PDA

View Full Version : Ginger Pride

humble_knight
August 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM
The UK's first Ginger Pride festival in Edinburgh :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23643831

I heard of something like this in Holland. I'm pleased for UK-Gingers that now they have their own special festival here!

Are there any festivals like this for redheads wherever you live? [the big international LHC community]

spirals
August 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I don't know, but I have my own little festival in my head when I see a ginger.

Arien
August 11th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I'm never sure if this sort of thing is a help or a hinderence in the long run. I don't understand why groups of people feel the need to segregate themselves from others. That is just my opinion however. They do seem to having a nice day out so I suppose that is something! :)

Haybop
August 11th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I'm never sure if this sort of thing is a help or a hinderence in the long run. I don't understand why groups of people feel the need to segregate themselves from others. That is just my opinion however. They do seem to having a nice day out so I suppose that is something! :)

Unfortunately, outside of this website, there are a lot of people who think it's fine to bully people because they have ginger hair and it has become quite violent in the past (news articles of a family of gingers being forced to move because of the abuse they suffered). Also does anyone remember the 'gingers have no souls' meme that did the rounds a while ago - that picked up a heck of a following & came off the internet and into the real life too. Imagine some child who believes in the soul being bullied because their hair colour means they don't have one.

It is more of a march against being seen as different from non-gingers than actually segregating themselves - an anti-bully march. We may not understand the hate but it does happen and you can't throw any big words at the bullies except 'bullying' that'd otherwise make them think twice about their actions.

Charybdis
August 11th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I don't know, but I have my own little festival in my head when I see a ginger.

Same here! :D

Although I was discussing this article with DH last night, and we came to the conclusion that the "fact" about Scotland containing 20% of the world's red-haired population *has* to be wrong, given that Scotland has a population of only about 5 million, and around 10% of that population has ginger hair. If we assume 500,000 redheads in Scotland, if that's 20% of the world's redheads, that would mean there are only 2.5 million redheads worldwide. Given a population of 7 billion, that has to be wrong. Even if only a tenth of a percent of the global population had red hair, that's still 7 million people! And the figure I usually have seen is that 1-2% of the worldwide population has some level of red hair.

Lady Mary
August 11th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Because of Kick a Ginger Day. That's why :(