PDA

View Full Version : Favorite oil for fine hair

ravenheather
August 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I love coconut oil for pre wash treatment but I am wondering if there is something better for leaving in on my fine hair. What's your favorite?

kdaniels8811
August 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oils make my hair flatten. I use catnip soaks instead, better than any oils I have tried.

Anje
August 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I don't tend to use oil pre-wash, and I'm really indecisive about what I like best. That said, fineys tend to like lighter oils in my observation, unless they've also got lots of curls that need something heavy to encourage clumping. Coconut, jojoba, camellia, grapeseed, and apricot kernel oils tend to be popular and are pretty non-viscous.

massivecnqstdr
August 4th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I've been using a small amount of squalane.

Vanilla
August 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I have fine/medium hair and I love mineral oil as a leave in.

lapushka
August 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I mostly have serums (two kinds: IC Fantasia serum in 3 versions (regular, olive oil, and for thick unruly hair), CHI Silk Infusion) but when we use oil here it's a few drops of mineral oil. It's absolutely wonderful to leave in the hair, and it traps moisture wonderfully!

jillosity
August 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I've had the best luck using a shea butter/coconut oil balm that I make myself, I find it's too easy for me to use too much oil when I use it by itself, but mixed with shea butter and applied to wet hair after washing it works like magic. My hair is as smooth as if I'd used a silicone type of smoother but it will hold a curl (I tend to set my hair in about 6 big pincurls after washing to get some volume) for 2 or 3 days so I'll have happier updo's.

Achlys
August 4th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I've been the most satisfied with jojoba. I use it after washing, makes my hair really smooth. I've also used mineral oil, which was okay, too, but somehow less shiny on hair.

Delila
August 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Camellia for me, though I find mineral oil is okay too.

To be honest, though, I mostly just use my GM styling products, haven't really experimented with my oils for a while.

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Mineral oil, or camellia oil. Small drops on wet hair. I use a smidge of Nightblooming's Panacea, too.

AmyBeth
August 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I do use coconut and olive oils and have very recently fallen in love with avocado oil!

Beav83
August 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Oils haven't worked well for me so far but I plan on watching this thread.

Katrine
August 29th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I find the combination of leave-in with a couple drops of oil (sweet almond or argan) mixed together works best. Oil alone can make my hair stringy, oily looking or give me dried out tangly ends.

Ashenputtel
August 30th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I use kimberlily defrizz spray which contains a bit of jojoba oil.

I hardly prewash anymore. I also used catnip with success but it's just too long. I also don't use conditioner.

Anyway if you pre-oil and use conditioner I don't think you will need something post-wash I use to do that and I though I had dry hair which I don't.

breezefaerie
August 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Coconut oil in my shampoo mix, mineral oil as leave in

sourgrl
August 30th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Pure argan oil. It seems to give my waves a bit of definition and a little (3 drops for my bsl hair) goes a long way. I'm itchin to try almond or jojoba oil.

Crumpet
August 30th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Coconut is my go-to oil. I use it most days, depending on what my hair needs.

I also like avocado and argan. I tend to use argan if I'm wearing my hair down since it gives it shine, controls my waves, and doesn't weigh my hair down.

TenaciousTangle
August 30th, 2013, 09:35 PM
My mother has fine hair and she swears by her coconut oil. She leaves it in on her ends. I tried that myself and it made my hair greasy, but I have a very different hair type. I do use a shampoo and conditioner with coconut oil in it and it's my favorite thing.

I tried almond oil once. No good for hair! It made my hair all sticky. There is an upside, though; I now have the perfect thing to put on my slippery-backed horse under the saddle. The sticky-ness helps to keep things from slipping. :p

If you already have coconut oil on hand, perhaps it would make sense to try leaving that oil in first to see if you like it.

sarahthegemini
August 31st, 2013, 05:50 AM
I love sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil :)