PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Bristle Brush - Okay for Gentle Hair Care?

Peggy E.
August 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I have an Earth Therapeutics wooden brush with wood bristles that do not have the "knobs" on the tips to catch and tear the hair. I'm wondering if this is better for the hair and scalp, more gentle for thin and hair damaged due to illness?

I've also got a soft natural bristle Kent brush, but it sort of feels like it is useless and doesn't even get through the hair, even as thin as it now is.

Anyway, wondering if there are any thoughts on the subject?

ositarosita
August 12th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure but I will be following this thread as that's the only brush I use.

Luminaria
August 12th, 2013, 11:53 PM
I have one too. I'm not sure if it's okay for curly hair, so I haven't used it yet. The brush seems gentle enough to use on your hair. Since the bristles are smooth and there are no knobs, I don't think it wouldn't cause damage (unless you yank it through tangles, brush roughly, etc.).

chevelure
August 13th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I have an Earth Therapeutics wooden bristle brush too, and I think it's great for gentle brushing and scalp massage. I like to lightly oil the bristles to keep them in good shape. I think the brush does a great job of distributing oil down the hair, too.

It should work well for all thicknesses. I can only speak for thick hair, but I think it does a much better job of distributing oils than a BBB because it can get through to the scalp.

Firefox7275
August 13th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I have an Earth Therapeutics wooden brush with wood bristles that do not have the "knobs" on the tips to catch and tear the hair. I'm wondering if this is better for the hair and scalp, more gentle for thin and hair damaged due to illness?

I've also got a soft natural bristle Kent brush, but it sort of feels like it is useless and doesn't even get through the hair, even as thin as it now is.

Anyway, wondering if there are any thoughts on the subject?

Maybe detangle your hair in smaller sections if you are not getting to the underlayers and having to go over and over the canopy? All brushing and combing is damaging unfortunately because it can dislodge cuticles and over stretch the hair and remove the protective fatty f-layer, depending how and when you do (wet/ dry/ conditioned etc) the number of strokes you use is relevant. There is a series of studies on this "hair breakage during combing" on the Journal of Cosmetic Science website if you want to geek out.

Scalp does not need to be brushed at all any more than the rest of your skin needs to be brushed. I've never seen any published research than natural bristles are better for hair than artificial ones, since a hair rubbing on an adjacent hair or on itself is proven to cause damage it makes sense that natural bristle brushes also can, regardless of brand or quality. The ideal is simply to brush or comb as little as possible, obviously detangling is essential but much of this can be done with fingers.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I LOVE THAT BRUSH!!!! I don't use it as much as I should. I use it after detangling with my TT.

Peggy E.
August 13th, 2013, 06:19 PM
What I'm really turning to the wood bristle brush for now is the NW/SO I'm doing. Therefore I really do need to move the debris on my scalp and get the oils spread throughout the length of my hair.

And, oh, doesn't that wood bristle brush feel wonderful on the scalp! Because I'm having so much trouble with my hands, doing a scritch or massage, so necessary for the success of this hair-care method, has me looking at that brush as the saving grace for me.

Really think the BBB is not going to help me out here, though. Even with how thin my hair has gotten, that brush just has never really worked for me.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM
My hair doesn't like BBB either.

Seriously, you're going to be hard pressed to find a gentler brush than that one. If you are planning to brush, you can't beat that one (unless you want to go the TT route, but a paddle brush just feels so good in your hands!!!!) so use it with joy! :agree:

ositarosita
August 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
It feels AMAZING and it's a great way to trick the SO into giving a scalp massage while just brushing.

Peggy E.
August 14th, 2013, 12:00 PM
So glad to read this support for the wood bristle brush. I've noticed, using the Tangle Teaser to make sure the hair is smooth, then using my wood bristled brush, there's no hair at all in the wood bristle. And I LOVE this!

All this time with hair coming out like crazy, I now feel a bit of hope in this care routine.

Leeloo
August 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I like mine. It’s not as gentle as a comb, but it would be great spread the oils on the hair.