PDA

View Full Version : bald = ugly?

hannabiss
August 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Well that's what a family at the grocery store thought they'd inform me. As some of you know I shaved my head so I can begin my long hair journey freshlast and healthy. The lady behind me in line looked concerned when she seen a young woman bald with 3 kids. I must have cancer. I informed her no I choose to do this. She proceeded to tell me how ugly it is for a women to be bald. I told her if u think I am ugly long hair will not change your mind. If people wouldn't make bald out to be ugly people who loose their hair wouldn't have to feel so bad. Of course most have a connection to hair. But no one should feel ugly.

millyaulait
August 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Wow, that's so rude! :mad:

CharleaMurphy
August 6th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately there are rude people like her in the world and we stumble into them occasionally. You have a beautiful face so not to worry :)

neko_kawaii
August 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Everyone I know, including myself, who went bald by choice felt it quite liberating to be separate themselves from a major symbol of femininity. Hair does not make me female, hair does not make me beautiful.

I did freak out the one paranoid lady on the bus, but that was pure hilarity.

Anje
August 6th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Wow. Wonder if she says that to chemotherapy patients too?

emilyann
August 6th, 2013, 09:33 AM
That is extremely rude!

I had a friend in college who was a wig model that chose to be bald for many years. She is gorgeous! I'll tell you how to find her, although you may not want to for certain reasons: google "Erin Sheehan Virginia Tech", and you will find interviews that she did after surviving the shootings. There are men all over the internet who saved her bald-headed pictures because they thought she was the hottest thing they'd ever seen. Seriously!

I can't stand that people assume cancer when they see a bald woman. Bald is beautiful. It is also awesomely brave to do and that alone is worth ten times more than beauty, anyway.

SweetBronze
August 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
You should have told her how ugly it is for her to talk to strangers like that in public and that you really shouldn't come up to people you don't know like that and question them. It's really none her business if you have cancer or not, she doesn't know you.

frodolaughs
August 6th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Fortunately, most people aren't so rude or narrow-minded! Such behavior doesn't merit notice or one single ounce of brain energy.

PrincessBob
August 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM
That isn't just rude, it is presumptuous. You are not here to decorate her world. This is also something I struggle with when friends comment that such and such a guy is going bald, and them belittle said guy for insisting on growing out his remaining hair long. It does no harm, so why bring it up? If they don't like it, then they shouldn't do it, but surely they must realize that they aren't entitled to be surrounded by only people who act, dress and wear their hair in ways they approve of. That would make a pretty boring world if you ask me.

I have known a large number of bald women over the years, really, a lot of them. I never thought they were ugly for it, but I did marvel at the shapes of their heads, something I never really would have noticed with more hair. I often wonder what my head shape would be if I didn't have it coated in hair.

I didn't really think it suited my sister, but It was a very sudden change when it happened, she was pregnant and had come down with Mononucleosis, so she was bedridden and then she got lice from a friend who came to see her and that was the last straw, away went the hair, she had sores on her bare scalp and sunken eyes from the bugs and the illness, and a weird round thinness from the baby plus the illness and I think that is what made her being bald look so wrong to me.

LadyCelestina
August 6th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Ouch,that's rude.

I am annoyed with all these "it is ugly for a woman to do X,it is awful for a man to do Y with their hair".
The last time I checked,your gender wasn't decided by your hair or lack of it.If you dislike a hairstyle,fine,please proceed to dislike it in silence .

MadameV
August 6th, 2013, 10:00 AM
. If people wouldn't make bald out to be ugly people who loose their hair wouldn't have to feel so bad. Of course most have a connection to hair. But no one should feel ugly.

This. I remember thinking this exactly after I shaved my head. If it was more accepted, it might be much less traumatic for those who have to go through it unwillingly. Combine that with what neko_kawaii said, and by the time my hair grew back I was pretty well convinced that being bald for a few months once in your life ought to be mandatory. I see the world as a little less black and white now (I was mental at 19. I'll say it.) but it's still something I would strongly recommend to every woman everywhere.

