PDA

View Full Version : Hair up vs Hair Down: Why?

DBBramble
August 7th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I know this sounds like a poll but it's not. I want to know why having one's hair up is seen as a good thing for hair health when it seems like down would be better. Less strain verses having it braided & tied, twisted & clipped, or bun & pinned. I've been thinking over this for a couple of days now. With a job on the horizon, I want to make sure my hair is out of the way (It's just inbetween bra straps & bra band length at the longest point) but I don't want to put unnecessary strain on it.

So thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Notes: It will be a while before I can buy pretty things like hair sticks. I don't use metal ended ties. I do use waves copper blonde/brown bobbypins. Also, never dip the ends of your hair in coconut oil. My hair loved it..but its taking forever to wash out. lol

*hugs*

Bramble

PS: Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

MeganE
August 7th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Honestly I think it depends on your hair type, and how you are wearing it up. There are certainly updos that are more damaging for my hair than wearing it down. It also depends on how and where you wear it down. In my case, anything that restrains my hair is preferable if it's windy or I'm being active. Even a braid, which normally I don't wear because of the mechanical damage from the ties would be preferable. It's all about knowing your hair, and knowing what causes mechanical damage in your hair, and reducing it as much as possible. Whenever I'm out and about, a simple bun with protective pins is by far the least damaging way of having long hair. I don't think there's any way to have long hair and incur zero damage on it, so it's about reducing it as much as possible.

(And if you use shampoo, you can try applying it to the ends to get the coconut oil out. Whenever I dip my hair in coconut oil, I have to use a lot of strong shampoo to get it out. I don't do it very often, and the coconut oil still leaves its conditioning behind even though I've used shampoo on the ends.)

SerinaDaith
August 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
It depends on the day I guess. Today was going to be a hair up day but since I am a curly and we actually have rain/humidity going any updo I do will likely end up poofy I will probably do a french headband braid to keep it out of my face. Most days I wear it up because it is long enough now that it gets pinned between me and chairs or wind makes it a mess or it tries to tangle up in straps, seat belts and anything else it can get it's tendrils wrapped around. Getting it caught and ripped out by the roots seems to be more damaging/painful to me.

Mindy
August 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I wear my hair up to protect it from mechanical damage. If it were down, it would get more tangles, creating the need for more potentially damaging combing/brushing. It would be subjected to more friction rubbing against chair backs, purse straps, etc. And it would be more likely to get caught in something, causing breakage. (I have accidentally shut my hair in cabinets and car doors when it was down.)

Usually it's in a bun held with a hair stick, sometimes braided. Since I started wearing it up, my ends are dramatically healthier. I haven't seen a split end or fairy knot in months.

Anje
August 7th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Flaxen always used to compare hair up vs down to a flag being kept folded vs being placed out to flap in the wind. After a few months or years, the folded flag still is pristine, while the loose flag starts to fray and get tattered, especially along the end farthest away from where it's secured.

The major difference for me with securing my hair vs leaving it loose comes down to tangles. Loose hair will form little tangles and knots, even mild ones, that need to be undone. Those tangles cause kinks and sometimes splits, which then are more likely to retangle hair. Loose hair also seems to be an amazing lint and catfuzz collecting device, and I find bits of these in the middle of a lot of my fiercer knots. When I have my hair bunned or braided, it isn't tangling at all, which means it gets less wear and tear when I do my before-bed combout.

Certainly, stress on the hair is worth considering. It's unwise to bun or braid extremely tightly, especially when your hair is wet and therefore stretchy. Not only is the tension bad for the length of the hair, but it can be hard on the follicle, even resulting in a form of hairloss called traction alopecia. But doing styles that tight HURTS, and it requires clearly pulling on your hair and stretching it. Very easy to avoid. My hair is on the fragile side and it would never have gotten as long as it is in such nice condition if I didn't contain it most days, both because the containing protects hair (hence the term protective styling around here) and because it prevents me from getting mad at my hair and from setting it on fire (very real occupational hazard, here).

