PDA

View Full Version : Finally Bought Virgin Coconut Oil. What Next?

ChristmasFnatic
August 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
I read some advice here on how to use it, but I want to get different opinions so I can try them and see whats best.

That said, I got some specific questions...

1. When do you use it? On days you wash/co-wash your hair? Or do you use it on "off days" too?

2. Leave on or wash them after some time?

3. Is it purely to help moisturize your hair or some of you use it as a styling agent? Like gel,etc?

4. MANY THANKS!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
I just stroke a tiny amount through my hair while it is damp after it has been washed, and that 's it. Or I will do a heavier oiling before dying my hair to protect it. You can also do a heavy oiling and sleep with it if you like before washing out the oil the next day - to get the oil out, cover your hair with conditioner for about an hour, then wash /condition etc as normal and the oil will come out and your hair will be soft and shiny. Hope this helps, Christmasfnatic. Enjoy your coconut oil.

Leeloo
August 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
I use it as pre-poo. I cover my hair and scalp with it, cover with a shower cap, put my heating cap for 30 min or so, then wash!

sisi33
August 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
I use it as a pre-poo overnight treatment, end sealer when I wash my hair, and randomly on off days on top of some sort of moisture-product. I only use it as a styler for braids, to make them sleek. But since you haven't tried it out before, I would start with a very tiny amount (less than a pea-sized dollop) on dry hair, so that you can get a feel for it, and see how it goes from there.

SerinaDaith
August 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
I like it on my ends if they are feeling dry, love it as a prewash oil, I even use it as lotion, in chapstick, in the kitchen, pretty nuch everywhere. It's taking over!

sarahthegemini
August 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
I use mine either as a pre-wash treatment (for this, I saturate my dry hair with the coconut oil, leave it on overnight then CWC it out the next day) or in a deep treatment (mixed with other oils, conditioners etc and apply on damp hair, leave for a couple hours, then CWC out)

Have fun!

Warda
August 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I use it as a pre-wash treatment. I put it on dry hair and leave it from a few hours to overnight. Then I CWC it out. I also put a bit on wet hair after I wash it. And if at any point between washes my hair feels dry I just put a bit!

ChristmasFnatic
August 3rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks! By the way, do you wet your hair first before applying or not?

ExpectoPatronum
August 3rd, 2013, 02:39 PM
I don't wet my hair before applying it. I don't think I would be able to tell if I got it everywhere if it were wet. I have put a tiny amount in damp hair after I got out of the shower though. And I mean tiny...Like just a drop or two to help smooth down my frizz.

Wildcat Diva
August 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
I use it as pre-poo. I cover my hair and scalp with it, cover with a shower cap, put my heating cap for 30 min or so, then wash!

I just slathered some cheapie conditioner on dry hair, added a generous amount of coconut oil to my ends, then more conditioner. I added a plastic cap and then a heat cap. I'll surf on the computer for a while, and then CO it all out later.

Othala
August 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
I use VCO as a pre-wash treatment, applying it to my hair and scalp and leaving at least 8 hours or overnight. In the morning I shampoo with a sulphate-free shampoo (John Masters Lavender Rosemary shampoo) and let my hair air dry. When dry, I apply a tiny bit of VCO to my hair. Each subsequent day I apply a littl ebit of VCO to my hair and scalp until the day before I wash when I apply VCO heavily and leave overnight.

ludwig20
August 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Lately I've been massaging a lot of coconut oil on my scalp and especially on my ends. I leave it on throughout the night and wash it out with diluted shampoo the next morning. After I've conditioned my hair and rinsed it out, I apply a bit of coconut oil (and shea butter) throughout my length -- again focusing on my ends. This really helps my coarse hair feel soft and fluffy.

ChristmasFnatic
August 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Wow... So much advice! Ill try them one by one! LOL!

THANKS ALL!

Firefox7275
August 5th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I read some advice here on how to use it, but I want to get different opinions so I can try them and see whats best.

That said, I got some specific questions...

1. When do you use it? On days you wash/co-wash your hair? Or do you use it on "off days" too?

2. Leave on or wash them after some time?

3. Is it purely to help moisturize your hair or some of you use it as a styling agent? Like gel,etc?

4. MANY THANKS!

Coconut oil does not moisturise (add or increase water) since it is an occlusive/ anti humectant (oil and water do not mix): it can penetrate reducing porosity (less water absorbed), increasing elasticity, helping protect from protein loss. The published research for penetrating and protein loss is a long overnight to twenty four hour soaks on dry hair, then washed out.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2005/cc056n05/p00283-p00295.pdf