloring on my own. I do a lot of research and pay close attention to the instructions.

Snena
October 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM
My natural hair color is medium to dark brown. Sometimes I hate it, and sometimes I love it.
I would like my hair color to be a bit warmer. I've been thinking about using henna recently.

One of my biggest problems when it comes to my hair is my constant need to change it. I've dyed my hair black, red, mahogany brown, light coppery brown, and, two months ago, chestnut brown. I've used bleach ones, and I regret it terribly. Right now I have about a inch and a half of my natural hair color. Dyed parts of my hair are almost perfectly matched in color with the regrowth.

My worst experience with dyeing my hair was when I tried to put light blond box dye over hair that has been dyed red previously. I had to walk around for a month and a half with some sort of bizarre reversed blond-coppery-red ombre.

thirstylocks
October 21st, 2013, 02:45 PM
I used to have a lot of problems accepting my hair color. I was always the odd one out among my fair-skinned, blonde/blue eyed friends and it made me feel self conscious (I'm talking during high school). I even went as far as to bleach my entire head from root to tip in order to get the "bleach blonde" look. This, of course, ruined my hair...When I found LHC I started my long hair journey by chopping off my waist length bleached locks.

I still struggle with this sometimes. Its strange because whenever I see a brunette or raven haired girl, I love their hair! And, my hair color objectively is beautiful - it is a chocolate brown. I'm not sure what part of me sometimes feels bad about this, and its not something I like to admit. I'd never dye my hair again and I'm learning to love my hair color.

seamonster
October 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
I do not care for my natural hair color. How does one have a dish water black hair color. Now that I henna, I am in love with the color. Henna gives me deep burgundy cherry cola hair that I love.

Orange Queen
October 21st, 2013, 03:07 PM
I like my hair colour if it was a little bit more consistent. I'm medium/light ashy blonde, but in the summer I bleach out in the sun in about an hour or so. My hair gets super light blonde. Come fall It looks like I'm growing out a bad dye job, and makes my limp fine hair look worse than it is.

Morphidae
October 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM
I used to dye my hair purple before. Altough is still my favorite color, I have learned to love my natural color. Is black, even darker than many of my friends... And I love it!!!

Sometimes I get asked if I dye my hair black. The only downside is when is dry, or damaged, the ends will definitely show very easily!!

sourgrl
October 21st, 2013, 03:53 PM
Sometimes... :) I have chestnut/medium brown. In some lights it looks boring, in others dark brown, which I like. My favorite thing about my color are the natural copper highlights I have. I'd love to color the few greys I have but it would cost me those copper strands. I figure as long as I keep my hair healthy it will keep the few greys I have looking their best, it makes the greys look like tinsel in my hair. Kinda fun without the cost.

vindo
October 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM
I like my natural color now. It is a dark brown with orange, golden, red tones. It can look pretty dark in some light and then also pretty light sometimes...very weird.

But I have dyed my hair the majority of my adulthood. I started growing out my last dye (red henna) ind late 2009 and have been all natural since July 2013! (So the newest pics in my sig and the others show hennaed ends still)

firegypsy
October 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM
I very much do. I don't think it's spectacularly pretty, but it's very me. :)

Zindell
October 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Do you like your natural hair colour? I do! In fact i love it.
Would you prefer a different colour? No.
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical? I used to bleach highlights in it.
Any good/bad experiences? I was too ignorant to really check my hair quality back when I bleached it.

Funny thing is my coworkers doesn't concider my hair to be blonde. I guess it's because most of them bleach it almost white. The color blonde seems to have a new meaning these days.

<--- What else color would my hair be?

chellis
October 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Do you like your natural hair colour? I'm astonished that I really do now, as it's gone very sandy from red-gold
Would you prefer a different colour? No.
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical? Henna, cassia, now I use MP as a toner, and Avigal hazel (ash blonde)
Any good/bad experiences? Keep me away from scissors-happy people who want to 'trim' my hair! I'm much happier trimming it myself

ShieldMayden
October 30th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Do you like your natural hair colour? Not a fan of my brown with some red, but I miss it.
Would you prefer a different colour? I love raven black hair.
Have you coloured your hair before? Dying for the past 5 years and it's starting to feel like my head is covered in poison for some reason so I'm quitting.
Any good/bad experiences? Somehow more men ask me out w/the black hair, but it's guys I normally wouldn't be attracted to in the first place. Weird.

