PDA

View Full Version : Hair mask question

qijino1236
August 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM
I have never done a hair mask...this youtube video of a avocado banana hair mask has a ton of positive votes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4oRzX_4Xk

And I was thinking of doing this since I have frizzy tangled hair.

But I thought I'd ask LHC if you all would recommend this hair mask or doing a hair mask at all before going ahead and doing?

I searched LHC for the words hair mask and not a lot came up....maybe I'm not using LHC's search engine right though.

sisi33
August 7th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I am just basing this off of he avocado/banana thing, but I'm thinking that this would be pretty hard to was out. (Also, I would rather eat them!) Have you tried out an SMT yet? Or done a damp hair/ coconut oil/ aloe/ coconut oil/ wrap deep treatment yet? Other than it being difficult to wash out, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work- I just don't know how well.

Firefox7275
August 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I have never done a hair mask...this youtube video of a avocado banana hair mask has a ton of positive votes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4oRzX_4Xk

And I was thinking of doing this since I have frizzy tangled hair.

But I thought I'd ask LHC if you all would recommend this hair mask or doing a hair mask at all before going ahead and doing?

I searched LHC for the words hair mask and not a lot came up....maybe I'm not using LHC's search engine right though.

I don't see the logic in applying whole produce to hair since much of the actives are 'locked' inside the cell walls, plus both fruits oxidise/ go brown really fast once mashed or blended. The active in avocado is the fatty acid oleic acid, in the banana presumably the sugars (a humectant). It is scientifically proven that both oleic acid and lauric acid (coconut oil) can penetrate the hair: the studies applied to dry hair, leaving between overnight and twenty four hours.

Egg protein is too large to penetrate the hair, it's more likely the egg yolk is supplying yet more oils/ fats (rich in oleic acid, saturated fatty acids, cholesterol/ lecithin), hydrolysed protein is small enough to penetrate and the only rich food source is gelatin. Try 'deep conditioner' or 'deep treatment' as your search terms using the advanced search function.

Are all your ingredients/ products working with your hair properties (coarseness/ porosity), are you considering the water quality and dew points/ humidity? Do you need to clarify or chelate? If your hair is frizzy that is invariably hidden wave or curl, are you working with your curl pattern or using standard haircare techniques and products aimed at straight hair?

qijino1236
August 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I am just basing this off of he avocado/banana thing, but I'm thinking that this would be pretty hard to was out. (Also, I would rather eat them!) Have you tried out an SMT yet? Or done a damp hair/ coconut oil/ aloe/ coconut oil/ wrap deep treatment yet? Other than it being difficult to wash out, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work- I just don't know how well.

I looked up SMT conditioning and found this....

Figured we should get basic directions for an SMT up, since noobies tend to get directed to it quite often. This isn't my recipe -- LHCer Snowymoon came up with it, and it's a great moisture treatment that many of us swear by.

SMT Recipe
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

Heat in the microwave for a few seconds til it's warm, then apply to wet or dry hair (especially the ends). Cover hair with a shower cap/shopping bag/clingy food wrap/whatever, and let it sit for as long as you can stand it (30 minutes to overnight). Rinse out, do not shampoo.

A few notes:

Conditioners work best when they have minimal protein. Many people also avoid conditioners with silicone compounds for this. (I haven't experimented with protein ones, so that's word-of-mouth. I think protein-containing conditioners are likely to give lumpy, blobby results.)
No, the honey shouldn't leave your hair sticky. Try it with the honey first.
Aloe gels should be free of alcohols and numbing agents. Usually, the clear ones (as opposed to the green and blue ones) are best in this regard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would be a good conditioner without silicone?
Is this the SMT Technique you are referring to?
I heard honey lightens the hair and I'm really not interested in lightening the hair, but if lightening is minimal and there is other benefits I might try it.
The only other oil treatment I have done is extra virgin olive oil hair treatment.

