PDA

View Full Version : Is conditioner always necessary?

cobden 28
August 4th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Yesterday I washed my hair in the bath as usual and was reaching out for the bottle of conditioner that lives on the edge of the bathtub, when I realised it was another bottle of shampoo instead. So we had no conditioner in the house at all, and I had to just towel-dry my hair before letting it dry naturally (as always).

Although I did have to tug the brush through my hair after washing, basically my hair seems lovely and soft and shiny so I'm wondering if regular weekly conditioner is necessary at all?

The shampoo I'd used on my hair was a supermarket's own-brand baby shampoo so perhaps I ought to stick to that in future, instead of spending out on an expensive branded shampoo & matching conditioner. What do others on this forum think?

jeanniet
August 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
It sounds like your hair might have needed to be clarified, but that doesn't mean you should avoid conditioner from now on, nor would I advise using baby shampoo regularly. Some people can get away with shampoo only, but most can't. Maybe what you need is to clarify more often.

spidermom
August 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I've noticed that the effects of conditioner can last through more than once wash. I usually condition as part of my routine - it's habit - but during times that I didn't (such as before applying a product like Manic Panic), it took several washings (3-4) before I could tell that there was no more conditioner in my hair.

SerinaDaith
August 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I can't brush out my hair unless I have conditioned after every wash. Not everyone has my hair though.

battles
August 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I generally do not use conditioner, but I'm a shampoo bar user. I use a shampoo bar and then a final diluted vinegar rinse and skip the conditioner. I do need an occasional deep treatment, but it beats the hassle of using a rinse out every time I wash.

hafattack
August 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I have gone without conditioner on occasion and my hair doesn't mind. I could probably go without more often than I do.

Question: jeanniet, why do you advise against using baby shampoo regularly?

MunaZaldrizoti
August 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM
When I was first growing out my hair, I just used shampoo without conditioner. But now I find if I don't condition, my hair feels dry.

teddygirl
August 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
My hair is so dry that it feels like straw if I don't condition.

jacqueline101
August 4th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I'd say it depends on your hair type.

alexis917
August 4th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I'm cone free now so I use VO5 conditioner.
But I also like to use a ton of coconut oil on my hair.
I even use it in small amounts as a leave-in.

Leeloo
August 5th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I don't think it's necessary for everyone. I do need it because I can't brush through my hair without it.

MaryO
August 5th, 2013, 03:54 AM
It's probably worth a try if you feel like you don't really want to use conditioner but perhaps you'll find the hair wants conditioner after a couple of washes. My hair doesn't seem to like water and tangles like mad so Except for when I clarify I have to use lots of conditioner!

catasa
August 5th, 2013, 04:29 AM
I almost never use conditioner anymore, my hair is much softer/nicer without it (I stopped my frustrating and expensive hunt for a conditioner that would work last autumn so it has almost been a year now). I do use mineral oil as a leave in though instead, and I use a diluted non-SLS shampoo with some added ACV. I think that maybe my water quality (hard/mineral-rich) plays a part in why conditioner only seem to coat and not moisturize my hair. I do use deep moisture treatments sometimes after protein treatments, but more often nowadays olive oil on wet hair instead, and I do clarify regularly also due to the water.

My hair did very nicely on this routine all through the winter, but now in summer it is more dry-looking and frizzy/poofy again. I have tried conditioner on it again now but it certainly doesn´t help, it only makes it coated and icky-feeling along with the dryness and poof... Am going to try catnip rinse as soon as I can find some good catnip.

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Yesterday I washed my hair in the bath as usual and was reaching out for the bottle of conditioner that lives on the edge of the bathtub, when I realised it was another bottle of shampoo instead. So we had no conditioner in the house at all, and I had to just towel-dry my hair before letting it dry naturally (as always).

Although I did have to tug the brush through my hair after washing, basically my hair seems lovely and soft and shiny so I'm wondering if regular weekly conditioner is necessary at all?

The shampoo I'd used on my hair was a supermarket's own-brand baby shampoo so perhaps I ought to stick to that in future, instead of spending out on an expensive branded shampoo & matching conditioner. What do others on this forum think?

Having to tug the brush through is damaging. Conditioner plays many roles not just softness (emollience) but also slip (reduced friction) and helping the cuticle lay flat after shampoo raises it. This protects the cuticle from being ripped off and vulnerable wet hair from being stretched by brushing or combing. Some conditioning agents are highly substantive (adhere well to hair) so will survive more than one wash or even build up but they are not all so need to be used each wash.

What pH is the baby shampoo? Anything that is labelled 'no tears' is likely to be neutral to alkaline pH (7+) so raise the cuticle, hair's happy place is acidic (pH ~4.5). Purchasing expensive shampoos and conditioners is no guarantee of quality or being best for hair health, it's worth reading ingredients lists and working with your hair's properties and needs.