Arciela
October 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Do you like your natural hair colour? Yup! Completely happy with it :)

Would you prefer a different colour? Hehe nope, my hair is a brown color with natural highlights!

Have you coloured your hair before? Yes , I've bleached it and colored it every color I can think of. Finally did a big chop and all natural now 2 years later!
how -natural/chemicalAny good/bad experiences
Chemical! Very bad and good experiences >< I lost all my hair from bleach before...that's probably the worst...

Anexia
October 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Do you like your natural hair colour? I actually don't know what my real haircolor is yet...I'm growing out my natural hair
Would you prefer a different colour? I would love to have somekind of red
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical Chemical...all the time but now I've had enough of that :)
Any good/bad experiences Hmmm...only when I bleached it once...my hair looked terrible. But I have never been disappointed when I have colored it.

BlueMuse
October 30th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I'm fond of my color. It gets redder in the summer and a bit more goldy in the winter, and changes based on the light source (it can light up fire red depending on where the sun is). If I take after my mother, it'll be this color or something similar for a while. She's in her 60's and has barely started going gray.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/maegochan/IMG_2026.jpg (http://s658.photobucket.com/user/maegochan/media/IMG_2026.jpg.html)

hairaddiction
October 31st, 2013, 09:49 AM
I'm not a fan of my natural color, no. It's a flat medium brown. It's been called auburn, and it used to be but now it's not. I wish I had naturally super black hair.

I've dyed my hair all kinds of colors both chemical and not. My favorite was lavender. But when I bleached my hair that light it was literally breaking an inch from my scalp. I was devastated and had to get a really short pixie. Never again.

Now I henna only and it's lovely.

Marbid
October 31st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Im usually meh about my hair color. I would prefer it to be dark black/brown or just plain black as it would go better with my complexion.

But my hair color on its own is not too bad. It has shades of medium brown to dark brown and a few strands of honey brown. So it's alright. Changes colors depending on the light. May look dark brown sometimes and completely honey colored some other times.

I've dyed my hair black when I was in high school. Never stayed on my hair for very long. Would fade to my natural color within a month. But I don't mind my natural color too much. I've also dyed it blond. Or tried to. Just to see how it would come out. Despicable.

Yeah, that one time I tried to dye my hair blond was a bad experience. My hair does not like to change colors. So after three applications, the lightest I could get it was a strange shade of orange. This was back in middle school by the way. Long time ago. Lasted about a month. Like all my dye attempts. My hair really likes to be brown.
I did try an at home chemical relaxer meant for African american hair. I left it on too long and it burned my scalp plus 2/3 of my hair just fell out. So I had to shave all my head bald. (my hair grew back in patches because of the chemical damage on my scalp) That was quite some years back... Bout 4 years back. My last high school year. Yeah you can imagine graduation. I have not placed a chemical other than shampoo and conditioner on my hair since. lol.

So this is my hair color at the moment. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6816&d=1381555124

p.s. the line in the middle of my hair is because I cut my canopy layer separetly from the rest of my hair. :)

LauraLongLocks
October 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
I love my natural color.

In high school, I dyed it a richer auburn than it is naturally, but it made it more purple than I wanted.

Once, about 6 years ago, I had some foil wraps done with a reddish/goldish tone. No one could tell.

I think my brown, with reddish hints in it, is just perfect for my skin tone and a perfectly lovely color.

freesia
October 31st, 2013, 11:33 AM
I like my natural hair color (blondish brown, with orange hints under direct sunlight). In summer it gets blond highlights.
For some reason my friends' first impression sometimes is that my natural color is a dye.

I would not prefer a different color. If I did, my choice would probably be henna (being curious how that would turn out, however I won't try, fearing I might regret it)

Never have I colored my hair.

bananahanna
October 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM
I think I like my natural color. it's not significantly darker than my bleached parts it's just more ash toned which I prefer anyway. It's darker and that is what I want since I'm getting older and the light blonde looks very young/high school on me. My natural color has a lot of diversity of colors, black, brown, white-blonde, dark blonde. I can't wait to see how it looks totally natural.

Eichan
October 31st, 2013, 04:36 PM
I love my hair color. I used to think it was too dark (I was born platinum, grew into dark blonde. It looks medium/light in light though). But then, when I went to public school, everyone asked me where I got my hair dyed. Who dyed it. With what? so I decided that my hair was special and could NEVER be dyed.

LOL.

I need to put a pic up on here in my sig or such for my hair. But I'm vain and only have face shots. OH WELL.

lapushka
October 31st, 2013, 04:52 PM

Yep, I do. Now I do. I didn't about twenty years ago, though.

