PDA

View Full Version : Another "You look younger" when you chop your hair

Artisticat
August 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Saw this on the Daily Mail:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2383795/Joyce-Slawson-58-hair-cut-time-sixth-grade.html
'You look 20 years younger!' The moment 58-year-old woman has her hair cut for the first time since sixth grade
Of course in the first look - not a stitch of makeup on and drab clothing...can we see a setup here to make her look as "bad" as possible?
:taz: Please share your stories...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/02/article-2383795-1B1F357B000005DC-252_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/02/article-2383795-1B1F357F000005DC-894_306x423.jpg

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2013, 09:05 PM
When they say that to me I say I like the mature look.

gnome82
August 2nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
All I see is makeup on her face and that the new "style" covers her face more. I am not impressed.

SerinaDaith
August 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
I give her about a week to figure out that that chop is a million times more work to keep up and start growing it out again. That and why do we have to wear a ton of make up to be pretty? Not to mention the clothes? Physical beauty fades, inner beauty is what matters. Grr.

10000days
August 2nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
The shorter hair makes her look more 'modern' maybe but certainly not 'younger'.

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
She had fantastic hair! It's still pretty, but all I can think of is how long it will take to grow it back out.

woodswanderer
August 2nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hey, let's make you look different and call it better! Yay!

amanda_the_tall
August 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
The first thing I noticed is how her hair looked so silky before and how her natural lip color was beautiful. The second picture I couldn't get past the lipstick. :bigeyes: I actually think she looked younger in the first photo! However if she's happy with a new look good for her!
eta: It looks like they gave her a spray tan too... or something.

Winnie!
August 2nd, 2013, 10:00 PM
Am I the only person who thought her hair should have been much longer than waist? Or am I not getting something about the being cut for the first time since sixth grade thing? Although I do agree that it isn't fair to compare those two pictures to see in which one she looks younger. Of course you're going to look different with makeup and different clothes.

akilina
August 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Crap from dailymail always comes up on here....most of us don't take a thing they say seriously haha.

I hope I am able to have long hair at an older age..I hope I look like an old witch too. I like going against the grain though...I see no reason why more mature women shouldn't do whatever the eff they want with their appearance, or anyone for that matter. It's only stupid media that puts a message out that so many things are *not okay* for people to do. I think they strive to give people complexes about their appearance so they can make more $$.

DancingQueen
August 2nd, 2013, 11:37 PM
Saw this on the Daily Mail:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2383795/Joyce-Slawson-58-hair-cut-time-sixth-grade.html
'You look 20 years younger!' The moment 58-year-old woman has her hair cut for the first time since sixth grade
Of course in the first look - not a stitch of makeup on and drab clothing...can we see a setup here to make her look as "bad" as possible?

I think she was beautiful with her old hair - but she really does look good with her new style. It suits her face very well. Yes, they did do everything they could to make before very boring, and after super interesting. But I relly do think that she can wear her hair both ways if she wants to.

DancingQueen
August 2nd, 2013, 11:37 PM

I think she was beautiful with her old hair - but she really does look good with her new style. It suits her face very well. Yes, they did do everything they could to make before very boring, and after super interesting. But I relly do think that she can wear her hair both ways if she wants to. Her beauty shines through either way. :)

Dragon
August 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM
I like her new and old look but don't think she looks 20 years younger. I hate how they always try to make people look there worst in before shots.

Unofficial_Rose
August 3rd, 2013, 12:41 AM
I think it's an absolute crime to cut off all that beautiful long blonde hair. It suited her, too.

Flor
August 3rd, 2013, 01:13 AM
It's not about the haircut in the slightest. It's about coloring, styling, makeup and clothes. If they had it done for her without cutting her hair, she would have looked even better ("younger").

woolyleprechaun
August 3rd, 2013, 01:33 AM
She looked beautiful in the before pictures. I'm not one for the over-made-up look, and that straightened bob, full make up, shiny blouse, violent lipstick....not for me.
If they had given her a sassy updo (perhaps with some funky sticks...) and neutral make up, and some nice pretty clothes, she would have been a stunner. I refuse to even comment regarding her age...what's the point? If the media are telling people looking younger is everything, who am I to argue that it isn't? Grrrr:mad:

leslissocool
August 3rd, 2013, 01:38 AM
Daily fail I say!

I look younger with long hair actually. My neighbor saw a picture of me when I was 17 and said "who's that, your older sister?" she couldn't believe that was me!

I think she looked better with long hair too, and that it's the make up :shrug:. Am I the only one who thinks her face looks plumper?!? Don't get me wrong, I love round faces they are my favorite so I'm not being negative, but that cut makes her face appear a bit rounder than the long hair did.

Ocelan
August 3rd, 2013, 01:42 AM
I don't see her looking younger. She looks the same age, just with makeup I wouldn't have chosen for her and shorter flatironed hair. I think just changing her clothes to something more fitting and putting on some natural looking makeup would have done the trick. The makeup they put on was quite horrid for her. She did not need all that slap, plus the spray tan!? Gladly those can be washed off quite quickly and then she will just be herself, even though with shorter hair.

But then again, of course they always chop the hair in these makeover shows. Have you ever seen them not do so? It is the best way to make an instant impact people will notice. Personally that hair length is the worst for me, so I'm a bit biased. Some like it, but that cut makes me look a ton heavier and very awkward. It's ok for her but I did like her more with the long hair.

Angel Barchild
August 3rd, 2013, 04:33 AM
She looks good and she's happy about it. That's all that matters. Sometimes this board is just as judgmental as the people they complain about.

Zindell
August 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM
It's not about the haircut in the slightest. It's about coloring, styling, makeup and clothes. If they had it done for her without cutting her hair, she would have looked even better ("younger").

I second this! It's always the same with Before and After makeovers. Before, the "victim" hardly smile, no makeup, boring clothes etc. And After they've been styled to the teeth! Of cooourse she'll look better After in that case! Meh.

PetuniaBlossom
August 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Wow, some great comments on this thread. I particularly like comments #1 through #18, and #20.
I can't imagine how much extra time, money, and energy it's going to take that poor woman in terms of upkeep on that rather dated hairstyle.
But she's happy *today* and that's all that matters, right? (Sarcasm alert.)

jeanniet
August 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM
She looks good and she's happy about it. That's all that matters. Sometimes this board is just as judgmental as the people they complain about.

They are trying to make it sound like all of a sudden she looks different because all they did was cut her hair, and it's not true at all. What the headline should say is "Look! We cut, highlighted, and flat ironed her hair, had her professionally made up, and gave her new clothes, and now she looks different! Isn't that amazing?" The implication was also that she looked old and therefore "bad" before. The stereotype about older women and long hair looking like hags, witches, etc. gets tiresome. Of course she should have her hair however she wants it, but no one should have been implying she looked like crap in the first place. The part about donating it for cancer wigs was another annoying dig--I notice they didn't say anything about most likely throwing her hair out since it's colored and probably the wrong texture for wigs anyway.

woolyleprechaun
August 3rd, 2013, 06:34 AM
They are trying to make it sound like all of a sudden she looks different because all they did was cut her hair, and it's not true at all. What the headline should say is "Look! We cut, highlighted, and flat ironed her hair, had her professionally made up, and gave her new clothes, and now she looks different! Isn't that amazing?" The implication was also that she looked old and therefore "bad" before. The stereotype about older women and long hair looking like hags, witches, etc. gets tiresome. Of course she should have her hair however she wants it, but no one should have been implying she looked like crap in the first place. The part about donating it for cancer wigs was another annoying dig--I notice they didn't say anything about most likely throwing her hair out since it's colored and probably the wrong texture for wigs anyway.
I have nothing to add to this. I just felt the need to say ~I just saluted you :D

woolyleprechaun
August 3rd, 2013, 06:41 AM
Presuming everyone on 'this board' shares the same opinions is rather judgemental, wouldn't you say? :D I'm sure she's happy NOW, but when she gets home and back to her usual wardrobe, make up and hair routines, I would be willing to bet that she's not so pleased. There's a few make over shows here that revisit the people some time on, and the vast majority have gone back to what they were doing before, including most growing out their fashionable, high-maintenance hairdos.

