PDA

View Full Version : Can't Stop Shedding

YamaMaya
August 4th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie here but I've been lurking for quite some time. I have a rather distressing problem that has cropped up as of late. I seem to be constantly shedding. All the time I'll be picking loose hairs off of me, or just adjusting my hair and losing a hair or two. In the shower I find a rather sizeable clump in the drain after washing. I've been trying tea rinses and hot oil to combat the problem but it's only partially helping. I feel like my hair is a bit thinner but it may be my panicked imagination. Am I just going through a natural shedding phase? The hairs usually have a follicle at the end so it's not breakage. Any advice is welcomed.:D

Kaelee
August 4th, 2013, 03:02 PM
That sounds somewhat normal to me, but I have thick hair so a lot of it to lose. It could be seasonal, it could be stress, it could be something else. It could even be that your hair is longer so you notice the shedding more. If you're really concerned, this is one of those problems that you should see a doctor about, if it's that bad.

jacqueline101
August 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
If you are worried get some lab work done at the doctor especially if you're going bald.

Firefox7275
August 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie here but I've been lurking for quite some time. I have a rather distressing problem that has cropped up as of late. I seem to be constantly shedding. All the time I'll be picking loose hairs off of me, or just adjusting my hair and losing a hair or two. In the shower I find a rather sizeable clump in the drain after washing. I've been trying tea rinses and hot oil to combat the problem but it's only partially helping. I feel like my hair is a bit thinner but it may be my panicked imagination. Am I just going through a natural shedding phase? The hairs usually have a follicle at the end so it's not breakage. Any advice is welcomed.:D

If you feel this level of shedding is not normal for you do make an appointment with your family doctor or a dermatologist.

melusine963
August 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I agree with the suggestions to see a doctor. That said, are you also oiling your scalp? This can actually lead to increased shedding for some people.

Adelynd
August 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I experienced something similar this past year. My massive shedding (telogen effluvium) was due to a very stressful event. The shedding generally starts within 2-4 months after the stressful event and mine lasted for several months. It was as bad as, or maybe even worse than, my post- pregnancy sheds, though it tapered off as the months wore on. If you can't recollect anything in particular that might be causing this, definitely get a check-up and a thyroid test.