PDA

View Full Version : Another new member

erinlesley09
August 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hi everyone!

I found the LHC forums through a Pinterest link to a heat-less curls tutorial. After browsing through the forums for a couple of days, I decided to join. I'm still learning my way around, but I figured this was a good place to start posting.

A little bit about me/my hair...

My name is Erin, and I'm 26 years old. When I was growing up, I had really long hair--never trimmed until I was 5/6 years old, it was below my waist. I decided I wanted short hair and had it in stages: shoulder length at 7 years old, "bowl cut" at 9. Around age 12/13 I decided to let my hair grow again, except for my bangs. Since then, my hair has been shoulder length or longer, with and without layers. About 6 years ago I decided to grow out my straight-across bangs, but only made it to eye-length side-swept ones.

My hair has never been dyed, permed, or otherwise chemically altered. I tried not to overdo it with heat tools, but my bangs did get a fair amount of abuse from the curling iron in an effort to get them to look presentable.

After having done maintenance trims on my bangs for years, I started looking into total self-trimming 3 months ago. (I fell out of the habit of having my hair trimmed even somewhat regularly when I was in college.) My first self-cut was pretty empowering, and led me to researching more about hair care. I've always considered my hair healthy--and have been told so by hairdressers--but I realized that I needed to adjust my habits to have the healthiest hair possible. I reduced the frequency of shampooing my hair (from daily to twice per week) and just switched from commercial shampoo to "no poo". I decided to let my bangs grow out (this time with a plan) and haven't used the curling iron since June. After giving myself a shoulder-length, shaggy layered bob (with some layers framing my face to help the bangs blend in) to help stay cool through the summer, I've now decided to let my hair grow longer. I think I just want to go to armpit length, but I might go as far as bra strap length.

Ok, that was longer than I expected, but I think that's a good start with my hair history. I look forward to browsing the forums more and learning more tricks to caring for and styling my hair. :)

Skade
August 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Welcome Erinlesley09 Thanks for sharing your hair story. :blossom:

My hair has never been dyed, permed, or otherwise chemically altered. Wow, wish that were the case with my hair as well, nice to be all natural healthy hair. Good luck on your hair growing.

Leeloo
August 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome Erinlesley09 It sounds like you’re on your way already with very good hair habits. Happy growing!

erinlesley09
August 8th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks! :)

erinlesley09
August 8th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Thank you!

Eve 322
August 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Welcome! I'm new too, and I agree that it sounds like you already have good hair habits! Exciting, please post a pic soon!

Eve 322
August 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Btw so sorry for double-post, I haven't figured out how to edit my original post yet, but this forum has SO MUCH great and fantastic information on helping your hair grow and (more importantly) grow HEALTHIER. There are literally tips to lead you towards every type of personality, ideal hairstyle and lifestyle in here...it's like a gold mine ;).

erinlesley09
August 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Welcome! I'm new too, and I agree that it sounds like you already have good hair habits! Exciting, please post a pic soon!

I'll try to!

erinlesley09
August 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Btw so sorry for double-post, I haven't figured out how to edit my original post yet, but this forum has SO MUCH great and fantastic information on helping your hair grow and (more importantly) grow HEALTHIER. There are literally tips to lead you towards every type of personality, ideal hairstyle and lifestyle in here...it's like a gold mine ;).

I know! I've been skimming through various threads that have piqued my interest, and posted in a few as well. Good luck with your hair!