PDA

View Full Version : is this a good time to say goodbye to shampoo

hannabiss
August 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM
So since I have about a quarter inch of hair is this a good time to Ditch shampoo forever? Any recommendation

Leeloo
August 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I was thinking that shampoo is very important to your scalp, so maybe some switch period would be more gentle. That does sound like a good idea, so you can “train” your hair.

AmyBeth
August 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I have more than 1/4" of hair, and I tried for about 6 months to do CO washing. At first I liked it, then I started using henndigo, and it changed my hair texture so much that I really need to use shampoo. If your hair is so short, it is as good a time as any to experiment with CO, stretching washes, maybe even water only. I just can't wrap my head around that idea, but lots of people like it.

nobeltonya
August 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I am passing Classic, and I still (have to) wash every day.. my scalp just does not like stretching washes, CO, WO... but to compensate, I generally regularly oil at night with coconut oil and use lots of conditioner and a leave-in. Lately, I've been using a lower sulphate shampoo so I'm not oiling while it's hot. But once it starts getting cooler, I'll be switching back to regular shampoo and oiling about every other night. While the sebum that your scalp produces is nutritious for your hair, I've also heard that it can cause hair loss.. plus, my scalp is a flaky, gross mess if I don't wash.. and my hair also likes to be washed daily. But it's also coarse and use conditioner and oil to.combat any dryness that might result. Everyone's hair is different. You have to.experiment and see what works for you. :) :disco:

turquoisedays
August 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I didn't start CO washing / no shampoo until I reached hip length, and there was a few week adjustment period. I had used sulfate free shampoo for a couple years prior, though. I didn't use the baking soda/ACV rinse in place of shampoo like some people do during transition (I actually heard that's harmful as well done multiple times). I think CO washing works well as long as your conditioner is silicone free. If your conditioner isn't silicone free, you'll have to look into other ways to remove that cone buildup (like ACV rinses). I think it's worth trying though.

WilfredAllen
August 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM
try it, if it doesnt work, try diluting it. If that doesn't work try SLS free or diluted SLS free. If that doesn't work, try something else, lol. And if nothng works go back to the old routine :P
Please update coz I wanna see what happens (:

pensandpaint
August 12th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Ooh yes, please let us know what happens! I agree, when your hair is short is a good time to experiment with stuff. Short hair seems to do better also on no washing, so maybe that would even help with the transition?

starlamelissa
August 13th, 2013, 06:44 AM
No way! Shampoo forever!!! But if you wanna play around with the other wash methods, I don't think it will hurt anything.

meteor
August 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. Shampoo is for your scalp, not only your hair. Having shorter hair gives you a chance to shampoo more often without hurting the hair much. The sebum from your scalp gets enough time to cover and protect your hair if you wash daily. At greater lengths, your ends might dry out if you shampoo too often, as sebum may not get a chance to reach the ends.
The shorter my hair is, the more I shampoo. Stretching washes works better and better at greater lengths for me. I can even go 10 - 14 days without shampoo now, but I would certainly shampoo at least a couple times a week if my hair was short.

You can experiment with alternative cleansing methods, but I wouldn't recommend throwing away shampoos.

hannabiss
August 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Well I only shampooed my hair every 3 days any ways I may stick with that.

spidermom
August 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
If you're interested in this kind of thing, then sure. No time like the present. At least you can get a very good view of what this does to your scalp.