Especially the rude ones.

Kaelee
August 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Well that's what a family at the grocery store thought they'd inform me. As some of you know I shaved my head so I can begin my long hair journey freshlast and healthy. The lady behind me in line looked concerned when she seen a young woman bald with 3 kids. I must have cancer. I informed her no I choose to do this. She proceeded to tell me how ugly it is for a women to be bald. I told her if u think I am ugly long hair will not change your mind. If people wouldn't make bald out to be ugly people who loose their hair wouldn't have to feel so bad. Of course most have a connection to hair. But no one should feel ugly.

Noooo, bald is not ugly! Bald gives you the awesome ability to glue rhinestones to your head! Bald is awesome! ;)

Seriously, I've seen so many beautiful women (and men!) rocking the bald look.

Tristania
August 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I've seen plenty of bald women that looked very attractive. I've also seen plenty of unattractive long-haired women. It all depends on the person.

pili
August 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
True beauty is on the inside and has nothing to do with your physical appearance. Long, short, gone. It does not matter. Some people just can't seem to understand that their opinion does not matter to someone who does not know them. I wouldn't even say that to someone I know!

Leeloo
August 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I like how you told that lady off. Good for you. And heck no, bold does not equal ugly at all. As far as I’m concerned people who make comments like that are pretty ugly.

Leeloo
August 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Noooo, bald is not ugly! Bald gives you the awesome ability to glue rhinestones to your head! Bald is awesome! ;)

That is funny!

Vrindi
August 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Well, the bald makes you ugly theory is obviously broken, because it didn't work for you!

I've never, ever equated baldness on women with being ugly. Never. And unless someone actually looks sick, I've never equated it with illness either.

Kiwiwi
August 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Wow, I am amazed by this.
Not only did she tell you you are ugly (in her eyes). She did so in front of your kids! How dare she?

I would have told her that her behaviour is much uglier than any person can ever be physically.

Who gives a damn about her opinion? Who does she think she is? Trying to make you feel bad in front of your children. Cos I guess that was her purpose. Why else would you tell a person you completely don't know that you think they're ugly? Not to compliment them, not to make conversation. No, to hurt them.
Well, I'm glad it didn't hurt you but it must've not been nice anyway.

jeanniet
August 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I think going bald would be very freeing, and imagine the wonderful feel of the breeze on your head! Maybe some day I'll do it.

Bald is ugly; long hair is ugly; short hair is ugly; being old is ugly. Might as well do what you want and be ugly. :rolleyes:

Tori Angeli
August 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I was just thinking the other day how weird it really is to tolerate an overgrowth of thousands of tiny bits of keratin from your head, then groom it and take pride in it.

You rock that bald dignity and keep being gorgeous, girl.

jacqueline101
August 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
That's beyond rude.

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM
not her business. You can actually have opinions that you keep to yourself in the interest of civility--I don't know why this fact escapes so many people.
My personal answer is that, like everything else, it depends on the person's features how they look bald. But beauty or lack thereof does not give you value as a human being.

Lady Mary
August 6th, 2013, 11:14 AM
That's ridiculous. Bald chicks are adorable, known fact! Don't listen to them, you look great.

Temme
August 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I suspect she has her own insecurities about herself and felt the need to put you down to build herself up. Don't worry about her.

Skade
August 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
When I read about comments like this, I am always surprised about how rude people can be...

massivecnqstdr
August 6th, 2013, 11:59 AM
When my hair was buzzed short, I gleaned all kinds of rude comments. I have to say, regrettably, it did wear me down! I grew it to a girlier pixie for awhile after that. I have since thrown my middle finger up at people and their obnoxious ideas about gender.

ravenreed
August 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I will confess, I find bald folks terribly attractive. Male, female, doesn't matter...

leslissocool
August 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Wow. Wonder if she says that to chemotherapy patients too?

