PDA

View Full Version : promoting natural ringlets /waves and 2 yr progress

sazzie88
August 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
It has been a long time since I have posted and in almost two years I have gone from a bob in my profile picture to solid bsl!! Im so pleased your tips and advice have got me to where I am today.

I have for many years straightened my hsir. Since putting down the heat and going natural I have gradually got my curly wurlys back around my face framing layers and above ears.

Can you suggest anyway to promote my natuural wave back? I hsve tried plopping with no joy :-(

Thanks $ x

Hootenanny
August 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Moisture, moisture, moisture, plus regular protein treatments helped maximize curl for me, and also really help with my flat-ironing damage. You might want to consider CO washing, or at the very least, sulfate-free shampoos (if you don't do this already). CO washing is especially popular among quite a few curlies and wavies, as it cuts down on frizz and enhances curl. Also, using a leave-in conditioner (silicone-free in my case) helps keep the ringlets hydrated and in good formation throughout the day. Also, using some (again silicone-free, for me at least) gel can help enhance your wurls. Scrunch it into wet hair and then let air-dry without touching, then, when completely dry, scrunch and lightly shake your hair to get rid of the gel "crunch" and add volume.

Basically, what I have outlined here is the CG (Curly Girl) Method; try googling that for more info! :)

Leeloo
August 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Have you tried co washing! It suppose to help bring out the curls. Conrats on your 2 year progress!

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 03:15 PM
How long have you been heat free and how many times have you tried plopping?

- full Curly Girl method, especially styling from dripping wet and scrunching all your products in. Don't overdry with the plopping
- choose your products based on your hair properties (hydrolysed protein and/ or coconut oil for colour damaged/ heat damaged hair)
- patience, you don't say how many times you have plopped but curls don't always recover for weeks or months depending how bad the damage is.

sazzie88
August 12th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Thank you fo all of your replies. I used to co wsash but stopped after 6 months due to my hsir getting very greasy. I did try clarifying and protien but my hair was in an anful gummy state. I might retry co washing as I havent done it for a while.

Firefox the way I did plopping was to wash hair as usual and then plop into dbfs t shirt ( im sure he would be very pleased) :-) and then sleep with it all night. (Mayb that was the error) when I took it off it would be a limp greasy mess . Any suggestions on other ways of doing it?

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Thank you fo all of your replies. I used to co wsash but stopped after 6 months due to my hsir getting very greasy. I did try clarifying and protien but my hair was in an anful gummy state. I might retry co washing as I havent done it for a while.

Firefox the way I did plopping was to wash hair as usual and then plop into dbfs t shirt ( im sure he would be very pleased) :-) and then sleep with it all night. (Mayb that was the error) when I took it off it would be a limp greasy mess . Any suggestions on other ways of doing it?

What products were/ are you using that both of these made your hair greasy? Were/ are you avoiding all ingredients that can build up - many silicones, butters, waxes including cetyl esters, certain polyquats, mineral oil/ petrolatum? Ar you aware you don't have to co-wash to follow the Curly Girl book? Super gentle sulphate free shampoo is also permitted.

There are some great tutorials on successful co-washing and plopping on YouTube, most of us wavies and curlies only plop for a short period - I have porous colour treated hair and am currently doing about 10 minutes with a flour sack towel - and then air dry the rest or diffuse part way, I suspect overnight plops best suit those with a lot of natural volume and a strong curl pattern. Curly Girl method has you root clipping for root volume when air drying or diffusing.

purrmonsterr
August 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM
My hairdresser showed me how to finger twirl my hair to bring out natural curls/waves. When it's still wet and after you've put in your products, grab a small section and start twirling it around your finger in the direction you want the curl to go. After you release, kind of bounce the curl up and down if that makes sense. Do this all over but focus on the front and don't make them all go the same direction for a more natural look. It works wonders for me!

darkrose
August 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hi.
I'm basically doing what you're doing. What I found works is to let your hair dry naturally. I also find using I little bit of a curl product works to hold the curl. Also, try bending forward and let the curls fall upside down. Put a bit of product in your hand and grab a section of your hair and scrunch it toward your scalp. I found this promoted curls.
I'd also recommend using a sulphate free shampoo such as the ever curl loreal range, or using the curly girl method ( CO washing)
Hope this helps :) x