PDA

View Full Version : My mom thinks hair sells for 10.000 USD?

juliaxena
August 11th, 2013, 12:26 AM
That is what she said when I told her they have started stealing hair in some countries. That they steal around that much from thise poor girls. 10.000?

PeacenQuietGal
August 11th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I don't know, but just as long as your mom doesn't start scheming about your hair? I agree with you; it seems like that's way out of proportion. But I would dispell that notion in your mom's mind if it were me!

Nae
August 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I don't know about that. Maybe a couple of hundred for a really good head of hair. I am not sure.

jacqueline101
August 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I've never heard of anyone being arrested on my local news for human hair trafficking.

jessicac1
August 11th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Good quality hair (ie virgin) is worth a lot more than that. I have seen websites with people selling their hair and they have asked for substantially more. I think it was once linked on this forum somewhere...

Nae
August 11th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Good quality hair (ie virgin) is worth a lot more than that. I have seen websites with people selling their hair and they have asked for substantially more. I think it was once linked on this forum somewhere...

Wow. More than 10,000 USD? I am surprised.

Killahkurlz
August 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM
That is what she said when I told her they have started stealing hair in some countries. That they steal around that much from thise poor girls. 10.000?

it's true. blame weave addiction. some girls will pay anything andthat before they pay their bills to have a good weave. which is why vendors charge what they do, because they can, which leads to people wanting to sell it, steal it. but they do use the hair sacrificed in religious ceremonies as well.

HylianGirl
August 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM

i didn't know it could go for that much, I know people IRL who have sold their hair (one of them was an asian guy who had virgin hair down to his hips) and they can't get more than 100 dollars for it. Than again poeple around here don't like to give a lot of money for other's hair, only to charge a ridicoulously amount of money for extensions.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested on my local news for human hair trafficking.

I don't know where you live, but I have heard of people's hair being stolen, not only on my country but on many others as well, it is one of the reasons I am against weaves and extensions with human hair, not even the companies who sell the extensions/weaves can garantee you the origin of the hair. Try watching "good hair" by Chris Rock, or the doccumentary this singer made about extensions: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html The whole weave/extensions industry is based around human hair treafficking.

In2wishin
August 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Wow. More than 10,000 USD? I am surprised.

I believe I read $200 to $300. Maybe the $10K comes from the equivalent buying power. ($200 will buy as much in Venezuela as $10,000 will buy in the US)

YamaMaya
August 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM
:bigeyes: I sure am glad I've never bought hair extensions. Now every time I pass the wig shop in town all I'll be able to think about is "what if that was stolen from the head of some poor girl who spent years caring for an maintaining her hair?" :(

jeanniet
August 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
What an individual is asking for their hair and what it actually sells for are two different things. There are also people who want to buy hair for uses other than as extensions, and they will probably pay quite a bit to get exactly what they want, if you catch my drift.

chen bao jun
August 11th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Well, this article is outdated (3 years old) but it doesn't seem like hair sells for as much as that. One lady did get $3,000 + but that was unusual. there probably, as usual, is a difference between what the person cutting it off gets and what it sells for to the hairweave or wig customer. I know that killahkurlz is right that some people buy hair weaves for $10,000 plus. But Idon't think its what anyone gets for sellling their hair.
<Moderation: Link removed per Item #4 of the Terms of Service.>

Messyhair
August 11th, 2013, 06:01 PM

But are they actually selling it or just asking that much? I wonder...

Michiru
August 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I've looked into selling hair once. I had henna at the time. Only virgin hair can sell, and it's 200-1,000. The 1,000 is for the longer then finger tip. The site I saw this on is no longer active.

Michiru
August 12th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Here is another site I found. <Moderation: Link removed per Item #4 of the Terms of Service.>