PDA

View Full Version : Updo headaches out of nowhere!

salamander
March 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I've been wearing my hair up the vast majority of the time for about a year now, and I never had problems before, but the past few weeks my updos have been hurting! Not actual headaches, pain at the roots of the hair. I used to wear figure 8s all the time, but they started to hurt, so I switched to infinity buns, but now even they hurt. Shouldn't my scalp be used to the weight of updos?

I've never had a sensitive scalp before, even when I was using SLS on it, which I was allergic to. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on, and how to fix it?

Curlsgirl
March 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I've been wearing my hair up the vast majority of the time for about a year now, and I never had problems before, but the past few weeks my updos have been hurting! Not actual headaches, pain at the roots of the hair. I used to wear figure 8s all the time, but they started to hurt, so I switched to infinity buns, but now even they hurt. Shouldn't my scalp be used to the weight of updos?

I've never had a sensitive scalp before, even when I was using SLS on it, which I was allergic to. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on, and how to fix it?

In Tennessee the pollen count is very high right now, just started about that time. For me that means more headaches from allergies. I wear my hair in halfups more or completely down if I have to. I am going through the same thing. My head is more tender from the sinusitis. Could that be it for you?

Elyce
March 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Salamandar, I'm having the same issue. Curlsgirl makes a good point, I do have issues with hay fever, so that's part of it, but I assume it is mostly because my hair has grown and, even though it's a small increase, it's just enough to make it a bit heavier and harder to deal with.

Hopefully I just need to adjust to this new hair length. Somehow my trusty Ficcare are not working any more. I hope trying out a few new ways to hold my hair up, even a few new ways to insert the Ficcare, will help.

Good luck!

doodlesmart
March 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I started having a similar problem about two weeks ago. I don't have any insights as to why, but I will say that I spent about a week wearing braids or hair down in bandanas to rest my head and now I am back to updos without pain so far. We'll see if it lasts. Perhaps your head just needs a short break?

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
ever since i got past hip i get a headache everytime i wear my hair up more than i couple hours

Flynn
October 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
It's more of a scalp-ache (or "hairache") you're talking about than really a headache right?

Checklist time!
- Are they tighter than usual?
- Have you changed your washing habits?
- Has the weather changed, prompting a change in the fluidity of your sebum?

That's all I can think of for now...

Carolyn
October 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
There are what I call a true headache (comes from within), scalp aches, and roots hurting. None are fun to deal with. I get a scalp ache sometimes when wearing a bun. The first thing I do is re-position the bun and do a different type of bun. I also change my hairtoy. If I've been using a Ficcare, I switch to hair sticks. Higher places buns tend to start hurting faster for me than a lower placed one. Also when I'm redoing the bun, I take my hair down all the way and do a gentle scalp massage.

When it's my roots that are hurting, the usual cause is dirty hair. I often get a sore spot on the crown of my head when my hair is sebumy and gross. If I've gone 4 days without washing my hair and I have a sore spot, I know I need to wash it pronto. That has always taken care of that kind of an ache.

Vrushali
October 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I think curlsgirl makes a good point. I get those kind of hairaches too sometimes and I believe they are due to allergies or sinusitis.

P.S.: This is assuming you don't tie your hair up tightly day after day :flower:

Lady Danger
October 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I have also always found a correlation between the condition of my allergies/sinuses and getting a headache from putting my hair in a bun. If I'm having a poor-sinus day, I can't even do a ponytail.

Topaz
October 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I agree with the allergies/sinus theory. I know for myself, there have been times when allergies or sinuses or even an old fashioned head cold have made me quite ill, and I notice that even my hair hurts. I think this is the most likely explanation.

Alternately, it wouldn't hurt to give your scalp a break by changing your buns' positions, or just don't wear a bun for awhile.

pepperminttea
October 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Could you try updos that distribute the weight of your hair differently? Instead of having in it a single bun - perhaps two? Or have you tried hair-taping, or crown braids? I know my bun seems to be tipping my head backwards if I have it in for too long, but in my case it's nothing a little variety doesn't fix. Hopefully an easy solution is out there for you too. :)

CrisDee
November 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM
So glad to find this thread, this was one of the reasons I chopped off all my hair earlier this year. As a flight attendant, I'm required to wear my hair up if it's past shoulder length (mine was BSL for years until March '09). With duty days stretching from 10-15 hours, not only would I get a headache, but my hair toy would actually leave dents in my head when worn for that long. There's gotta be a way around this - hope I learn how by the time my hair grows out again :) I've seen a number of threads refering to having hair too tight causing headaches (and other problems), but my superfine slippery hair will only stay up if it's tight, loose styles fall out in a matter of seconds.

I've been trying to study the forum for different types of updos, but as a newbie I do not have access to any photos that are posted here on the board, only to links to photo sharing sites, and it seems most of the updo info photos are posted here and I can't yet view them. Trying to contribute what I can to get to my magic 25, but certainly don't wanna just post drivel just to get there (and I'm sure that doesn't count anyway) :)

Thanks in advance for patience with a newbie!

Kirin
November 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
In my experience, long hair = headaches. Not just the roots hurting, and it didn't matter the time of year. Oddly, all four in my house were longhairs, and suffered headaches all the time....... making us wish we'd bought stock in tylenol and advil! My youngest would get an actual migraine at least every two weeks that lasted for days keeping her out of school and activities.

We have all cut our hair. No headaches.

I know there has been a lot of debate over wether hair creates headaches or not, but I do believe it depends on the individual. For some it does, for some it does not.