PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning chemicals and damaged hair...

purrmonsterr
August 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM
My hair is already dry and damaged from excessive styling in the past but I've stopped now and I'm trying to get it back to it's natural, healthy state. The problem is that where I work I'm around a lot of cleaning chemicals such as 409, Windex, Pine-Sol and Febreze. Not only are these chemicals sprayed in the air but I also get them on my hands a lot and I have a tendency to run my fingers through my hair to tame it as it gets all crazy throughout the day or to move it out of the way, and rubber gloves aren't always an option, although I do wear them when I can. I'm worried that getting these chemicals in my hair will damage it even more and I've been wearing it up a lot more lately but that's not always an option either.

Is there some kind of product (preferably natural) that I can put in my hair that would help protect it against these harsh chemicals? Or should I just be more diligent about wearing it up and putting gloves on?

Thanks!

Leeloo
August 7th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I’d say putting your hair up and maybe covering it up with a silk scarf would definitely protect your hair. But if that’s not for you then maybe covering it with oil that would shield it from the chemicals, like jojoba. It’s not greasy and I think it sits on top of the hair.

Kaelee
August 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I’d say putting your hair up and maybe covering it up with a silk scarf would definitely protect your hair. But if that’s not for you then maybe covering it with oil that would shield it from the chemicals, like jojoba. It’s not greasy and I think it sits on top of the hair.

This. Ii used to use coconut oil.

jeanniet
August 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I would cover your hair, with something like a Buff or pony scrub. Get a few of them so you can wear a clean one every day. I think oiling your hair would help, but it's not as good as actually covering your hair up.

Firefox7275
August 8th, 2013, 06:48 AM
My hair is already dry and damaged from excessive styling in the past but I've stopped now and I'm trying to get it back to it's natural, healthy state. The problem is that where I work I'm around a lot of cleaning chemicals such as 409, Windex, Pine-Sol and Febreze. Not only are these chemicals sprayed in the air but I also get them on my hands a lot and I have a tendency to run my fingers through my hair to tame it as it gets all crazy throughout the day or to move it out of the way, and rubber gloves aren't always an option, although I do wear them when I can. I'm worried that getting these chemicals in my hair will damage it even more and I've been wearing it up a lot more lately but that's not always an option either.

Is there some kind of product (preferably natural) that I can put in my hair that would help protect it against these harsh chemicals? Or should I just be more diligent about wearing it up and putting gloves on?

Thanks!

If you keep exposing yourself to chemicals without gloves you risk eventually developing irritant or allergic contact dermatitis, that is really not fun. No product forms a complete barrier on hair, chemicals can diffuse through oils and silicones. IMO use gloves religiously and cover or tie up your hair. Disposable gloves can be easier to work with than regular rubber gloves if you are doing delicate tasks?

starlamelissa
August 8th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Rubber gloves and tie up your hair. I'm a former maid, and that's what we did. I'm still a clean freak, and I never clean with loose hair.

curlytwirlykate
August 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I switched to natural cleaning agents at home, which has vastly improved the feel of my hair and skin after cleaning (usually use just vinegar and water for everything...). HOWEVER, if you can't get away from it I'd really recommend a snood to cover your hair but still maintain your style.

And I totally second rubber gloves! I get thin, medical-style gloves at the hardware store. They're awesome!

purrmonsterr
August 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions! Disposable gloves, why didn't I think of that?! :P I just realized that I don't have anything to wrap or cover my hair with except for this old lady night cap thing I have that I wear to bed sometimes when I do overnight styles. I guess I'll need to do some Amazon shopping. :D

I totally do all natural cleaning at home, just vinegar and baking soda but I don't have a choice in products at work. Maybe I should suggest a green initiative to switch our chemicals for natural cleaners! That would help my hair AND the environment, yay!

jeanniet
August 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
A box of nitrile gloves is pretty inexpensive, and they're reasonably tough. I can even pull weeds in them.

Kaelee
August 8th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Bandannas are easy and cheap and come in a huge variety of colors. I used to wear them to work every day, but I don't anymore, now that I have styles that are better at keeping my hair back.

HumanBean
August 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yup - bandannas at the craft store.