Nope.

Yes. It's been red, blonde, brown, and black. All other natural colors except dark ash blonde (my color).

Any good/bad experiences

Terrible experiences with bleach and dye, that I best maybe not go into (chemical burns, cuts, etc.)

me_random
October 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM
I both like & don't like my color, it's sort of a multicolored brown in the sunlight, which i like, and there's some silvers in there too (about 6, but they've been there for many years, at least since I got my hair long enough to notice 'em) but in pictures it just looks sort of greyish-brown-weird
:( sort of like a bad wig... eegh...

Lady of Autumn
October 31st, 2013, 05:17 PM
I never used too, but now I realize its the color that best suits me (Dark ashy brunette).
Nope
Yep every color in the natural hair color rainbow, and all chemical

Jennah
October 31st, 2013, 10:42 PM

Yes! Itīs the one that goes best with the colour of my skin and eyes.

I did at different points.

Iīve tried different shades of highlights, which made it kind of red, and dying it jet black.

askan
October 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM
It's okay! It's blondish, I like when I get natural highlights in the summer. Haven't had my natural colour for the last summers though.

I wouldn't say no have been born a redhead..

Yes, I used to bleach it, then I dyed it coppery, then darker red, then bleached the absolute life out of if, then back to copper. Now i'm growing out my natural colour since 7 months and I'm curious to see what it will look like when it gets longer.

Bethany873
November 4th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Yes, it's golden blonde with natural dark honey blonde and white blonde streaks in it.

Nope under no circumstances :) I was born a blonde and I will die one too!

Up to this point I've never colored my hair in any way. The women in my family tend to go from blonde to white as they age, I'm hoping for the same. People do ask me on a regular basis (or assume, and eventually mention it) if I highlight my hair, which I take as a compliment. It gets very light streaks in it when I'm outside a lot, and I love the variation in it :)

long&blonde
November 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Do I like my natural hair color? My natural color has now become snow white, I'm dying it dark blonde.

Would I prefer it a different color? It started out dark blonde natural color. Those decades I dyed it snow white.

livelycurls
November 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Do you like your natural hair color?
Yes

Would you prefer a different color?
Maybe red or lighter shade of brown

Yes highlights and henna

Any good/bad experiences
henna loosen my curl pattern :-( but im growing again

vanillabones
November 7th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I think my natural color is all right. I used to have highlights when I was younger then dark brown then white blonde. I would obviously prefer a different natural color but I am way too lazy and I loveeee the low maintenance of natural hair and being able to say it's virgin :D

Pamala513
November 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I like natural hair color. Dark brown with red highlights ever since I was a young girl. I do an organic hair coloring to cover up the grey roots. My hairdresser is able to customize her coloring to match exactly.

Kelikea
November 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I like my natural color. Here is a picture of it in the sunlight: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YvsV8IL8xb0/Una0VGYuDbI/AAAAAAAABV4/cXs3Xl6q2JA/s512/11.03.13c.JPG Here's another (not in sunlight) from last winter: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZfZKWjsz_Ps/UMz69jBo4PI/AAAAAAAAAtk/aHk10Ayad24/s512/12.15.12c.JPG
I have colored before, mostly with semi-permanent color, and have also had highlights. I found the highlights to be damaging and I don't like having to touch them up. I colored once with a permanent box dye, a sort of medium reddish-brown, and it really dried my hair and gave me split ends. I also didn't like how one-dimensional the color was. I've had the best luck with the 28 day wash-out box colors. Here is a picture of my hair colored with Garnier HerbaShine (I think it was 645 Copper Mahogany Brown): https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8_DtUEEOQQo/UnxAi2gTD4I/AAAAAAAABWI/13mSkEgWEIo/s512/1.12.12.JPG It didn't damage my hair, but it also didn't last long.

Scelesta
November 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I LOVED the hair color I had when I was 8 it as a beautiful white blond, even the golden blonde it turned to when I got older was nice, Now i'm a dark blonde(According to my roots, i've never seen it grown out past a pixie as natural) SO i'm not yet sure if I'll like it I really hope I do!

battles
November 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, I do. :) I have that ash blonette color everyone seems to dislike. I think it's pretty, and you can't get it in a box. :shrug: Plus, it glows in the sun.
A slightly more silvery blonde, like when I was younger. I would not use bleach, though.
Veggie dyes and henna.
Any good/bad experiences
Veggie dyes were fine, but I hate henna with all of my being.

