PDA

View Full Version : intermediate hairs

mamaherrera
August 7th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I don't know if you all know what intermediate hairs are, but I know you all know your hair well!! My question is this: I always notice I shed like an average guestimage of 1-6 intermediate hairs when I wash, which are those hairs that only grow 3-4 inches long, but are way thinner than my normal hairs and a tad lighter in pigment. My husband says they probably just come from my nape because he swears I have thinner hairs like that mixed in with my thick ones at my neck. Just wondering if you all notice those kinds of hairs in your sheds?? They look sickly compared to my other hairs that are thick and dark. Which is why I'm wondering.

massivecnqstdr
August 7th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have this same experience sometimes, but no explanation. I've always thought it was a stress shed causing hairs that were not actually ready to shed to come out, thus they were shorter. From what I understand, stress sheds have a lag, so they occur a couple months after the acute stress. That's something I think I read on here, but if that's way off, please correct me! Honestly, though, it seems like more than one thing could cause what you are seeing. Maybe someone here will have some expertise on this.

Firefox7275
August 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Do they have bulbs on the end? If not they are breakage, if they do they are probably shorter finer hairs from anywhere around their hairline.

door72067
August 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I've been finding 12-13" all-silver shed hairs which somewhat disconcerting

I am growing out dye (waist length-ish now), so, in theory, any shed hairs (with bulb) should be about half & half as far as color goes

but I try not to dwell on it as it's those little things that can make one crazy (and cause more hair worries!)

mamaherrera
August 8th, 2013, 08:02 AM
No I hear ya about dwelling on those things. I find these blond hairs in my sheds at times, believe me I have whites too, but I find these blond ones, and I tell myself that they're from my daughter. They're the same exact color as hers but how they got in my shower when I wash my hair, who knows. and yes I checked, they have white bulbs. I don't mind that fact that they're only 2-4 inches long, so much as how thin they are compared to the rest of my hair. But maybe I have some super fine ones mixed in with the medium thick hairs.