Vampyria
August 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
I actually think that long hair can make you look younger, if you have the style the suits your face. I prefer the long hair and no make up look in this case. And I don't think she looks a lot younger, if at all. Make up is to strong and she lost her kind of a fairy look.

These shows are all pretty much the same, all of them overreact to get more dramatic effect, shock people.

I found this video of Tyra Banks show. They cut her hair from about knee to chin length.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmsJD-rk6GQ

I think in this one her bangs are a bit too long, they don't suit her face and also the way she dresses makes her look older. They could easily cut it to waist, it looks so healthy. She doesn't wear any make up either. I actually think that long hair can make you look younger and bob can make you look older if you don't have the face for it. She looks 30 something after IMO.

I find Tyra a bit mean, when it comes to cutting long hair (I saw a video where she played a hairdresser and made a mess out of girls hair).
If they just put on some jeans and cute top, light make up, cut her hair to hip or waist and cut her bangs differently she would probably look like a teenager.

sisi33
August 3rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Personally I think that she looked more comfortable with herself before, but the after cut is nice as well.

What really bothers me is the phrase "Ambush Makeovers". It sounds like they're jumping out at you from behind bushes and making you over, whether you like it or not. :shudder:

MonaMayfair
August 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM

LMFAO, so true!
The trouble is, a lot of people on there think there's something special about having long hair (whereas the majority of people can have it IF they happen to want it) and a few of them seem to think almost everyone looks better with long hair, which obviously isn't the case at all.
She obviously thinks she looks better with shorter hair, and I agree with her.

browneyedsusan
August 3rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
It's just styled vs unstyled. I'll bet she'd look great with a classy updo and pretty clothes and makeup!

Kherome
August 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Am I the only person who thought her hair should have been much longer than waist? Or am I not getting something about the being cut for the first time since sixth grade thing? Although I do agree that it isn't fair to compare those two pictures to see in which one she looks younger. Of course you're going to look different with makeup and different clothes.

No. That is the first thing I thought. First, her hair is hip, not waist. Second, if she hasn't cut in that many years, it should be on the floor by now!

Artisticat
August 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Presuming everyone on 'this board' shares the same opinions is rather judgemental, wouldn't you say? :D I'm sure she's happy NOW, but when she gets home and back to her usual wardrobe, make up and hair routines, I would be willing to bet that she's not so pleased. There's a few make over shows here that revisit the people some time on, and the vast majority have gone back to what they were doing before, including most growing out their fashionable, high-maintenance hairdos.

This! ^^
Wowie! Wonderful comments by all! I'm amazed, but not surprised! :toast:
I'd really like to see a "makeover" show that takes in consideration how that person looks before and only enhances it. So if the "makeoveree" has long hair - keep it long and microtrim and condition. A no makeup person? Then very light tinted moisturizer and a lippy gloss. Funky BoHo clothes? Keep same style - just show how to wear same style only better.

What my point is that we all have a natural tendency in our daily style and that should be the focus of how to do better what you do everyday.

In these makeover shows - they're always trying to force the person to alter their routine. Anyone can be glammed up and look "different", but can/will she really be able to maintain it? At the end of the day - she will invariably go back to where she was...as we are all creatures of habit.

Kherome
August 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
I actually think that long hair can make you look younger, if you have the style the suits your face. I prefer the long hair and no make up look in this case. And I don't think she looks a lot younger, if at all. Make up is to strong and she lost her kind of a fairy look.

These shows are all pretty much the same, all of them overreact to get more dramatic effect, shock people.

I found this video of Tyra Banks show. They cut her hair from about knee to chin length.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmsJD-rk6GQ

I think in this one her bangs are a bit too long, they don't suit her face and also the way she dresses makes her look older. They could easily cut it to waist, it looks so healthy. She doesn't wear any make up either. I actually think that long hair can make you look younger and bob can make you look older if you don't have the face for it. She looks 30 something after IMO.

