PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Hair Care Routine! Please help ladies! I want my hair to GROW!

KatieLou91
August 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I am a newbie and need some serious help. I am currently B.S.L and aiming for waist length. Me blonde was taken last year in August and me brunette was taken a few months later (October time).https://dub118.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=d48e71d9-ff9e-11e2-adc4-00215ad9e644&Aux=54|0|8D061C2BB83D9D0||0|0|0https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/391372_10152048047415436_1597172318_n.jpg My hair has stayed the same length to this day,but these past couple of weeks I am starting to really knuckle down and look after my hair. I was told today by a hairdresser that if I went back to my natural hair colour it would be too damaged, after doing a bleach test on my hair he wasn't impressed with the condition, so he wont do it. I am going to have to wash out the hair dye which I'm fine with but I just want my hair to be long and healthy. Below is my weekly hair care rountine. (I NO LONGER DYE OR USE HEAT ON MY HAIR and my hair is already a lot smoother). I also use oil on my ends everyday to help protect them from breakage and dryness. My hair is very thin (i/ii) 2.5 inch to be precise. Monday- shampoo wash and egg protein treatment
Tuesay - c.o wash
Wednesday - c.o wash
Thursday - c.o wash and coconut oil overnight
Friday - shampoo wash and egg protein treatment
Saturday - c.o wash
Sunday - c.o wash and coconut oil overnight. .............. Any more advice or tips on hair care to help me get it the length I have dreamed of my whole life, would be fantastic! I've never had hair longer than the lengths shown in the pictures and as a child I looked like a boy lol! If you think I should change anything in regards to the routine I am very open to any ideas. Thank you guys and can't wait to hear from you :)

YamaMaya
August 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Try to fit a clarifying in there somewhere, don't want too much oil weighing your hair down or clogging your follicles. Use diluted lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

biogirl87
August 8th, 2013, 04:12 PM
KatieLou, the only thing I could possibly suggest is to use AphoGee 2 min protein treatment or AphoGee Reconstructor Treatment instead of egg protein treatment when you do protein treatments. I've seen members here (Firefox?) say that proteins in whole food (eggs for example) don't really penetrate the hair shaft. I've heard that only gelatin penetrates hair shaft as far as whole food proteins go. You want to use hydrolyzed protein for protein treatments.

KatieLou91
August 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thank you, looking into it now. I know that it's American but I can get it from amazon.co.uk :)

knhess
August 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, the aphogee treatments have really helped the bottom half of my hair which is damaged from bleach/highlights. The treatment works well and so does the 2 minute conditioner. Definitely worth a try!

Leeloo
August 8th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I have some suggestions :waving: (hope they are not too demanding). Stop going to the hairdresser (unless you have found one that actually does what you asked for). You might be trimming off all your new length. I was doing the same thing and kept thinking why my hair is not growing any longer. Dusting, S&D and micro timing will let you keep the length and get rid of the split ends. Maybe try to stretch washing and co washing to every over day. Clarify with 3 tbsp of baking soda mixed with 3 tbsp of shampoo once a month. I’ve read here that egg protein is too big to penetrate the hair shaft so I’m not sure how much good those treatments do (but I’m not sure). I’d say do more of coconut oiling (I thought coconut oil had protein in it). And try to pre-poo with coconut oil for an hour or so. Your hair looks very pretty!

KatieLou91
August 8th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I have some suggestions :waving: (hope they are not too demanding). Stop going to the hairdresser (unless you have found one that actually does what you asked for). You might be trimming off all your new length. I was doing the same thing and kept thinking why my hair is not growing any longer. Dusting, S&D and micro timing will let you keep the length and get rid of the split ends. Maybe try to stretch washing and co washing to every over day. Clarify with 3 tbsp of baking soda mixed with 3 tbsp of shampoo once a month. I’ve read here that egg protein is too big to penetrate the hair shaft so I’m not sure how much good those treatments do (but I’m not sure). I’d say do more of coconut oiling (I thought coconut oil had protein in it). And try to pre-poo with coconut oil for an hour or so. Your hair looks very pretty!

Thank you very much, I'll defiantly start micro trimming myself :) and I'll start washing every other day. Just wondering what does the baking soda do? Does it help with the scalp?

KatieLou91
August 8th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Try to fit a clarifying in there somewhere, don't want too much oil weighing your hair down or clogging your follicles. Use diluted lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

How often should you use the apple cider vinegar? Once a week? :)

Rebbylicious
August 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
What is dusting and S&D?

melusine963
August 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
What is dusting and S&D?