DBBramble
August 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Thank you Megan! I know there are various factors to take into consideration. I'm just having to work with a different and shorter hair type then I'm use to at the moment. So far buns & pins don't seem to be a problem. My hair isn't quite long enough to do a proper braid(I can do a baby one so that's something I suppose). I don't usually wear my hair in a ponytail very often either but when I do I try my best not to tie it more than need me to keep my hair in place.

I had to wash my ends out with shampoo last night. I thought I had gotten it all out the previous night...nope. Trial and Error though. It's not like I've left bleach on my hair for too long or anything..just a bit more shampoo and the knowledge to go easy on the oil next time.

Thank you Serina, Mindy, & Anje for your thoughts as well.

Looks like the answer so far is: a loose bun or braid. I do twist my hair when I put it in a bun. But just enough for it it turn when I put it against the back of my head then I tuck the ends under and pin. Maybe 4 pins max to hold it in place for the day.

Killahkurlz
August 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I know this sounds like a poll but it's not. I want to know why having one's hair up is seen as a good thing for hair health when it seems like down would be better. Less strain verses having it braided & tied, twisted & clipped, or bun & pinned. I've been thinking over this for a couple of days now. With a job on the horizon, I want to make sure my hair is out of the way (It's just inbetween bra straps & bra band length at the longest point) but I don't want to put unnecessary strain on it.

Notes: It will be a while before I can buy pretty things like hair sticks. I don't use metal ended ties. I do use waves copper blonde/brown bobbypins. Also, never dip the ends of your hair in coconut oil. My hair loved it..but its taking forever to wash out. lol

*hugs*

Bramble

well for my texture, having my hair off my shoulders is best especially with medium length hair because it keeps my ends from rubbing on my clothes which creates friction possibly leading to split ends. Also it keeps my hair from snagging on cotton chairs, getting stuck on things, etc. So basically I'm trying to avoid hair trims as much as possible. Also, when I wear my hair down, my hair loses moisture more quickly because of the elements.

spidermom
August 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Hair up: out of my way and off my neck.

Hair down: all over the place, in my way, getting snagged on various things, getting burned on the stove if I'm not careful, not to mention shed hairs in food. Bleh!

kitschy
August 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
My hair texture makes it very difficult to separate my strands into braids and updos. Since I don't comb or brush my hair at all while it is worn down, and since I get pretty good growth retention of about 5 inches a year, I would say that for my hair wearing it down is probably the most protective style, but that's just for me - your mileage may vary.

heidi w.
August 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
#1: don't dip your hair in coconut oil. That is NOT the way to oil it. First it's too much oil, and you only end up with a mess.
#2: Use coconut oil (unscented expeller pressed) AFTER hair is fully washed, cleaned and dried. Then take a tiny bit and dampen the palms of your hands and put it in already detangled hair from the ears down. You don't need it on the scalp as this invokes a lot of problems such as oiliness. And people wonder why is my hair oily?

Wear hair up to protect the length and especially the ends. Tuck those in a bun under it. It works, I promise.

That is hair wisdom 102.
heidi w.

Firefox7275
August 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM

*hugs*

Bramble

Use a cheap lightweight silicone and oil free conditioner (Suave Naturals, V05, Inecto, Tresemme Naturals) to get the excess coconut oil out rather than shampoo. Slather it on, massage in until you work up a light 'lather', leave to soak, rinse with more massage, repeat if necessary.

Tie your hair up loosely not tight so you are not stressing or stretching the hair, use really gentle inexpensive holders such as satin ribbons or scrunchies, Spin Pins, fabric head bands. From personal experience even 'no snag' elastics are damaging. You are looking to protect the most vulnerable sections - the ends - from catching or rubbing on clothing, chair fabric, car seat belt, purse strap etc. Also from tangling in the wind or being damaged by sunlight or damage from being brushed/ combed repeatedly through the day.