Nini
August 5th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I don't use condish, and I haven't used it regularly in twenty years I think. I found a nice one that I occationally use as a deep treatment or a leave-in, but the treatments are few and far between.

I use a SLS-free shampoo from Urtekram, and I clarify once in a while. Not very often at home, but I usually find I need it when I travel.

Nini
August 5th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I don't use condish, and I haven't used it regularly in twenty years I think. I found a nice one that I occationally use as a deep treatment or a leave-in, but the treatments are few and far between.

I use a SLS-free shampoo from Urtekram, and I clarify once in a while. Not very often at home, but I usually find I need it when I travel.

embee
August 5th, 2013, 05:18 AM
If I wash with *very diluted* shampoo and rinse very well I do not need conditioner at all, ever. Same for WO, the hair is easily combed and brushed without any product.

In the past I used to *really shampoo* (you know, the old "lather rinse repeat" thing) and found conditioner was essential or there was all sorts of breakage when I tried to comb through. (I don't do that any more - mostly I'm summer WO and winter NW/SO)

lapushka
August 5th, 2013, 06:53 AM
If your hair is longer than shoulder, and it's wavy (curly even more so), then heck yes it's necessary.

faellen
August 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Question: jeanniet, why do you advise against using baby shampoo regularly?

I know this question wasn't directed at me but I'll answer anyway... :) baby shampoo is usually alkaline, that's why it doesn't sting baby's eyes. Hair generally prefers more acidic shampoos and conditioners. Baby shampoo lifts the hair cuticle and is therefore quite good for removing dye, however constantly lifting the cuticle isn't good for hair.

clioariane
August 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I definitely have to condition every time I wash my hair but if you think your hair is moisturized enough you can skip it.

hafattack
August 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I know this question wasn't directed at me but I'll answer anyway... :) baby shampoo is usually alkaline, that's why it doesn't sting baby's eyes. Hair generally prefers more acidic shampoos and conditioners. Baby shampoo lifts the hair cuticle and is therefore quite good for removing dye, however constantly lifting the cuticle isn't good for hair.

Thank you for your reply! I had no idea. Hopefully I have been stretching washes long enough, but I will look into a different SLS or sulfate free shampoo. Thanks!

Khiwanean
August 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Some people can do fine without conditioner. I think most of the people who do well without conditioner have hair that tends toward oiliness naturally. Even so, the spreadability of a person's natural oils probably limits how long their hair can be without needing some conditioner on the ends. I can't go without conditioner; my hair is a staticy, tangly mess if I use only shampoo.

GrowingGlory
August 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Since I started using a treatment shampoo I find that I no longer need conditioner. I just started applying some NightBlooming Custom Oil Blend, but just a drop after shampooing.

lapushka
August 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Some people can do fine without conditioner. I think most of the people who do well without conditioner have hair that tends toward oiliness naturally.

I wouldn't say that. I'm quite oily at the scalp, but because I'm a wavy, and my length (waist to TBL) is usually dry, I do need conditioner. I think most of us with substantial length, regardless of our scalps (whether they're dry or oily) need conditioner!

melusine963
August 5th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I definitely need conditioner to detangle safely while I'm in the shower. Once I'm out I could potentially rely on coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner/detangler.

faellen
August 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't say that. I'm quite oily at the scalp, but because I'm a wavy, and my length (waist to TBL) is usually dry, I do need conditioner. I think most of us with substantial length, regardless of our scalps (whether they're dry or oily) need conditioner!

I'm a straightie and this is true for me, oily scalp but dryer length. I definitely need conditioner!

Carolyn
August 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM
If you like your results with no conditioner then go for it. However I don't think that having to tug a brush through your hair sounds like a good thing. It sounds quite damaging! I could never do the no conditioner thing. My hair would end up in one giant tangle of a dreadlock. That's not exactly my goal for my hair. I use tons of conditioner every time I wash. I don't use all that much shampoo but I use a lot of conditioner. I would guess I use about 1/2 cup of cheapie conditioner for CO washing and about 1/4 cup of heavier conditioner for the second conditioner in a CO wash or the conditioning part of an S & C wash. I don't think I'd have much hair left if I didn't use conditioner.

brindlebabe
August 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I can't brush out my hair unless I have conditioned after every wash. Not everyone has my hair though.

My hair is much the same Serina. If I go one wash without conditioning, my hair is a mess of snarls! I also find that if I go a day without washing my scalp exudes enough oil to fill my car with! I'm joking, of course, but at 30 I wonder if the pores on my scalp will ever realized I've outgrown my teens! My hair is 1 b, fine, and medium of volume. I assume it snarls so easily because of my hair's fine texture?

Aemelia
August 6th, 2013, 04:40 AM
If I'm using a silicone based shampoo then I never need conditioner the comb or tangle teezer just glides through. I also wonder if it's redundant, does the silicone prevent the conditioner doing anything at all?