S&D is short for 'search and destroy'. It means going through you hair systematically and snipping off any split ends you find with a sharp pair of scissors (they must be sharp because blunt scissors will just mash the place where you're cutting and leave damaged hair that is likely to split again immediately). Some people S&D their whole head in one sitting every few months. In my case that would take about six hours and leave me cross-eyed and cranky. Instead I split my hair into sections and S&D thoroughly over the course of a week or so. Much better for my sanity.

I believe dusting means getting the tiniest possible micro-trim, so that the ends of the hair you snip off look like dust falling. It's a way to maintain length while keeping the ends somewhat healthy.

~honeyflower~
August 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
If you don't mind, can you give us a little more detail about your hair? It might help us out figuring out what's best for you.

What specific conditioner are you using?
How does your hair feel now? Dry and brittle, wadded; like lumpy, or moisturized?
What hairtype are you? Fine, medium or coarse
What oil are you using?
Do you have hard water or soft?

jeanniet
August 8th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Clarify with 3 tbsp of baking soda mixed with 3 tbsp of shampoo once a month.

I know you read this here, Leeloo, so maybe you don't know, but it's really not good advice at all. Baking soda is very harsh. 3 tablespoons of baking soda is beyond harsh, and on hair that's already damaged could be devastating. BS can be used to clarify, although it's not the best choice, but at most use about a teaspoon. Better yet, just use a regular sulfate shampoo (and you don't need to use a whole lot--you can dilute it as well).

Clarifying should be done on an as-needed basis. For some people, that might be as often as weekly, but much less for others. I clarify very rarely because I just don't need to. Lemon juice and ACV aren't really clarifying agents, although they'll remove some residue. It's best just to use a sulfate shampoo. For that matter, if you don't use heavy cones you can probably use a low poo that contains coco betaine as the cleansing agent. Since you CO, if your conditioner doesn't seem to be building up, you may be able to avoid clarifying too often.

Eggs don't work as a protein treatment. If you want a homemade protein treatment, try this one: http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/p/science-y-hair-blog-recipes.html.

ETA: Just to add to what I mentioned about baking soda--on top of being harsh (alkaline), it's also abrasive. When mixed 50/50 with conditioner, it's not going to dissolve, so still has that abrasive quality. Think about putting something like Bon Ami cleanser in your hair, and that's not far off. If you must use baking soda as a clarifier, dilute it in warm water (a cup to a pint) and shake very well. Follow with a dilute ACV rinse.

jacqueline101
August 8th, 2013, 08:32 PM
One I'm glad you gave up heat and dying your hair. Two have you thought about a complete care routine. The best way to do that is hair typing. Find out your hair type. There are different care routines for curly hair compared to straight. If your hair is really dry stretch washes that helped mine. Use a leave in conditioner. I do agree with micro trimming as needed and search and destroy. What else I use my protein treatment the same day as my moisturizing product. I use mine once a month. You have to becareful not to get over moisturized or too much protein.

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM
If you don't mind, can you give us a little more detail about your hair? It might help us out figuring out what's best for you.

What specific conditioner are you using?
How does your hair feel now? Dry and brittle, wadded; like lumpy, or moisturized?
What hairtype are you? Fine, medium or coarse
What oil are you using?
Do you have hard water or soft?

No not at all! Need all the help I can get. Thank you for helping :)
1) I'm using a silicone free conditioner by tresemme as my hair loves it. Off to buy a sulfate free shampoo today as my hair really took to the coconut organix one I used to use.
2) the top of my hair is quite smooth, however my ends are still breaking off so id say dry and brittle.
3) I have very fine hair (i/ii) 2.5 inch circumfrence to be precise. My hair is also quite wavy. The pictures show once I've straightened it. I will upload a new picture to show how it is today.
4) coconut oil mostly on the ends. However I do someone's use olive oil mixed with a few drops of lavender oil.
5) the water where I live is soft however when I plan to move back where I come from once I've completed my degree the water is very hard so it's a mixture that I use to wash my hair as I travel back and forth every month or so to visit family.

Any protein products you could recommend. Thinking of using Lee staffords protein treatment for hair that won't grow past a certain length as I've used that before and it's great. Really helped, but it's a bit pricey. Hope this helps and any products you think are useful for my hair type I would really appreciate it.

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Any shampoo people would recommend for hair growth and for dry brittle hair (preferably something without sulphate or a low amount)? I love tresemme! Welcome to try any other brands that are available in the U.K.

woolyleprechaun
August 9th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I strongly recommend doing less to it :)
Bleached hair is fragile, and getting it wet isn't terribly helpful, even if it is to do a treatment. I suggest that you stretch washes, and wear protective hairstyles (preferably with the hair oiled). That's how I survived my bleach damage to get to waist; gentle handling, protective updos, oiling and infrequent washing. I bought a lot of headscarves, hats and bandanas and hid my oily scalp until it adjusted to being washed much less frequently.
Hope this helps! (by the way, I now wash every 5-7 days and have no greasy problems).

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I strongly recommend doing less to it :)
Bleached hair is fragile, and getting it wet isn't terribly helpful, even if it is to do a treatment. I suggest that you stretch washes, and wear protective hairstyles (preferably with the hair oiled). That's how I survived my bleach damage to get to waist; gentle handling, protective updos, oiling and infrequent washing. I bought a lot of headscarves, hats and bandanas and hid my oily scalp until it adjusted to being washed much less frequently.
Hope this helps! (by the way, I now wash every 5-7 days and have no greasy problems).

Thank you huni! I have sorted out my weekly routine so I am just washing it with shampoo twice a week and C.O washes twice a week. In between those I will just leave it.

What protective hair styles would you recommend for fine hair?

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Actually guys, I've decided to cut out C.O washing my hair in my routine, as after having a closer look even though it feels soft on my scalp and at the top of my hair, it has made my hair shed quite a lot. Looking at the ends they are very choppy and uneven. So Ill just try leaving it a day or 2 between washes.

Soltimus
August 9th, 2013, 06:49 AM
When I decided to really start growing my hair out I think I had also always been stuck at the same length as you when trying to grow it out. To be honest I didn't think it would get any longer ever! When I started this project I changed two things:

1. I stopped balling my long hair on top of my head when washing it. You know, you gather it all up on top of your hair of mess it around with the shampoo. Bad idea! It causes tangling and what have we (thank you, torrinpaige-videos). Just spread the shampoo on your scalp and massage and rub it a bit. Just from doing this I saw instant result with less tangles, less breakage etc.

2. Get a proper comb/brush/whatever. I used to be really bad at brushing my hair and the brush I had was awful. I got myself a Tangle Teezer and this, too, has helped loads.

Those two things got my hair growing longer! Only those two! I may have been lucky, but I think it says a lot about what proper treatment of your hair can do to its health. It was only later I started experimenting with different shampoos, treatments etc.

PS. My hair has hit waist just recently ;)

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 06:58 AM
When I decided to really start growing my hair out I think I had also always been stuck at the same length as you when trying to grow it out. To be honest I didn't think it would get any longer ever! When I started this project I changed two things:

1. I stopped balling my long hair on top of my head when washing it. You know, you gather it all up on top of your hair of mess it around with the shampoo. Bad idea! It causes tangling and what have we (thank you, torrinpaige-videos). Just spread the shampoo on your scalp and massage and rub it a bit. Just from doing this I saw instant result with less tangles, less breakage etc.

2. Get a proper comb/brush/whatever. I used to be really bad at brushing my hair and the brush I had was awful. I got myself a Tangle Teezer and this, too, has helped loads.

Those two things got my hair growing longer! Only those two! I may have been lucky, but I think it says a lot about what proper treatment of your hair can do to its health. It was only later I started experimenting with different shampoos, treatments etc.

PS. My hair has hit waist just recently ;)
Wow never thought about washing it a certain way but I will defiantly start washing it properly like you suggested :) although thinking about it, it does make sense as when I had hair extensions put it in, I had to wash it differently and it did grow. I don't brush or comb my hair, just finger comb it but I do own a tangle teaser for emergencies lol. Thank you :) x

spidermom
August 9th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Stay away from the baking soda! I mixed one tablespoon with shampoo as a clarifying treatment years ago, and it nearly felted my hair. I couldn't get a comb through it unless it was covered in conditioner for about 2 weeks.

I usually dilute my shampoo by shaking it up with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of warm water in a squirt bottle. I can get it all over my scalp without tangling up my hair much better with this method. Then I run my fingers over my scalp in one direction only (like combing). You might benefit from trying this. I follow washing/rinsing with conditioner massaged through the length but kept away from the scalp, then rinsed out. Then I use a leave-in, currently Renpure Originals argan oil formula. It only takes a little to make my length silky with much less tangling.