I find Tyra a bit mean, when it comes to cutting long hair (I saw a video where she played a hairdresser and made a mess out of girls hair).
If they just put on some jeans and cute top, light make up, cut her hair to hip or waist and cut her bangs differently she would probably look like a teenager.

I don't like Tyra myself, either. But I have to say that her hair didn't look super healthy after, say, waist. I think she looked great after, but she's gonna hate the upkeep!

Nae
August 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Eh, the trouble is that when you get old you are.......old.

You can look old with short hair, my grandmother certainly does. And you can look old with longer hair.

Young people generally look young with long hair and AND they look young with short hair.

I personally don't see that a hairstyle can make a big difference in the perceived age of the person wearing that hairstyle.

Now, a nicely styled hair style can look BETTER than one that is unkempt and a pretty outfit can look BETTER than a grungy old t-shirt covered with holes but that doesn't effect age but it might effect perceived age because in our culture younger seems to equal better.

dulce
August 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
I have yet to ever see a makeover show,that didn't cut and colour.They don't seem to know any other options.

going gray
August 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
I don't know how to post photos, but I can honestly say I look younger in my avatar then I did with those short chopping or shoulder length styles.

I agree, just wait a week or two when the excitement wears off, she'll realize, oops, miss my hair.

Also, as already written above, she had no makeup on with her long hair & naturally they changed her clothes.

Bogus, all baloney!

going gray
August 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, imagine how she would look with some gorgeous updo and makeup!

These shows annoy me SO much, women of a certain age are NOT allowed to age gracefully, it's ALL about looking younger!!! Well basically, it's ALL about making money!

jeanniet
August 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Eh, the trouble is that when you get old you are.......old.

You can look old with short hair, my grandmother certainly does. And you can look old with longer hair.

Young people generally look young with long hair and AND they look young with short hair.

I personally don't see that a hairstyle can make a big difference in the perceived age of the person wearing that hairstyle.

Now, a nicely styled hair style can look BETTER than one that is unkempt and a pretty outfit can look BETTER than a grungy old t-shirt covered with holes but that doesn't effect age but it might effect perceived age because in our culture younger seems to equal better.

It also buys into the notion that there is something wrong with getting older--that you can only look good when you're young, or that only young people feel good about themselves. There are studies that show most women feel best about themselves when they're over 40, so why put out articles designed to make older women feel bad if they don't look younger than they are? And what is wrong with looking your age anyway?

humble_knight
August 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
so why put out articles designed to make older women feel bad if they don't look younger than they are?

What age-group of journalists write those type of articles? I'd guess at 20s and 30s. Ageism is rife in media and unfortunately against older women.

chen bao jun
August 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
It's about making money. there's a certain section of the population who is really seeking to look younger and will run to the hairdresser if they think that will do it--which of course is good for hairdressers financially.
She looked exactly the same age in both photos. She looked more 'styled' and 'mainstream' in the second photo, but not any younger. Maybe it is a look she likes and then she won't mind the upkeep. There is definitely more maintenance involved in the shorter hair photot.
I hate upkeep and thus am keeping my hair long. Unlayered. its so easy to just put up then.
Didn't they make her blonder in the 2nd photo too.
I doubt Locks of Love took her hair.

Unicorn
August 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
While I like the new hair cut, I much prefer her long hair. As posted throughout this thread, if she had exactly the same makeover without ANY change to her hair length, it would have had the same degree of difference to the way she looked.

She had beautiful hair, a trim with a waist length Veronica Lake do, would have been glorious and I think it would have suited her face and her hair type.

http://www.seraphicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Annex-Lake-Veronica_10.jpg

Unicorn

Artisticat
August 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
She had beautiful hair, a trim with a waist length Veronica Lake do, would have been glorious and I think it would have suited her face and her hair type.

http://www.seraphicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Annex-Lake-Veronica_10.jpg

Unicorn

That Veronica Lake picture is gorgeousness personified!

