PDA

View Full Version : Flat hair with better care?

PastelMouse
August 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hello, this is my first post on this site! My question is, how can I get my hair back to light curls with volume without mistreating it again? Ever since I stopped bleaching and dying my hair, using rough brushes and shampooing daily, my hair has gotten very flat, sticking to my head and being mostly straight with slight waves. My hair has been very greasy too! Before, my hair had some volume to it, was wavy with some mixed curls (My hair was like that when I was younger before I started bleaching/dying it as well).

My current care routine has been CO washing every other day and combing with a wide tooth comb and occasionally brushing with a boar bristle bush if its humid out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

GrowingGlory
August 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe the conditioner is not rinsing out completely.

starlamelissa
August 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
I don't like sulphate free shampoo or co washes. I prefer sulphate shampoo for body and bounce.

ludwig20
August 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
If your hair is too flat -- perhaps it's build up? If so, you may need to clarify. I'm not sure how long you've been CO washing, but hair has to transition into the new routine. I've seen many posts here claiming the first few weeks (or even months) were challenging since hair quickly became greasy.

jacqueline101
August 3rd, 2013, 04:01 PM
I'd clarify and try new products.

alexis917
August 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Sounds like it could be build up. You could try clarifying.
And that aside, your hair might not naturally be curly.
Bleach changes the hair shaft, and makes it really porous.
When my hair was bleached, it was practically curly (think 2b/2c).
Bleach and dye free (aside from my ends, which are the old damaged bits) my hair is actually quite straight- about 1c.
The longer it gets and the better I care for it, the less wavy it is. I noticed my hair was drier and more damaged in more wavy parts.

Anne10
August 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
That definitely sounds like buildup to me. Maybe CO isn't for you? What kind of water do you have? I don't mean to drumbeat the shower filter thing but it really has helped my hair.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
I think it's probably CO. CO made my hair flat and dull, so I only do it occasionally between washes if I get sweaty.