Suze2012
August 9th, 2013, 09:21 AM
As someone else said...don't get it cut at the hairdresser.
When I wanted mine to grow I just stopped going and didn't even get rid of splits to be honest. Not great I know - this was several years ago and way before I was an LHCer.

Once I did get it cut again I had a few years of just two cuts a year - just really tiny trims to get rid of the worst damage (mine is curly and I was also growing out bleach back then).

I started co washing to look after my curls - which it has done brilliantly - however - and this is a drawback for me - it now grows like crazy!
I've been co washing since May 2012 and I wash every day or every other day and overnight oil on average about twice a month (more in the beginning - and I do change it about according to what the weather is like and how it feels).

I only ever use a sulphate free shampoo after an overnight oiling and never ever use normal shampoo or anything to clarify it at all. The last time I clarified was over a year ago after I made an experimental mistake! :).

Also, one of the things I tried for co washing was Tresemme and it massively dried my hair out after a week or so so I ditched the bottle - it just didn't agree with my hair at all.

My drawback with hair growth now though where it grows like crazy - I go from only just below BSL to waist within less than three months and my aim isn't to grow it.
I am now having to visit the hairdresser four times a year instead of two.

The growth spurt in my hair only began between December and March and doesn't seem to be stopping or slowing down.

My hair obviously loves co washing and likes what I do with it but it took a while to see really significant effects for me - 8 months or so.
I also don't use heat nor combs at all and don't even let my hairdresser shampoo it - but she is allowed to comb it. :)

McFearless
August 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I would recommend cutting down on how many times you wash per week. Switching to a shampoo without sulphates should decrease sebum production if that is your issue. Other than that, I'd look towards diet for hair growth. Making sure to get enough vegetables, protein and healthy fats, that sort of thing.

jeanniet
August 9th, 2013, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=KatieLou91;2489400]
3) I have very fine hair (i/ii) 2.5 inch circumfrence to be precise. My hair is also quite wavy. The pictures show once I've straightened it. I will upload a new picture to show how it is today.[QUOTE]

Just to clarify (haha), "texture" refers to the thickness of the individual strands--fine, medium, or coarse. "Thickness" or "density" refers to the number of hairs on your head, and is usually judged by pony circumference. So i/ii is considered thin to medium thickness, but your texture could be F, M, or even C. In other words, your hair may or may not actually be fine. Does that make sense? It can affect what products you use, since fine hair can be weighed down by heavier conditioners, whereas coarse hair may be protein sensitive in some cases.

WilfredAllen
August 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
how much is your hairdresser taking off?

Also, I would be careful doing protein treatments that often, especially with coconut oil: apparently coconut oil seals proteins in. I fried my hair using a protein conditioner in combination with coconut oil. Some people do need a lot of protein (people with fine hair, I believe, and bleach/heat damage as well), but it's better to err on the side of caution IMO. Look into protein vs. moisture balance and how to tell if your hair is overload with, or lacking one or the other. There's lots of info out there on blogs and such that I couldn't explain as well as the original authors. At the first sign of a protein overload, stop the protein treatments and coconut oil (I'm pretty sure other oils are fine) until you are sure it is safe to continue. If your hair seems to be lacking protein, keep up the good work! lol (:

ps your hair is soooooo pretty and shiney!!!

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 05:29 PM
how much is your hairdresser taking off?

Also, I would be careful doing protein treatments that often, especially with coconut oil: apparently coconut oil seals proteins in. I fried my hair using a protein conditioner in combination with coconut oil. Some people do need a lot of protein (people with fine hair, I believe, and bleach/heat damage as well), but it's better to err on the side of caution IMO. Look into protein vs. moisture balance and how to tell if your hair is overload with, or lacking one or the other. There's lots of info out there on blogs and such that I couldn't explain as well as the original authors. At the first sign of a protein overload, stop the protein treatments and coconut oil (I'm pretty sure other oils are fine) until you are sure it is safe to continue. If your hair seems to be lacking protein, keep up the good work! lol (:

ps your hair is soooooo pretty and shiney!!!

my sister cuts my hair and only cuts off a small amount but im just going to start dusting it as I don't have much hair. Thanks for the protein advice. I think its just going to be a case of trial and error just to see how my hair reacts but it seems to take very well to coconut oil and it makes it very shiny hehe! Thank you very much, its not always like that lol, most of the time I look like a cave woman x

