PDA

View Full Version : Combing less .... encouraging waves?

sarahthegemini
August 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Wow, I read my OP and realised I rambled waaay too much, so here we go, take two:

I am worried that I'm combing too much and disrupting my waves. I comb to distribute leave in conditioner, then again to distribute oils, then again once my hair is dry. I use a wooden wide-ish tooth comb but I want to cut down on the amount of combing as I want to encourage my waves.

Basically, is it possible to evenly distribute condish and oils with just fingers?

Eta: I combed my hair a lot today and y hair is virually straight ...

My avatar pic is my hair after applying leave in condish and oil and combing it through afterwards.

spidermom
August 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
When I want to get the very best out of my waves, I comb the conditioner through in the shower, then let my hair dry naturally without combing it again, being very careful not to mess it around too much and cause tangles. Try that.

sarahthegemini
August 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM
When I want to get the very best out of my waves, I comb the conditioner through in the shower, then let my hair dry naturally without combing it again, being very careful not to mess it around too much and cause tangles. Try that.

Do you mean apply leave in conditioner then comb through with a comb or your fingers? Do you apply oils? If so, how do you ensure they're applied evenly w/o combing?

Nesoi
August 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Since I stopped combing my hair after washing, I've seen a huge boost in my waves! I find that combing it pulls out almost all the wave pattern and gives me frizz.

My hair is short right now, so tangles aren't so much of an issue. But I hear a lot of people have had good result detangling in the shower but then leaving it be. Have you looked at the curlygirl method?

Tori Angeli
August 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Yes, I would say do not comb after washing. Not even a little bit, not even with your fingers if you can help it. I will comb my pre-wash oiling through, then sometimes comb in the shower with conditioner in my hair, but once you do that final rinse, do not comb. You should see your waves clump together properly then.

sarahthegemini
August 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hmm okay, I'll try not combing at all (apart from the comb through once it's dry - as I said, my hair dries weird unfortunately :o) but how do I combat the leave-in products I use? As in, how do I ensure the products are evenly distributed w/o combing?

Eta: Just about to look up the CG method :)

Tori Angeli
August 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Definitely look up the CG method. Personally, I'd scrunch in a leave-in, but I don't use a lot of leave-in. Honestly, wait to decide on coming once it's dry. Your hair will almost certainly dry totally differently if you don't comb it after washing.

jillosity
August 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I have more waviness when I co-wash and then do a tiny bit of finger combing, I never bother to comb through conditioner or anything, I can feel that my hands are getting it around evenly.

Simone_Fatale
August 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Combing can definitely ruin the wavy pattern. When I used to comb my hair after washing I thought I had 1b hair. As it turns out, with a little encouragement, it goes well into the 2 category. I don't worry about distributing everything evenly cause IMO, it's really impossible and if I miss a spot today, next time I'll most definitely hit it..

jeanniet
August 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Take your leave in, rub it in your palms so it's all over your hands, then smooth lightly over your hair and scrunch it in. Same with oil. Perfect distribution really doesn't matter all that much. I'd do it upside down if you can, then turn gently upright. You may see a good enough wave pattern that you won't need to comb when it's dry. Dry combing will pull out a lot of wave. I used to be able to comb my hair into about 2a/b waves, although I don't know if I could do it any more because my curl pattern is much stronger since I started doing CG. I probably could with time, oil, and a lot of combing.

HylianGirl
August 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I don't see a need to comb to distribute conditioner, I fingercomb my hair with the conditioner and I get e very good distribution, as matter of fact, I think the comb removes part of the consitioner, I get to saturate my hair more without it.

I only comb my hair when it's dripping wet, after that I don't anymore, definatelly not when dry (that's what kills the most waves!). I also use my hands to distribute oil with no problem.

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Wow, I read my OP and realised I rambled waaay too much, so here we go, take two:

I am worried that I'm combing too much and disrupting my waves. I comb to distribute leave in conditioner, then again to distribute oils, then again once my hair is dry. I use a wooden wide-ish tooth comb but I want to cut down on the amount of combing as I want to encourage my waves.

Basically, is it possible to evenly distribute condish and oils with just fingers?

Eta: I combed my hair a lot today and y hair is virually straight ...

Oils I can't so I either use straight up as a pre-wash or as an ingredient within conditioner. Depending on length and thickness leave in conditioner is reasonably easy to distribute with your head upside down in very wet hair in sections, with 'scrunch and pump' or raking or grazing over or some combination. Check out the techniques sticky on Naturallycurly (newbies board or general haircare board) or the many tutorials on YouTube showing how wavies and curlies apply products.

