PDA

View Full Version : Trimming hair while growing out a pixie

Luminaria
August 12th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I got a pixie cut in March and haven't cut my hair since then. Currently, my hair has many knot-ends (fairy knots at the ends of my strands) and is in need of a trim. My hair is around neck length(?) and I want to grow my hair out of the short layers. How should I trim it? Should I S&D until the layers are longer? Is there an easy method to trim layers?

Rebecka
August 12th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Not that I've ever had a pixie, but it must be impossible to s&d? Or does your hair grow very fast maybe? But if you can, it's a great way of getting rid of damage while keeping length :D

Haybop
August 12th, 2013, 01:03 AM
What I did was probably not the best way of going about it but I just grew mine out until the majority of layers were short bob length or longer then got it cut into a short bob to make the growth as even as possible and get rid of the horrendous mullet that had made an appearance! I wasn't overly aware of what the ends of my hairs were like at the time as I had next to no hair care knowledge about this sort fo stuff, sorry.

MunaZaldrizoti
August 12th, 2013, 01:08 AM
I got my hair buzzed in March this year. I got a trim a couple of weeks ago to get rid of the mullet that was starting to appear and to even up the length a bit. I plan to trim as it grows out to try and get the length even.

Mesmerise
August 12th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I had a pixie cut about a month ago (to get rid of dye and go natural) with the goal of basically growing straight out again! I'm planning on trimming the mullet until the hair over the ears is down to the hairline, and then get a trim to even it off at the bottom. This will leave me with a lot of layers, but no mullet. From there, I'm just going to grow it out and trim semi-regularly (while ignoring the layers) until the layers have grown out. There may come a time when I get a somewhat bigger cut to remove more of the layers at once, but that won't be until my hair is long enough to wear up.

The only issue with my plan, is that possibly the layered hair will get somewhat scraggly during this process. I am hoping that because it's virgin hair, and because I won't be using any heat or doing anything damaging to it, that these hairs won't get split (or at least, there will only be minimal splitting on a few hairs). I don't think S&D will be possible until it's grown quite a bit!

Nesoi
August 12th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I don't think S&D is really possible until your hair is long enough to bring around and examine the individual strands. When growing mine out (mine is neck length now) I got the ends trimmed occasionally until it was around ear-length, then had it cut into a short bob. It's been fairly easy to leave it to grow out since then, just have to be patient. My hair doesn't tangle or knot easily though :/ It's about finding a balance between making length progress and having hair that will survive the process.

browneyedsusan
August 12th, 2013, 05:18 AM
*snip* I don't think S&D is really possible until your hair is long enough to bring around and examine the individual strands. *snip*

Me either. How could you see what you were doing?

I'd go to the hairdresser and get trims when it gets on your nerves. --I just pinned the front up everyday for 4 or 6 months and it grew. I never made much of a mullet, but that varies from person to person. Some people's nape grows faster than the rest of their hair.-- Do what you need to do to get through it.

McFearless
August 12th, 2013, 07:38 AM
You have to find a protective style that will minimize tangling and the resulting single knotted strands. I currently have a mullet pixie thing going on and they've started to form for me as well, but I keep them at a minimum by braiding my hair in corn rows. Gentle washing and using a leave in conditioner/oil that keeps the hair moisturized and supple will help as well.

Moira
August 12th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I have a pixie that I'm just starting to grow out, I'm planning on getting the back trimmed regularly until the sides and fringe/bangs are the same length. I also bleached my pixie so I'm in two minds as to whether to dye it back to my natural colour or live with the tide mark until it grows out!!

jacqueline101
August 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I've never had a pixie is there anyway to let it grow until it reaches that awkward mullet like stage. Maybe a tangle teaser might help the end knots.

AmyBeth
August 12th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I have cut my husband's hair for years and earlier this year persuaded him to grow it out. It was kind of tricky because he owns his own business and has to look somewhat professional and also did NOT ever want to wear a mullet. So I just kept trimming the back every few weeks until the front caught up. There is bound to be some awkward hair days when growing out a short hairstyle. He kept pushing the front hair behind his ears until it got long enough for a pony tail. At least women can use clips, pins and headbands to get them through the really awkward phases.

Luminaria
August 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM
What I did was probably not the best way of going about it but I just grew mine out until the majority of layers were short bob length or longer then got it cut into a short bob to make the growth as even as possible and get rid of the horrendous mullet that had made an appearance! I wasn't overly aware of what the ends of my hairs were like at the time as I had next to no hair care knowledge about this sort fo stuff, sorry. I initially wanted to wait until I can cut it into a bob, but these knots are annoying...

Luminaria
August 12th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I got my hair buzzed in March this year. I got a trim a couple of weeks ago to get rid of the mullet that was starting to appear and to even up the length a bit. I plan to trim as it grows out to try and get the length even. Did you get it trimmed at a salon or self-trimmed?

Luminaria
August 12th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I had a pixie cut about a month ago (to get rid of dye and go natural) with the goal of basically growing straight out again! I'm planning on trimming the mullet until the hair over the ears is down to the hairline, and then get a trim to even it off at the bottom. This will leave me with a lot of layers, but no mullet. From there, I'm just going to grow it out and trim semi-regularly (while ignoring the layers) until the layers have grown out. There may come a time when I get a somewhat bigger cut to remove more of the layers at once, but that won't be until my hair is long enough to wear up. The only issue with my plan, is that possibly the layered hair will get somewhat scraggly during this process. I am hoping that because it's virgin hair, and because I won't be using any heat or doing anything damaging to it, that these hairs won't get split (or at least, there will only be minimal splitting on a few hairs). I don't think S&D will be possible until it's grown quite a bit! I got a pixie to get rid of my hennaed hair and start anew kinda like you. Your plan seems pretty good.

Luminaria
August 13th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Me either. How could you see what you were doing? I'd go to the hairdresser and get trims when it gets on your nerves. --I just pinned the front up everyday for 4 or 6 months and it grew. I never made much of a mullet, but that varies from person to person. Some people's nape grows faster than the rest of their hair.-- Do what you need to do to get through it. If I did S&D, it would probably be the front/sides. I could feel the knots in back, but it would be difficult to trim. Since it's very curly, it's hard to tell by sight if it's a mullet. When I stretch it, the crown seems shorter than the back, so I think it is.

Luminaria
August 13th, 2013, 12:09 AM
You have to find a protective style that will minimize tangling and the resulting single knotted strands. I currently have a mullet pixie thing going on and they've started to form for me as well, but I keep them at a minimum by braiding my hair in corn rows. Gentle washing and using a leave in conditioner/oil that keeps the hair moisturized and supple will help as well. It's still kinda short to braid. I can barely make two little ponytails (top half/bottom half of hair).

Luminaria
August 13th, 2013, 12:11 AM
I have a pixie that I'm just starting to grow out, I'm planning on getting the back trimmed regularly until the sides and fringe/bangs are the same length. I also bleached my pixie so I'm in two minds as to whether to dye it back to my natural colour or live with the tide mark until it grows out!! That seems like a good idea. My back grows faster than my front.