PDA

View Full Version : needing a better hair color soultion

Radiant
August 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
So I'm new here (2nd time posting), and seeking some advise on a hair color solution. As a child I was blonde, but my hair gradually darkened to a light brown. Two months ago I dyed my hair for the first time in about 10 years, and went with a medium blonde. The color itself is ok, although I'm not necessarily in love with it or desiring to keep it.

My roots have grown in faster and darker than I had anticipated, and I've touched them up twice already and really need to do so again as I have 1/4-1/2 inch of roots showing. I don't like this frequent upkeep, not necessarily the process of re-dyeing, but just the fact that having noticable roots REALLY bothers me, and I'd literally have to color every 2 weeks to avoid ever having any roots. I don't want to damage my hair continuously with color either.

My two main options as I see them now are to either recolor my hair to light brown (to match roots) and then leave well enough alone OR switch to henna as I would LOVE to have reddish hair. My primary concerns are that if I go with the traditional brown haircolor that it'll fade over time and/or not really match my roots, and then I'll be in the same situation I'm in now (albeit with less noticeable roots), having to recolor every few weeks just to maintain a light brown color which I have naturally and was bored with anyway.

If I go with the henna my main concerns are that it'll be too bright or unnatural for my tastes, and I'm fearful of the permanence of henna (should I be unhappy with results). I would love to have a reddish shade to my hair though, and choose to go blonde rather than red only because I had heard that red hair dye was impossible to maintain and faded so quickly.

Also, I may be weird, but I'm sort of a neat freak, and I can recall when I was younger and would dye my hair darker (from dark blonde/light brown to a dark brown) that the dye would run and stain towels etc. for several washes after coloring. With the blonde dye I've been using these past 2 months I have had absolutely no issue with this whatsoever.

What are the pros/cons of going with traditional brown dye vs henna? Someone suggested on my introduction post that I could dilute the henna with cassia if I didn't want too dramatic of a result. Also, for those who have used henna vs brown hair dye how much (if any) issue have you had with the color running and color transfer onto towels or clothing?

Am getting so sick of having dark roots and continuing to damage my hair with color, and seeking a solution to solving this dilemma. Thanks in advance for any advise you may have to offer. :)

jacqueline101
August 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM
My hair did that and it was the oils I was using. My hair is lighter colored and I'm happy. Check your oils see if they cause hair to darken.

Surinecet
August 9th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I can understand your dilemma. If you went with the light brown dye once, if it faded it might be less noticeable than what you have now, creating a ombre effect from your brown roots to gradually lighter lengths. The thing with henna is you will have the same roots issue; they are quite noticeable, at least for me.

meteor
August 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Without pictures, it's difficult to imagine how bad the demarcation line is. From my experience (I highlighted my hair for many years), going from light brown to dark blonde doesn't give such horrible roots - it looks either like hair lightened by the sun or ombre style. Your roots with henna might be much more visible and strange-looking. Henna also requires upkeep and root retouching, but it's a LOT more permanent than dye.
To blend in roots with length, why not try something like honey lightening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148), cinnamon (note: it may irritate skin), catnip, lemon (note: it's drying), or even commercial products like John Frieda's Go Blonder line?

Radiant
August 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yes, I'm fearful of the henna and don't think I want to do that, especially if the roots would be just as bad and difficult to deal with due to the permanent nature.

I have tried the Go Blonder products. Like the shampoo and conditioner very much (although I've seen little to no actual lightening results from them), but the lightening spray itself worked quite well on my roots, but has caused problems for me. I used it twice, around my hairline to blend roots, and a day or two later I had red areas on my scalp, almost like little tiny scabs (gross I know), so I've decided not to use the spray again despite the good results on my roots.

I've never heard of using honey. That sounds like a great option and I'll check out the thread on that right now. Thanks very much for the suggestions.

ravenreed
August 9th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I tried henna and the color didn't flatter me at all. I dyed over it, so it wasn't a huge deal. It sounds having visible roots will be more stress than it is worth for you, and you will have the same problem with henna. I would go to a professional and have them color match to your roots and forget coloring.

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 08:04 AM
So I'm new here (2nd time posting), and seeking some advise on a hair color solution. As a child I was blonde, but my hair gradually darkened to a light brown. Two months ago I dyed my hair for the first time in about 10 years, and went with a medium blonde. The color itself is ok, although I'm not necessarily in love with it or desiring to keep it.

My roots have grown in faster and darker than I had anticipated, and I've touched them up twice already and really need to do so again as I have 1/4-1/2 inch of roots showing. I don't like this frequent upkeep, not necessarily the process of re-dyeing, but just the fact that having noticable roots REALLY bothers me, and I'd literally have to color every 2 weeks to avoid ever having any roots. I don't want to damage my hair continuously with color either.

My two main options as I see them now are to either recolor my hair to light brown (to match roots) and then leave well enough alone OR switch to henna as I would LOVE to have reddish hair. My primary concerns are that if I go with the traditional brown haircolor that it'll fade over time and/or not really match my roots, and then I'll be in the same situation I'm in now (albeit with less noticeable roots), having to recolor every few weeks just to maintain a light brown color which I have naturally and was bored with anyway.

If I go with the henna my main concerns are that it'll be too bright or unnatural for my tastes, and I'm fearful of the permanence of henna (should I be unhappy with results). I would love to have a reddish shade to my hair though, and choose to go blonde rather than red only because I had heard that red hair dye was impossible to maintain and faded so quickly.

