PDA

View Full Version : Fiat commercial

Adelynd
August 12th, 2013, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KFMD5xZVE

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this commercial and, like me, thought that the blonde girl cutting her hair off towards the end was rather odd. Obviously they are emphasizing the sex appeal of hair, but I just thought it was interesting that the girl with the longest hair quickly chopped it off to look more attractive. This commercial is also amusing and disturbing for many non-hair related reasons, but I don't have to time to discuss them because a Fiat just drove by so I have to disrobe and run after it... :p

CaranDulin
August 12th, 2013, 09:54 PM
That was exceedingly odd... Wonder what crazy person in marketing got that idea. xD

massivecnqstdr
August 12th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I also thought it was strange, but certainly not offensive. There are all kinds of media messages implying the opposite about hair length.

DancingGirl
August 12th, 2013, 10:04 PM
This commercial is also amusing and disturbing for many non-hair related reasons, but I don't have to time to discuss them because a Fiat just drove by so I have to disrobe and run after it... :p[/QUOTE]

Haha :rollin:

Leeloo
August 12th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I thought it was odd also. The whole commercial is odd.

jacqueline101
August 13th, 2013, 02:16 AM
That's strange.

faellen
August 13th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I don't think she was chopping her hair off to be "more attractive", I think the point is that a new revolution was starting, out with the old long hair and in with the new short hair. Bit of a silly advert though. :p

Ticky
August 13th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I haven't seen it before. It sure is... Interesting :D

I wish I looked that good with short hair, though.

Also, I agree with faellen.

Carolyn
August 13th, 2013, 05:51 AM
That commercial certainly would not make me want to go out and buy a Fiat. Actually if I was in the market for a small foreign car, it would make me consider anything but a Fiat. And I thought the blonde girl's short cut was really ugly and unflattering.

PetuniaBlossom
August 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Funny commercial. I liked at the end when the guy closes up his telescope.
I guess the commercial was about how Italians are perceived as having more s*x appeal than English.
I imagine this advert wasn't too popular in England.

shutterpillar
August 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Not offensive to me in the slightest bit, but extremely confusing. LOL.

We have a Fiat and it's a cute little car. :) My husband uses it to go back and forth to work. It's definitely not our family car, though. We have a Chevy HHR for that - it has a hatchback so the dog can ride along, too. ;)

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I laughed out loud at that commercial. I loved it, though it does nothing to convince me to buy a Fiat. :lol:

I don't find it offensive. Of course, I am notoriously hard to offend.

erinlesley09
August 13th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I thought it was odd also. The whole commercial is odd.

I agree. :confused:

Macaroni
August 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I thought it was hysterical!

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I have literally no idea what was going on just now.

Red coats? Red cars? Short hair is... modern? British invasion? Anti-British invasion?

WHAT?!

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I don't think she was chopping her hair off to be "more attractive", I think the point is that a new revolution was starting, out with the old long hair and in with the new short hair. Bit of a silly advert though. :p

Ah hah, you've deciphered it, Faellen!:cheer: Out with the old and in with the new. I'm afraid I couldn't get beyond the superficial "guys with fast cars get hot girls" message. I'm not offended by the ad because it's so over the top that it's hard not to either laugh or just stare at in bewilderment, but it does make me wonder what their agenda is since it could be interpreted as demeaning to women and it seems odd that such a big brand would not care more about offending half of their client base. Seems more like an Axe commercial than a car ad. Oh well, what do I know? Memorability= marketing success. :D

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
That commercial certainly would not make me want to go out and buy a Fiat. Actually if I was in the market for a small foreign car, it would make me consider anything but a Fiat. And I thought the blonde girl's short cut was really ugly and unflattering.

I agree, I think it was unflattering too. There are many cute, short haircuts, but I didn't find this to be one of them. But if the premise is "out with the old and in with the new" then maybe it's just the change they're emphasizing? However, I still think they are emphasizing sex appeal so it should have been a flattering cut... so now I'm back to being confused. I think I'll just stay that way and consider the ad just plain odd, which is right where I started, and leave it at that. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I enjoyed reading them. :)

Unofficial_Rose
August 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
It's implying that the Italians are sexy, but Fiats aren't exactly sexy cars! (apologies to Fiat owners). Alpha Romeos, Ferraris, might bbe more convincing - but less humorous. :D

faellen
August 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM

I don't think it's been shown over here, but we're not really the sort to get touchy over stereotypes :p

Vrindi
August 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM

I thought that cut looked awesome on her.