VixenWolfMare
August 7th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I found that updos make my hair grow flatter :/. my hair is now tbl and i have had people ask me if it is sorter than it use to be. (i had bsl) I dont really mind that much as long as it keeps growing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404440_2740185176722_975456458_n.jpg
Hair down 100% of the time

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/550302_10200500722853491_1158096524_n.jpg
current

Braiding hair every night loosely help prevent so many tangles its not even funny. Trust me do it for like a month you will never go back. I use satin hair ties and for the thinner hair ties i use ones without metal that strech a lot. when you do any kind of up do it is important that you do not feel pain of any kind. it should stay up nice and firm but should not give you a head ache.

Mindy
August 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I found that updos make my hair grow flatter.

How long is your hair in the first pic? Your hair growing more flat is probably not from wearing it up. A more likely culprit would be the additional weight from added length. If I wear a high bun or top knot, I have a ton of volume when I take it down.

chen bao jun
August 7th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Some people can get away with wearing their hair down for some time. These are the people you see around who always wear their hair loose and it is still a nice looking waist length, or even a little longer--thick full ends and so forth. I think they are relatively few, though, which is why everyone thinks that waist length is genetics and impossible for most. Because most have to cut their hair way before that to have it looking nice if its always hanging down and wearing away from mechanical damage.
I would have no hope of waist length if I wore my hair down all the time or even most of the time, even though its crazy thick and looks very strong. Never got it past bra strap top before, stretched. But its more than an inch past that now and humming along...
Roundabout way of saying, it depends on your hair AND your goal.

Kaelee
August 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
for me, I'm just now getting to a length where I can wear it down without it getting caught in everything. Between collar and about BSL, it would get caught in collars, purse straps, seatbelts...now I can pull it over one shoulder and out of the way, and it stays there! So I'm more likely to wear it down now.

I'm still more comfortable with it up. Getting snagged/caught in things is the main one for me, and also tangles.

KittyBird
August 7th, 2013, 11:09 AM
For me, it's way more damaging to wear it down. If it's in a bun it doesn't tangle, get caught in everything or rub against my clothes, and I don't accidentally rip off strands. I always make sure that my buns are comfortable and not tight, and I insert the sticks and forks carefully. I like wearing my hair down occasionally, for example if I'm out with friends, but it's only down for a few hours at a time. At this length, it's simply too annoying to wear it down much.

I could certainly get away with wearing it down all the time, if I only wanted to maintain at waist/hip, but I'm going for terminal, so protective styles is the thing for me :cool:

Leeloo
August 7th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I love to wear my hair down, but it gets tangled and get a lot of mechanical damage from rubbing on my clothes, so I try to have it up as much as possible.

dulce
August 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
My hair is tailbone and cut in a layered v.I wear it down and loose 90% of the time and sleep with it loose,I used to use a silk cap to sleep and used to wear it up more,this last year I decided to just let it be and for me,I found it has made no difference.So try both ways and see if it makes a difference for you,it may or may not.To avoid mechanical damage if I'm in a chair or car,I drape it over my shoulder to hang in the front.

DBBramble
August 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I can be bull headed sometimes...this is one of those times. Live and learn is the only thing I got for it when it comes to the oil.

As far as the rest. Thank you all! ^___^

nobeltonya
August 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I only generally wear my hair up if there's a risk of catching it on something or it getting in the way.. when I'm sleeping, outside if it's windy, hot or cold. I only braid it wet b/c the ends stick together dry and I only comb it wet.. otherwise I wear it down as much as possible. There is a lot less stress on my scalp also, b/c wearing it up for too long pulls and is uncomfortable. :disco:

Beborani
August 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Dulce you are my hair inspiration. I think our hair are similar enough to be worn in this style though mine is shorter. I am happy to see it can be worn loose even at tailbone. Wearing it up for a long time hurts my scalp as my hair gets thicker and braids dont looks pretty enough, so curly-clumpy and down works most of the time.