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=KatieLou91;2489400]
3) I have very fine hair (i/ii) 2.5 inch circumfrence to be precise. My hair is also quite wavy. The pictures show once I've straightened it. I will upload a new picture to show how it is today.[QUOTE]

Just to clarify (haha), "texture" refers to the thickness of the individual strands--fine, medium, or coarse. "Thickness" or "density" refers to the number of hairs on your head, and is usually judged by pony circumference. So i/ii is considered thin to medium thickness, but your texture could be F, M, or even C. In other words, your hair may or may not actually be fine. Does that make sense? It can affect what products you use, since fine hair can be weighed down by heavier conditioners, whereas coarse hair may be protein sensitive in some cases.

I have the most awkward hair! The hairs themselves are quite fine id say. I know it sounds weird but I'm not 100% whether it is considered thin or medium. And the hair overall is quite thin (i/ii) 2.5 inch circumference. Any ideas what would be better to use? x

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM
As someone else said...don't get it cut at the hairdresser.
When I wanted mine to grow I just stopped going and didn't even get rid of splits to be honest. Not great I know - this was several years ago and way before I was an LHCer.

Once I did get it cut again I had a few years of just two cuts a year - just really tiny trims to get rid of the worst damage (mine is curly and I was also growing out bleach back then).

I started co washing to look after my curls - which it has done brilliantly - however - and this is a drawback for me - it now grows like crazy!
I've been co washing since May 2012 and I wash every day or every other day and overnight oil on average about twice a month (more in the beginning - and I do change it about according to what the weather is like and how it feels).

I only ever use a sulphate free shampoo after an overnight oiling and never ever use normal shampoo or anything to clarify it at all. The last time I clarified was over a year ago after I made an experimental mistake! :).

Also, one of the things I tried for co washing was Tresemme and it massively dried my hair out after a week or so so I ditched the bottle - it just didn't agree with my hair at all.

My drawback with hair growth now though where it grows like crazy - I go from only just below BSL to waist within less than three months and my aim isn't to grow it.
I am now having to visit the hairdresser four times a year instead of two.

The growth spurt in my hair only began between December and March and doesn't seem to be stopping or slowing down.

My hair obviously loves co washing and likes what I do with it but it took a while to see really significant effects for me - 8 months or so.
I also don't use heat nor combs at all and don't even let my hairdresser shampoo it - but she is allowed to comb it. :)

Your routine sounds very similar to mine :) ive stopped C.O washing though as often as I do as it made it very soft but I shed quite a bit of hair and it made my ends very breakable. Im going to start washing it every other day instead with sulphate free shampoo. :) thank you for your comments :) x

HollyBerry5
August 9th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hiya, my hair is literally just like yours!
Length, colour, thickness/thin, damaged etc
When it's wet only comb it with a wide toothed comb, it's far less damaging. Also I use the John Freida damage repair shampoo, you can get it in boots for sure :) makes my hair feel so soft even when it's air dried :)

KatieLou91
August 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
What protective hairstyles would people recommend? At night should I platt it?

ositarosita
August 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Dumb blonde conditioner by bed head or tigi I can't remember which. It's yellow and smells delicious, it's a protein conditioner that is not as "hard core" as the aphogee line. It's the only conditioner that worked for my damaged hair. I hope this helps

norths
August 13th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Really massaging in the shampoo into the scalp increasing circulation and promoting new growth ect. I use to wash shampoo all the way to the ends but found out that it made my ends really dry. Shampoo and condition every 2-3 day with sulfate-free and cone-free. Sometime my conditioner is a bit rich and weighs it down so I'll do a vinegar rinse.
Oil treatment overnight before washing hair. every 1 or 2 weeks. I only started using coconut oil and found it makes my hair softer after washing it. Not sure about hair growth, we'll see :)

melusine963
August 13th, 2013, 07:05 PM
What protective hairstyles would people recommend? At night should I platt it?

During the day I wear my hair in any number of buns, making sure to keep them off my neck so my hair doesn't rub against my collar all day. Some quick, easy buns are:

- The Nautilus bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE)
- The Hypno bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4eyFiTRqI)
- The Celtic knot bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQAucReptY)

I plait mine at night because it's the only way to stop it from tangling too much.

KatieLou91
August 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Thank guys. My ends are very brittle and uneven from breakage at the moment but I will update with a photo soon after a trim up .