PDA

View Full Version : Guys using hair products, and treatments. and their wife/g/f response

hair jim
September 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hi just wondering?
i and a frequent hair experimenter,to try to keep my hair nice and healthy, My wife doesnt do any thing to her hair, and it's nice. but it could be better.
and thinks i do too much to my hair.
have a happy hairday
jim

rockkcor
September 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
I don't know - but all my girlfriens were aware that I am longhair fanatic - so I guess if it bothered them they would not be with me in the first place :)

Kirin
September 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm not a guy, but my husband is growing his hair long as well as me. I buy products for him and egg him on to try conditioner washing, coconut oil, all that...... he's converted :)

Lamb
September 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I see guys with short hair who wear half a drugstore on their heads. I find that too much, regardless of gender. But to each their own. :shrug:
I think your wife just thinks your hair could look just fine without stuff, it's likely nothing to do with what is "becoming" to a man and what is not. Perhaps she has a minimalist attitude to haircare, and you don't? (I'm assuming she would say the same to, say, her sister or female friend.)

kunibob
September 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
My partner spends a lot of money on haircuts, highlights and product, and he doesn't even have long hair! He wears a spiked hairstyle and is very particular about it looking/feeling soft, "natural" and non-greasy, so he shells out a lot for high-quality products. I love his hair (it's the first thing that caught my attention when we first met long ago), and he has his hair money carefully budgeted, so I have no problem with it. Some of our friends tease him, though, especially because he tends to preen his hair whenever he sees a reflective surface. I think his hair obsession is adorable, particularly because he's otherwise not a very vain guy. ;)

It's kind of funny because when he and I met, I was (poorly) cutting and dying my hair and using cheap drug store poo/c, and he introduced me to his hairdresser. Most male-female couples are the other way around... :lol:

Anyway, it's pretty funny now that I'm starting to fuss over my hair as much as he fusses over his -- oh, the hair vanity!

So, I see no problem with a guy paying more attention to his hair than a girl. Hair care is a very individualized thing, and I don't think it's really limited by gender!

brightonwoman
September 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
My DH's hair is only a few inches long (although we've just decided to let it go for a while and see what happens!) He's always kept it short on the neck/ears but a little longer on top. It's very thick and has some curl...he uses gel in it on a daily basis because if left alone it gets crazy wild. :silly: I don't object to him using product (although I don't use anything besides basic shampoo/conditioner for myself) but I AM really excited at the idea of him growing it out so that gravity can help calm it down a bit and maybe he won't need the products anymore. :)

Medvssa
September 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
My boyfriend has very long hair and I suggested oiling, that one he liked and uses it everyday. Other things I have suggested, he has tried them once, but he wouldn't repeat (cassia, deep treatments etc :p) I personally do not mind at all that he takes some care of his hair, wouldn't be at all bothered if he took more care of it either.

Eirinn
September 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I like long hair on man but if he grows it to look pretty and pays any more attention then washing and brushing it it's simply womanish to me. I like differences between both sexes and I'm for keeping them.

Oskimosa
September 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am ashamed of this, but...

Before I married my husband, he was growing out his hard-to-manage curly hair. When I found out he was using Pantene because it made his hair behave better, (and, I use whatever smells good under $2) I joked him out baaad. I teased him to no end.

Now, I realize that was very jerkish of me and have since apologized and retracted the statements. Hair is important, it says alot about you, and shouldn't be dictated by what others think/feel!

If others disagree, (which can be hard when it's your SO) just remind them of how accepting you are of THEIR quirky habits.

Katze
September 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Hi just wondering?
i and a frequent hair experimenter,to try to keep my hair nice and healthy, My wife doesnt do any thing to her hair, and it's nice. but it could be better.
and thinks i do too much to my hair.
have a happy hairday
jim

Well, I am not a guy, but my BF is a longhair too (APL stretched; we just hacked off 5 inches or so at the end of Aug) and he thinks I do too much to my hair. As a fine-haired wavy/curly I think he could take better care of his beautiful gold ringlets!

Lately he has been using my Burt's Bees Avocado Pre Shampoo Treatment as a leave-in, and his ends are looking much better.