Sharysa
August 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Notes: It will be a while before I can buy pretty things like hair sticks. I don't use metal ended ties. I do use waves copper blonde/brown bobbypins. Also, never dip the ends of your hair in coconut oil. My hair loved it..but its taking forever to wash out.

Hair down: Awesome for a couple hours, but then it starts tangling up and eventually breaking off, so I have to keep running my hands through it every ten minutes. It also gets in the way if I'm doing ANYTHING that's not staying in the house where I can keep an eye on it. My hair's just a couple inches away from waist length, judging by how it almost reaches my elbows when it's down.

Hair braided: It stays out of the way and stable, and I only have to redo my braid a couple times a day. I tend to play with my hair a lot because I have too much energy, but it's nowhere near as much of a hassle as leaving it down and needing to detangle it every ten minutes.

And then if I leave it down instead of braided when I sleep, it turns into a bird's nest and takes twice as long to detangle than it would if I kept it braided. Seriously: If my hair's in pigtails when I sleep, it only takes ten minutes to comb my hair and put it back into a braid. If my hair's loose when I sleep, it takes twenty minutes to go through every single snarl before I can even think of braiding my hair.

jeanniet
August 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Flaxen always used to compare hair up vs down to a flag being kept folded vs being placed out to flap in the wind. After a few months or years, the folded flag still is pristine, while the loose flag starts to fray and get tattered, especially along the end farthest away from where it's secured.

Oh, man, if you could see my neighbor's flag you'd totally get this comparison. He leaves it out day and night, all weather (lots of wind) until it's in complete tatters, then puts up a new one until it's destroyed, etc. The current one is in shreds and it's just awful to see. Translate that to hair, and updos make a lot of sense.

AmyBeth
August 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
When I was younger I almost always wore it down and it never got much past waist length and the ends were painfully tattered. Since finding LHC and learning to wear it up most of the time, my hair is growing faster and looks healthier than ever in my life. I'm approaching the longest length I've ever achieved and the ends are still thick and healthy. Taking advantage of the collective wisdom of LHC, which includes protective styling, I'm sure my hair will get longer than ever!

jacqueline101
August 7th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I wear mine up because it's in the way if I don't. It gets caught in things.

spidermom
August 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Conditioner truly does seem to remove oil better than shampoo. I generally wait until the hair near my scalp is oily, then I oil the rest with maybe 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil well massaged and well combed through my hair, then braided. I wash/condition my hair the next day, and the conditioner on the length of my hair does a good job of removing the coconut oil in the length of my hair.

But note how long my hair is and how little of it I use. For most of us, oil is worth using for the silkiness and shine that it gives hair.

Panth
August 7th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Because, for me, hair down every day = artificial terminal at tailbone length. Hair up every day = a couple of inches from knee and still going. So, for me, it's quite simple: up is "healthier".

As for the how - it's likely a combination of tangles and rubbing the ends. Hair loose on me = massive tangles within an hour or two. This results in damage when detangling, resulting in hair breaking and/or being pulled out, plus the cuticle being damaged. Also, the rubbing of the ends (particularly around classic and beyond, when you start to be able to sit on it) results (on my hair) in the ends being physically rubbed off as fast as the hair grows.

catamonica
August 7th, 2013, 04:52 PM
In 2011 I started wearing a low braided bun. My hair went from waist to 1 1/2 inch above tailbone. I have no split ends. It's always wavy. On weekends I wear it down. My hair has to breath. And it feel's great to wear it down. By keeping it up, five days a week, it stays in good condition. And when you do wear it down, after awhile you notice that your hair has gotten longer.

MandyBeth
August 7th, 2013, 05:16 PM
My daughter has the long hair and she's half monkey, so elbow length curly hair allowed to roam loose on her means major knots and damage.

But this is the same child who learned to headbang of sorts from Lacuna Coil videos (whips her hair in circles), so she can manage that in just a ponytail without excessive damage.

