PDA

View Full Version : Make straight hair wavy?

angelangel
August 8th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I was wandering if there were any techniques to turn straight hair wavy permanently? My hair's barely shoulder length and I haven't had APL for years, but I expect it to be straight with one or two body waves when its longer.
I LOVE the look of wavy waist length hair and would LOVE to be able to achieve it without the hassle of constantly curling or braiding, or whatever (my style's more benign neglect)
So does anyone know of a one off way or a routine that will produce beautiful waves?

Please and thank you!!

Firefox7275
August 8th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Welcome! A weak version of a 'curly' perm, but anything that permanently alters the protein structure of hair is damaging and it will look strange as it grows out unless you keep chemical treating it. If you have 'one or two' body waves, are you sure your hair is not wavier than you think? Have you tried the Curly Girl method?

hafattack
August 8th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I second that, anything likw that is going to be damaging. I am just reaching hip with straight, fine hair and braiding gives me great waves and is very easy. It is more benign neglect that treating hair with something to make it wavy. Just braid for bed each night (protective styles! :) and in the morning when you take it out it will be nice and wavy.

browneyedsusan
August 8th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Mist hair and sleep in a sock bun?

Coolcombination
August 8th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Wet hair and braid, either an English braid or for waves all the way through try French braiding.

Anje
August 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
If you have 'one or two' body waves, are you sure your hair is not wavier than you think? Have you tried the Curly Girl method?
Seconding this, especially if the word frizz is part of your vocabulary. Try treating it like it's wavy and see what happens. There are so many people with wavy and curly hair who think theirs is straight that there's a decent chance that you can get waves just by encouraging your hair a little.

Failing that, a few french braids when it's damp will give waves all through.

ExpectoPatronum
August 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I second what people are saying about 'frizz' and straight hair. My hair is the same way. I tried the curly girl method and it really got rid of my frizz and gave me some nice waves. I've stopped using it though because it didn't quite work with my schedule but man did I have some of the best hair days while on that method.

tiny squirrel
August 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
All good suggestions here. The Curly girl method and possibly a bit of spray gel or creme gel and drying with a diffuser. Sock bun waves are also awesome. I think it's worth taking the time to encourage what natural wave you have or add in braid wave because as others have said, any kind of permanent solution will be damaging to the hair and make it more difficult to reach your waist length goal.

angelangel
August 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Thank you so much for all the suggestions

I'll definitely check out the curly girl method :p

starlamelissa
August 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I don't know why you'd want wavy hair! It's so unpredictable sometimes!!!! Ugh. But a braid helps set waves in place, whether they are real or manufactured.

lilliemer
August 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
They're not permanent but maybe rag curls or rag rolls? There are several good tutorials if you google it. It is super easy and if you only want waves, not curls, it is very fast to set up since you only have to do 2 to 4 big rolls then sleep on it, and you wake up with the curls or waves set.

Dorothy
August 9th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Not permanent, but easy - I use two cocoon curls when my hair is practically dry, one on each side, low down by my neck - this gives waves that last days.