Foxylocks
November 8th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I like my natural color - a pale blonde with a silver-like, ethereal sheen. I have never, ever seen anyone else with a color quite like mine. I don't really want to have another hair color, but I do like all hair colors that it is possible for someone to be born with. I am currently growing out henna. No bad experiences.

Phlegmatic
November 9th, 2013, 02:35 AM
While I have dreamed of golden hair, hair kissed by fire, and chocolatey hair, I do really love my hair color. It's not inky black and contains some level of brown in it. It's slightly unique, as far as Vietnamese women go (hair is typically black as black gets), which makes me feel a bit special.

JessicaAnn
November 9th, 2013, 06:22 AM
For the most part. It is really dark right now because I just had a major chop and lost a lot of the natural hi-lites from wearing down all summer. It's a dark brown/red right now, but when it was the longer length it kind of moused out to a dark copper brown color with pale blonde hi-lites, which I actually really loved.
I miss the color from my long hair, but it should be pretty much back by the end of next summer. I'm trying my best to enjoy the darker color right now, as I know when I grow my hair back longer I'm going to wish I could dye it close to this color without messing up the natural color.
I've done everything from box dye, to bleaching it in the dorm bathroom, and having it professionally done at the salon. It has been nearly three years since I've done anything and I love how my color ended up without any intervention from me.
Bleaching the whole mess of hair in the dorms gifted me with orange hair (guess I had more red in my hair than I thought) and the professional hi-lites gave me dry and tangle prone hair for a while. I like the way the hi-lites look, but I don't know that I'll be doing that again any time soon.

Of the Fae
November 9th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Mwoah I'm not so sure if I like it.
It's blonde, but a bit grey. I always find it very pretty on others though! But when I wear it, somehow not so much!
I like my henna better, it is vivid.

curiouslight
November 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
It's alright. If I take a picture of it with the flash on it looks really beautiful and you can see red tones in it from dyeing it in the past, but it's actually a dark ash brown with silver and gold highlights. That sounds nice but I don't think it works with the rest of my coloring all that well. I would love naturally deep auburn hair so much!

Sillage
November 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
NO. My hair is an odd blend of pure, glistening white and dark brown. If it were one or the other I'd be happy but I don't like the mixture of the two.

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 02:04 AM
when i was a little girl watching my mom dye her hair repeatedly I used to think "I don't understand why she does that, my mousy brown is juuuust perfect"

I think I would like my natural hair color a lot more if the sun didn't bleach my ends so much making it an all around scraggly brown/light brown mess..

r00ski
November 10th, 2013, 02:05 AM
And with that said I'm now a serial henndigo head. :o

Colourful
November 10th, 2013, 03:17 AM
I am in a pretty okay-dokay relationship with my natural haircolour, though I know that darker hair makes me look prettier if I may say so. Also, darker hair makes me look older while my natural color makes me look younger.

martyna_22
November 10th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I used to be in two minds about my color. But it's been growing on me! It's blondette. Back when I hadn't discovered the shampoo I use now, my hair didn't have much shine and it was rather mousy and shineless. Now, that I use my personal miracle, it is so shiny, even though the weather is horrible and I cannot show it off properly :) With flash camera it looks almost yellow, while in the sunlight quite blonde, and sometimes even reddish. I've been experimenting with honey just a little and I love it. That's the best aspect of my hair - it has so many reflexes. I don't think I'll start coloring until I have greys. :)

TimeForMe
November 10th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I like my natural color if and ONLY if I can get lots of sun. It's that dark ashy color that easily explodes with natural highlights so long as live on the beach or in the pool a lot. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed several years ago with systemic lupus, which nixes tons of sun exposure for me anymore. So now I have to choose either bottled foil streaks, or let it go bland. Tough choice.

heatherlynnc
November 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Henna is fabulous. It gives me fade-proof red. I don't care what shade of red it is, as long as it's red, and I love that it's rock-solid permanent. Once it's in, it isn't going anywhere.

This is exactly my thought as well!

I've been dying my hair since I was about 12. Blonde, black, and then red, red, red, and sometimes purple! I started using henna in August and I can't tell you how happy I am when I get out in the sun and see the red just shining!

It's not that I don't like my natural color, it's more that I'm not entirely sure what it is. (Not really, I know it's a medium lightish brown which is perfectly fine, I just like red better)

Skade
November 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
No. I have tried to grow it out for a while now and embrace my natural color... But no, I just donīt like it, so I think I will color it soon.