Sharysa
August 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Mom just asked me when I was going to cut my hair this morning because it made me look older.

Looking older isn't a problem when you're constantly being mistaken for a high school student in your early twenties.

faellen
August 3rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Oh dear, the Daily Fail again. She does look younger now in my opinion, but I'd say that's due to the make-up, not the hair. Still, hopefully she's happy with her new look.

Silver Sister
August 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
It IS all about making money on hair maintenance, color, make up, AND her TEETH were whitened, etc. I wish they'd post a pic of her 1 mo. after the makeover when no one is offering platitudes about how beautiful she looks. She appears to like a low maintenance look, and the new appearance with eye make up and sleek style are much harder to maintain.

She was also wearing an invisible beige top that didn't compliment her hair or skin.

If they'd trimmed her hair, put it up-do, added earrings and light makeup, they coulda' told her how beautiful she was...without lopping off the length. I vote for the long hair look. I'm in my 60's and growing mine.

Katrine
August 3rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
This 'Ambush Makeover' Link showed up in my FB feed yesterday. I felt sad as soon as I saw her before pic - all that beautiful thick gorgeous blonde hip length hair most likely on the salon floor. I did also wonder why her hair wasn't longer if she last cut it back in grade school. It should have been past the floor by now! She did seem happy with it so that was nice. I can't help but think she's going to grow it right back out because she won't like the extra work involved in maintaining that new hair do.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Why is it that they can only chop long hair off into some kind of bob style? I mean... this is repetitive for these kinds of shows, isn't it? Is that all those hair dressers can think of, I wonder? Is it some pre-scripted rule? Long hair? Oh, right, bob! <snip> IMO, it just makes her look a little different. If they were to have made her up and blown-out her long hair, she would have looked *amazing*!

alexis917
August 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
I thought so too....when they said she was 58, she had over forty years. Even if she had a pixie, I would think it would be longer. I assumed I'd see classic.
Her hair was pretty though- and her new haircut is more modern, but not necessarily younger. I feel like her lipstick makes her look older....I don't think that color suits her.
But hey, if she's happy, good for her!

akilina
August 3rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Honestly, after reading comments all I can conclude is....SHE agreed to the makeover. No one forced her and tied her down to a chair and did something terrible to her without her consent. No one would do a makeover unless they WANTED it.
If she's happy then cool. Perhaps she was at a stand still feeling she needed this change in her life (idk i didnt read the article) I don't see the point in getting judgmental about something done to someone we'll probably never meet. Usually, yeah, when makeovers happen no matter what length of hair, they take it short because its the most obvious way to completely change their look. Its just a simple fact. It may be disappointing to see long hair gone, but if she's happy why the big deal? If she's unhappy a week from now who cares? It was her choice to go thru with this. It would just be taking responsibility for something she willingly did.
I don't feel bad for her that they cut her hair short, the cut is still pretty, and i don't blame any of the people who conducted the whole thing because its not like they are evil master minds who lured her in and forced this makeover on her.
She was not ugly before, I doubt she would be unattractive once all the caked makeup and too dark eyes are washed off. She'd probably even look alot better after. Hair was cut off?? IT GROWS BACK. ;) if she doesn't like it she could grow it back out. Nothing is forcing her to keep coloring her hair, or wearing makeup unless she wants to. Like I said before, I hate how media makes some people feel that they are lesser if they don't spend money on their appearance,

P.s. I wonder if by "hasn't had a hair cut since 6th grade" meant that she just hadn't cut off a significant amount and only did trims? Her ends looked very nice! I can't imagine that hair could go over 40 years with no cut and still look that nice.

In2wishin
August 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
Daily fail I say!

Oh dear, the Daily Fail again. .

In their defense, this is a regular segment on "Good Morning America" and the comment "You look 20 years younger" came from the daughter who nominated Mom for the makeover so the whole before/after is GMA's doing.