Yup, that's beyond cruel. How is it OK to say it to you but not to someone sick? Because you chose it? what if my mother/sister/daughter/best friend/son/ husband had cancer and I shaved it for them? Gah the double standards!

I will confess, I find bald folks terribly attractive. Male, female, doesn't matter...

Lex Luthor from Smallville. I watched some of the show just because of him :lol:.

My friend has lupus along with other autoimmune diseases. She's been struggling. This is the most gorgeous girl I know, looks like a model, perfect face and body (fitness trainer, think ripped even after 2 kids) , and she shaved her head because her hair was thinning. She still looks amazing, and she looks so freaking edgy. She has a mohawk now (a small one, her sons have them too). She looks more feminine than I do. I really dare anyone say she's "ugly" because she really isn't, her head even is perfect! So don't listen to them. I see in your avatar, you look quite stunning if you ask me.

hannabiss
August 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I felt so very liberated the day I shave my head. of course I don't think being bald is ugly. It was her word choice. Of course I plan to grow out my hair hip length is my goal I think but yeah women are beautiful long hair short hair bald or fro. :)

Komao
August 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM

You are far from ugly. I think she has an ugly personality to voice that ugliness. Some people take freedom of speech out of context and just use it to shoot off their big mouths:rant:

faellen
August 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Sinead O'Connor, Natalie Portman, Jessie J... All look beautiful bald! :p

spidermom
August 6th, 2013, 02:09 PM
No, ugly is starting a conversation that ends in telling someone else he/she is ugly.

akilina
August 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Aww what a bitch. Pardon my French....

I mean, how I feel has already been said here but this woman is clearly extremely ugly on the inside...far far worse than ever being "ugly" (which you are not).

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM

So it's her business that a complete stranger might have a very private medical condition, and thinks that same complete stranger need to be told that/ care that/ will somehow have a better day because she finds the look unattractive?? Was she raised in the gutter with no manners or social graces whatsoever?

Your hair will grow and you will look even more beautiful, she is ugly and narrow minded inside and likely to remain so.

lapushka
August 6th, 2013, 03:00 PM
So it's okay to be bald when you are sick or have cancer, but it's not okay to be bald because you chose to be? That lady should have kept her opinion to herself. I agree, in front of children especially. Not done!

HylianGirl
August 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Geez, how rude! As if she were the most beautiful and flawless woman in the world

xohbihitztix
August 6th, 2013, 06:18 PM
From the sound of it, she was ugly on the INSIDE and that kind of "ugly" is hard to fix. :rolleyes: If she has the audacity to insult a stranger, then I doubt many people enjoy her company, anyway. You are beautiful bald, and even more beautiful because you had the courage to shave your head in the first place and the confidence to rock it in public! :thumbsup:

Thinthondiel
August 6th, 2013, 06:20 PM
How incredibly rude.

I don't think bald = ugly at all! Of course, the bald look doesn't suit absolutely everyone, but there are a lot of people, male and female, who look absolutely fantastic with a shaved head.

I'm planning on dyeing my hair blue pretty soon, and I'm kinda tempted to shave it off when I want to go back to my normal colour afterwards, rather than just wait until it's grown out enough that I can cut it into a virgin pixie. I'm a bit worried I might not have the head shape for it, though. :p

trolleypup
August 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM

If you stop at rhinestones! They could probably call polkadots and crop circles ugly too.

I've seen plenty of bald women that looked very attractive. I've also seen plenty of unattractive long-haired women. It all depends on the person.
You know what they say..."Ugly goes all the way to the core." Which she proved when she opened her mouth.

I'll just say that bald can be as interesting as long!

trolleypup
August 6th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'm planning on dyeing my hair blue pretty soon, and I'm kinda tempted to shave it off when I want to go back to my normal colour afterwards, rather than just wait until it's grown out enough that I can cut it into a virgin pixie. I'm a bit worried I might not have the head shape for it, though. :p
If you glue enough sparklies on, noone will notice what shape your head is!

clioariane
August 7th, 2013, 03:17 AM
wow incredibly rude and uncalled for. hair (or lack of it) does not make someone 'ugly', but their attitude does.

