PDA

View Full Version : Freshly dyed condition...without the dye

DragonLady
September 1st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Many years ago, I dyed my shoulder lenght hair black. It was supposed to be temporary, and wash out in a few shampoos. It did not. I ended up having to touch it up constantly, and it ultimately really damaged my hair. Because it was so dark, I tried to re-dye it my natural brown, but that didn't really work, and I finally cut it.

When I first dyed it, I loved the condition! It was suddenly thick and not fly-away like normal. It behaved! I only knew how to do a couple of styles, but think I could've learned more just because my hair was so strong, cooperative and so luscious and lustrous.

I'd like to have that condition back. But I don't want to dye it. I put this here because I'd like to find a natural routine, but will use a product as long as it doesn't have any permanent ill-effects.

I would try henna, as I've read so many nice things about it strenthening hair and keeping it moist, but am not real nuts about going red. I might not mind...but I don't want to anything only to be stuck again. I don't want to touch-up something I don't like, I don't want to look like I'm covering my gray (I like my gray), and I don't want to feel like I'm committed to a regimen I may not be able to maintain over a long term. I want to keep my hair, and so the last thing I want to do is cut it again because I did something foolish.

Any suggestions? I like my hair better since finding LHC than I ever did before, but I still feel like that first week after I dyed it was some kind of gold standard for what could be. I can't really describe it, other than to say that for a few days I had my own dream hair. And I've always regretted that it didn't last and came as a side effect to something I didn't really like. :(

teela1978
September 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Are you sure it was the dye that was making your hair feel thicker? I have a theory that the uber coney conditioner is actually what makes hair feel so nice after hairdye. I realize its not natural, but perhaps a cone-laden conditioner once in a while would give you that same feeling.

DragonLady
September 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've wondered, too. But I have no idea where to get conditioner like that without buying the dye.

The cone-y stuff I stopped using since I came here just seemed to give me knots and nasties. But maybe something stronger would work differently.

Iylivarae
September 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
You could also try out a cassia treatment, which has kind of the same effects as henna, but doesn't dye the hair. You wouldn't be stuck with anything... but I also think teela could be right, conditioners can do such things.

Edit: You could also see if you can find out the ingredients of said conditioner and then see if you find another one with almost similar ingredients?

DragonLady
September 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure what cassia is? I thought it was a bleach? Or a dye like henna?

intothemist1999
September 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
I would try henna, as I've read so many nice things about it strenthening hair and keeping it moist, but am not real nuts about going red. I might not mind...but I don't want to anything only to be stuck again. I don't want to touch-up something I don't like, I don't want to look like I'm covering my gray (I like my gray), and I don't want to feel like I'm committed to a regimen I may not be able to maintain over a long term. I want to keep my hair, and so the last thing I want to do is cut it again because I did something foolish.
e.

Rubbing my hands in anticipation because I REALLY want to see the replies! :) Honestly, I could have written all this! I hate, hate, having to "maintain" a cut or colour...hence my growing my hair out straight (with the very rare trim).

The one thing that has really improved my hair TONS is going CO ("conditioner only" - you can check the thread on that), and in my case with a shampoo & cond. once a week or so, especially in the hot weather.

A few years ago I used Herbatint's (http://www.herbatint.co.uk/) temporary colour (Vegetal (http://www.herbatint.co.uk/herbatint/about/vegital-colour-chart.php)) and really liked it. I would LOVE to go for the permanent colour, but I just ABHOR the idea of having to touch it up.

Like you, I like my greys, so made sure to not cover them when I used it (most of my greys are at my temples).

How about teas rinses? I don't know that they will *help* the condition of the hair, but it wouldn't damage them like a dye might. There maybe be info in the Articles section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php).

Isilme
September 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.mehandi.com/hair/cassiaobovata.html can colour grey hair and I if I remember correctly Silver & Gold had it permanently dye her silvers golden. It shouldn't be permanent on most people. Try a nice deep treatment with cones, I'm sure it will give you the same feeling.
ETA. I know some companies makes clear glosses, which is a shine treatment much like colour, but without colour. Just check to be sure they don't contain peroxide or ammonia!

DragonLady
September 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
The one thing that has really improved my hair TONS is going CO ("conditioner only" - you can check the thread on that), and in my case with a shampoo & cond. once a week or so, especially in the hot weather.

Yes; I've been CO'ing once a week, and love it. It has really helped with the ends of my hair. They still split like crazy but aren't nearly as straggly and fly-away as they were.

spidermom
September 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I used a conditioner while on vacation called L'Oreal Vive, the moisturizing formula. Not only did my hair love it, so did my hands. I think it comes in L'Oreal dyes, but the color-treated formula instead of the moisturizing.

plainjanegirl
September 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Clairol now sells their conditioner that comes in their boxed dyes separatley...look it up online.
I haven't tried it yet.

racheal1234
September 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
i like the conditioner loreal has with there dye when i used to dye my hair black the conditioner was amazing

DragonLady
September 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think it was a L'Oreal dye I used. Am not sure, but sure I didn't like having to do touch-ups. :(

If I could just buy the conditioner, I'd love to try it just to see if that was where the magic was.

Anje
September 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
My DH has commented that his hair feels thicker after dye, too, and I don't know that he used the conditioner that came in the box. So I don't think it's your imagination.

Definitely try cassia, if you can deal with the fact that your gray hairs may turn golden. It's an herb like henna, but it only deposits a light yellow color that should be nearly invisible on all but white, silver, and platinum hair.

Curlsgirl
September 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Way back when I started dying my hair (actually it was hairpainting) I loved how my hair felt, thicker and more body than without it. When the highlights were cut out I really missed that and kept doing it not so much because I liked the highlights then but because I liked the way my hair felt. It definitely was the dye. I haven't stopped dying since. I don't have any suggestions but I hope you find the answer!

Iylivarae
September 2nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure what cassia is? I thought it was a bleach? Or a dye like henna?

It is kind of a colourless dye, if that makes sense. It works like henna, but you won't colour your hair. It doesn't bleach, as far as I know, but I think there could also be minor problems if you want to dye with chemical colours afterwards - but I think you didn't want to do that anymore, so that could be something that works? At least I always have a lot of body when I henna...(ed).

Kuchen
September 2nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I too used to appreciate the apricotty Garnier conditioner I got with my dye!

I seem to remember Dancing Barefoot saying ages ago that she had been able to get a vat of dye-box conditioner somewhere. Maybe a Sally's?

Curlsgirl
September 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Sally's does sell a conditioner I used to like called "Feria conditioner". It's a lot like the box stuff. It's very thick and creamy. It's in a white tube and next to where the color products are. It's like the one they put in the Loreal "Feria" color box dye.

detritus
September 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hair actually is thicker after dyeing because permanent hair dye lifts the cuticle to add dye molecules into the hair. The cuticle smooths down somewhat afterwards, but not completely. I've actually had hairdressers recommend dyeing my fine hair simply to add volume.

Shampoo bars also give my hair tons of volume. You might want to try those.