PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty for doing the same thing with my hair everyday

Flournoy
August 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I am a guy whose hair is about APL and I pretty much always wear it tied back in a ponytail. Especially since getting on here I feel guilty about doing the same thing everyday. Everyone here seems to do a ton of stuff with their hair. I guess for the most part I am content with that, but wondered if others feel the same way or not? It seems like I have it long and should do something with it, but I am really just ok with a good old ponytail. Maybe that is just a guy thing.

Pigfarts
August 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Personally, I think it's completely fine that you just wear a pony tail. I think I might find it a tad bit odd if I saw a guy with waterfall braids or something. But really, it's just whatever you want.

YamaMaya
August 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM
It's your hair, so do with it what makes you happy. I will say one thing though, pony elastics tend to damage hair, even the metal free ones. Just try not to pony too tightly I guess :D

Wildcat Diva
August 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I recently advised a new male member to consider a simple, English braid. That way, if you use an elastic at the end, you are maybe going to trim that last inch off eventually, so at least the damage is not further up the hair strand. Not sure how that would look, but it's worth a shot.

jeanniet
August 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Why? When it comes right down to it, it's your hair, and it is just hair. You should do whatever you want with it. Just be aware that having your hair in a ponytail every day may cause some damage/breakage, so if your hair seems to be thinning in the length that would be why. You might want to braid it sometimes to take the strain off, and be careful with what you use to pony or tie the ends of your braid You might consider using fold-over elastic ties, which are gentler than regular ponytail elastics.

Sharysa
August 9th, 2013, 09:25 PM
To be fair, we do the same thing most days as well. Fancy hairstyles are whenever we have something planned or we're bored. I cycle between Dutch braids and normal braids most of the time.

Plus, you're a guy. Long hair is rare on men in Western society, so there's nowhere near as many hairstyles for them as there are for women.

I also second that ponytails will lead to damage, so you should probably think of braiding your hair or using gentler elastics.

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Meh, I did a simple braid every single day from barely long enough to near hip. Then I got bored of the braid. When you get bored of that pony I'm sure we can come up with some other styles for you. *grin*

leslissocool
August 9th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Meh, I did a simple braid every single day from barely long enough to near hip. Then I got bored of the braid. When you get bored of that pony I'm sure we can come up with some other styles for you. *grin*

I'm at TBL and still using the english braid :whistle:.

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM

I'm wearing one right now! I just have a few more resources available when it bores me than I used to.

Flournoy
August 9th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I know it is my hair and I should do what I want, but that makes me feel a bit better. I have thought about braiding and it probably needs to get a bit longer for me to be able to manage that, but I do like the look of the tail better. What kind of elastics would you use? I just by the standard metal-less ones at walgreens. It seems like all the girls use those?

luxepiggy
August 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I have had long hair for over 2 decades now, and my regular repertoire at any given time has never contained more than 2 hairstyles. TBH, most days I just leave it down - I am lazy :p My opinion is if it works for you, why not? And from your avatar pic it looks like you have very nice hair, so it does seem to be working just fine!

I use the "no-slip" elastics, but that is because I have extremely slippery hair that laughs at regular ouchless elastics. Certainly the ones you use are better for your hair than mine are (^(oo)^)`

Flournoy
August 9th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I have had long hair for over 2 decades now, and my regular repertoire at any given time has never contained more than 2 hairstyles. TBH, most days I just leave it down - I am lazy :p My opinion is if it works for you, why not? And from your avatar pic it looks like you have very nice hair, so it does seem to be working just fine!

I guess that probably applies to most people, I just never really paid attention before. And thanks for the complement.

SongofLove
August 10th, 2013, 12:30 AM

Hehe me too :) English braid pretty much every day since it was long enough to braid. I've only very recently been putting it up, and it's just me putting up the English braid into a bun ;)

Yeah Flournoy, gotta say, your hair looks gorgeous!

Dragon
August 10th, 2013, 01:21 AM
If you are happy and like it, don't worry. I also do the same hairstyle every day except occasionally when I feel like something different. I also use any metal free elastics to.

Leeloo
August 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Before LHC I wore my hair in a pony tail almost everyday. So trying to avoid damage from the elastic (which I totally could see the breakage) I'm trying to alternate between a bun held with a stick or a fork (usually cinnabun), lazy version of a French twist with claw clips and just wearing it down. I think either one of those styles would look great on a guy also. But your hair might be strong enough to handle the ponytail through.