Silver Sister
August 7th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Re: Baldness

Beauty is in the eye (and mind) of the beholder; she clearly had an ugly mind to allow a spew of garbage out of her mouth

qijino1236
August 7th, 2013, 03:36 AM
bald on women = not ugly
bald on men = not ugly
bald = not ugly
facial hair on men = not ugly
facial hair on women = not ugly
facial hair = not ugly
no facial hair on women = not ugly
no facial hair on men = not ugly
no facial hair = not ugly
armpit hair on men = not ugly
armpit hair on women = not ugly
armpit hair = not ugly
shaved legs on women = not ugly
shaved legs on men = not ugly
shaved legs = not ugly
unshaved legs on women = not ugly
unshaved legs on men = not ugly
unshaved legs = not ugly
shaved body on men = not ugly
shaved body on women = not ugly
shaved body = not ugly
unshaved body on men = not ugly
unshaved body on women = not ugly
unshaved body = not ugly
nail polish on men = not ugly
nail polish on women = not ugly
nail polish = not ugly
makeup on women = not ugly
makeup on men = not ugly
makeup = not ugly
no makeup on men = not ugly
no makeup on women = no ugly
no makeup = not ugly
man in dress = not ugly
woman in dress = not ugly
dress = not ugly
man with hair accessories = not ugly
woman with hair accessories = not ugly
hair accessories = not ugly
long hair on men = not ugly
long hair on women = not ugly
long hair = not ugly

lady in line who called you ugly = ugly

Ms. Jaunty
August 7th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I've shaved my head a number of times, because I thought it would look awesome and be easy to care for. And it was! Good for you.

I found it funny/appalling when people said things like ''you're cute, you'll look okay bald'' or ''you're thin, so you can shave your head,'' ---- as if you have to live up to THEIR ideal of beautiful before you're ALLOWED to cut your hair! It says a lot about our culture. To be honest, I've felt a little uncomfortable on these boards because there's so much dismissal of short hair, so it's great to see so many readers rallying around you and your striking new look!

Buffy
August 7th, 2013, 04:47 AM
That was extremely rude!! Jeez, people can be so rude it makes me wanna punch them.

On the other hand , you have to admit that a female shaving off her hair by choice is very very rare...so it doesn't surprise me that she'd think that, no offence, but it's quite a logical connection someone might make. Of course she should have kept her stupid opinion for herself and not offend you like that.
If you care about my personal opinion you have a beautiful face and i think this haircut makes you look cute and very youthful!! It suits you.

ChristmasFnatic
August 7th, 2013, 05:01 AM
For myself, yes. I feel so ugly and naked being bald, or even short hair!

Ex asked me to cut it short and I really really feel bad about it. NEVER AGAIN!

Killahkurlz
August 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I know I personally felt unattractive when I cut all my hair off. I wasn't use to seeing my entire face. It did however help me grow to appreciate my facial features and my self confidence has definitely grown since cutting my hair.

Wildcat Diva
August 7th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I bet if your had told her you shaved your head and donated to your hair to Locks of Love she'd have had been all excited about you.

whatawitch!

catamonica
August 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I would have said I'm regrowing my hair to get it in better condition. But it's not your business. And you
have a pretty face.

mz_butterfly
August 7th, 2013, 11:57 PM
You can and will grow your hair, she will never have a clue.

I am appalled that anyone, let alone a stranger, would feel the need to tell you that you are ugly, and to your face!

I would have had to tell her a few choice words and then maybe she would think twice about the next stranger she decided to give her unwanted opinion to.

AnqeIicDemise
August 8th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Bah.. to be bald on purpose takes such chutzpa its friggin' sexy as all hell. I seriously can't do it and if I were to do such a thing, it'd be super friggin' important to pick up the clippers and just bald it. Seriously.

I for one, find bald ladies super attractive. Don't let some bitter woman fool you. ^.-