PDA

View Full Version : Let us grow through this mullet!

Houdini
August 10th, 2013, 12:17 AM
So I woke up this morning and I rubbed the back of my head and I felt it- the hair on my neckline hanging past the rest.

My husband was giving me my scalp massage tonight and he noticed it- tugged on it a little and called it 'a lil mini mullet'. I am determined NOT to cut it, no matter how awkward or silly it looks- I know in the future when it looks like shoulder length layers, I will be happy to not have chopped of any natural length progress.

Anyone else riding the mullet train to beautiful hair town?

Anyone out there grown through it?

Leeloo
August 10th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I just wanted to say how good it is to hear about someone sticking to it and going through the awkward phase without chopping. You are so brave. And congrats on hubby doing scalp massages

KittyBird
August 10th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Aww, this makes me happy. Go you! :cheer: I didn't bother chopping the mullet away when I grew out my pixie many years ago. I just ignored it, and suddenly my hair was bsl length!

Nesoi
August 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Hey, best of luck! I wish I hadn't let the hairdresser cut off my mullet quite so many times when I was growing out! I think my hair would have been longer than it is (just past chin) by now. You can do it! Clips are your friends!

I actually found the Justin Bieber Swoop to be the worst part. Mullets are underrated! ;)

Mesmerise
August 10th, 2013, 05:07 AM
I don't think I can do it, but best of luck to you!! I have decided to keep chopping off the mullet until the hair over my ears is to my hairline, and then I'll grow my hair from there (it will have a lot of layers but won't have a mullet at the back, at least that is the plan). As it is I have literally 1cm of mullet now (so it's not even noticeable to anyone else) and it's starting to get on my nerves!! GAH!

Soraya
August 10th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I have a sort of side mullet (biased cut in the back) and plan on keeping it! The longest part has only been trimmed about 1cm since I was bald. By now of course it wouldn't be too bad even if I'd cut nothing, since I could just wear the back hidden in a twist or twin ponytails. Still, it's way faster this way than trimming the neck area completely!

Courage to you, and I hope you like scarves and tiny ponytails and bobby pins and hats and all things nice :D

browneyedsusan
August 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I rode that train.

May siggy is right after my "tail-ectomy", Hairdresser trimmed my neck up to my hairline--about an inch in back. After that I just grew it out, pinning the front up every, stinking day! For me, pinning up the front camouflaged the mullet in the back.

Here is a photo from October 2012:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8100079152_f147f0b220.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/8100079152/)
Oct 2012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/8100079152/) by Mom and wife (http://www.flickr.com/people/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

I had my "layers" (pixie earholes and the like) neatened up this February, but Hairdresser left the length alone.

You can do it. Just pin it up and forget about it for a couple of months. :thumbsup:

Pixie2013
August 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Brave! I clipped off my mini-mullet a few weeks ago but maybe I will follow your lead and let the next mullet stay. Maybe by the time the mullet shows up the rest of my hair will be long enough so that I can use headbands and clips and little lace braids on the front part. You know, make my "business in the front" look fun enough to match my "party in the back".

hafattack
August 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Good luck to you! Many of us have grown out some awkward stuff. I am still growing out my 'dead fish hair' fringe. Stay strong and happy growing!

grungy haze
August 10th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Yep, I've been stuck in that stage for the entire summer. It's driving me crazy, especially since my hair is so damaged, but I'm just trying to make it through. Stay strong, we'll get there eventually.