Also, I may be weird, but I'm sort of a neat freak, and I can recall when I was younger and would dye my hair darker (from dark blonde/light brown to a dark brown) that the dye would run and stain towels etc. for several washes after coloring. With the blonde dye I've been using these past 2 months I have had absolutely no issue with this whatsoever.

What are the pros/cons of going with traditional brown dye vs henna? Someone suggested on my introduction post that I could dilute the henna with cassia if I didn't want too dramatic of a result. Also, for those who have used henna vs brown hair dye how much (if any) issue have you had with the color running and color transfer onto towels or clothing?

Am getting so sick of having dark roots and continuing to damage my hair with color, and seeking a solution to solving this dilemma. Thanks in advance for any advise you may have to offer. :)

Blonde dyes largely take away colour, darker dyes largely add it, that is why your get colour bleeding with darker colours. I would be concerned you will damage your scalp permanently dying your hair so frequently, these products are generally alkaline (skin and hair are acidic) and contain all sorts of potential allergens/ sensitisers. Have you considered a different hairstyle where your roots don't show as much? More volume, wavy or curly, no part or excessive sleekness?

The only way you will know what the shade result will be is to do strand tests on shed plughole hair, don't forget also to do skin patch tests each and every time regardless if you have used the product before without issue.

I dye my hair semi permanent red and it's actually easier to maintain than permanent red, still rich/ bright after two to four months. I use a high pigment product La Riche Directions (similar to Manic Panic), leave it on much longer than the instructions, conditioner only wash in cool water. There is some bleeding during washing afterwards, I simply have dedicated hair towels that are white so get laundered and bleached as necessary. No transfer onto clothing even tho I was warned with this shade it would be, a little onto pillow first time only. I believe that is down to haircare methods, including the way I wash, using leave in conditioner, coconut oil soaks and hydrolysed protein.

spidermom
August 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Another option would be to have a number of colored streaks applied through your hair, which would blur the grow-out line.

I tried coloring on various occasions (bleaching in high school for light blonde, henna 15-20 years ago). I always just grew it out when I didn't want to color anymore. Wide headbands, scarves, hats, and braiding ribbons into my hair really helped to make the grow-out less noticeable.

Radiant
August 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I touched up my roots today, because I didn't want to make a rushed decision as to whether to go back to brown or use henna etc. This way I can take some more time to think on it all and do further research without feeling the immediate need to do something, and hopefully I'll know what I want to do in a month or so when my roots are bad again. Very glad to have found this community. Such a wealth of knowledge here.

LaurelSpring
August 13th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Color can be such a pain! If you henna, you have to remember that the porous parts of your hair that you have been coloring will take more vibrantly than the virgin new growth parts. This will cause a problem for you. Your new growth will be a different color than what you originally get and because it will be more intense due to porosity you might not initially like it. You will still have demarcation with henna unless you go for something more subtle and do mix it with Cassia. It took me years of experimentation to get the mix I have now and there were some batches that were not so great. It would be best to start with Cassia and gradually darken the mix with henna and buxus until you get a shade that you like. I stay away from indigo because it goes black on me with just a tiny amount. My mix now to do roots is 2T Cassia, 1 tsp henna and 1 tsp buxus. I mix it with hot catnip tea. This gives me a lovely dark blonde shade. That amount is just for roots so you would have to adjust it for more hair. Again, porosity will affect the results.

Henna will stain. I have a special T shirt that I use when I henna and a towel that I use for that purpose. That is probably a good idea for any coloring.

Demarcation and fade will be a part of any chemical color because it lifts the cuticle and makes the hair more porous. As long as there is any peroxide in the mix that will happen, even with the semi permanent ones. One good thing about henna is that it will not fade and it will also make your hair shiny and strong. Chemical coloring will damage it. You will not be able to get any lift with henna only deposit. The lift will damage and cause fading.

I found that when I was coloring my hair it was a never ending battle with fade and demarcation and I got tired of it. I am very happy with my henna mix. It is subtle enough so that demarcation is hardly noticeable and it is healthy for my hair and I don't have fade. It is VERY permanent so that is why its good to start out light and do tests and experiment. I found that it was well worth the time and effort for me. Also, if you henna get the good stuff! I get mine from hennaforhair.com The cheap stuff is gritty and doesn't come close to having the results that you would want.

Hope this helps!

Buffy
August 14th, 2013, 05:07 AM
I'm clueless about henna. Much more knowledgable on hair dyes. I was a white-blonde as a kid, which has now turned into a medium/light ashy blonde.But i wanted to make it even more lighter so i dye it myself to a very light ashy blonde colour(not platinum though!).I totally understand you about the roots problem.It's annoying.
If you dye your hair brown the color will fade,but it will give you an ombre effect, not an "undyed roots" effect.Which can be really cute if that's your cup of tea. Make sure you chose an ashy brown (it should have a ".1" after the number of the dye.....for example 5.1), to avoid the warm tones while the dye fades.
I absolutely love red hair,yet as i said i'm pretty clueless about henna.I'd like to try it,but i know henna is kinda permanent and will give me hell when i decide to go back to blonde. I'm hesitant because deep down i know that blonde is "my" color and i will eventually want to come back to it. But if you're sure red is what you want, then why not?

cmbates2009
August 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
i'm scared to try henna while i'm still in the military. i have 6 years until i can really try out some mixes and find the mix i really like. I would like to find the mix of a brunette color with a highlight of red tint

stinkyfeet
August 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I don't have much to add, but I just wanted to day that I understand your frustration. Even though I have some greys, I'm scared of dying my hair because of all the damage and upkeep that is involved.

I hope you figure out a solution!