Also regarding the length. She says she hasn't cut her hair since 6th grade. I am guessing that there have been a few trims but no cuts. Also, who knows what her terminal length is?

spidermom
August 3rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
I think her face looked wider with the new cut, but I hope she enjoys it. A new look can be fun!

cmdinoto
August 3rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
I think she looked more unique with the longer hair. A majority of women who are in their 50's have short hair but she had something special. I think it is wonderful that she donated her hair, that is very special and could make someone very happy.

Temme
August 3rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
I don't like how it says "And after seeing herself in the mirror for the first time." I makes it sound like the reason she had long hair is that she couldn't see herself clearly. I may have interpreted it wrong though.

Artisticat
August 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Why is it that they can only chop long hair off into some kind of bob style? I mean... this is repetitive for these kinds of shows, isn't it? Is that all those hair dressers can think of, I wonder? Is it some pre-scripted rule? Long hair? Oh, right, bob! <snip> IMO, it just makes her look a little different. If they were to have made her up and blown-out her long hair, she would have looked *amazing*!

I couldn't agree more.
Here's another GMA makeover...notice on pic #2 the "longhair" ends up with hair barely brushing shoulder length. This cut looks VERY high maintenance!!!
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/slideshow?id=9695865

And I do agree with Akilina- SHE DID CHOOSE to participate in the makeover, etc. But this constant drumbeat that long hair needs to be "fixed" is at the core of the discussion. Instead of celebrating the effort, years and care it takes to actually grow it this long...it is merely snipped away in seconds as if it is a major fashion faux pas. :scissors:

I think anyone over 50 (like me) kicks a** going against the grain to grow your hair long and proud. It's very easy to conform to "helmet head" status just to fit in. :whip:

jeanniet
August 3rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
Honestly, after reading comments all I can conclude is....SHE agreed to the makeover. No one forced her and tied her down to a chair and did something terrible to her without her consent. No one would do a makeover unless they WANTED it.
If she's happy then cool. Perhaps she was at a stand still feeling she needed this change in her life (idk i didnt read the article) I don't see the point in getting judgmental about something done to someone we'll probably never meet. Usually, yeah, when makeovers happen no matter what length of hair, they take it short because its the most obvious way to completely change their look. Its just a simple fact. It may be disappointing to see long hair gone, but if she's happy why the big deal? If she's unhappy a week from now who cares? It was her choice to go thru with this. It would just be taking responsibility for something she willingly did.
I don't feel bad for her that they cut her hair short, the cut is still pretty, and i don't blame any of the people who conducted the whole thing because its not like they are evil master minds who lured her in and forced this makeover on her.
She was not ugly before, I doubt she would be unattractive once all the caked makeup and too dark eyes are washed off. She'd probably even look alot better after. Hair was cut off?? IT GROWS BACK. ;) if she doesn't like it she could grow it back out. Nothing is forcing her to keep coloring her hair, or wearing makeup unless she wants to. Like I said before, I hate how media makes some people feel that they are lesser if they don't spend money on their appearance,

P.s. I wonder if by "hasn't had a hair cut since 6th grade" meant that she just hadn't cut off a significant amount and only did trims? Her ends looked very nice! I can't imagine that hair could go over 40 years with no cut and still look that nice.

Well, again, there's nothing wrong with an older woman cutting her hair. Heck, I cut mine shorter because I felt like doing it, and would've done it whether it made me look older, younger, or like an alien. It's the constant implication that older women can't have long hair that is the problem. That, and the fact that the article is homing in on the hair, when very clearly there were a number of things done to enhance her appearance. It's deceptive. There's no reason to think that she wouldn't have looked just as good leaving her hair alone and just doing her makeup, wardrobe, etc. If she looked so great with just the cut, why couldn't they show her that way? Because she'd still look "old"?