TrapperCreekD
November 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Can't remember if I answered this already or not. :)

Do you like your natural hair colour? I do; I love it, actually. It's dark brown - Chocolately? - with natural auburn and blonde highlights.
Would you prefer a different colour? Not really, but I have wondered how a more auburn shade would look on me.
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical? Nope! I have considered doing some honey or lemon highlights but haven't done it yet.
Any good/bad experiences N/A?

Katrina
November 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM

Yes. I think it's pretty enough :)

Not really. I tried many colors in the past and this suits me best.

Yes. I started coloring my hair at the age of 15 and stopped at the age of 32. I used mostly chemical box dyes, but tried also henndigo.

Jennielee88
November 10th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Not particularly, as a child I was bright ginger but as I got older its more medium brown but with subtle coppery tones. I inherited my dad's hair colour!

I would prefer to be naturally lighter

Last year I went blonde, I get my roots done by a hair dresser after I started doing it myself and causing a little damage by accidentally overlapping over the months. I use a high lift tint and then a toner afterwards as a natural redhead my hair goes bright yellow when its bleached!

blue_eyes
November 10th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Not particularly...it was light blonde when I was little and turned into a darker blonde that I detested. It had a lot of red & golden tones. It's hard to remember now though because I haven't seen it in 10 years.

YES! I want to be a light blonde like when I was younger.

Yup, for the past 10 years I've either had dark brown/black or dark red hair. At 14 I dyed my hair dark red, and when I got sick of it (because it faded to orange so quickly and I got tired of colouring all the time) I dyed it dark brown (nearly black) and have been doing that ever since, despite attempts to go blonde.

Any good/bad experiences

I have a horror story! For the majority of the 10 years of colouring my hair was fine, except for the ends starting to look pretty dead. I had to cut my waist length hair to BSL. This past summer I attempted to go blonde (for the 3rd time). The hairdresser bleached my hair to a yellow/brown/orange mess and then chunks of it began breaking. I've got large areas of hair that broke in half and are only shoulder length. She ended up cutting the rest of my hair to APL just to make the short sections less noticeable. I had some sections that were only 2 inches long! It was so horrifying that I've sworn off dye and am letting my natural hair grow out. Once it's all back I may go blonder, but perhaps I will like my natural colour after all! :P

SouthernSweetie
November 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I do like my natural hair color, and it's been a while since I've seen it.

If it was naturally a little lighter that would be great, but I'd give anything to go back to my natural right now. :(

Yes I have, and still do, sadly enough. I get it dyed with demi-permanent hair color at a salon.

Jennielee88
November 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Any good/bad experiences

I have a horror story! For the majority of the 10 years of colouring my hair was fine, except for the ends starting to look pretty dead. I had to cut my waist length hair to BSL. This past summer I attempted to go blonde (for the 3rd time). The hairdresser bleached my hair to a yellow/brown/orange mess and then chunks of it began breaking. I've got large areas of hair that broke in half and are only shoulder length. She ended up cutting the rest of my hair to APL just to make the short sections less noticeable. I had some sections that were only 2 inches long! It was so horrifying that I've sworn off dye and am letting my natural hair grow out. Once it's all back I may go blonder, but perhaps I will like my natural colour after all! :P

God I know how this feels. Im at waist length and I have sections around the right side of my head that are only a couple of inches long from when I used to do my own roots and accidentally overlapped. And I have quite a lot along the centre that are so short they just stick up!

blue_eyes
November 11th, 2013, 07:09 PM
God I know how this feels. Im at waist length and I have sections around the right side of my head that are only a couple of inches long from when I used to do my own roots and accidentally overlapped. And I have quite a lot along the centre that are so short they just stick up!

Oh gosh, I'm sorry you're going through the same thing! I hate it. I don't think any two chunks of hair are the same length. My right side is particularly bad too, the majority of the hair is maybe only about 4 inches long there. It I wasn't trying to maintain the "look" of long hair I'd just chop it to shoulder length & try to grow from there :(

UP Lisa
November 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Yes. I do like my natural color. I always wondered how I would look with Red, so I tried it, loved it, and am going back to natural.

alexis917
November 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, ....but I don't love it.

Yes- it's dyed blue-black right now, and I prefer it much more. My natural hair is a medium/deep brown.

