PDA

View Full Version : Temporary red hair gloss?

umbrellabones
August 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
So I've been looking around, but I havent found a whole lot of info on this. Basically I want a red tint in my hair, nothing too drastic. I dont want to mess with henna just yet, but I dont want anything damaging.I was thinking of using manic panic, perhaps in vampire red, but I'm not sure what I can do with it to achieve a red tint. I have virgin dark brown hair, but I'm fairly sure using it full strength would still give me more color than I desire.

Is there a way to successfully dilute manic panic to make some kind of hair gloss? Or is there a better temporary dye option that I'm overlooking?

I would love to hear any and all ideas or experiences(:

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM
How porous is your hair? If it's low porosity you may not get anywhere near as much colour as you think from a short full strength application, especially on dark hair. If you have highly porous hair you may get a dark colour relatively quickly, not necessarily a bright one.

You can dilute with a really basic conditioner but that will actually reduce surface adherence since the fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants may 'compete' for surface binding sites not necessarily reduce penetration. The really strong/ rich/ bright colours you see generally come from applying over persulphate bleached or peroxided hair and using a process time of some hours (I do two but did four the first time, over a weak peroxide only box dye).

Best thing to do is run strand tests with shed plughole hair, then on your head, you may want full strength closer to the roots and diluted closer to the ends, or different process time for each. Also check out galleries on the Manic Panic website and here http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/ Also check out Google Images, you will find people dying over virgin hair telling you how long they processed to get the result.

spidermom
August 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Directions for a product like Manic Panic say to start with clean hair that has no conditioner. I had to wash my hair three times before I could tell there was no more conditioner in it. I think conditioner prevents the color from being able to stick to your hair.

My hair stylist applied a temporary color gloss to my hair last Saturday (a coppery red; you might have seen my thread showing results). But my hair is so light that it shows color easily.

Why not try just one streak that is easy to hide of full strength color to see what your results will be?

umbrellabones
August 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Good idea, I guess I really shouldnt be concerned with diluting it yet without knowing how it will look undiluted

LaFlor
August 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I use red semi permanent dye every once in a while on my hair. I'm not sure where you live, but I like the semi permanent dyes they sell at Sally's (they sell 2-3 different brands, I've tried 2 of them). They wash out of my hair in about 2 weeks and don't look too crazy. The good thing is that they sell a few different tones of red, so you could go for more of a purple based darker red or a brighter truer red. I'm not 100% how they would work on darker hair (on my hair they show up true to color, but I imagine on darker hair they just give off a subtle tint), but for around $5 it doesn't hurt to try!

HylianGirl
August 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Many poeple get pastel colours using manic panic type of dyes diluted with white conditioner, the colour of the mixture should look a bit darker than what you want on bleached hair. I don't know the proportion would work on unbleached hair, but I'd try going that route.

This videos explains how to mix it with the conditioner, but I coudn't find one made on natural hair colors....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgo_hUE4BQ