PDA

View Full Version : Tea rinses

sarahthegemini
August 9th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Hi everyone! I'm interested in trying herbal tea rinses as I read that they can really enhance shine. I did a search but could only find threads about black tea rinses as opposed to herbal (is there a difference? I wasn't sure if the principles would be the same)

Firstly, in addition to adding shine, are there any other benefits?

How often can they be done?

I'm assuming that as they are a rinse , the tea doesn't need to be followed up with a water rinse afterwards, is this right? And is it okay to follow up with a leave-in conditioner afterwards?

Thanks for any help! :)

Eta: Just realised I should have posted this in the herbal haircare section, oops :o Sorry mods!

Dorothy
August 9th, 2013, 06:53 AM
There's a catnip tea thread I just bumped to the top of the herbal section with a question. FYI. And Catnip tea you rinse, and can do it whenever you wash. It's supposed to stop splits and white dots.

YamaMaya
August 9th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I like to do a chamomile and lemon tea when my hair is feeling gunky, it really refreshes the scalp and clears up all the built up "stuff". I rinse it out afterwards as I don't want to leave lemon juice lying on my scalp. I also like to use green tea rinses for shedding, but that's not exactly "herbal" tea :p.

PrincessIdril
August 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I was doing chamomile tea rinses in the hopes of enhancing the golden undertones in my hair. It was working but I stopped doing it as it greatly increased the time required to wash my hair and I didn't have as much time.

I was doing the rinse once a week; after shampooing I applied the tea, plonked a showercap on and left it for about 15mins and then applied conditioner and rinsed as normal. I did it this way as I was paranoid that the tea would dry my hair out.

sarahthegemini
August 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check out the catnip thread :)

Mishka_84
August 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I've just started using one by Chagrin Valley (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/for-the-hair/herbal-hair-teas/). I'm considering making an infused oil instead of doing a rinse. So far, I used the detangling blend, steeped 2 cups of water and worked it through my hair after my shower. I rinsed, then poured a diluted amount over my hair that I left in. It worked fairly well, but I don't have as much slip as I would from ACV. So I may go back to ACV and follow with infused oil.

Oh, and in the archives there's an article about herbs for hair: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20085. I like that it tells you what each herb/plant is for. You can order individual herbs from a reputable dealer (I like mountainroseherbs.com personally) or be lazy like me and order from your favorite natural store. :)

melzy
August 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Black tea is good for reducing hair fall and also adds shine. Herbal teas can have benefits to your scalp and also add shine. I like to mix black tea and herbal tea together, put it through my hair and let it sit for a few minutes then rinse it out, no need to condition afterwards but it would hurt if you did want to.

ravenreed
August 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I do an herbal vinegar rinse instead of just plain ACV. I also do a catnip rinse, as well as other herbs from time to time. Lately I have been mixing nettle, horsetail, lavender, and rosemary, and letting that sit a bit before COing my hair.

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I do an herbal vinegar rinse instead of just plain ACV. I also do a catnip rinse, as well as other herbs from time to time. Lately I have been mixing nettle, horsetail, lavender, and rosemary, and letting that sit a bit before COing my hair.

How do you prepare and store your herbal vinegar rinse? I've been doing mine as a cold infusion and keeping the strained liquid in the fridge, but that whole process takes forethought, and I don't end up utilizing my herbal vinegar very often.

Adelynd
August 9th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I try to do a nettle tea rinse once a week. It has given me thicker, shinier hair. I just pour it on and leave it. No rinsing.

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I sometimes do Rooibos rinses. Seems to make my scalp feel less itchy, and highlights my red undertones, not to mention that the one I use is a vanilla rooibos so it smells very nice indeed.

Leeloo
August 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I was going to suggest catnip and black tea rinses. Catnip is for split ends and black tea to cover up some greys.

meteor
August 10th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I've tried rinses with rooibos, black, green teas, and some herbal infusion I can't remember. I just thought this stuff darkened my hair and made it more coated and tangly. Maybe it works better over the long run. I should probably experiment some more, but I don't like spending more time and energy on something that doesn't help with slip and detangling.

sarahthegemini
August 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I've ordered 2 samples - I'm thinking of using one rinse and leaving it in, and then using the other and following up with a water rinse to see which method works better. I bought them from Nightblooming's etsy, the ingredients are sage leaves, birch leaves, lavendar buds, linden blossoms and leaves.

ladylowtide
August 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM
When my roots get greasy, and I don't feel like washing my hair, I will massage rooibos tea into my hair and just leave it in until it dries. Seems to get rid of the oil and make my hair super shiny.