This is what the youtube poster said + a site with steps on how to make a hair mask( http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Hair-Mask ) said about each ingredient
Egg - eggs have protein which strengthens the hair that make have been damaged
From the WH link - commonly used due to their high levels of protein and other nutrients, eggs are good for strengthening the hair and hair follicles meaning that they are ideal for damaged hair

Banana - Banana are full of vitamins, which makes your hair more manageable, healthier, hydrated and also controls dandruff
From the WH link - rich in vitamins and oils, especially good for improving hair elasticity, therefore preventing split ends and breakage, and also good for dandruff.

Avacado - Contain minerals and Vitamin B and E, which helps with hair growth and also conditions and moisturizes
From the WH link - avocado is one of natures greatest moisturisers, packed full of vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin E and B vitamins, and it's natural oils will give your hair the moisture it's lacking.

Olive oil - Does great things for dry hair....olive oil easily penetrates hair and nourishes, conditions and improves the elasticity of hair
From the WH link - this has been used for centuries for hair and skin moisturisation as it is nourishing and strengthening, perfect for dry and damaged hair!

I mostly was interested in this video, because afterwards

1. some of the ingredients are supposed improve the elasticity of your hair...and I have been getting lately what I think is known as "breakage"(hairs coming off without having the roots AKA broke in half)...I have never had my hair this long before
2. the many moisturizing ingredients since I have dry hair
3. the banana is supposed to get rid of itching dandruffy hair which I have
4. Split-Ends or tangles....In the video before she put the deep conditioning ingredients in her hair she could not run her hands through her hair but afterwards she could

to sisi33 refering to the thing you said about being difficult to washout....It says in the video to make sure to blend the bananas and avocados(combined w/ the egg and olive oil) extremely thoroughly with a blender until extremely liquid-y....there should be absolutely no chunks before putting it in your hair

to Firefox7275 in regard to the quote about it going brown quickly...
"I don't see the logic in applying whole produce to hair since much of the actives are 'locked' inside the cell walls, plus both fruits oxidise/ go brown really fast once mashed or blended".....
This deep conditioning method is supposed to stay in your hair for ONLY 20-30 minutes and then it is to be washed out of your hair and shampooed and conditioned according to the video so I don't think it will go brown that quickly.

....Also thank you for the advice on what to search for through the advanced search function

Q - Are all your ingredients/ products working with your hair properties (coarseness/ porosity)?
I think I sort of explained that with the 4 reasons why I wanted to use the banana/avacado/olive oil/egg deep conditioning treatment.
Q - are you considering the water quality and dew points/ humidity?
Never considered that...what would I do to find that out? ...different sensors to purchase?
Q - Do you need to clarify or chelate?
I used baking soda to clarify once...I forgot exactly what happened because it was like 2-3 years ago but I don't think it really helped my hair...not sure though.
Do you have a good recommended clarifying shampoo?
What is chelating?
Q - If your hair is frizzy that is invariably hidden wave or curl, are you working with your curl pattern or using standard haircare techniques and products aimed at straight hair?
I'm trying to get straight hair.

Firefox - "Egg protein is too large to penetrate the hair, it's more likely the egg yolk is supplying yet more oils/ fats (rich in oleic acid, saturated fatty acids, cholesterol/ lecithin), hydrolysed protein is small enough to penetrate and the only rich food source is gelatin"

All I heard about eggs is that it is supposed to strengthen your hair which like since I am getting breakage
As for gelatin....the WH link suggested gelatin also. This is what they said about it:
"If allowed to set on hair, unflavored gelatin can provide a protective protein coating to the hair. Combine with water, vinegar, and a humectant, and deep condition afterwards for best results. ".....
I'm kind of scared of putting gelatin in my hair with liquid though...sounds sticky. :) :confused:

Thanks for all the helpful information

one more thing... has anyone used neutrogena triple moisture hair mask?
http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-triple-moisture-hair-mask-set-3-pack/-/A-14542299?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|14542299&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=14542299&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14542299&gclid=CL2SptLk67gCFabm7Aod41oABQ

Leeloo
August 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I used to do masks like that and my hair felt moisturized and kinda oily afterwards. After joining LHC I started concentrating on hot coconut oil treatments and herbal rinses though.