He also explained to me that with my many dozens of bottles, and him half-blind without his glasses, he can't SEE well enough in the shower to find the conditioner or sort it out from all the others. Since pointing him in the direction of my favorite shampoo (Aubrey Organics Chamomile) he does now recognize it and uses it.

As his hair gets longer he's realizing that he does need to care for it better if he doesn't want me coming at him with the scissors. Now, if I could only get him to trim his beard better...:D

Honigwein
September 26th, 2008, 07:45 AM
My husband has a very long hair that needs almost no care!How lucky he is don´t you think?His hair is straight blond and reaches about 80cm. He only applies some liquid keratin sometimes on it. I believe treatments depends on the person´s hair structure. My best friend have plenty of long curled hair, longest than mine and he must do a lot of things for his hair not to look shapeless. Curled hair usually need more care because curls tend not to help conditioners and treatments to reach all the hair lenght. An aunt that has a saloon once told me that.

trolleypup
September 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Dianyla is OK with what I do with my hair.

ilovelonghair
September 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
My partner likes to take good care of his hair so it looks healthy. Every now and then he uses a mix of henna and cassia to dye his greys and give his hair a nice shine.
I think there is no difference if men and women like to take care of their hair, it's not necesairily a famale thing to do.

nmarie33
October 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I wish my BF would spend more time/effort fussing over his hair! It is about mid-back, slightly curly and a very lovely honey color. But it could be in better shape. Since I started reading here I have been at him to ease up on raking an old brush through his hair. I actually started combing it out for him and putting oil in it at night! Now I believe I've created a monster, because he likes the attention. I may have to groom him like a dang monkey every day now. LOL

Magdalene
October 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
DH likes to use whatever I'm using (even though it's not right for his hairtype). As long as he's happy, he can use whatever he likes.

nappywomyn
October 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I can't keep hair ON DH's head as he insists on shaving to almost bald all the time - if he had more hair, I'd be happy for him to preen it (or preen it for him!)

Anje
October 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
DH has cut his hair short again, but while he was growing it, I converted him to doing SMTs.

It was rather amusing... the first time, he was sitting there with the shower cap on his head and asked, "How often should I do this? Quarterly?" He was a bit dismayed when I told him weekly to monthly would be a good idea.
Once it was rinsed out and dried, he kept raving about how great his hair felt. I think he mixed up another SMT and did a second one that week. :D

He still uses aloe gel to make it curl up and give his hair a little volume. He likes it better than hair gel. He also suggested that he wanted to try henna (not much of a commitment with short hair, anyway), and loved the results.

Within reason, I'm all for guys experimenting with products, as long as they're not spending too many hours in front of the mirror. It's kinda neat that DH can now relate to my haircare routine, even if he no longer does it.

NeilTheFuzz
October 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I use pretty stock stuff nowadays, shampoo and conditioner. I have used products like smoothing serums, mouse and gels in the past but my girlfriends reaction to them has always been pretty negative. She prefers my hair natural and she thinks the extra time I had to spend in the mirror fiddling with my hair was a waste of time as it didn't benefit my hair in manys ways.

Buddaphlyy
October 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I live with two brothers who are growing out their hair and they don't seem to do anything. But when they do want to do something, they check with me first to see if it's okay. I usually say yes.

poetryofacherry
October 14th, 2008, 02:36 AM
BF's hair is pretty short and he insists on keeping it that way. i actually prefer it short but i like the way he takes care of it. i dont find it vain or girlie and i always encourage him or give him advice from what i've learnt here

Shadow
December 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Am fine with it, as long as I dont catch them diong it and they dont tell me sbout it...might be a bit old fashioned but I kinda of like to be the pretty one in my relationships :D

Calanthe
December 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
DH has short hair but spends way longer in the bath then I do, due to his "complicated" hairstyle :D. He certainly could care better for his tresses (I would be all for it) but well...

On a general note, a head of beautiful, well-cared-for hair is great on both guys and girls, so I think it's perfectly ok for guys to pamper their hair with hair products, treatments and what-have-you. Nothing girly in that, just loving care.

akurah
December 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well, for some reason, DBF has been growing out his hair lately. I suspect its either to insulate his head for winter or he's getting lazy (he normally keeps it bald).