A TON! That part has since been cut off. Said part had been platinum blonde, red, brown, and black all within a year or two.
My "new" hair is midback now. It has been dyed with Manic Panic (no lightening) and two days ago with just a box dye, ammonia free.

Any good/bad experiences
Very light hair looked awkward on me.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 12th, 2013, 03:56 PM

I used to hate it, now I like it. It's a dark auburn

I've dyed my hair different colours, kinda over dying. I'm currently growing out my natural colour!

Many times, with box dyes! Thankfully it seems to be quite resilient

Jolly-Good-Show
November 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Any good/bad experiences
Very light hair looked awkward on me.

I'm the same! I bleached mine to a golden blonde. It's still in good shape, but the blonde washes me out! My dark roots are about 2 inches long now, which makes me look better! I hope it looks like an ombre thing by the time it's armpit length.... if not i'll put some dye through it to make the transition from dark to light less harsh...

HappyFoo
November 12th, 2013, 04:42 PM
My hair color is naturally medium brown, and it's ok, I guess. However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE dark hair. The darker, the better in my opinion. Soon I want to try black walnut natural hair dye. :)

LadyWhin
November 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I love my natural hair colour, would never change it :) It's dark brown with strands of copper in the sun. I tried to dye it black temporarily once, but the dye just washed out and it turned a weird dull blackish brown for a few weeks instead. Never again.

tommyboy
March 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah I am ok with it, its kind of a blonde/dirty blonde color depending on the light and how much time I am out in the sun.

Jessleigh
March 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
I love my natural color. It's a very dark brown with gold and red tints.

Larki
March 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
Yes. I prefer the color it was before puberty, it was platinum blonde, but puberty has made it steadily darken. :( It's alright though.
I prefer platinum, but that's nearly impossible to have naturally as an adult, so that's cool. I'll live.
No.
Any good/bad experiences
None.

cdonald2
March 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
I have dyed my hair alot in the past, I have really grown to love my dark ash brown color :)

Kome
March 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
I like my natural hair color. It's a chocolate brown. I prefer it henna'd over that to make an auburn. That is my favorite hair color. However, right now my hair is GREEN! I like to do different colors. I regret how damaged it is though. It was really hard to get the henna out to do the green. I've done every color of the rainbow at this point. :)

LongHairLesbian
March 2nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
I like my hair colour well enough. It's a golden-lightish blonde on top, with dark blonde/really light brown underneath. I like my colour enough to not be tempted to dye it, but I'm not so attached that I would be sad if it darkened as I get older. My colour has been roughly the same since puberty (which I'm well past) but seems likely to darken when I have children, or when I age out of my 20's. I wouldn't mind if it all turned the shade of my current darkest colour, which is dark blonde/light brown. Might make me look less pale, and match my eyebrows better, which are brownish-blonde.

Snidget
March 2nd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Do you like your natural hair colour? I like it, but I don't LOVE it. It's like this dark blonde colour with the slightest tint of red. People like to tell me what colour it is, which can be annoying. People sometimes refuse to accept it as blond- it definitely is, because if it gets even a little bit greasy it gets way darker, which is a blonde thing apparently. However I do love that it naturally highlights. I've got ombre going on right now, and part of it is from old highlights, but the sun is definitely a contributing factor.
Would you prefer a different colour? I''d love to have hair that naturally grows pink! If we're going for natural colours I definitely envy blondes with really light hair on top and dark on the bottom, because braids look amazing on them! However I've accepted that I can't control my hair colour so I just try to focus on the positives and learning to love it.
Have you coloured your hair before? how -natural/chemical . Yep, chemically, I've had highlights put in, and my mum and I have packet dyed it twice.
Any good/bad experiences? When I was younger my mum and I tried dying my hair blonder with packet dyes, but what we didn't know was that if you try to dye hair blonde and it has even the slightest bit of red in it, that red will be brought out! I ended up with slightly reddish hair, which I actually like, but I didn't enjoy the comments I got on it... people are weird about red hair.

Jumper
March 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM
I love mine. It's a medium brown with natural darkish blond highlights in the front. I'm pretty sure they're natural and not sun lightened because the color does go all the way to the roots.

I did dye my hair a great auburn color once, and everyone loved it, except my mother (I was in high school) so she dyed it back closer to my natural color.

I've thought about trying to find that color again but now I'm too obsessed with damage and growing it longer to dye it probably ever again.

Weewah
March 3rd, 2014, 12:30 AM
I like myself better as a lighter blonde, but I'm tired of the damage so I'm gonna have to get used to my blonette.