PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in Hair

Heavy Raindrops
August 3rd, 2013, 04:18 AM
Hi there,

I know my hair has become very thin over the past few years but I now have gaps in my hair (I never used to :() when I leave it open and try to spread my hair around (if that makes sense). I either have to leave all my hair at the back or bring all my hair to the front when I leave it open otherwise it looks awful. My hair also seems to clump together (even after I brush it, after a while it clumps together again, my hair is slightly wavy and quite thick so I don't have many hair strands). What can be done about it?

lapushka
August 3rd, 2013, 05:31 AM
A picture would be nice. I don't have any idea what you're talking about? Do you mean it has thinned out in places?

Firefox7275
August 3rd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Have you actually lost quite a bit of strands or bulk? If so make an appointment with your family doctor for a full health check, that is free here in the UK after all. You should not be experiencing hair loss at 20. Stop using shampoos containing sulphate surfactants, these have been implicated in hair loss for susceptible people. Also review your diet, ensure you meet or exceed ALL our government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle.

Is the clumping new? If so do a clarifying or chelating wash. If not new that us probably just how your wavy hair falls, maybe work with your waves for volume instead of brushing them out. Research the Curly Girl method you might well be surprised how much hidden wave you have.

jacqueline101
August 3rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
If you have thinning spots I'd go to the doctor somehow at twenty that doesn't sound right. I'd also try looking at any changes made in your care routine.

Achlys
August 3rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
You mean when you part you hair, the scalp shows a lot? Does it happen however you part your hair? Or do you have spots without hair? I have thin hair and my scalp shows quite a bit wherever I part my hair, so to some extent it is normal with thinner hair, I think. I just avoid certain hairstyles. Do you know why you have lost a lot of hair? If you have a lot of shedding, then you should review your routine and diet and general health changes and maybe see a doctor.

Coolcombination
August 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Perhaps your hair is clumping together because of build up, if so clarify by buying a proper clarifying shampoo or a cheating shampoo if you swim in chlorinated water a lot.
The other thing it could be is over moisturised, in which cause a protein treatment should solve it.
:grouphug:

Nanna
September 13th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I think I know what you mean. My hair has thinned quite a lot since I was a child, and when I spread it out the layer of hair is thinner in some sections than it is in others. That's what you meant, right? For example, the whole of my right side has fewer hair and it breaks more easily AND grows more slowly, so the right side always looks scraggly and bad, and plaits on that side are thinner and shorter. Especially the part behind my right ear doesn't really want to grow at all, so there I always have a thin spot and shorter hairs. I don't know what to do with it, though I suspect it's probably at least partly due to sleeping more often on my right side. If anybody has helpful tips, I'd be really interested to try something!

Wildcat Diva
September 13th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Nanna, a silk pillowcase or sleep cap might help with the hair breaking off on your right side.

Anabell
September 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Do you mean that when you spread your hair (lets say in the back) you can see your shirt in some places, because the hair don't cover it completely? If it is the case it not because of thinning. I have it too. And my hair on the thick side. It just... clump together. I get better separation when I brush or comb it. You have the same hair texture like me, so maybe it just because of it.

If you see that your ponytail circumference decrease and you experience shedding try to figure out what cause it. But in my opinion it not the reason for the gaps. My buns are huge, but when I wear my hair down you can see them right there.

dulce
September 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM
If yoo're not talking about the scalp but how it lays on your back especially as you lean forward and it fans out,it may be due to your hair type.I have wavy/curly hair and my pony diameter is about 3.8 inch[normal thickness] and mine does the clumping and separating too on my back especially if I lean forward while sitting.

Nanna
September 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Nanna, a silk pillowcase or sleep cap might help with the hair breaking off on your right side.

Thanks. I made a silk nightcap today and we'll see if it stays on during the night!