SweetBronze
August 4th, 2013, 12:03 AM
An even deeper core to this is that people are going to judge you no matter what and always find something to complain about. I think it's just how people approach others with such arrogance and lack of respect of other peoples feelings when expressing their opinions like calling people rude names because they don't fit their world view. You can't educate a lot of people because their egos get in the way. I got so much abuse when I cut my hair just to go natural because people didn't understand why because they were ignorant to why and didn't want to hear why. Same thing with growing long hair, there are people that have been bullied for having long hair, sometimes it's because of envy other times it's because they don't get it. I don't think mullets are attractive, but who knows a man with a mullet may sweep me off my feet. I think the issue is still how we treat each other as human beings for being different and lacking respect for what we don't understand. "Reality" TV is smoke and mirrors even the news channels in many countries are jokes now.

People that say long hair needs to be fixed should just mind their own businesses and stop being the body police because they don't find something attractive. This lady had to agree to get her hair cut or else she would have been devastated. I understand people always try to "fix" my kinky hair by threating me with perms, it's no fun to have to deal with pushy people that don't understand what no means and think you should fit their idea on how you should look. That's just life, we are humans so most likely filled with emotion, so I understand why people get upset when they have to deal with others.

We all judge people. I try not to and have to catch myself when I do. We're humans judging is going to happen. I don't get mad at people judging me, I get annoyed at peoples arrogance in thinking they know me because of a judgment they made, then this goes back to the ego issue.

Tini'sNewHair
August 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM
oooooomg!!!!!!!!!!! what have they done?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that woman had a BEAUTIFUL long hair ahhhh thats so sad :'(

butterfly_dream
August 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM
To look younger or simply different it’s enough to wear a light makeup and to change the clothes.
Why chop the hair? It takes years to grow it back!
To me the hairdressers chosen for these kinds of show are not able to make a nice updo. :mad:

MaryO
August 4th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Oh dear, wonder why Daily Mail doesn't like long hair! I recall another 'article' from them about something stupid like this. The lady looked lovely with her long hair as well as the shorter cut. She's probably already growing it out again...

Moonfall
August 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I don't like how it says "And after seeing herself in the mirror for the first time." I makes it sound like the reason she had long hair is that she couldn't see herself clearly. I may have interpreted it wrong though.

I agree. And whenever I see mature women with long locks, I admire them. I really like the look - I've always dreamt of having at least classic length, natural grey hair upon reaching that age. I don't care if that would make me look 'old'.

jessicac1
August 4th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Although I do like long hair, I think it is quite hard for an older lady to pull off really long hair. If it was healthy looking and not thinning, itd probably look great. However like in that abc link above and my own dear nan, her hair is thinning so growing it out is kinda out of the question as it sticks against every groove of the head and neck. I do admire people who can pull long hair off at any age though :) eg that renegray haired lady from the m&s ad, she looks fantastic.

I hope I am not also in this boat, my mother has told me NOW (aged 21) that my hair is not thick enough to grow it long and that any longer than current BSL will look witchy and dirty.
So it depends on who you ask, some people always think beyond bsl is witchy.

Pixie2013
August 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Although I absolutely believe that people should do whatever they want with their hair, clothes, makeup, etc, that doesn't mean every style looks good on every person. If you want to wear your hair knee-length, BSL, buzz cut, purple, gray, tiger-striped, whatever, then go for it. It may or may not be the most flattering hairstyle for you but it is your choice. I think this woman's hair looks nice both before and after, but this was absolutely her choice. Nobody forced her onto the show, and having kept her hair the same for over 40 years she surely has had plenty of practice saying no to having her hair cut. She's not exactly a victim here.

alyanna
August 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM
:rolleyes:
She does not look younger.

It's the make-up that made the most difference, IMHO. If they'd just done the make-up and kept the long hair, she would look even younger!

In2wishin
August 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Another article from the same source in praise of longer hair for older women. The comments are interesting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379692/The-Queens-stylist-says-older-women-make-big-mistake-cutting-hair-short-bid-look-young.html

Artisticat
August 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Another article to your article In2wishin:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2384425/Were-told-long-hair-makes-women-40-look-like-mutton-dressed-lamb-But-proof-DONT-need-cut-hair-older.html
Source headline:
"We're always told long hair makes women over 40 look like mutton dressed as lamb. But is this the proof you DON'T need to cut your hair as you get older?"