ExpectoPatronum
August 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
My hair isn't quite long enough to be annoying yet, so I wear it down a lot of the time. I do put it up in a bun if I'm going outside (it's usually windy where I live), when I go to bed, and if I decide to exercise. Other than that, my hair is usually down. I like hiding behind it too much to keep it up all the time :couch:

Anne10
August 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I wear mine up because it is fine and thin. If I leave it down I'm constantly leaning back against it, messing with it, moving it from one shoulder to the other. The ends get mercilessly rubbed on chair backs and car seats and my hair tangles in even a little wind. That's all really tough on my hair.

If I braid it or put it up in a bun or even just clip it up loosely it receives far less wear and tear throughout the day. I try to remember to put it up in different ways and different places and use different hair toys so it doesn't get pulled the same way every day. Gentleness is the key.

Carolyn
August 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I have various reasons for choosing to wear it up or down on any given day. I live in a windy climate so if it's a windy day my hair is bunned or in a single braid. It's too damaging to undo the mess from wearing it down in the wind. If I wear it down it's likely to be a day when I am going out to lunch with friends or going shopping. Of course it has to be washed that morning or it can't be worn down. If it's hot I wear it in a bun most of the time. It's much cooler and looks much better. Sweaty hair in a bun is a much nicer look than sweaty hair sticking to my face and neck. I think buns protect the ends from mechanical damage. I can use oil or extra leave in on the ends before I bun it for more protection.

DancingGirl
August 7th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I found that updos make my hair grow flatter :/. my hair is now tbl and i have had people ask me if it is sorter than it use to be. (i had bsl) I dont really mind that much as long as it keeps growing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404440_2740185176722_975456458_n.jpg
Hair down 100% of the time

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/550302_10200500722853491_1158096524_n.jpg
current

Braiding hair every night loosely help prevent so many tangles its not even funny. Trust me do it for like a month you will never go back. I use satin hair ties and for the thinner hair ties i use ones without metal that strech a lot. when you do any kind of up do it is important that you do not feel pain of any kind. it should stay up nice and firm but should not give you a head ache.
Nice Dalek:D

trolleypup
August 7th, 2013, 08:07 PM

The major difference for me with securing my hair vs leaving it loose comes down to tangles. Loose hair will form little tangles and knots, even mild ones, that need to be undone. Those tangles cause kinks and sometimes splits, which then are more likely to retangle hair. Loose hair also seems to be an amazing lint and catfuzz collecting device, and I find bits of these in the middle of a lot of my fiercer knots. When I have my hair bunned or braided, it isn't tangling at all, which means it gets less wear and tear when I do my before-bed combout.

Certainly, stress on the hair is worth considering. It's unwise to bun or braid extremely tightly, especially when your hair is wet and therefore stretchy. Not only is the tension bad for the length of the hair, but it can be hard on the follicle, even resulting in a form of hairloss called traction alopecia. But doing styles that tight HURTS, and it requires clearly pulling on your hair and stretching it. Very easy to avoid. My hair is on the fragile side and it would never have gotten as long as it is in such nice condition if I didn't contain it most days, both because the containing protects hair (hence the term protective styling around here) and because it prevents me from getting mad at my hair and from setting it on fire (very real occupational hazard, here).
Not really anything to add to this.

My everyday bun is low tension and self secured...it usually works its way loose once or twice a day. Even if I don't detangle between bunnings (for days, I'm sooo lazy) it stays decently detangled for a long time. If my hair is down, I'll need to do a detangle after a few hours of not doing much. If I am going to be active, hair down is asking for dreadlocks in short order in the underlayer and copious difficult tangles elsewhere in the length! If I am active with my hair up or (for extended periods (backpacking)) in a pony scrub, when it is released, it is smooth and untangled.

Yes, I wear it down from time to time and accept the tangles and damage.

alexis917
August 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I wear my hair up every day because I have a tendency to mess with my hair out of boredom/anxiety.
This is my version of benign neglect, I suppose!

