PDA

View Full Version : What to replace Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner with? Any suggestions?

pili
August 5th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Yeah, so I am trying not to be a bother to everyone on here, but I have searched and searched here and on naturallycurly.com forums for a new conditioner (in addition to info on all the OTHER issues I am having!) and now I am just going to ask. What is a good replacement for Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner? It was my HG product and now it does not work. My hair is in such bad shape now that I am even willing to go for something with cones.

I loved, loved, loved Nature's Gate waaaaaaay back when they had the original formula. I heard they changed the formula recently, yet again, but I don't know what it is.

For background I have mostly 2c/C/iii (5 in.) hair. It hates proteins. I have used a coney serum with good results in the past (got my hair longest like that). I live in a sub-tropical climate, and I cannot figure out if my hair likes humectants or not. Plus, the water here is horribly hard (calcium).

I would LOVE something like the original NG herbal conditioner, but I don't know if anything like that exists.
These were the original ingredients:

Water Extracts of Chamomile, Nettles, Ho-Lien Hua, Nelumbo Nucifera, Comfrey Root, Cherry Bark, Schleichera Trijuga, Kusambi Bark, Burdock, and Yucca Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Coconut Oil, Methylparaben Oil of Myrrh, Oil of Lavender.

ETA: I started using GVP Conditioning Balm, but was told that the humectants would not be good in this climate for my hair type.

Khiwanean
August 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Trader Joe's has a line of conditioners with some similar ingredients, even if they're not the same. I haven't tried them, but these two have good reviews online (ingredient lists also found online):

Nourish Spa: Purified water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit citrus, Tocopherol (Vit E), Acetamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance

Tea Tree Tingle: Water, *Tea Tree Oil, *Peppermint Oil, *Eucalyptus Oil, *Nettle Oil, *Thyme Oil, Birch Leaf Oil, *Chamomile Oil, *Clary, *Coltsfoot Leave, *Yarrow Oil, *Mallow, *Horsetail Oil, *Soybean Protein, Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived) *organic

What is the Tressemme Naturals Conditioner doing to your hair now? It might help us point you in the right direction and I'm also curious because I still use it.

Lorisal
August 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
What is a good replacement for Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner? It was my HG product and now it does not work. My hair is in such bad shape now that I am even willing to go for something with cones.

Have you tried using a clarifying shampoo or using some other means to clarify your hair? The reason why I ask is because for some people, when a conditioner no longer works, it is because of buildup on the hair.

Plus, the water here is horribly hard (calcium).
If hard water is a problem, you could try using a chelating shampoo.

hafattack
August 5th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I replaced Naturals with Garnier Fructis Hyra Recharge. It may not be as natural/herbal as you're looking for but it is cone free and I have had a great experience with it.

marymonster
August 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I really like shea moisture's restorative conditioner, and kinky curly knot today condish/detangler. My hair's curlier than yours, but my hair loved tresseme naturals for a time, I just couldn't stand the smell. Hopefully this was helpful in some way. :)

pili
August 5th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Khiwanean: Ugh! We moved away from a TJs and have none here. They are building one. Now it can't come too soon!

Lorisal: I've done both of those and neither worked. I had not used a shampoo in a decade before moving here, I've shampoo'd twice since we came here, but that is not helping. My just feels stripped now.

hafattack and marymonster: Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Tori Angeli
August 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I'm looking for a replacement, too, since I stay away from a couple of the preservatives the new formula includes. I'm stocked up on the old formula for now, but I've been looking at this condish (http://www.amazon.com/Pearnormal-Activity-Conditioner-gud-12-Liquid/dp/B009NVFBQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375750722&sr=8-3&keywords=gud+conditioner) (it's priced a lot better at Target than at Amazon) which has a pretty good ingredients list. Might be something to check out. No cones or protein.

Silverbrumby
August 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'd go back to cones as for some here on the LHC it works best. I love the Garnier anti frizz shampoo and conditioners. I tried garnier hydra shampoo and conditioners and they were dreadful. My hair fizzed to the max as nf it turns out hydrating shampood and cond. Can do that to some curly girls. You could switch to tresummes anti frizz shampoos and conditioners and see it they help.

pili
August 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I may end up doing that...

pili
August 5th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I may just have to start looking at the tightly curly method. I did it before, but I don't know if it didn't work due to the lack of cones or because I'm a 2c.