My hair used to dry weird when I brushed/ combed, towel turbanned and air dried, it pulled my waves into wonky/ kinks. The best thing you can do is be open minded to changing any and all parts of your routine and experiment, not pre-judge the outcome.

blace
August 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Since I have yet to purchase a good, seamless comb...I've been finger combing for everything. This is probably only so successful because my hair is short (just shy of shoulder length). I'm somewhere around a 2a/b and finger comb while oiling (pre-wash), co-washing and before air drying. This method has really enhanced the look of my waves.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks ladies for all the responses. So what I gather is, the best advice is to touch my hair as little as possible (so, no over-combing!), scruch the conditioner in, in sections (instead of smoothing my palms down my entire length and combing through), and then scrunch oil in if poss, then leave well alone til dry. Finger comb only if necessary. Hopefully after this, my hair won't dry weird so I shan't need to comb it again.

My only other query now is this: I'm trying to wash my hair every other day now as opposed to every day. What should I do on non-wash days? I bun my hair and wear a sleep cap now when I sleep so in the a.m my hair flicks up at the end as though I have a tail :p I'm thinking spritz with water then scrunch a bit of AVG in my length?

spidermom
August 12th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Do you mean apply leave in conditioner then comb through with a comb or your fingers? Do you apply oils? If so, how do you ensure they're applied evenly w/o combing?

I oil the day before washing my hair and comb/brush to distribute it evenly, then braid.

In the shower, I wash, then apply conditioner, comb through, and rinse.

If I'm using leave-in as well, after squeezing my hair with a flannel pillowcase to remove extra water, I rub the leave-in between my hands, then lean out to one side, letting all my hair fall to that side, then sandwich my hair between my palms and apply to bottom 4 inches first, then move my hands to ear level and slide down to apply the rest of the leave-in. But I don't comb it through if I want my hair to be its wavy best. I don't always use the leave-in, however.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM
If I'm using leave-in as well, after squeezing my hair with a flannel pillowcase to remove extra water, I rub the leave-in between my hands, then lean out to one side, letting all my hair fall to that side, then sandwich my hair between my palms and apply to bottom 4 inches first, then move my hands to ear level and slide down to apply the rest of the leave-in. But I don't comb it through if I want my hair to be its wavy best. I don't always use the leave-in, however.

That's exactly how I have been applying my leave in, although I comb it afterwards. I assumed applying it that way sort of stretched out the waves?

spidermom
August 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
That's exactly how I have been applying my leave in, although I comb it afterwards. I assumed applying it that way sort of stretched out the waves?

I think it's the combing that really breaks up the waves. I've got a pretty light hand when I'm applying the leave-in. The pulling/stretching is very minimal.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I think it's the combing that really breaks up the waves. I've got a pretty light hand when I'm applying the leave-in. The pulling/stretching is very minimal.

Ah okay, thanks for your input spidermom :)

Leeloo
August 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Combing it dry would definitely remove waves. Maybe try skipping that part and see how your waves look.

purrmonsterr
August 12th, 2013, 12:35 PM

I do this too. If I'm putting oil in my hair I'll do it first thing after I get out of the shower, usually just finger comb it through, and then try not to touch it or move or do anything, if I even walk around the house or go outside it turns to a poofy/frizzy mess. I notice the most wave/curl definition the less I comb.

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks ladies for all the responses. So what I gather is, the best advice is to touch my hair as little as possible (so, no over-combing!), scruch the conditioner in, in sections (instead of smoothing my palms down my entire length and combing through), and then scrunch oil in if poss, then leave well alone til dry. Finger comb only if necessary. Hopefully after this, my hair won't dry weird so I shan't need to comb it again.

My only other query now is this: I'm trying to wash my hair every other day now as opposed to every day. What should I do on non-wash days? I bun my hair and wear a sleep cap now when I sleep so in the a.m my hair flicks up at the end as though I have a tail :p I'm thinking spritz with water then scrunch a bit of AVG in my length?