Natalia
August 10th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Im pretty stable in my hair routine. Most of the time it goes up in a nautilus and it stays that way all day. I try to vary the base of the bun some so I don't wear too much in one spot but I mostly wear the same thing everyday. I went through this with a cinnabun too wore it for over a year till it got too heavy and awkward then I switched to the nautilus and I will probably wear it till something similar happens.

MaryMarx
August 10th, 2013, 02:21 AM
If you just want a different look, you could try a "man bun". :) I think every man looks good with this one. It's more like a knot I think than a bun, just image google 'man bun' and you'll find a lot of pics.

yoni
August 10th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Totally relate to your case, I've been wearing a ponytail solely for almost 2 years, and tried those styles only at home to see how it looks like, there's really nothing to feel guilty at, just do what you want since it's your hair!

Recently I've been wearing almost solely buns, but that's mostly becuase my hair has gotten way too long for a ponytail that it always gets oh so tangled, and it's more comfortable, but however your hair will be in the future is once again, totally up to you! :D

tigereye
August 10th, 2013, 04:01 AM
TBH I just alternate the same two buns the vast majority of the time. I'll braid it occasionally if I'm doing sports or doing something where I would be worried about my hair-toys getting damaged.
I think many of us just really wear a couple of different styles all the time, unless we're either bored and trying stuff out or have something to go to that we would like to dress up for.

If you want to wear a ponytail that's fine. It's your hair. I will warn you though, that I found the elastic caused a lot of breakage in a ponytail. Even the metal-free ones aren't brilliant. A scrunchie is much better, but some people might not like scrunchies (I know I didn't like them at one point).

Kiwiwi
August 10th, 2013, 04:19 AM
I wear a braid every single day. Either one braid or two pigtails.
I really think most of us here wear the same thing most of the time.
Don't feel guilty about anything, dear. Do what you want! It's your life :)

Etna
August 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I wear a English braid, or a doubled up english braid pretty much every.single.day. Unless you want to draw attention to your hair (and it's totally ok if you do) there is nothing wrong with just wearing your hair how you are comfortable and how it is practical, unless it is causing damage.

I think you would do well to try a caterpillar pony if you would like your hair a bit more restrained but do not wish to braid.

lapushka
August 10th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I'm waist length, and my hair's in a doubly folded peacock twist 6 out of 7 days. *All* *the* *time*! Don't worry about it!

meteor
August 10th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I think doing exactly the same thing every day to your hair is not damaging, as long as your practices are reasonable. I think it's best not to overthink it and benign neglect really does wonders.
I part my hair always in the same place, and I do the same bun, and I think hair follicles get used to being pulled gently in the same direction rather than having to adjust to every new style (which usually makes my scalp sore and also causes more tangles).

The longest hair I've ever had was definitely when I wore it in a simple ponytail every single day. There was no damage, but at the time my hair had never been died or heat-styled.

Anabell
August 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Yep. Me too. And my hair is at FTL. Another one to the english braid club. lol.

Flournoy, I think that most of the people do the same thing every day, or have 2-3 hairstyles. Most of the people don't have a time to do everyday a new fancy hairstyle. You can try to move the ponytail a little- sometimes higher sometimes lawer at your head so you don't get the weight of your hair at the same spot everyday. You also can learn some simple other hairstyles if you want to vary- check out the english braid and the cinnamon bun.

trolleypup
August 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
No need to "keep up with the Joneses"!

For most of the time I've had long hair, I only used a couple styles at a time. Down and clipped ponytail until it got too long for that, then down and lazy bunned. And the "up" style was the vast majority of the time.

If you want to avoid elastic damage, you might want to look at slide barrettes (like those from Bronze Jewelers (http://www.bronzejewelers.com/slide-ba.htm)).

jacqueline101
August 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
You could braid it let it hang down your back. There's nothing wrong with a pony tail.

Hairitic
August 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
If you get bored with your pony, you might want to try a bun held with a stick or fork. I find forks hold really well and I think guys look fantastic in a bun. Sooo sexy! :p

PianoPlaye
August 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Wiser heads than mine have said do what you're happy with, just be picky about your elastics.
My english braid I coil & pin by day & unpin by night. Other styles are for special events (and are often a variant on a braid with decorations!)
They joy of this site is your eyes are opened to alternatives. That's all. You choose, & get to make more choices with the increased information.

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Another vote for constant ponytails even with 'no snag' elastics can be damaging. Mostly I have my hair down at present (not yet BSL) but also use terry towel ponios, small scrunchies, beak clip for a sort of twist a bit like a 'figure 8'. Beak clips come in plain design browns that would blend into your hair if you don't feel comfortable with fancy hair toys. I think guys look cool in a braid, especially when they have healthy looking well cared for hair.