PDA

View Full Version : Considering cutting my hair... Need some opinions/advice

DancingQueen
August 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
As the title say, I am considering to cut my hair. I really want it to be lang, but I miss my curls a lot these days. I love big hair, and these days, my hair just seems so flat and dull. I am not sure if it is the length that is the problem, though. But I really want more volume and curl, and if I have to sacrifice some length, well, I might actually be up for it.

I remember when I just started to let my curls out, I was around shoulder-length. I had a lot of bad hair days due to heat damage, but I had the most epic volume in my hair. I also think it would make my curls more defined. My only worry is, if I will regret it, as it have taken me forever to get to this length.

There is just one detail though: I just read the curly girl handbook, and according the this, I have actually been treating my hair like it is straight. I have given it oil-treatments, sure. But I never scrunch and plop, I just throw it up in a turban thing with my towel while I get dressed, and leave it down and airdry. I am wondering if I am actually 'stretching' out my curls, with the water and the towel? I also use a normal shampoo and conditioner routine in the shower.

I googled some before and after pictures with the CG method, and they were amazing! Some wavies turned out to be really curly! Is it possible I am actually more curly than I think I am? (I am mostly 2c, with a 'straight-ish' underlayer, and some random 3a/cockscrew curls in between). I am going to start doing the CG method as soon as I recive my products, but if I am not more curly, how can I get more voulme in my hair, without cutting it?

I really hope someone can help me. I don't want to cut, but I really want to let my curls look their best.

Shorty89
August 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I would try a full curly girl method with plopping, and maybe look up some tips on the forums. If after maybe a month you haven't liked the results then cut.

spidermom
August 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
If you decide to cut, some light layers might help; keep your length. (I'm considering this myself; I miss my wurlies.)

Kiwiwi
August 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
You could be stretching your curls.
I've seen a topic on a curly hair forum where people would post pictures and say that this is their x week doing the CG method. And you could just see with every week the curls looked better and better. Like the hair really did needed to get used to being in its natural state.

I notice on myself that it takes a few days for my curls to look nice. I always wear it 'stretched'. I shower and put it in a braid. My hair is never curly because of this. Just big, wavy. While I am 3b. But then when I do my hair the CG way my curls look alright the first day. And then I do it all again and it looks better. And by the third day of doing it again I really like the curls. I guess if I would do it for weeks I would LOVE my curls.
I do know tht layers make curls pop and look better. But I don't want layers. So I know I have less volume. But that's ok for now.

Komao
August 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Someone here gave the advice if you are unsure about hair wait 2 weeks before cutting.
I would do what Shorty89 suggested and there is a whole thread on curly hair.
Good luck :)

door72067
August 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I've seen a topic on a curly hair forum where people would post pictures and say that this is their x week doing the CG method. And you could just see with every week the curls looked better and better. Like the hair really did needed to get used to being in its natural state.

I notice on myself that it takes a few days for my curls to look nice. I always wear it 'stretched'. I shower and put it in a braid. My hair is never curly because of this. Just big, wavy. While I am 3b. But then when I do my hair the CG way my curls look alright the first day. And then I do it all again and it looks better. And by the third day of doing it again I really like the curls. I guess if I would do it for weeks I would LOVE my curls.
I do know tht layers make curls pop and look better. But I don't want layers. So I know I have less volume. But that's ok for now.

it works like that for me, as well..I almost never wear my hair in it's curly state, I usually have it up in sticks so my curls are stretched and it takes a few wash/wet cycles and treating my curls properly before they look, well, curly again

I'd say give the CG method a full-on try before committing to the scissors

Leeloo
August 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Considering that you are 2c/3a it must have taken a long time to get to your length. So I’d say give CG method a go, I think you’ll like your curls again.

DancingQueen
August 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Hmm, I didn't know it would take more than one wash to get the curls out, I guess that makes sense. I tried plopping with a cotton t-shirt today (first time ever), but I am not super-impressed. It was my first time though, so maybe I need a little more practice. :p But when you do CG, how often do you wash your hair? Do you cleanse every time, or do you just condition most times?

Edit: And are there any methods I can use in styling aside from gel, to make it look bigger?

PixieKitten
August 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I would give it a month using the CG method before you do anything involving scissors! If your hair has been used to being stretched then it will take a little while for it to be coaxed back into curling!

Beborani
August 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Plopping has never worked for me. For many years before I discovered hair on internet all I did after normal washing/conditioning was to scrunch with mousse on wet hair as taught by what I now think was a progressive hair stylist. My hair went from frizzy wispy to well-defined curls--everyone used to ask me if I had permed my hair. Back then my hair was thinner, lighter and shorter. More recently I have experimented with other methods and products and conditioner only washes, I cant say my hair's condition has improved dramatically but I do it anyway but scrunching with gel or mousse or leave in conditioner and letting it air dry or lightly with hair dryer and then air drying gives me great curls and longer hair holds it differently than than shorter but not worse though there may be an optimum length for different types of curls (I also think curl friendly haircut is important).

tiny squirrel
August 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I would give it a month using the CG method before you do anything involving scissors! If your hair has been used to being stretched then it will take a little while for it to be coaxed back into curling!

This is GREAT advice. I'm a 2a and I'm all the time treating my hair like it's straight. My under layer gets stretched until it is so straight the waves I do have on the top layer look out of place. I borrowed the CurlyGirl book from a friend, read it straight through, and tried all of the suggestions for my hair type. At APL I discovered my hair was not only very wavy but ALMOST curly. And the longer I used the CG method the more my flat hair started bouncing up. One thing I found especially helpful was the advice about not letting the shower water pull out the waves. AND i NEVER put a towel on my head. It ruined the curl and gave me frizz. Give it a good month, see what your curls can do with a little help, and if you still aren't happy try cutting. Good luck!

summergreen
August 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hope the CG methods give you the curls you want :) If your hair was damaged when it was curlier before, it might be a different texture now, so I wouldn't cut too much off at once, maybe a little at first and see if it makes any difference.

pili
August 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM
It took a good month for the CG method to really show on me. For me it was imparitive that I use a conditioner to leave-in and something to hold the curl. Gel is great, but find what works with your hair. I don't always CO was, sometimes I just massage my scalp and then due tangle with a light rinse out conditioner. When my hair was longer I would pineapple and sometimes be lucky enough to just dampen and scrunch in some conditioner. Again, find what works for you.

The cut also helps, when my hair is long and only lightly layered it stretches into waves, but layers and a V hemline gave me my curl right back. My avatar shows the long and not very layered version.

jeanniet
August 8th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I agree with Kiwiwi. First, wrapping your hair in a towel turban is very likely stretching (squashing) your curls out. If I wrap I can get my 3a/b hair to 2a/b. Second, give it at least a few weeks on CG to bring your curls back, because it does take some time. One thing I noticed when I went CG was that my curls would spring back up right away after being drenched with water in the shower, whereas before (when I treated my hair as wavy) that didn't happen. It took about a month or so for that to start, and I think it was a combination of additional moisture/conditioning and not squashing the heck out of the curl.

As far as cutting, you could look for a curly stylist to give you some light layers to bring out the curl without losing much length. I cut my hair significantly when I went CG, mostly because I have a lot of hair and really needed to be able to get it dry faster, but I didn't necessarily have to. I think I would have shown a lot of curl just with a good cut.

Vampyria
August 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Face framing layers (a bit beyond chin length) helped me with the volume problem. My hair is wavy though, but likes to pretend it's straight, so it just looks too smooth/flat in one length. And I have wide face so smooth hair just doesn't look right on me. Well I have bangs to. But this way the shorter layers aren't weighted down and have more volume around the face at least.