And guess what he's using to care for it? My old products I rejected for various reasons of not working but don't have the heart to throw out entirely. Makes me so happy!

VikingJarl
December 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I use coconut & jojoba oils, shea butter, ACV rinses and CWC wash. I do search & destroy on my split ends and have just started using daktarin (monistat) for some extra growth.

I had neglected my hair for over 20 years and just let it grow, but it was getting to the point where it never got any longer and the ends were in a right mess! Luckily I found this site and started looking after it properly.

DW is quite happy as she is growing her hair too and is also benefiting from what I have learned:)

animetor7
December 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
I have never dated a guy with long hair, they have all been military cut boys heh heh....I guess this is what comes from being a tomboy and dating friends. But back on topic if a guy has long hair I appreciate when he takes the time and money to really care for it. I don't have a problem with any hair length on any gender provided that it is well taken care of. I only dislike longhaired guys when their hair is a greasy tangly mess, but then that bothers me in their female counterparts as well. So in short if using products helps a guy take care of his hair and keep it from turning into the aforementioned mess, more power to him! :D

I am female by the way.

sarelis
December 5th, 2012, 06:56 AM
My partner likes to keep his hair short, but he is uber fussy about it! He has to have this particular gel, which he uses in the mornings to cement it in place. I hate the gel, it makes his hair feel hard & crunchy, he only washes about once a week so then I make sure to get my hands on it while it's soft and clean before he dumps another load of gel on it! However when I explained to him about sulphates in shampoo & why they are bad, he insisted on going sulphate free too :)

spidermom
December 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Keep doing what is right for your hair. Some hair types need more care than others. I know mine needs deep treatments and oiling, else it dries out on the ends and splits like crazy. I know others don't have this problem.

Chromis
December 5th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Oooh, a thread zombie! OP posted this in 2008 and has not posted in the thread since, but maybe he will poke back in and tell us if she ever came round.

Long_hair_bear
December 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM
My hubby is growing his hair out since I like long hair on guys. He's super cute with it too! He lets me brush it out and put it up for him. He also, albeit reluctantly, lets me do coconut oil and deep condish treatments on him. Only thing he hates is the shower cap! lmao I've also talked him in to using an sls free shampoo. Btw, ladies, Toadstool soaps makes a heavenly smelling scent for guys called Hydrus...... It smells like Axe Phoenix! Smells sssssssoooooo good on a guy! I get my hubby shampoo and condish in that. :)

torrilin
December 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM
My partner keeps his hair short these days. In college, he wore it long. Either is fine with me, as long as he's happy with his hair. Since he has severe psoriasis, he finds short more comfortable. He uses a special shampoo to help control his psoriasis symptoms. Special soap too, and if he uses conditioner and gel he needs fragrance free. I try to make sure we have plenty of safe products on hand for him to use.

Because his psoriasis is so severe, he tends to have lots of open sores on his skin. A lot of different products will tend to make him itch or even leave him feeling burned if it touches a sore. It's pretty much torture, so I don't put up with him having stuff that hurts. It's not a big deal to buy comfortable and pain free products, and it makes us both happier.

I even make custom scented bath oil so he can indulge in aromatherapy baths :). A lot of bought bath oils aren't safe for him to use, but a local shop sells a fragrance free bath oil base that I can blend with perfume oil that is safe for him. I usually have a couple bottles of various scents on hand since we both enjoy baths.

Shaun
December 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Well, I can speak for myself as a guy, but no s/o to get input from... :neutral:

I do the CO routine every other day, unless I get buildup, then I ACV/W/C
I'm on a mix of EVOO/Coconut oil and Aloe to keep the poof away and help with manageability.

Honestly, I'm think I'm still trying to figure it all out. Last year I was a buzz or a frozen with gel kinda guy. I hated the crunch, but really hated the hot mess look if I didn't use gel.

Now I'm discovering what its like to be a long hair and finding my happy place! I owe it all to the lovely ladies (and gents) from this LHC!

Anyone have any secrets for defeating the dreaded "J-curls?"