~honeyflower~
August 5th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I secound clarifying shampoo to reset your hair whenever mine feels crunchy and dry, I do this once a month. If you think your protein and cone sensitive I found a list of conditioners and shampoos furthermore I checked on the LHC protein free and cone free list to make sure.

Conditioners
•Aubrey Organics
-honeysuckle rose
-white camila

•Burts Bee's super shiny grapefruit and sugarbeet

•Suave Naturals
-waterfall mist
-lavandar
-mango peach
-juicy green apple
-fresh mountain strawberry
-aloe
-cucumber melon

•White Rain
-extra body
-ocean mist

Shampoo

•Avalon
-Tree tea mint treatment
-Awapuhi mango

Hope this helps,

pili
August 5th, 2013, 09:52 PM
The weird thing is that I'm not cone sensitive. The best combo was the NGO Herbal conditioner and Biosilk Silk Therapy. When they discontinued the old NG formula, I went cone free.

Silverbrumby
August 6th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Go back to it and see if it works. Lots of folks here use cones.

The weird thing is that I'm not cone sensitive. The best combo was the NGO Herbal conditioner and Biosilk Silk Therapy. When they discontinued the old NG formula, I went cone free.

pili
August 6th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I'm going to try this this morning. The issue is that the Tresemme provided amazing slip for my hair. I could use it without a styler! Now I'm back to square one trying to find a conditioner that works. I used the Tresemme for a year with no problem until the bottle I now have. Within a few days my hair was getting frizz it didn't have before. I don't think it was build-up. I really do think it was the from the formula change. I'm going to keep with the GVP because I am not made of money, but I may add back in the BioSilk.

pili
August 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Update: Used the detangled with Suave Naturals, rinsed, raked GVP Conditioning Balm in as a leave in, then smoothed/scrunched in BioSilk Silk Therapy. My hair takes an insane amount of time to dry, but so far, so good. Curlier than normal (was humid today). There is still a patch of frizz in the back, but that's not unusual for me. The biggest thing is that it does not feel brittle! It is still on the dry side, but it does not feel like straw! YAY!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5720&d=1375809611

ETA: Still half wet. Next time I need to try skip curling it like in my sig. pic. That's how I do my "fancy" dress-up hair while it's too short to put up. Also, lighting is weird. I do not have ombre hair.

CoveredByLove
July 21st, 2017, 08:47 PM
*BUMP!*

Bumping this old thread to see what past Tresemme Naturals fans are now using and loving. I had a mega stash of it. I used it every time I washed my hair...that is, up until I found out it was discontinued. So, I then only used it for deep conditioning (I add honey to it, its awesome!). My last bottle is almost gone. :cry: I've been using Suave Waterlily + honey to do this instead, and it's "ok". Not great.

Any recommendations? Must be protein free. Cones are "iffy" for me. I like them mainly in the winter.

dryxi
July 23rd, 2017, 06:53 PM
I LOVED Tresemme Naturals. My stores seemed to run out of it much faster than the rest of the country, so I've been making do with TheraNeem Gentle Therape conditioner. I don't like it nearly as much. It's more expensive, it takes a lot more conditioner to accomplish the same goal (I cowash), and it doesn't make my hair feel nearly as nice. If you're in a pinch, you might pick up a bottle and try it.

likelikepenny
July 23rd, 2017, 08:31 PM
Tresseme Perfectly Undone is really good.

esfand
July 23rd, 2017, 11:34 PM
For curlies (and everyone in general), Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration conditioner works very well! It's silicone based, if you are concerned. My hair loves cones.

leayellena
July 24th, 2017, 03:19 AM
https://www.lidl.com/products?category=OCI3000322&sort=productAtoZ

Cherriezzzzz
July 24th, 2017, 04:16 AM
Calia intensive conditioner (online) is natural ingredients and cone free, feria conditioner from sallys has the great slip bc it's for after coloring the hair!

Crystawni
July 24th, 2017, 04:27 AM
My replacement, mentioned elsewhere on the boards (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136663&p=3398561&viewfull=1#post3398561), is TRESEMMÉ Botanique Restore & Shine.

Ingredients:

WATER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, STEARAMIDOPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF JUICE POWDER, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) FRUIT EXTRACT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 20, POTASSIUM SORBATE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, FRAGRANCE.

lapushka
July 24th, 2017, 04:53 AM
https://www.lidl.com/products?category=OCI3000322&sort=productAtoZ

These products can be different depending on where you are in the world. I have an Aldi/Lidl thread if you want to take a peak at that. ;)