PDA

View Full Version : keratin bumps on scalp?

samanthajenalyn
August 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Let me start by saying I have KP, which is where my skin produces to much of the protein keratin. Because of this I get kp, or 'chicken skin' bumps on my upper arms and shoulders. I have been to the dermatologist before, so I know for sure that I do have KP.

For as long as I can remember, when I give myself scalp massages I will feel little pieces of keratin attached to my scalp. If I just rub them or lightly scratch, they will come off. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone knows if this could hinder my hair growth? Or if someone knows a solution to this?

Thanks!

fairview
August 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I know that excessive keratin applied to the hair will make it as brittle as glass and cause it to break as such but you have a diagnosed medical condition from a health professional. I'm not sure I would be eager to solicit recommendations from non health professionals and if I were going to use one, I think I would check in with my dermatologist to make sure even if it doesn't improve the condition at least it would not do more harm.

samanthajenalyn
August 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM
well i know that kp doesnt effect your health in any way, all it is is just small bumps and theres really no cure for it. over 50% of the population has it and many dont even know it. i dont think anything could really make it worse. i heard recently that coconut oil can make them disappear so im trying that now. im just not sure if the bumps would have negative affects on my hair growth and was wondering if anyone here might know something about it.

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Let me start by saying I have KP, which is where my skin produces to much of the protein keratin. Because of this I get kp, or 'chicken skin' bumps on my upper arms and shoulders. I have been to the dermatologist before, so I know for sure that I do have KP.

For as long as I can remember, when I give myself scalp massages I will feel little pieces of keratin attached to my scalp. If I just rub them or lightly scratch, they will come off. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if anyone knows if this could hinder my hair growth? Or if someone knows a solution to this?

Thanks!

Having a skin condition on one part of your body doesn't automatically mean you have the same issue on another area - it is very rare to get KP on the scalp, but other conditions that lead to similar feeling bumps and 'scabs' are common. It's therefore worth getting a formal diagnosis for your scalp issue and then treating according to the diagnosis.

faellen
August 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I sometimes get little scalp bumps, scab type things that I just pick off. Not sure if its the same as what you have (also, I don't have KP) but they don't really affect me that much and have never made any difference to my hair growth.

Anje
August 5th, 2013, 08:44 AM
If it is KP (and I haven't heard of anyone getting it on their scalp), I know a lot of people have found that applying oil (usually coconut) to their KP has drastically reduced it over time. Perhaps oiling your scalp a few hours before you wash it will help. Lots of folks here find that applying coconut oil before a wash helps their hair condition anyway, so it's certainly worth a try.

If it's dry sebum chunks (I have a friend who experiences these), oiling should help dislodge those too.

samanthajenalyn
August 5th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Having a skin condition on one part of your body doesn't automatically mean you have the same issue on another area - it is very rare to get KP on the scalp, but other conditions that lead to similar feeling bumps and 'scabs' are common. It's therefore worth getting a formal diagnosis for your scalp issue and then treating according to the diagnosis.

okay thanks!

samanthajenalyn
August 5th, 2013, 04:52 PM
If it is KP (and I haven't heard of anyone getting it on their scalp), I know a lot of people have found that applying oil (usually coconut) to their KP has drastically reduced it over time. Perhaps oiling your scalp a few hours before you wash it will help. Lots of folks here find that applying coconut oil before a wash helps their hair condition anyway, so it's certainly worth a try.

If it's dry sebum chunks (I have a friend who experiences these), oiling should help dislodge those too.
ive never heard of dry sebum chunks, but that might actually be what it is. ill have to look into that! thank you.