Come over to Naturallycurly forums, or the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook, or head onto YouTube and research the full Curly Girl method. Overnight we 'pineapple' or loose braid and either use a loose sleep cap or silk/ satin pillowcase. Some wave/ curl friendly styling products you could use reactivate with water if needed. Some people fully soak, some spritz, some smooth the water on, some do nothing hair is good to go, some use up dos. Most people find they want to touch as little as possible, not be scrunching away and causing frizz.

sarahthegemini
August 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Come over to Naturallycurly forums, or the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook, or head onto YouTube and research the full Curly Girl method. Overnight we 'pineapple' or loose braid and either use a loose sleep cap or silk/ satin pillowcase. Some wave/ curl friendly styling products you could use reactivate with water if needed. Some people fully soak, some spritz, some smooth the water on, some do nothing hair is good to go, some use up dos. Most people find they want to touch as little as possible, not be scrunching away and causing frizz.

Thanks firefox, I actually looked on NaturallyCurly earlier but couldn't locate the forum :o I have now though, and I'm a member!

spirals
August 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Before LHC I was all about encouraging curls/waves. I was a member of naturallycurly first, so I adopted this method (which I don't do now, but worked very well for my purposes then):
--I never actually combed nor brushed my hair; I just finger-styled. It was around APL, so tangles weren't as much an issue, and could come out in the wash.
--I washed every other day, doing this:
1. Shampoo and rinse once, concentrating on scalp.
2. Glob a bunch of conditioner on the lengths and let sit for a few minutes (5 or less).
3. Bend forward and fingercomb out tangles and loose hair, then rinse in that position for root volume.
4. Without wringing out excess water, squish in a mix of gel and leave-in (for you, whatever you use, including oil), allowing the water to distribute. Wrap in a microfiber towel while still in shower.

This would give me clumpy, spirally waves. I did not touch it after towelling, except to arrange any pieces that fell in my face.

ravenheather
August 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I agree with no touching for best waves. I am also having really good luck with flaxseed gel.

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I agree with no touching for best waves. I am also having really good luck with flaxseed gel.

I've never heard of Flaxseed gel. Have you tried AVG? If so, are the two similar? I have AVG :o

ravenheather
August 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I like avg but I love flaxseed gel. For me it's a little less sticky and a bit more moisturizing. No crunch. You make it yourself from whole flaxseeds. There's lots of info online. You can also mix avg with it.

Firefox7275
August 13th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I've never heard of Flaxseed gel. Have you tried AVG? If so, are the two similar? I have AVG :o

Depends on your hair properties, dew points, which aloe gel you have. Flaxseed (and okra gel) are film formers so help the cuticle lay flat and can help with capillary adhesion/ clumping, should be neither drying nor 'moisturising'. Aloe is a potent humectant too (attracts water) which can dry hair out in very low dews or make it swell and frizz in very high dews, depending on your porosity. May as well try it if you have some in already.

Both flaxseed and okra gels you can DIY (see YouTube) or buy in (someone on Wavy Hair Community is opening an Etsy but already selling via Facebook), use straight up or with all sorts of additives - magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) for curl boosting is popular, or xanthan gum for extra hold. Some of the Jessicurl stylers are based on flaxseed gel with a little aloe vera.

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Okay, today I scrunched in conditioner on soaking wet hair, then scrunched again to get rid of the drippyness. My hair is almost dry now and was looking very fine and with significantl less body :-/ I suddenly remembered I needed to oil so I sort of scrunched and finger combed some S.A.O and my hair does look a little fuller so pehaps finger combing for me is key. Can't wait to see my hair when it's 100% dry, I suspect I'll need to atleast finger comb it through but we'll see .....

Tori Angeli
August 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Depends on your hair properties, dew points, which aloe gel you have. Flaxseed (and okra gel) are film formers so help the cuticle lay flat and can help with capillary adhesion/ clumping, should be neither drying nor 'moisturising'. Aloe is a potent humectant too (attracts water) which can dry hair out in very low dews or make it swell and frizz in very high dews, depending on your porosity.

I didn't realize this. No wonder humectants (honey in particular, I've noticed) make my hair frizz. I might need to try flaxseed gel.

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Final verdict: My hair, as usual dried weirdly. My underlayer looked a little stringy and greasy so I had to comb it through. I only combed it briefly, one comb stroke on each section of hair (left section, right and back) I'm a little annoyed that my hair doesn't dry looking neat, and that I have to comb through to be happy with it. I don't think I managed to evenly distribute the oil either but I didn't do a bad job, I thought I had a slight greasy patch but that seems to have disappeared now. My waves do look a lot more defined though...til I combed :( Now they only look slightly more defined on one side, and normal on the other. It seems I can't have nice non-stringy hair AND big waves.

