PDA

View Full Version : Cones = fast-drying hair.

Hypnotica
March 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I just tried a cone-condish for the first time in 8 months, and I'm curious about the fact that my hair dries so much faster then without cones.

Why is that...?

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I have no answer to your question (sorry) but I just found your observation interesting because I have been noticing lately that my hair dries slower than it used to. Now that you mention it, it has been doing that since I stopped using cones :confused:

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Maybe the cones keep the water from saturating your hair as much?

cuddledumplin
March 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing as icydove. I've seen car wax in shops that contains silicones, so maybe it makes the hair shrug off water the way wax makes a car repel it.

Isilme
March 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
or it locks the moisture in, since your hair is wet when you apply the conditioner.

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I guess that would make sense for it to make the water run off your hair. Maybe the cones make the water run off instead of actually soaking into your hair like it does without cones. Hmmm maybe thats why some peoples hair like cones and some dont? :confused:

Meli
March 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have no idea why either, but I'm experiencing the same thing. My hair dries slower since I quit using cones. But I don't mind - it has got some more wave as well and I think it's worth a longer drying time ;)

Delilah
March 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Mine does too- I'm going with the 'waterproofing' theory

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
That's interesting, I never would have tied my slower drying hair to my discontinuation of cones...
I kinda like being able to take my hair down after work and finding it still moist enough that I dont get that bump where it was pulled back :)

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Ditto. Way slower drying hair. And WAY fluffier.

Rosemary
March 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hmmm... now that you mention it, since I went off of cones, my hair dries much slower than it used to. And, it stays cleaner for alot longer than it did with cones as well.

Pat
March 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have to agree. Whenever I don´t use cones it takes my hair longer to dry and it stays clean for an extra day.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
mine is the same way with cones it takes about 2 hours to airdry, and without cones only about 1 hour

Roseate
October 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Really? Oooo. That almost makes me want to take a ride to 'coney island, I hate my long drying time!

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I also agree with icydove. I think when the silicones grab onto your hair, they help to form a shiny barrier on top of the surface of your hair. Because of this, less water is able to penetrate into your hair.

It is also because less water is able to penetrate into your hair that many people eventually end up with even drier hair than they had before if they continually use silicone based hair products.

clairenewcastle
October 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've found exactly the same thing since giving up cones two years ago, now I have a much slower drying time.

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
If your hair happens to dry a lot slower than it did before, I would actually think its a good thing. It means that your hair holds onto moisture well and is healthy. I definitely know that dry, damaged hair tends to dry very quickly!

RancheroTheBee
October 28th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Really? I have the opposite issue. :confused: How strange.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 29th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I just tried a cone-condish for the first time in 8 months, and I'm curious about the fact that my hair dries so much faster then without cones.

Why is that...?

My own personal theory, is that the cones coat the hair it keeps the moisture from evaporating as quickly.
I just used my coney conditioner on this really tuff spot in my canopy, and low and behold, this morning that part is still damp.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
So that would lead me to believe that if I do a dt and moisturize a lot especially on the canopy part and then used my cone conditioner on that part it, it would help it retain moisture and be less dry. True?

GlassEyes
October 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Really? I have the opposite issue. :confused: How strange.
Dittoed. Most coney conditioners make my hair dry more slowly, I think.

natt i nord
October 29th, 2009, 05:27 AM
To me it's vice versa too - it takes ages to dry with cones in it. :confused:

kittensoupnrice
October 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm so glad I read this! I was worried I was doing something wrong? :confused:
Anyway, I recently switched 'cone methods. 'Poo has no cones now, and I'm using a different cone that's much lighter than dimethicone, and I'm spraying it on my damp hair as a leave-in conditioner. Stays wet MUCH longer than when I was just using a super slick 'cone conditioner.

Loviatar
October 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Cones make my hair dry faster too. Much faster.

Vrushali
October 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Interesting :hmm:...Now that you bring it up, my hair takes all day to dry since I went no-cones. I think icydove is right. Cones form a barrier on your hair and reduce the amount of water that can get in. Hence, less drying time. Even I have found my hair to be cleaner for longer since I went no-cones.

Hypnotica
October 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I tired a new conditioner with cyclopentasiloxane low on the list of ingediense yesterday, and the drying time was about the same as for a no-cone conditioner.

Cyclopentasiloxane is a very thin and volatile cone, so that could be the reason for that.

rags
October 29th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm in the other camp too. Mine takes almost twice as long to dry with cones in it. :confused:

ericthegreat
October 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Well, I guess its different for different people.

For me, my hair also dried a lot faster when I used a coney conditioner. I do like the car wax analogy cuddledumplin made. The silicones must form a shiny finish over my hair. I think that this kind of finish makes water bounce off the hair, just like a car that has be freshly waxed.

jojo
October 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Probably because cones put like a waterproof coating on the hair, so it takes less time?

Heidi_234
October 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe because cones coat hair, so that the water that drips down the length doesn't continue to penetrate and swell the hair shafts. Like somebody said - wax for cars that make the water slide super fast, same effect. With no cones, water evaporates from the hair shafts and then more water absorbs back and evaporates again, until your hair is dry.

Bonkers57
October 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Me too, which is very nice since my scalp is oily. My hair also looks fuller when I don't use cones.

I have to agree. Whenever I donīt use cones it takes my hair longer to dry and it stays clean for an extra day.

Fethenwen
October 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe we are getting to something here... most people say that their hair dries faster, but some people state the opposite.

I wonder if those who state the opposite can handle cones better? Like for instance the cones they are using doesn't seal out as much moisture?

I'm in the dries a lot faster category, and my hair doesn't like cones.

Hypnotica
October 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
But - If you wash your hair, then put conditioner on it - you should in that case lock the moisture inside?

DMARTINEZ
October 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
But - If you wash your hair, then put conditioner on it - you should in that case lock the moisture inside?

Makes sense to me......:)

turtlelover
October 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I just used a heavy cone conditioner for the first time in awhile, and I have to admit that my hair dried MUCH faster than normal! My hair LOVES cones (w/in reason, as long as I don't GLOP them on) and feels much lighter and fluffier w/ cones than when I use more oil based products.

JCFantasy23
October 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I have no answer to your question (sorry) but I just found your observation interesting because I have been noticing lately that my hair dries slower than it used to. Now that you mention it, it has been doing that since I stopped using cones :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. My hair seems to dry slower now too and I've been cone-free for the last month.:poot:

Dolly
October 31st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe we are getting to something here... most people say that their hair dries faster, but some people state the opposite.

I wonder if those who state the opposite can handle cones better? Like for instance the cones they are using doesn't seal out as much moisture?

I'm in the dries a lot faster category, and my hair doesn't like cones.

Makes sense to me.....my hair loves cones....my hair is a MESS without them.....and it takes my hair longer to dry with them than without.....

RavennaNight
October 31st, 2009, 01:12 PM
! I noticed this just recently. My hair would be dry in an hour if I use cones. I recently went *gasp* cone-free to see what becomes, and my hair takes 3-4 hours to dry now! (so far so good, I'm still experimenting with conefree)

heatherdazy
October 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Many coney serums we sell at the salon advertise as being able to speed up hair drying time as a selling point. The manufacturers' classes I've been to have said it's because they smooth down the cuticle of the hair, both allowing better run off and tightening the diameter of each strand giving less surface area for water to cling.