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/04/article-2384425-1B12EE14000005DC-612_306x497.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/04/article-2384425-1B130522000005DC-43_306x497.jpg

long&blonde
August 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I always find it so sad all makeover shows cut off long hair. Give them all bobs. I found the before picture, her long hair,much more attractive. My honest guess is she did too-but once it's cut,what do you do but fake it? I'd have washed all the makeup off right away & done constant updo's hoping no one notices. Hoping she's happy.

jeanniet
August 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I guess what really bugs me is--what's wrong with looking your age?

Etna
August 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I found the woman in the original article to be much more beautiful with no makeup, long hair and her own choice of clothes. Apparently my beauty ideals don't match up with those of society.

I'm also glad that In2wishin linked the second article also to keep things in balance. Thank-you!

luluj
August 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I want to age gracefully. I want to keep my health and my vitality and above all, I want to enjoy every minute of the aging process, after all, we only get to experience it once in our lifetime.

I loved the before photo, she looked naturally beautiful. In my opinion there was no need for a makeover at all.

“Aging is not “lost youth” but a new stage of opportunity and strength. It’s a different stage of life, and if you are going to pretend it’s youth, you are going to miss it. You are going to miss the surprises, the possibilities, and the evolution that we are just beginning to know about because there are no role models, no guideposts, and no signs” –Betty Friedan

didrash
August 5th, 2013, 06:12 AM
I think with the new hair she actually looks older. Before she had great hair, which somehow accentuated her good figure, she looked much younger that 58 to me. After the change - she looks like a 65-year woman trying very hard to conceal it and failing....

Nae
August 5th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I guess what really bugs me is--what's wrong with looking your age?

No kidding. It is just ridiculous. Since when is being old/older akin to having leprosy? You hear the self-absorbed complaint everywhere, "I don't want to be like that! I don't want to be OLD!! Ewwwww!"

What does that say to my 80 something year old grandmother? That she is inherently less because of her age? That is a disgusting state of mind which contributes to elder abuse in this society. Grrrr. It infuriates me.

massivecnqstdr
August 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I have to laugh at both the first mentioned article, and the one Artisticat posted. I don't see "younger" or "older" with either example. Hair length has nothing to do with perceived age, for me at least! Its all a matter of which you like and which you don't like. I have a feeling the one people are finding looks "older" is just their lesser favorite. And I agree, what's wrong with looking older, anyway??

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Another article to your article In2wishin:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2384425/Were-told-long-hair-makes-women-40-look-like-mutton-dressed-lamb-But-proof-DONT-need-cut-hair-older.html
Source headline:
"We're always told long hair makes women over 40 look like mutton dressed as lamb. But is this the proof you DON'T need to cut your hair as you get older?"

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/04/article-2384425-1B12EE14000005DC-612_306x497.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/04/article-2384425-1B130522000005DC-43_306x497.jpg
This lady doesn't look young in either photo but so what, she looked like a well groomed and attractive middle aged lady. She looks somewhat more attractive in photo #2 because the hairstyle is more flattering to her face. Of course, in neither case is the hair actually LONG. She might look good with way longer hair or she might not. I can't imagine her being unattractive no matter how her hair was. And even if I didn't like a particular style of hair on her, she might like it.

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2013, 10:07 AM
When these people go on and on about hair length, do they never think of updoes?
One reason that as a fifty something I am growing my hair long is because I couldn't do updoes with my short hair.
A lady of a 'certain age' looks so sophisticated and classy in a nice French roll, a classy chignon and in many other styles of updoes and there are updoes to suit all face types. Nothing says 'elegant' more than an older lady who has kept her figure (which doesn't mean being bone thin), going for an evening out at the opera or ballet (or maybe just a nice dinner with hubby or friends) with her white hair upswept, a well-fitted outfit, some low heeled pumps and some 'statement' jewelry (whether real or faux), the kind that young girls don't need and which tends to look best on you after age 60 or so.