PDA

View Full Version : does covering head cause damage?

hannabiss
August 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Well my hair is only a quarter inch I was wondering will a silky scarf cause damage around the edges. Or possibly hair loss? Idk I've been told not to cover head. At home and when IM driving I don't just if IM around lots of other people.

fairview
August 10th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I've heard and read a lot of crazy things since joining this forum but this has to be one of the top ten. I'm not sure if I would seriously listen to whomever has told you wearing a protective scarf is detrimental to hair growth or scalp care. If you would keep you scalp covered 24 a day for days on end with something that did not allow air flow, you would be creating an ideal environment to develop thriving fungal infections. I've seen this on committed wig wearers. Wearing a scarf while you are outside in the sun even for a few minutes would prevent an extremely painful nearly 3d degree equivalent sunburn, on very delicate, tender skin very susceptible to burning in short order but other than that by the end of the first month you should have about 1/2 of hair going on so it will be a mute point. Right now with a 1/4" of scalp hair I would recommend that you slather on some 30 sunscreen underneath the scarf to further prevent a sunburn because intense sun can get through thin material and still burn skin. It just takes longer. Its up to what you are comfortable with since scalp hair is terminal and not delicate vellus hair becoming terminal.

neko_kawaii
August 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I wore silk scarves when in the sun while my head was shaved and I wore cotton bandanas to keep my hair out of my face for more than a year while a pixie grew long enough to braid. I didn't notice any damage. Come to think of it, prior to that particular pixie, I'd worn cotton bandanas 4-5 days a week 8-12 hours a day for work as did pretty much everyone I worked with. I did that for five years. I never heard mention of damage from it.

Hootenanny
August 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
There are women in a number of cultures who always wear their hair covered in public, and as far as I know, these women don't struggle with hair damage any more than women who don't cover their hair. Silk scarves are especially gentle, so you really should be fine!

Anje
August 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Nah, you'll be fine. I know of several people with amazing long hair who routinely cover it to protect, hold it, or keep their massive buns from drawing undue attention. There are plenty of women who wear daily hajibs with gorgeous hair underneath (but they probably aren't posting pics of it to the internet!).

Be gentle, of course. Don't tie it so tight that you have white marks where you didn't get circulation. But know that covering the hair with a scarf is often considered the ultimate in protective styling.

Arien
August 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I highly doubt wearing any scarf let alone a silky one would damage your hair much less make it fall out unless you are allergic to silk protein?! There is no reason for it to. Unless you wear one made from sandpaper or something I think you are probably safe lol :bigtongue:

meteor
August 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I don't know if I can comment since I don't have personal experience with this, but I saw my friends with no hair or super-short hair getting major sunburns on their scalps when we were out in the sun together.
I never bother to cover my head, so my hair gets super-hot and I get natural highlights and probably some damage, but it's absolutely NOTHING compared to getting your scalp burnt. Certainly protect your scalp in the sun, especially while your hair is too short to protect it for you.

I think hair growth can suffer from scalp sunburns.

Check this out:
http://www.hairdr.com/news/press-releases/dr-robert-leonard-exposes-the-truths-and-myths-surrounding-hair-loss-in-men-and-women/
"Myth: Wearing a baseball cap or hats will cause thinning hair and loss of hair.
Dr. Leonard: Hats off to this myth! No matter what your mother has told you, wearing a hat does not cause hair to thin or fall out.
Myth: Applying sunscreen to the scalp will cause hair to thin and fall out.
Dr. Leonard: No! If you have thinning hair, it is very important to use sunscreen on your scalp to prevent burn and worse. In fact, one of the first hints that a person is losing his or her hair is, indeed, sunburn."

truepeacenik
August 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM
At a quarter inch, I'd not worry.
The only issue I can imagine is wearing a scarf in the same exact position, many hours a day, tightly. And that would only be damage like a ponytail elastic in the same spot daily, or friction from a tight hat.

I know with silky material tight is necessary, so have a couple different places it rubs.

YamaMaya
August 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Silk scarves should be perfectly fine, and beneficial to prevent sun damage on your scalp. In fact I've even heard it recommended to wear silk scarves under things like wool hats.

Leeloo
August 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I was wondering about the same thing about sleeping bonnets. And now I agree with others here that it is the best protective style.

ravenreed
August 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I get tangles in my nape hairs when I wear a covering, but I also get them when I wear high collared shirts. I wouldn't worry about it much.