DinaAG
August 8th, 2013, 12:05 AM
for me wearing my hear up protected its ends but at the same time caused breakage from the middle of it and a receding hairline even though i dont pull it tight but just my hair couldnt stand the weight of all of it together and however i change the bun, braid place it cause a breakage at its main loose twist places so now for around a month i am leaving it down again while i am awake or asleep, really cant find a proper solution :(

spirals
August 8th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Can I vote for neither? (I can't figure it out.)

down: I don't have to comb or brush, so that eliminates the major source of my mechanical damage. And it doesn't usually get caught on things or pulled. But it's so annoying! It tries to eat my face. And it does tangle by the end of the day. So if I have to comb before braiding for bed, mechanical damage.

up: I have to detangle in the morning before putting it up because even when it's in a braid at night, it still tangles close to my scalp because I toss and turn so much. The detangling causes breakage. I do prefer up because I like all kinds of braids and toys, and it's out of my way.

But as far a protecting it, up or down doesn't seem to matter because my hair tangles if you look at it wrong. And that necessiates combing/brushing, which perpetuates the cycle. I guess my false terminal is waist, and it will probably stay there. At least I hit my original goal.

LadyCelestina
August 8th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Can I vote for neither? (I can't figure it out.)

down: I don't have to comb or brush, so that eliminates the major source of my mechanical damage. And it doesn't usually get caught on things or pulled. But it's so annoying! It tries to eat my face. And it does tangle by the end of the day. So if I have to comb before braiding for bed, mechanical damage.

up: I have to detangle in the morning before putting it up because even when it's in a braid at night, it still tangles close to my scalp because I toss and turn so much. The detangling causes breakage. I do prefer up because I like all kinds of braids and toys, and it's out of my way.

But as far a protecting it, up or down doesn't seem to matter because my hair tangles if you look at it wrong. And that necessiates combing/brushing, which perpetuates the cycle. I guess my false terminal is waist, and it will probably stay there. At least I hit my original goal.
OT,I am sorry,but spirals,is there a way we could be hair twins? This sounds exactly like my hair :D

SongofLove
August 8th, 2013, 04:44 AM
My hair is terribly tangle-prone---it will get tangled like a few minutes after loosening it. And depending on how bad the tangles are, it can take a long time (like an hour) to completely detangle. So ever since BSL or so I've been keeping it in a braid pretty much all the time. For a long time I couldn't get the hang of making buns, and even after I was able to bun, I had a hard time making buns that didn't either fall apart (my hair is also really slippery) or hurt (from being too tight or pulling in weird places). So I still just wore braids all the time. Which was nice but my hair still manages to tangle terribly even in braids, especially after sleeping. So to reduce tangling I had to comb twice a day pretty much.

Recently though (seems the longer my hair gets the better it behaves) I've been able to make hair buns that don't pull or fall apart (still have to braid first though because silly slippery hair) and I am so relieved because it just makes everything so much easier and more comfortable in the summer heat. Plus, most of the reason I wanted long hair in the first place is because I love the look of updos!

But yeah, for my hair at least, keeping it up prevents tangling and rubbing against surfaces and so is much less damaging than having it down (whether in braids or loose). I detangle and comb my hair in the morning, braid it and put it up for the day, and at night I just take the bun down and sleep in the braid, then repeat the next morning. It's a nice simple hair routine that seems to reduce tangles for me :)

chen bao jun
August 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Once I heard hair compared to either nylon stocking or tights. Some people have hair like nylon stockings, prone to snag, ladder or run. some people have hair like tights, can be destroyed but takes a lot longer and lot more roughness. But sometimes I have been able to preserve nylon stockings for a long time, even as much as a year or two, taking them carefully on and off, never wearing with boots, watching where I put my legs and washing very gently. this is how I think of trying to get my hair past BSL. No point in envying people who have hair like tights--and I don't think its easy for them to understand having hair that you need to treat with great care, because they've never had to...