I thought it was a silly, amusing commercial. I had no problems with it. I'm not one for a Fiat though. It looks like the boring offspring of a Mini and a Smart car. I'd much rather have a Mini.

neko_kawaii
August 13th, 2013, 01:14 PM
"Guys with sexy cars get girls" is such a boring marketing gimmick they have to dress it up a bit to get our attention. An entertaining one as far as adverts go.

alexis917
August 13th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I just thought she had cut her hair to look more "modern."

Skade
August 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Not offended. I liked it :D Thought it was funny. Definitely more amusing than a lot of other commercials.

lapushka
August 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
You know the song in the background just pauses at the words "revolution" when she takes off her cap and reveals her hair. I think that's in part the message. A whole new world. Out with the past (literally), in with the new.

Stupid bloody commercial, whoever thought it up!

chen bao jun
August 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Commercials are all stupid.
This one is aimed at guys, I'm sure, with all the stripping going on.
the hair cutting seemed just kind of random. Yeah, I think the idea was the common one, that long hair is old-fashioned and short is up to date and modern or whatever, but it was just random in the middle of the commercial.
I'm not in a rush to go buy a Fiat now, oddly enough.

leslissocool
August 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM
It's implying that the Italians are sexy, but Fiats aren't exactly sexy cars! (apologies to Fiat owners). Alpha Romeos, Ferraris, might bbe more convincing - but less humorous. :D

Fiat has been a joke in Italy for over 15 years. I mean, I remember in elementary school how many jokes they had about it, how they were always breaking down ect ect.

Ferrari does NOT need any advertising, no gimmicks nor jokes, same as Ducati. The races speak for the product, I think every kid in my block wanted to grow up to be Schumacher :lol:.

I actually think fiat commercials are funny, compared to the others (except for that incognito mitsubishi parking commercial, that one was great). The Italian family one is hilarious, it's been passed around on my facebook by my friends and family, because it's so true in our case :lol:.

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Please share that link, leslissocool! I don't think I've seen that ad.

leslissocool
August 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoOH0p_MfA)is the only part I could find, it's from a commercial I saw a long time ago. Not going to lie, that looks totally awesome. I'd buy a car just to park that way, no cops chasing needed.

I do think modern car commercials are so photoshopped and over dramatic, I like seeing them pull stunts like the older ones :lol:.

The fiat one, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fBFm4OD2W0) one I really liked.

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Haha. That is cool! I don't think I've seen that one. Thanks for sharing!

leslissocool
August 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm guilty of the coffee thing :couch:. Ok and the soccer thing, and a couple of more. My friend just married a guy from milan, and got engulfed with a family, like, that's never been in another country before. It was so priceless, totally made me miss Italy.

YamaMaya
August 13th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I guess the commercial was about how Italians are perceived as having more s*x appeal than English.

I haven't seen it here in England, then again, I don't watch a whole lot of tv :p

neko_kawaii
August 13th, 2013, 02:15 PM
That fiat family one was hilarious!

Adelynd
August 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I loved when he got out of the car to blast his horn. At least it wasn't a vuvuzela. Haha. Very funny ad.

arelrios
August 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I thought that cut looked awesome on her.

I thought it was a silly, amusing commercial. I had no problems with it. I'm not one for a Fiat though. It looks like the boring offspring of a Mini and a Smart car. I'd much rather have a Mini.

I have never paid attention to car commercials... lol... I find them all uninteresting and too pushy to get you to buy the next "awesome driving machine"... I have a mini (second one in a row) ... If I have seen 3 different mini commercials, is too much... (can you tell i love minis?) lol...

Now, regarding the original topic and the girl chopping her hair... either I am not so into hair or I am too blind, but if OP doesn't mention it, I am sure I wouldn't have noticed lol...

arelrios
August 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoOH0p_MfA)is the only part I could find, it's from a commercial I saw a long time ago. Not going to lie, that looks totally awesome. I'd buy a car just to park that way, no cops chasing needed.

I do think modern car commercials are so photoshopped and over dramatic, I like seeing them pull stunts like the older ones :lol:.

The fiat one, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fBFm4OD2W0) one I really liked.

When I grow up, I want to learn how to park like that lol...

I loved the Italian family commercial .... way to hilarious...

MsBubbles
August 13th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Well no, because this ad was made for US audiences and has no reason to be shown in the UK. US Revolutionary war jokes are really only good for here in the US. I'm dual (UK/US) and found the ad mildly humorous. I thought the girl looked good with short hair too.

Vrindi
August 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Awesome! haha! I'm guilty of the coffee thing too, but I blame it on being half-raised by Cubans :P

PraiseCheeses
August 13th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I'm most offended that the blonde woman was somehow able to perform that precision cut on herself, with no mirror and with only a few swipes of the scissors. :lol: Lies, all lies!