I think I will adjust and merge my original routine and the one I tried today. I will continue to scrunch in the conditioner, and not comb afterwards, then apply my oil with my finger tips as opposed to my palms so I can use a lighter touch, and scrunch whilst doing so, and then not comb. The only time I will use my wooden comb is once through when my hair is bone dry. I know this will pull my waves out but hopefully not too much. But we shall see! Once I've established making the most out of my waves natrally, then I will think about gels and such.

I don't know if these links will work but here goes:

http://m1273.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/sarahthegemini/2013-08-13183907_resized_zps8cf63df2.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

http://m1273.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/sarahthegemini/2013-08-13183907_resized_zps8cf63df2.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

That's my hair today, unfortunately the only other pic I have of my hair after my normal routine is my avatar.

Eta: A thought ... perhaps I could use more leave in condish, that might provide more hold/clumping so that when I do my only/final dry comb, it won't pull out my waves as much. I only use 3 little blobs at the mo. Thoughts?

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Ahhh okay so I know that combing disruped my waves a little but now all the defined waves I had? Completely dropped out. I obviously need something to hold them. I'll try avg tomorrow as that's what I have on hand, but I'll get hold of some flaxseed gel for future use.

My hair also looks less full now :-/ Grr!

spidermom
August 13th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Consider oiling before washing instead of after washing. Ktani's research suggested that oil penetrates the hair shaft due to molecular interactions while washing. It just sits on the hair otherwise. I find oil on clean hair attracts dust and lint, which causes tangling. No good.

Tori Angeli
August 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, the stringiness would be caused by the oil. I do a pre-wash oiling all the time and it works way better than post-wash oiling for me.

jacqueline101
August 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM
When I have braid waves I apply my leave in on my palms facing one palm to place conditioner on the outer and the other on the under side. I use a wide tooth comb prior to my leave in.

Firefox7275
August 13th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Final verdict: My hair, as usual dried weirdly. My underlayer looked a little stringy and greasy so I had to comb it through. I only combed it briefly, one comb stroke on each section of hair (left section, right and back) I'm a little annoyed that my hair doesn't dry looking neat, and that I have to comb through to be happy with it. I don't think I managed to evenly distribute the oil either but I didn't do a bad job, I thought I had a slight greasy patch but that seems to have disappeared now. My waves do look a lot more defined though...til I combed :( Now they only look slightly more defined on one side, and normal on the other. It seems I can't have nice non-stringy hair AND big waves.

I think I will adjust and merge my original routine and the one I tried today. I will continue to scrunch in the conditioner, and not comb afterwards, then apply my oil with my finger tips as opposed to my palms so I can use a lighter touch, and scrunch whilst doing so, and then not comb. The only time I will use my wooden comb is once through when my hair is bone dry. I know this will pull my waves out but hopefully not too much. But we shall see! Once I've established making the most out of my waves natrally, then I will think about gels and such.

I don't know if these links will work but here goes:

That's my hair today, unfortunately the only other pic I have of my hair after my normal routine is my avatar.

Eta: A thought ... perhaps I could use more leave in condish, that might provide more hold/clumping so that when I do my only/final dry comb, it won't pull out my waves as much. I only use 3 little blobs at the mo. Thoughts?

I think you need to be more patient and experiment instead of drawing such firm conclusions from one wash! Try choosing products and ingredients based on your hair properties, and giving the full Curly Girl method a go, each part works together including being upside down/ root clipping or upside down diffusing/ root massage when bone dry. There is an element of trade off between clumping and frizz control and volume, but there are routes around that.

Oil makes most wavies look stringy and greasy or takes the body out, that is why we tend to use it as a pre-wash or ingredient. Those that use straight up oil as a 'sealer' tend to be full on tightly curlies with dry hair that benefits from being weighed down a little (eg. African descent). Your hair looks short, fine and healthy enough not to need it.

sarahthegemini
August 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I'm notoriously impatient :p

On the plus side, I think I've figured out why my hair is a little weighed down, it has been the last couple days, I think I've been using too much of my rinse-out conditioner! I've been using a slightly larger amount, and I think my hair is healthier now so doesn't need half as much, d'oh! How did I not realise sooner ...

spirals
August 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Just thought of this: when I want billowy waves instead of spirally ones, I comb while wet and then put up in a cotton cloth for a little while. But I don't know if that will work for you if your waves are less tight than mine.